Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
Courtesy of today's newspaper, here a season's greetings card from 1940s Finland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I am very interested in that tank's suspension

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ensign Expendable posted:

Yeah, if the plane comes back without some bits, they weren't important anyway. The planes that lost the important bits didn't come back.

Although if you read the paper the actual conclusion is a fairly straightforward 'the worst thing that can happen to a plane is if the pilot gets killed, prioritise protecting him if you can'.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah, if the plane comes back without some bits, they weren't important anyway. The planes that lost the important bits didn't come back.

Yes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Wald

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

GotLag posted:

I am very interested in that tank's suspension

I think it's Spring based

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Nenonen posted:

And the cross beam only lasts 3 days worth of operation.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Tree Bucket posted:

I was wincing the whole time I read that.

An awful lot of historical sword duels ended with the "winner" dying hours or a day later from a punctured lung, blood loss, etc.. Swords are basically big knives, and rule #2 of a knife fight is that the winner is just the last to lose. (Rule #1 is that you're going to get cut, deal with it. Rule #0 is bring a gun)

JaucheCharly posted:

I'm sort of wondering if it's possible to present these things in a fashion that's recognisable to the general audience and be somewhat authentic. We have a century of cinematography telling people that they basically can hide behind car doors when somebody shoots at them, or people drop dead when you shoot or stab them, etc.
Surely Michael Mann has had a scene of somebody hiding behind the body of a car and still catching a rifle bullet (or a pistol bullet through one door, in the standard movie cop move). Cars are only cover if you've got the engine block and wheels between you and the shooter; a rifle bullet will go through both doors like they ain't even there, unless you get lucky and the power window mechanism or a seat frame stops it -- most of a car is just two layers of thin sheetmetal and two layers of cardboard. How much mild steel do you need to stop a rifle bullet? Half an inch? So five cars might stop a bullet (car sheetmetal is ~.05". For the non-Americans, those numbers are 12.7mm and 1.25mm).

The best example (or at least the most memorable one for me) is that scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark where Indy shoots several Nazis in a line with one bullet from the Luger he took from the guy in front.

In a similar vein, my father once laughed out loud at one scene in a Chuck Norris movie -- probably Delta Force -- when they were shooting a brick wall with a Ma Deuce and it was just leaving deep craters in the wall. When Dad did that IRL, each .50 round took out half a brick. (Dad laughed at a lot of scenes in that movie, but over more esoteric "that's not how they actually do it" sort of things.)

I actually use this logic in my work, and tell that story to explain myself if questioned. When rearranging a grocery store and the plan calls for 52 inches' worth of product on a 4-foot shelf and you have to cut back facings on something, cut back on the item that has the most stock. The easy way is to cut back on the thing you have less or none of, so you don't have to box up the overstock, but you have less of it because it's selling, so it needs the space. The thing that's fully stocked three wide is not selling, and would not be hurt by being two wide.

Nenonen posted:

:golfclap:

Edit: on accurate war movies, Master and Commander is pretty good -- they cast young teenagers as midshipmen/lieutenants, for one. The foley work is also great -- they borrowed a 12-pounder gun from a collector and put up a whole lot of mics along the path of the ball, so all the gunfire is the real thing.

Cf the big climactic shootout in Heat, where the sound guy tried and tried to do that scene and the gunfire just didn't sound real enough, and finally Michael Mann told him to just use the audio from the filming of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW0yebyGk-8&t=241s

There's the bit about the sound, but watch the whole thing, it's great. Not a military movie per se, but it's the standard we all want in military movies -- they had Andy McNab train the robbers and cops train the cops, the actors actually cased the joint IRL, and they built a mockup on the range and rehearsed it with live ammo before going downtown and filming it with blanks.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 15, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

quote:

The best example (or at least the most memorable one for me) is that scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark where Indy shoots several Nazis in a line with one bullet from the Luger he took from the guy in front.

Surely that overstated the 9mm's penetration properties.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Master And Commander is great and I am saddened the next movie seems to spent just as much time at sea now in development hell. It always amuses me how washed up the mostly doomed older Midshipmen in the Hornblower TV series actually are too.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Fangz posted:

Surely that overstated the 9mm's penetration properties.

Seems about right for the 7.65x21 version, though.

Counterpoint to Heat and Master and Commander, bad movie gunfire sound is bad, e.g. every minigun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgzxSr6l9Y4&t=68s

That's just the M16 sound dropped an octave with an electric motor whine. A Minigun actually sounds like a bass chainsaw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d84r8gMGxFQ&t=36s

The grenade launcher in the predator clip is just as bad. IRL the sound is kinda disappointing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm8qcspCOyc&t=52s

(starts at the one shown in the movie, but later the M79 and 203 are shown. also lol the hand grenade practice structure at 3:41, designed so that if the trainee throws the pin and drops the grenade, the instructor can bodyslam him/her over the low wall in back to safety. Because that happens more often than you'd think.)

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 15, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

GotLag posted:

There are a lot more amputations now that soldiers are wearing body armour (without the armour they'd have been fatalities instead).

