Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So I haven't played the last few versions and gave this one a whirl. Who the hell thought the planet climates and anomalies just being icons unless you mouse over the planet was a UI improvement? And you can't turn it off, either. Jesus.

Not a fan of the redone science screen, either. Yeah, it's more like ES than EL now, but guess what, EL had a better science screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Just bought it not sure gonna play it. Endless Legend is totallly bad rear end so we will see with this one. When is it gonna release?

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
Soon, next big update is confirmed to be the release.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Megazver posted:

Not a fan of the redone science screen, either. Yeah, it's more like ES than EL now, but guess what, EL had a better science screen.

Do you mean purely UI wise or in terms of underlying design? Because they changed the underlying design such that the EL style would have been really messy. I'm generally fine with the tech map, my complaint is that I don't like the unit designer but there's no way they're trashing that.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

HiKaizer posted:

I'd personally give Endless Legend more of a pass. It may not have an ending cinematic, but if you're following the story quest victory you do get a lot of narrative building up to that screen. That's not the case for the other victories though for sure.

And besides they're introducing faction specific ending cinematic in Endless Space 2. I miss fluff in 4xs. In early civilization games you had city views that reflected the size of and improvements in your city. I guess they kind of unpacked in he more modern games by showing it directly on the map, but it's really not the same. They also had things like bulletins coming up as in game newspapers and reports about foreign powers described as rumors kn taverns. In early gal civ games, as part of the planet screens they'd have "man on the street reports" about citizen happiness. All that stuff is fluff, but I thought it was really fun.

prometheusbound2 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 25, 2017

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

prometheusbound2 posted:

And besides they're introducing faction specific ending cinematic in Endless Space 2. I miss fluff in RPGs. In early civilization games you had city views that reflected the size of and improvements in your city. I guess they kind of unpacked in he more modern games by showing it directly on the map, but it's really not the same. They also had things like bulletins coming up as in game newspapers and reports about foreign powers described as rumors kn taverns. In early gal civ games, as part of the planet screens they'd have "man on the street reports" about citizen happiness. All that stuff is fluff, but I thought it was really fun.

You're not alone. I think those kind of things had a kind of magic to them. I wish they'd bring things like that back.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Tulip posted:

My understanding is that the game is on sale until release, so if you know you're going to buy it, may as well buy it as soon as you've got the money for it. It's still, y'know, pretty incomplete, and I think needs some balancing, but I'm finding it a lot more enjoyable and engaging than Civ6 and it's certainly got more interesting systems than ES1.

Ah, I wasn't sure if that discount was still ongoing or not, but looking at the prices again it obviously it, just doesn't show a -% next to them.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

You're not alone. I think those kind of things had a kind of magic to them. I wish they'd bring things like that back.

Definitely. Flavor is a big part of what's missing from a lot of 4X games IMO, and EL did a great job up with everything up until the end.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Civ 2 had a live action group of advisors. It was super cheesy. The domestic/entertainment/more adviser was an Elvis impersonator. The foreign advisor was a would be seductress Slacic spy. The military advisor was a jingoistic gym coach type. In Civ 1 and 3 you had a palace that updated with your score. Civ 2 had a throne room. None of these added to the gameplay. But they were great fun. I wonder why the genre fell away from these?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

prometheusbound2 posted:

Civ 2 had a live action group of advisors. It was super cheesy. The domestic/entertainment/more adviser was an Elvis impersonator. The foreign advisor was a would be seductress Slacic spy. The military advisor was a jingoistic gym coach type. In Civ 1 and 3 you had a palace that updated with your score. Civ 2 had a throne room. None of these added to the gameplay. But they were great fun. I wonder why the genre fell away from these?

So they could cut costs to get money from you more easily.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Just played an MP game. Me as Riftborn, D as Lumeris, and B as UE, plus 5 AIs.

D and I started 1 jump apart, and when his influence borders started intruding on my capital's borders I basically decided it was war because he was going to very rapidly swallow my core system peacefully and drowned him in robots. It was fun fighting an opponent who adjusted and adapted their weapon systems to what I was using, as opposed to the AI's near complete randomness.

