Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I spent all day looking for vulcanism with poor suckers joining me through multicrew. Too bad I had to kick them when I finally found some iron magma vents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

TomR posted:

I spent all day looking for vulcanism with poor suckers joining me through multicrew. Too bad I had to kick them when I finally found some iron magma vents.

Does vulcanism serve a mechanical purpose, or was this just a sightseeing tour?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
You can shoot it and get mats. It's mostly just for something to do though.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Really shows how text-to-speech still sucks donkey balls after all these years...

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Made holo-me as close to real me as I could:

And my ship, reppin' Galcop:

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 16, 2017

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Dongattack posted:

Kinda stopped playing this due to a annoying bug, but i hear you can make your character now? Can you make a hot waifu? Is there a boobslider? When i try to look down at my boobs in VR i can't see them cause of my double chins, so i need them to be bigger.

This is my waifu.

She'll gently caress you up.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Has anyone seen exquisite focus crystals offered as a reward since the patch? There's a bunch of people on the brown sea claiming that none of the "mission reward only" materials are being offered as mission rewards since 2.3 landed.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Pilchenstein posted:

Has anyone seen exquisite focus crystals offered as a reward since the patch? There's a bunch of people on the brown sea claiming that none of the "mission reward only" materials are being offered as mission rewards since 2.3 landed.

If it's typical :frontear:, exquisite focus crystals were broke and disappeared with 2.1 and weren't fixed until 2.2 and probablydefinitely the bug is reintroduced now in 2.3. Don't expect to see them again until 2.4.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Natsuumi posted:

If it's typical :frontear:, exquisite focus crystals were broke and disappeared with 2.1 and weren't fixed until 2.2 and probablydefinitely the bug is reintroduced now in 2.3. Don't expect to see them again until 2.4.
:discourse:

I think my favourite bug so far is the people who are being perpetually trolled by thargoids - every time they try to jump to another system the "unknown" vessel pulls them out of hyperspace to honk at them. :v:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I did some engineering; level 4 efficient beams (2small/2med) and level 5 overcharged multis (3large/1huge) and even without any effects like incendiary or corrosive it seems like I just switched on cheat mode. Everything turns into a floating sieve in like two passes max, small ships like cobras don't have a chance to turn round.

I think I'm going to rack this conda in storage and spec out a decent vulture or all the fun and challenge will be gone for me.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I sorta wish they didn't have a source to draw from for the aliens. This whole loving plot has been spoiled by "thargoids when" from the 84 crew on every bit of media about Elite. There's no mystery.

I get that they're trying to draw that crowd and they probably buy every stupid bit of DLC and paintjob but gently caress, the vague plots that exist with players at least somewhat in involved is what could sell the otherwise shallow universe and gameplay, but the whole thing feels so utterly predetermined because everyone knows the Thargoids from the previous games.

Maybe that's a weird frustration but poo poo, id rather :allears: over how stupid and cheap that poo poo is rather than all of the other awful mechanics in this dumb game.

See you in space for another 200 hours of gameplay that I hate every minute of.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So the last two times I've started Elite, it's lost my keybindings. I use a gamepad, and it works fine in the menus but does fuckall in game now.

I'm getting tired of redoing all my controls. Anyone know what's happening here?

EDIT: Even changing it to a new gamepad setup doesn't work. It just shows keyboard buttons.

Using a DS4 with InputMapper.

Akion fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 16, 2017

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Not having much fun with fixed frag guns on the Vulture, I think I must just be bad at combat piloting. I'll try something else I suppose. Beams any good on a vulture?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Crimson Harvest posted:

Not having much fun with fixed frag guns on the Vulture, I think I must just be bad at combat piloting. I'll try something else I suppose. Beams any good on a vulture?

Traditional consensus is large pulse or Beam lasers on a vulture. Since they made grade 3 cannons and multicannons you might want to try one of those as a substitute, but generally speaking what you're trying to do with the vulture is to take advantage of its high​ maneuverability and it's outsized power distributor.

I personally prefer Beam lasers to pulse lasers, because even though they tend to drain your distributor a little faster, they do a slightly higher base damage to hull.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Crimson Harvest posted:

Large efficient burst lasers with a charge enhanced distributor and you can pretty much do vulture combat with only 2 pips in weapons.

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
I forgot about the bug, and used an AFMU on my discovery scanner. It didn't work any more. After quitting and relaunching the game, it is back.

Just a handy tip for my fellow space herpderp pals.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I sorta wish they didn't have a source to draw from for the aliens. This whole loving plot has been spoiled by "thargoids when" from the 84 crew on every bit of media about Elite. There's no mystery.