This doesn't make any sense to me though, unless they've started rolling out full body armor kits. Every photo I've ever seen of US soldiers suggests that all the armor is all (sensibly) around the torso, and you're not going to amputate someone's torso.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Somebody gets blown up with an IED. Without armour they catch shrapnel over their entire body and die. With armour their vitals are protected and they live, but one or more of their limbs are still destroyed.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ah, yeah that makes sense.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
T3 HMC and T18 HMC

Queue: M10 Wolverine, Infantry Tank MkI, Hummel, LT vz. 38, Pz38(t), E-50 and E-75, Hellcat trials in the USSR, Allied fictional tanks, crazy Soviet tanks, Light Tank M3A3, Char B1 in German service, Renault NC, Renault D1, Renault R35, Renault D2, Renault R40, 25 mm Hotchkiss gun, LT vz 35, Praga AH-IV, Praga LTL and Pzw 39, T-60 production in difficult years, big guns for the KV-1, A1E1 Independent, PzI Ausf. B, PzI Ausf. C, PzI Ausf. F, Renault FT, Maus in the USSR, 76 mm gun mod of the Matilda

Available for request:

:911:

:britain:

:ussr:
T-37 with ShKAS
Wartime modifications of the T-37 and T-38
SG-122

Tank destroyers on the T-30 and T-40 chassis
45 mm M-42 gun
SU-76 prototype
SU-26/T-26-6
T-60 tanks produced at Stalingrad NEW

:sweden:
L-10 and L-30
Strv m/40
Strv m/42
Landsverk prototypes 1943-1951
Strv m/21
Strv 81 and Strv 101

:poland:
Trials of the TKS and C2P in the USSR
37 mm anti-tank gun

:france:

:godwin:
PzII Ausf. a though b
PzII Ausf. c through C
PzII Ausf. D through E
PzII Ausf. F
PzII trials in the USSR
Pak 97/38
7.5 cm Pak 41
s.FH. 18

:eurovision:

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 19, 2017

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Maus in the USSR NEW

This seems like it could be interesting. Also it got the Beatles song stuck in my head, drat you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I got Springsteen.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Delivery McGee posted:

Seems about right for the 7.65x21 version, though.

Counterpoint to Heat and Master and Commander, bad movie gunfire sound is bad, e.g. every minigun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgzxSr6l9Y4&t=68s

That's just the M16 sound dropped an octave with an electric motor whine. A Minigun actually sounds like a bass chainsaw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d84r8gMGxFQ&t=36s

The grenade launcher in the predator clip is just as bad. IRL the sound is kinda disappointing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm8qcspCOyc&t=52s

(starts at the one shown in the movie, but later the M79 and 203 are shown. also lol the hand grenade practice structure at 3:41, designed so that if the trainee throws the pin and drops the grenade, the instructor can bodyslam him/her over the low wall in back to safety. Because that happens more often than you'd think.)

Plus everyone fires from the hip in that movie.

The Lone Badger posted:

Somebody gets blown up with an IED. Without armour they catch shrapnel over their entire body and die. With armour their vitals are protected and they live, but one or more of their limbs are still destroyed.

A lot of the amputees were also from IED's hitting vehicles in which they were being transported.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

SeanBeansShako posted:

Master And Commander is great and I am saddened the next movie seems to spent just as much time at sea now in development hell. It always amuses me how washed up the mostly doomed older Midshipmen in the Hornblower TV series actually are too.

That movie is great and I always thought it criminal there was only one when it should at least be a trilogy. I didn't even realize there was a sequel in development considering it's been longer than the duration of the Napoleonic wars since the first came out.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

OwlFancier posted:

I got Springsteen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p8spiM11tY

The Leningrad Cowboys, by the way, are Finns who sang in Russian accents in the '80s to make fun of the fading USSR; now they do shows with the Russian Army choir. Pretty :3:, considering the history of Finland vs. USSR.

Pontius Pilate posted:

I didn't even realize there was a sequel in development
Is there? Last I heard, Russell Crowe was pushing for a letter-writing campaign on twitter to convince the studio to do a sequel. But that was in 2010.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 16, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

master and commander was loving rad

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

HEY GAIL posted:

master and commander was loving rad

All those boarding fights so good

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Apparently it was either a flop or however Hollywood calls a low-grossing movie: $150 million budget, $210 worldwide gross. It would be a pleasant surprise if we ever saw a sequel.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

PittTheElder posted:

This doesn't make any sense to me though, unless they've started rolling out full body armor kits. Every photo I've ever seen of US soldiers suggests that all the armor is all (sensibly) around the torso, and you're not going to amputate someone's torso.

this is like something KenM would post on a USA Today puff piece about soldiers getting new body armor

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

All those boarding fights so good
the music!

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Master and Commander is my vote for best historical movie.