Riftborn are good, but it's really hard to separate my feelings about their actual performance from my feelings about their music, which is probably my favorite. I think they might be even stronger if it were easier to attract non-Riftborn to your planets. Filling them up with entirely Riftborn leads to monster systems, but it takes a long time and means you're wasting a lot of F. I did find a system with multiple I producing gas giants, that settled instantaneously. I do recommend using your starting hero as a governor and taking the +resources when possible, Riftborn are thirsty for titanium and hyperium.

MP desyncs like crazy. I don't know if anything really fucky happened as a result of it, but it was like every other turn. The other players reported some minor input lag, but nothing like "AI moved a hero" or any of the bullshit that sometimes happens when EL desyncs.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Tulip posted:

D and I started 1 jump apart, and when his influence borders started intruding on my capital's borders I basically decided it was war because he was going to very rapidly swallow my core system peacefully and drowned him in robots. It was fun fighting an opponent who adjusted and adapted their weapon systems to what I was using, as opposed to the AI's near complete randomness.

I noticed that the AI actually does adapt in the latest patch. My usual strategy of all lasers, all the time, was quickly met by enemy fleets with 100% energy defenses.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The Riftborn remind me a lot of the Loa from Sword of the Stars 2, going by the trailer.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

IAmTheRad posted:

So they could cut costs to get money from you more easily.

I haven't seen the numbers but I'd be happy to bet that later civ games have a much bigger budget than civ II did

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Clarste posted:

I noticed that the AI actually does adapt in the latest patch. My usual strategy of all lasers, all the time, was quickly met by enemy fleets with 100% energy defenses.

That's really good news.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I haven't seen the numbers but I'd be happy to bet that later civ games have a much bigger budget than civ II did

They also have much larger development teams and marketing departments.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

IAmTheRad posted:

Basically this. When you have more people asking "hey should we have the live action advisers?" the more opportunities you have for someone to say "nah, I don't think we need them".

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

IAmTheRad posted:

yes, that is what spending way more money on making the games would tend to imply

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So Endless Space 1 is literally $1 right now on Steam.

Also:

Amplitude Studios announced today that the 4X strategy game Endless Space 2, which debuted on Steam Early Access in October, will go into full release on May 19. The game will be available in both a standard and a Digital Deluxe edition, and box collectors will also be able to take advantage of a proper retail release, which will come with a double-side Pathfinder Academy poster and a printed version of The Last Flight of the Gray Owl, a "community-driven" origin story that was written in 2015 for Endless Legend.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Will it be cheaper or the same price to wait for it to be out, or grab it now?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

Will it be cheaper or the same price to wait for it to be out, or grab it now?

They say that you'll lose the discount and it'll go back up to the full $50 or whatever once it releases. If you want to get it cheaper, get it now.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jastiger posted:

They say that you'll lose the discount and it'll go back up to the full $50 or whatever once it releases. If you want to get it cheaper, get it now.

Or I imagine like a year after release it will end up on sale or something too.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

Or I imagine like a year after release it will end up on sale or something too.

Just buy the goddam game.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I do want to buy ES2, but Stellaris just released a new update and that's kind of occupying my space monsters 4x time. I do miss endless style games though.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Buy both and play both. Though I haven't played Stellaris in a very long time, should get around to it.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Flipswitch posted:

Buy both and play both. Though I haven't played Stellaris in a very long time, should get around to it.

The new update is pretty great. Xenophile is still a bit hosed, but being able to start with robots, slaves, or as a hive mind is absolutely great.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Hive mind? Robots? Craver time.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Spanish Matlock posted:

The new update is pretty great. Xenophile is still a bit hosed, but being able to start with robots, slaves, or as a hive mind is absolutely great.

A quick check shows that they've got close to a hundred bucks NZD worth of DLC so shortly after realease, that shouldn't surprise me but it does =[ Serious question: have they actually fixed the major issues of the base game? (I completed a few games after release before dropping it) Specifically, that combat is just two blobs of numbers bumping into each other, expansion has comically bad "Sectors", and midgame development was non-existent other than filling in a backlog of worlds. I hope the new narratives help in the last point, but the former two seem intrinsic, basically making Stellaris a 4X game that terminally hosed up two of the X's. Unfortunate.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Serephina posted:

A quick check shows that they've got close to a hundred bucks NZD worth of DLC so shortly after realease, that shouldn't surprise me but it does =[ Serious question: have they actually fixed the major issues of the base game? (I completed a few games after release before dropping it) Specifically, that combat is just two blobs of numbers bumping into each other, expansion has comically bad "Sectors", and midgame development was non-existent other than filling in a backlog of worlds. I hope the new narratives help in the last point, but the former two seem intrinsic, basically making Stellaris a 4X game that terminally hosed up two of the X's. Unfortunate.

