Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Node posted:

I know you chug a lot faster in DS3, do you roll farther and more often too? It seems like it. The PVP is so much different compared to 2, which felt better paced.

You can spam roll for like 5 minutes on a good stamina bar in DS3, it's one of the things that make DS3 PvP ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Not being able to invade an area where the boss is dead is such a huge step back in DS3. Same for requiring the host to be embered.

The way DS2 did it, by making you burn an effigy, was the best way to do it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think I'm just going to youtube the ending because I'm loving done and I don't have the energy for this poo poo. gently caress slave knight and gently caress that dragon and gently caress ringed city. Practically every moment of it was a wholly miserable experience and all of a sudden I'm ok with Dark Souls being over. That entire DLC was obnoxious I hated it so much.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
This is stupid but I never liked the audio or visual feedback of hitting enemies in Dark Souls 2. The animations might have something to do with this, but yeah it's a strange thing that stuck out to me.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

CJacobs posted:

This dude argues that walking from one bonfire to another in Dark Souls 1 because you couldn't warp was tedious and boring. Is he serious? It takes like less than 5 minutes to get from the gate of Sen's Fortress down to Quelaag's Domain, probably the farthest you'll have to hoof it unless you backtrack from Anor Londo at some point. I know this because I had to do it because I forgot to ring the bell on my latest playthrough like a goddamn idiot.

it's weird when people bring up only getting fast travel halfway through as a bad thing, because the lack of it made them actually piece everything together in a cool way where if you knew what you were doing then you could easily move from place to place in pretty much no time at all. and if you were going through areas for the first time then you could just level up at any bonfire anyways or go to one of the handful of blacksmiths for gear management if you needed that at any point. and if you really needed to get back to firelink, then, well, just use one of the many shortcuts that lead you back there. none of the sequels have even remotely come close to how well everything was put together in dark souls 1 in terms of map layout. by the time you got the lordvessel you actually had gone to more than a few places and could really start to make use of it, but even then it doesn't give full access because the maps are still built in a way where you should never have to travel far.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

I think I'm just going to youtube the ending because I'm loving done and I don't have the energy for this poo poo. gently caress slave knight and gently caress that dragon and gently caress ringed city. Practically every moment of it was a wholly miserable experience and all of a sudden I'm ok with Dark Souls being over. That entire DLC was obnoxious I hated it so much.

I loved the DLC and thought it had some of the best fights in the series (heck, I would probably put Gael as my favorite fight ever). What's obnoxious about it? :(

New Concept Hole posted:

This is stupid but I never liked the audio or visual feedback of hitting enemies in Dark Souls 2. The animations might have something to do with this, but yeah it's a strange thing that stuck out to me.

It's pretty... crunchy? It definitely has a very distinct sound and feel in DS2. I booted it up a few days ago just to play with the controls a bit and I think the first thing I noticed was the hit audio, it's the most DS2 thing ever :v:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Apr 16, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The angels killed me from plz nerf

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's not a quality issue. It's pretty good. It's the first time the series has really passed my threshold for fun though. It was just relentless to the point that I just want the game to gently caress off.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

New Concept Hole posted:

I actually like the crunchy, obviously compressed and kinda bad sound effects, but the hit reaction animations are very subdued and that doesn't really work in this kind of game, especially when the weapon animations are already more subdued than in the previous games.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Do you really want to call the game with the BONE FIST the one with subdued weapon animations though?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

New Concept Hole posted:

Definetly agree with this. Always felt like DS2 felt like hitting poo poo with whiffle ball bats.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

The angels killed me from plz nerf

And yet they did nothing to nerf the god drat bullshit judicator giants :negative:

I swear those are my least favorite encounters in the game, even surpassing the Pus of Man. The way they can spawn enemies out of sight (or even behind/inside themselves) make for such a clusterfuck. I have nothing to back this up, but I'm pretty sure I got into a couple of guaranteed death situations just from RNG by having multiple witches spawned in such a staggered fashion that I couldn't avoid their shockwaves (and a single hit from that was a near one-shot).

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I think what you're all referring to is how the enemies stagger in response to attacks.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Please stop making dumb defenses of Dark Souls 2 that distract from the smart defenses of Dark Souls 2 tia

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Tallgeese posted:

I think what you're all referring to is how the enemies stagger in response to attacks.