I get that they're trying to draw that crowd and they probably buy every stupid bit of DLC and paintjob but gently caress, the vague plots that exist with players at least somewhat in involved is what could sell the otherwise shallow universe and gameplay, but the whole thing feels so utterly predetermined because everyone knows the Thargoids from the previous games.

Maybe that's a weird frustration but poo poo, id rather :allears: over how stupid and cheap that poo poo is rather than all of the other awful mechanics in this dumb game.

See you in space for another 200 hours of gameplay that I hate every minute of.

The 84 crew and anyone else aware of it is like that because Frontier has been teasing out this alien plotline for over 2 years at this point with endless updates of microscopic "progress" pushed out through a stupid ARG that <100 players (more like <10 at any given time) participate in or even see. They are frustrated because that's 2 years of Frontier going "OH GOSH THE BIG REVEAL MAY BE RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER!"

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Breetai posted:

Traditional consensus is large pulse or Beam lasers on a vulture. Since they made grade 3 cannons and multicannons you might want to try one of those as a substitute, but generally speaking what you're trying to do with the vulture is to take advantage of its high​ maneuverability and it's outsized power distributor.

I personally prefer Beam lasers to pulse lasers, because even though they tend to drain your distributor a little faster, they do a slightly higher base damage to hull.

DancingShade posted:

Large efficient burst lasers with a charge enhanced distributor and you can pretty much do vulture combat with only 2 pips in weapons.

Am I meant to fit a size 5 shield on there/ Because I don't have enough power with a 4A reactor to mount any pair of large lasers.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Crimson Harvest posted:

Am I meant to fit a size 5 shield on there/ Because I don't have enough power with a 4A reactor to mount any pair of large lasers.

Always Overcharged Powerplant your combat ships.

I know, it's dumb, but that's how it is these days.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Crimson Harvest posted:

Oh, and sorry, meant to say burst not beam, beams are poo poo vs hulls.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Crimson Harvest posted:

Overcharge your power plant and you can fit whatever you like on it.

^ Oh wow I can't read or refresh.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Breetai posted:

Oh, and sorry, meant to say burst not beam, beams are poo poo vs hulls.

Thanks. The beams worked out OK, I managed to do 3 assassination missions, but the enemy Fer de Lance was really difficult. I'll give bursts a try.

As for modifying this beast, I feel like I'll be less annoyed if I just have it shipped to the various engineers rather than try and fly it myself. drat 8 ton fuel tank.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
When I briefly had a Vulture I don't think I had overcharged power plant. I just changed the priority of modules that weren't essential for combat like FSD, disco scanner etc. I had so much poo poo turned off when my weapons were drawn I used to fly around with emergency oxygen on, like trying to fight underwater.

What's the origin of people naming their ships with 'DFS' in front? I have tried Googling first.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Crimson Harvest posted:

Thanks. The beams worked out OK, I managed to do 3 assassination missions, but the enemy Fer de Lance was really difficult. I'll give bursts a try.

As for modifying this beast, I feel like I'll be less annoyed if I just have it shipped to the various engineers rather than try and fly it myself. drat 8 ton fuel tank.

Well, you can kind of do that - get in jumpy-ship, then call it over when you're there. Immershun timers tho. :(

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

apropos man posted:

What's the origin of people naming their ships with 'DFS' in front? I have tried Googling first.

Join the Discord to find out. :getin:

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Angrymog posted:

Well, you can kind of do that - get in jumpy-ship, then call it over when you're there. Immershun timers tho. :(

Time isn't really my limiting resource, it's enthusiasm. I can order the transfer and do a million other things more fun than jumping 15LY at a time and refueling 75kg per second.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Breetai posted:

My Vulture has a pair of grade 5 overcharge multicannons, one Incendiary Rounds and one Corrosive Shell and I have a blast taking people out with 0-1 pips to weapons. Super-happy-fun space time.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Akion posted:

So the last two times I've started Elite, it's lost my keybindings. I use a gamepad, and it works fine in the menus but does fuckall in game now.

I'm getting tired of redoing all my controls. Anyone know what's happening here?

EDIT: Even changing it to a new gamepad setup doesn't work. It just shows keyboard buttons.

Using a DS4 with InputMapper.

this same poo poo is happening to me

I use a dual shock 4 controller with DS4windows and I don't know why this game hates me now after this update when it was flawless before :shrug:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Just gonna put this here and wait for groans

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Silver Alicorn posted:

Just gonna put this here and wait for groans

Long awaited fifth element sequel looking good.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

coupedeville posted:

this same poo poo is happening to me

I use a dual shock 4 controller with DS4windows and I don't know why this game hates me now after this update when it was flawless before :shrug:

Well at least it isn't just me, I guess. Is there a way to back up the control settings so I can just copy/paste whenever I want to play?