Nope! But it's still pretty fun. It's still, like most paradox games, one or two more major DLC's away from being really good.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Serephina posted:

All those things are still problems yeah. Sectors seem a lot less stupid now though, and also you can just disable the need for them with mods if you want.
You don't really need any of the DLC for most of the improvements though. The game has gotten a fair bit better overall, they just haven't addressed a lot of the biggest issues with it still.

Gonna wait and see on ES2 anyway, everything I've read as of 0.3.4 suggests it's still pretty buggy, completely unbalanced, AI is terrible, and the combat isn't even as interesting as EL or anything. And with only about a month left, including adding new major features and factions, that's coming in a bit too hot for me. Hope it turns out well though, but I've been burned enough on Space 4x games I'll just wait and see instead.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jastiger posted:

If you want to get it cheaper, get it in a year.

Cis Lord
Nov 14, 2016
Got endless space (first one). I keep on getting rocked in combat, and I'm really not sure why. I'm a little confused on how to build up my ships. I'm playing as Harmony if that makes a difference.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Cis Lord posted:

Got endless space (first one). I keep on getting rocked in combat, and I'm really not sure why. I'm a little confused on how to build up my ships. I'm playing as Harmony if that makes a difference.

My unbeatable secret technique is to give them 3 lasers, 1 of each defense module, and then hit the Auto-Upgrade button so it fills in the rest at the same ratio. The AI can't handle all lasers, and you have decent defensive coverage. It probably doesn't have to be lasers, I'm sure kinetics would work too, but I like lasers.

Also I don't fight wars until I have level 2 everything, which is simple enough to research in a hurry after you've already been attacked. Although I guess Harmony is encouraged to have a standing fleet more than the others.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I've always had better results equally splitting every combat ship's armaments between close, medium, and long range, all a different weapon type - so 2 LR missiles, 2 MR lasers, and 2 close combat ballistics, for instance - and then making sure the configuration for each different chassis is divided the same way but with different range assignments. That way your opponent is unable to strategically stack defenses or select tactics to negate your offense; you're always dealing continuous damage that they can't quite mitigate, and if they try to win the damage race by, say, stacking all lasers, you can typically use lots of shields and/or an anti-energy weapon tactic to completely neuter them and hellfuck their fleet.

Then you just rush for that one tech that grants the auto-repair tactic and/or a hero with the talent that lets a fleet regenerate over time and you've got a very beefy all-comers doomfleet capable of grinding most opponents into paste through sheer brute attrition with relatively low casualties.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

El lore question, I've not played as the Roving Clans enough for their quest line to get near the end, how do they intend to ride out the end of Auriga?

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

El lore question, I've not played as the Roving Clans enough for their quest line to get near the end, how do they intend to ride out the end of Auriga?

1) Get a fuckton of Dust
2) Look at all this loving Dust, holy poo poo that's a lot
3) You know, Dust isn't just good to look at, it can do a bunch of magic stuff too!
4) But seriously, watch me swim through my mansions full of Dust like Scrooge McDuck.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I can identify with that at least, god drat

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Demiurge4 posted:

The Riftborn remind me a lot of the Loa from Sword of the Stars 2, going by the trailer.

From what? I wasn't aware they made a sequel. :confused:

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

From what? I wasn't aware they made a sequel. :confused:

We do not speak of it.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

He might've already been making that joke, because I think it'd be difficult for a fan of the first game to somehow never hear about the second, but on the off chance that's legit then yeah, stay ignorant. Learning more will only be crushingly disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Psycho Landlord posted:

He might've already been making that joke, because I think it'd be difficult for a fan of the first game to somehow never hear about the second, but on the off chance that's legit then yeah, stay ignorant. Learning more will only be crushingly disappointing.

Reading the release thread for it here on SA was kind of funny in the same way it is to watch a train crash. (I say as someone who hasn't played any of those games.)