Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

-Blackadder- posted:

Ok, browsing through Amazon Prime's stuff...can I get quick goon reviews for Oasis, You are Wanted, The Night Manager, and Fortitude?

And anything else I'm missing, I suppose. It seems like they add new stuff all the time.

Fortitude is great (though the first season is a little slow).

You think it's doing one genre, Nordic Noir, when BOOM! completely different show. There are some great performances, and it gets quite gory and horrific. Plus, it's occasionally quite funny.

I'd compare it favourably to Twin Peaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The Night Manager is a John Le Carre adaptation with Hugh Laurie and I'm aghast that people are comparing it to other things rather than simply saying that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Most John Le Carre adaptations are boring as hell though

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

-Blackadder- posted:

Ok, browsing through Amazon Prime's stuff...can I get quick goon reviews for Oasis, You are Wanted, The Night Manager, and Fortitude?

And anything else I'm missing, I suppose. It seems like they add new stuff all the time.

Oasis just a pilot, The Night Manager is pretty good with good performances, Fortitude is a very strange ride and batshit nuts and gross at times but it grows on you. Whoever said it's kind of like a Nordic Twin Peaks is correct except I'd say it's way less restrained than Twin Peaks.

Mu Zeta posted:

Most John Le Carre adaptations are boring as hell though

Tinker, Tailor owns.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I just got back from a screening of Episode 1 of American Gods. It is pretty much as direct an adaptation of the book as humanly possible, and also involves an astounding amount of blood.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Mu Zeta posted:

His natural accent is disturbing.

I legitimately didn't know he was British and went "wait, what?" for a moment.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Snak posted:

There are only 4 shows we aren't allowed to talk about in this thread. They are listed in the OP. Unless I'm in for a very big surprise, there's only one that it could possibly be.

Why's the American Anime talk not allowed here anyway?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Banned shows are basically ones where discussion of it inevitably turns into a flurry of bullshit

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're XO's favorite shows and he doesn't want anything spoiled before he gets a chance to watch.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
History's greatest missed opportunity is that we never got a Superman '66 companion TV show to Batman '66. Imagine Superman's pal Jimmy Olson and a spunky Lois Lane as high camp.

I'm bummed out just thinking about it.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

feedmyleg posted:

History's greatest missed opportunity is that we never got a Superman '66 companion TV show to Batman '66. Imagine Superman's pal Jimmy Olson and a spunky Lois Lane as high camp.

I just want to know what Superman's signature dance move would be.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Rewatching Nikita(2010) as good background to drift off to. Great fight choreography, have to wonder how much it helped set the table for the DCverse on CW.

I also spent 7 years thinking Noah Bean was Brandon Routh.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Paracaidas posted:

have to wonder how much it helped set the table for the DCverse on CW.

How so? I don't really see the connection besides Nikita starting 2 years earlier and having action. Supernatural started in 2005 and has action beats. Smallville had ran for 10 years and ended the year before Arrow.

I'm thinking, if anything, Smallville was a pretty successful show by WB/CW standards. It was ending and leaving a hole for a superhero CW show, so they figured Justin Hartley's Green Arrow on Smallville had been a pretty popular character with the fans (and they can't use Batman), Berlanti and Guggenheim had worked in both TV and movies before but also they both worked on the Green Lantern movie (not a claim to fame, but it is experience & relationship with WB), Kreisberg had worked on Vampire Diaries and Fringe, and then it just sort of happened and got successful enough that they backdoor piloted The Flash and so on and so forth and here we are today: A world where Legends Of Tomorrow Season 2 was possible.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

-Blackadder- posted:

The Night Manger is an incredibly well-acted and yet somehow a completely boring show. It's very forgettable in that special The Night Of way.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Longbaugh01 posted:

How so? I don't really see the connection besides Nikita starting 2 years earlier and having action. Supernatural started in 2005 and has action beats. Smallville had ran for 10 years and ended the year before Arrow.

Moreso on the fight scenes. I never watched Supernatural so I can't speak to that, but the fight scenes were well beyond what Smallville was by the time I stopped watching and have a similar feel-i felt-to the Arrow fights

I hopped back to this after finishing Legends Season One. I cannot imagine Season 2 is watchable.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Paracaidas posted:

I hopped back to this after finishing Legends Season One. I cannot imagine Season 2 is watchable.

Legends Season 2 is a huge improvement over Season 1. You won't even believe it. They unfortunately wrote out the best character, but also wrote out the three worst characters, and we spend a good chunk of the season without another one of the weaker characters. Then they introduce two decent new good guys and a trio of familiar, amazingly entertaining villains. The balance is much better, and while there are still some embarrassing episodes (that Civil War one, what were they thinking?), the highs are infinitely higher.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Legends Season 2 is a huge improvement over Season 1. You won't even believe it. They unfortunately wrote out the best character, but also wrote out the three worst characters, and we spend a good chunk of the season without another one of the weaker characters. Then they introduce two decent new good guys and a trio of familiar, amazingly entertaining villains. The balance is much better, and while there are still some embarrassing episodes (that Civil War one, what were they thinking?), the highs are infinitely higher.