It looks like it wasn't necessarily so much that the movie flopped (although it wasn't the success the studio hoped it would be)

http://collider.com/master-and-commander-2-sequel-russell-crowe/

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How does one nation successfully defend against guerrilla warfare, whether it be urban or remote? What are some excellent strategies against, say the intifada, taliban, FARC or the IRA for instance?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Ultimately address what's convincing people to go fight. The recent negotiated settlement with FARC is a good example of this. The efforts in Muslim communities to short circuit extremist recruiting are another.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ultimately address what's convincing people to go fight. The recent negotiated settlement with FARC is a good example of this. The efforts in Muslim communities to short circuit extremist recruiting are another.

I'd say there's some kind of combination with warfare oriented approaches here, since there's very little incentive to sit at the negotiating table if you're winning.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Define "winning"

For most rebel groups that's not dying and being enough of a nuisance that they want to talk to you.

Yeah, win big enough and you are Castro and Che marching on Havana. Congrats you get to be the new government.

Lose big enough and you get to be the Tamil Tigers or any of the others who got outright squashed.

Remember this isn't just negotiations to get the leadership to pack it in its also addressing the underlying issues that make people go join them. The spectacularly unsuccessful counter insurgent operations are the ones where there is widespread support for them and the powers that be either can't or won't address the larger issues (e.g. Batista)

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Define "winning"

For most rebel groups that's not dying and being enough of a nuisance that they want to talk to you.

Yeah, win big enough and you are Castro and Che marching on Havana. Congrats you get to be the new government.

Lose big enough and you get to be the Tamil Tigers or any of the others who got outright squashed.

Remember this isn't just negotiations to get the leadership to pack it in its also addressing the underlying issues that make people go join them. The spectacularly unsuccessful counter insurgent operations are the ones where there is widespread support for them and the powers that be either can't or won't address the larger issues (e.g. Batista)

Yeah, and not all these kinds of insurgent or rebel groups share objectives, or even the same species of objectives as well.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Disinterested posted:

Yeah, and not all these kinds of insurgent or rebel groups share objectives, or even the same species of objectives as well.

Which helps governments a lot. Hive off the people who want a school or three and flush toilets in the village and either make the ideological hard core irrelevant or weak enough to kill off outright.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

"Hearts and minds" is a joke because of how badly it gets implemented but it really is the core of a good counter insurgent strategy. The kicker that often makes it gently caress up is you need to be willing to address what is turning the rebels against you in the first place.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Delivery McGee posted:

There's the bit about the sound, but watch the whole thing, it's great. Not a military movie per se, but it's the standard we all want in military movies -- they had Andy McNab train the robbers and cops train the cops, the actors actually cased the joint IRL, and they built a mockup on the range and rehearsed it with live ammo before going downtown and filming it with blanks.

Way Of The Gun has some really good gunplay in it as well. The director's brother was a SEAL and did a lot of the choreography and gun handling work with the actors, and it shows the difference between cover and concealment. The only downside is that you have to put up with Juliette Lewis playing the most annoying Maguffin ever. On the plus side, it's Sarah Silverman's best role.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Apparently it was either a flop or however Hollywood calls a low-grossing movie: $150 million budget, $210 worldwide gross. It would be a pleasant surprise if we ever saw a sequel.

I bet if it made some poo poo up about him fighting the Ottomans it would sell like crazy in the US but nowadays there's China to consider and who knows what they like in their naval battle movies.

E: like seriously some pap about Maturin getting captured by ottoman slave galleys and Aubrey having to find him, boom summer blockbuster in the US because holy gently caress this country goes insane for "white people fighting brown horde" movies and this will have an extra :911:freedom:911: component.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

FAUXTON posted:

I bet if it made some poo poo up about him fighting the Ottomans it would sell like crazy in the US but nowadays there's China to consider and who knows what they like in their naval battle movies.

I assume sinking Japanese ships.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Delivery McGee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p8spiM11tY

The Leningrad Cowboys, by the way, are Finns who sang in Russian accents in the '80s to make fun of the fading USSR; now they do shows with the Russian Army choir.

RIP Alexandrov Ensemble. They were on the plane crash over the Black Sea last Christmas.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

Cyrano4747 posted:

"Hearts and minds" is a joke because of how badly it gets implemented[...]

Are there cases where it has worked? This has me really curious now.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Phanatic posted:

Way Of The Gun .... On the plus side, it's Sarah Silverman's best role.
And in retrospect it created a real problem for me falling HARD for angry Jewish girls.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I finally caught up on this thread and I want to thank y'all for recommending Poilu and Storm of Steel, they're both excellent books. I just think I read them in the wrong order because I read Poilu first and it seems odd going from a horrifying account of WW1 to a relatively upbeat and gung ho account from Storm of Steel. Does anyone have any recommendations for other WW1 books? Doesn't necessarily have to be a personal account like those two, I would definitely be interested in more of a history of the western front.

Regarding movie chat, one of my favorites is Downfall aka Der Untergang. I have no idea if it's historically accurate in the slightest but I don't really care. I liked it because how narrow the scope of the movie is. It's just the last 10 days of Hitler and set mostly in the fuhrerbunker. If anything it shows just how pathetic Hitler was by 1945.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I think everyone knows Der Runtergang from this famous clip

https://youtu.be/Va6I5YagNDc