EDIT: There is.
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/42yob3/psa_how_to_prevent_your_custom_bindings_from/

Akion fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 16, 2017

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

A new puzzler in Galactic news

quote:

A group of EM-transmission technology enthusiasts in the Tionisla system claims to have found a message in the exploration data gathered last year as part of a campaign organised by the Children of Raxxla.

A spokesperson for the group, which calls itself The Hamsters, said:

“It was inside one of the beacon modulator wave harmonics, and it seems to be some sort of rhyme. We’ve studied it but have come up with nothing, so we thought we’d share it with the galactic community.”

The message is reprinted in full below.

The river to the underworld

Gaia’s daughter all unfurled

Fourth minor bear in vain

By viper’s sting was slain

Also known as Nemesis

The doom of Chimera

She is tasked with soothing pain

Suckling Odysseus from afar

Mother of the mother of

Leader of the Titans

He transformed into a hawk

A daughter of Daedalion’s

The piercer was how he was known

Mother of Ulysses

Ruler of the winds

God of night, primordial flees

Zeus’ namesake now lies in Sol

Achilles’ favoured horse

Women of vengeance infernal

The vain queen rides not forth

A final word, a course to follow, a poor miser’s sum

If you would understand it all, seek Fibonacci’s Zephyrum

Will probably be solved by this time tomorrow :o:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
So I stopped playing like.. two years ago and just picked the dlc up and am completely lost. I have like 8 mill cred in my name.

Any advice in what direction? I had a underdeveloped vulture but I'm pretty sure in this climate it would suck rear end.

I think I could afford a keelback with a fighter bay and do ??? with it.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Yay. Problem fixed.

So, to recap:

I was getting an instant “EDLauncher has stopped working” error with both the Steam and the regular launcher. Searching around offered all kinds of suggestion as to what this might be and what solutions there are to those problems. One such solution was to try to install the launcher outside of program files and that… didn't work either. But it made an actual error message pop up:

This turned out to be a .NET error, but not of the kind that is in the knowledge base, where a simple reinstall would help. (The FDev support guys also had me double-check that the reason the .NET uninstall/reinstall didn't work wasn't because I wasn't administrator with install rights — that step is mission from the FAQ).

What finally solved it was this: the launcher is asking for a version or compatibility mode that it just doesn't need and which simply does not work — it's an error in the launcher's config files:

CMDR Ares posted:

Sorry about that this issue, it is corrected by the following .net change in our config files:

Change EDLaunch.exe.config - On C:\Program Files (x86)\Frontier\EDLaunch you will find a file named EDLaunch.exe.config. Firstly, make a backup this file by copying it to another location such as your desktop. After that open the EDLaunch.exe.config file with a text editor such as Notepad. You'll see a line with something similar to: < supportedRuntime version="v2.0.50727" /> Simply delete this line and leave the line underneath that states "v4.0" instead, save the file and run the launcher again.

…et voilà, it works.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 16, 2017

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Glenn Quebec posted:

So I stopped playing like.. two years ago and just picked the dlc up and am completely lost. I have like 8 mill cred in my name.

Any advice in what direction? I had a underdeveloped vulture but I'm pretty sure in this climate it would suck rear end.

I think I could afford a keelback with a fighter bay and do ??? with it.

If you want to build up your cash reserves a bit buy an ASP Explorer and fit it with a class 6 passenger module and do a bunch of passenger missions. Look for sightseeing missions that have 2 or 3 stops. And max out your frame shift drive but minimise weight on everything else: you don't generally even need weapons.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Cool. Is there a recommended ship build for fighters they seem cool. I'd kind of like a giant ship like big as hell with mad turrets and fighter bays.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

So I tricked out my anaconda for exploration and was thinking of heading to the veil nebula and then making my way to colonia.

What should I take in the anaconda? My jump range is 40ly, could be higher but I have a fighter bag inside for skrewing around out there. Should I bring an AFMS or a fuel tank? The anaconda's fuel tank seems small.

Where else are good nebulas or places to stop along the way?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Glenn Quebec posted:

Cool. Is there a recommended ship build for fighters they seem cool. I'd kind of like a giant ship like big as hell with mad turrets and fighter bays.

Uh you put a fighter bay in one of the slots?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Like, which ship is recommended to use with a fighter bay. Also that's a great book that your screen name is from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Glenn Quebec posted:

Like, which ship is recommended to use with a fighter bay. Also that's a great book that your screen name is from.

List of all ships that can mount a fighter bay can be found here. http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Fighter_Hangar

• Locked thread