As big of an improvement as Parks and Rec from S1 to S2?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Paracaidas posted:

That's one of the hugest leaps in quality ever. Legends is definitely more entertaining in Season 2 (see for yourself), but I'm a gigantic Parks and Rec fan, and I'll be the first one to admit that Season 1 is pretty bad, and a terrible way to introduce anyone to the show.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Paracaidas posted:

That's kind of apples to oranges, but Legends Season 2 is such a vast improvement because the showrunners/writers actually started leaning into it being silly, superhero, time traveling fun and being totally self-aware of what the show is so much so that in one of the opening narrations the character doing it says "Who writes this crap?"

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Paracaidas posted:

Rewatching Nikita(2010) as good background to drift off to. Great fight choreography, have to wonder how much it helped set the table for the DCverse on CW.

I also spent 7 years thinking Noah Bean was Brandon Routh.

Currently watching Bates Motel and had the same reaction when I finally realized Austin Nichols wasn't Shane West.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Longbaugh01 posted:

That's kind of apples to oranges, but Legends Season 2 is such a vast improvement because the showrunners/writers actually started leaning into it being silly, superhero, time traveling fun and being totally self-aware of what the show is so much so that in one of the opening narrations the character doing it says "Who writes this crap?"

poo poo. Selfaware schlock is my kryptonite.

-Blackadder- posted:

Currently watching Bates Motel and had the same reaction when I finally realized Austin Nichols wasn't Shane West.
Welp. Interest level dwindling.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
They also realized that Caity Lotz being a kick-rear end time lesbian was the best part of the show so she became the lead.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Is Time Lesbian her new super-hero name or did she turn out to be the last survivor of some long-dead, time traveling, autogametic alien race?

Honestly, either one would be cool.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, nothing actually interesting.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's just become how the thread refers to her (and other places I've seen)- Captain Sara Lance, Time Lesbian.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
THE NIGHT MANAGER starts off well and then just descends into snooze town. I'm not really sure what the fuss was about.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yeah I stopped watching about halfway through and don't feel like finishing

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

DrVenkman posted:

THE NIGHT MANAGER starts off well and then just descends into snooze town. I'm not really sure what the fuss was about.

It was just so.. Boring.

I think we are way past the point where prestige dramas can play it safe and still stick the landing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you like spy stuff I think it's worth watching to the end. It's a decent show with good performances. There's something about British tv where they make some villains super effeminate for some reason and they are fun to watch. The same thing happened in Skyfall where Javier Bardem wants to both gently caress and kill Bond at the same time.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
They should have went with the original ending where the guy gets the girl, but the villain faces no comeuppance because he's ultimately useful to the intelligence community, and like all of the good guys that were just trying to do the right thing are dead or disgraced. Rather than the pat ending they tacked on for tv.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

feedmyleg posted:

Who would've played Superman?

It would've been William Shatner, wouldn't it?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Wheat Loaf posted:

Who would've played Superman?

It would've been William Shatner, wouldn't it?

James Garner.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Longbaugh01 posted:

James Garner.

I could definitely see this working.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Mulva posted:

They should have went with the original ending where the guy gets the girl, but the villain faces no comeuppance because he's ultimately useful to the intelligence community, and like all of the good guys that were just trying to do the right thing are dead or disgraced. Rather than the pat ending they tacked on for tv.

It's much more of a cynical ending than the Bond-esque adventure they were going for.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Longbaugh01 posted:

James Garner.

Oh my god.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Mu Zeta posted:

The Night Manager is basically Loki playing James Bond and House MD playing the villain. It's fun.

Honestly, this sounds pretty badass. Shame about it getting boring, but I've got a lot of homework to do today so maybe I'll just leave it on as background and see where it goes.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Rhyno posted:

Oh my god.

By the way, in this James Garner Superman '66 Lex Luthor would be played by Telly Savalas because of course he would be played by him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Longbaugh01 posted:

By the way, in this James Garner Superman '66 Lex Luthor would be played by Telly Savalas because of course he would be played by him.

God drat it history, why have you deprived me of this!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Longbaugh01 posted:

Coincidentally, I rewatched The Assassination Bureau (one of my favourite movies) last night, in which Telly Savalas is practically playing Luthor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Why were they so mean to Lilith. She was never nothing but polite, if a bit cold but that was mostly in response to Frasier, Niles, and Martin being mean to her

• Locked thread