I think it's the visuals of blood, sparks, or even dust upon hitting/being hit not being prominent. The recovery animation for staggers might be part of it too. I've never seen anyone criticize the Foley or the effects from hits in Dark Souls 2 so maybe I'm crazy.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You're not wrong, or at least I definitely feel the same way. It just feels like my attacks are... going through them? Hard to describe but it doesn't feel properly "meaty".

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

Please stop making dumb defenses of Dark Souls 2 that distract from the smart defenses of Dark Souls 2 tia

I like the Shrine of Amana :twisted:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

It's coming up again.

That one room in Brume Tower with the trap door next to the bonfire. The single most torturous four walls in all of Dark Souls <:gonk:>

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CJacobs posted:

This dude argues that walking from one bonfire to another in Dark Souls 1 because you couldn't warp was tedious and boring. Is he serious? It takes like less than 5 minutes to get from the gate of Sen's Fortress down to Quelaag's Domain, probably the farthest you'll have to hoof it unless you backtrack from Anor Londo at some point. I know this because I had to do it because I forgot to ring the bell on my latest playthrough like a goddamn idiot.

Yes? Having to run through multiple areas and through a bunch of enemies to get to a blacksmith was a pain.

A side effect of the lack of warping for a lot of the game is that it did feel like much more of a journey than all the other souls games though. Just doing all your stuff at the bonfire on your own in some forgotten place felt way more atmospheric than constantly teleporting to yet another levelup woman. Saved on loading screens too.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I just got kicked to the start menu with "You don't have the license for this DLC" as the message after picking up the earthseeker lol

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Jose posted:

I just got kicked to the start menu with "You don't have the license for this DLC" as the message after picking up the earthseeker lol

From got bought out by EA. Each new weapon is now seperate DLC

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Weeping Wound posted:

It's coming up again.

That one room in Brume Tower with the trap door next to the bonfire. The single most torturous four walls in all of Dark Souls <:gonk:>

Brume tower owns so hard

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jose posted:

Been kicked out of the game several times now with this message. Amusingly, I don't think its ever been when I'm actually in the DLC.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Yeah, after the second DLC patch dropped i've ran into a about a dozen Crash-to-desktops and twice into the "You don't have the license for this DLC" "error" . Hilariously one time that message pulled me out of being summoned in the middle of the Nameless King.

I think that's more stability issues in the last 10-20 hours than ive seen in hundreds before. From really pulling all strings with this meta-difficulty challenge

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

veni veni veni posted:

*as a low-quality .midi file* Get Good

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Ringed City is the best DLC after Old Hunters, Gael is the best fight after Maria, and Dark Souls 2 is A Bad Game.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
In my opinion, Dark Souls 2 is cool, and good.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You can't have played a lot of video games if you think Dark Souls 2 is a Bad video game. You might not think it's a good Souls game (although you'd be wrong) but as a standalone game compared to other games it's still pretty frickin' good.

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

In my opinion, Dark Souls 2 is cool, and good.
:yeah:

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Gael is the perfect boss to end Dark Souls because in a game that is thematically about cycles and the transient nature of existence you end the game right where you started: one-on-one with a batshit crazy hollow swinging a broken sword.

The Ringed City is also a microcosm of the Souls Experience. A sad, beautiful place that is nothing but an illusion put on by scared, selfish "gods" trying to keep humanity down. Even the boss fights represent Dark Souls in its entirety. You have Those Two Guys, Some Invading rear end in a top hat, A Dragon (with the real boss being the camera), and Big Acrobatic Knight. Hell, it's even got Patches. It's everything Darksouls has been all wrapped up in one nice DLC.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

a goodly game series.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

Brume tower owns so hard

Yeah see this is why you use those barrel hollows to blow up everyone down there before you go down yourself.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dragonwagon posted:

Yeah see this is why you use those barrel hollows to blow up everyone down there before you go down yourself.

I love those guys, they just wanna hang out and hug their barrels and then you come along sending them scurrying for the hills. :allears:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The barrel hollows were the true heroes of the story all along.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the real barrel hollows were the friends we made along the way

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I really liked bonfire ascetics and wish they were in this game

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Projected Heal makes people REALLY angry in duels

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Jose posted:

me too, me too

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jose posted:

I actually do too but I wish there were two ascetic types, one to revive the area and one to bring it to the next NG+ difficulty. I just want to fight bosses more than once without being summoned. :sigh:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I liked being able to get +1/2 etc rings and spells that aren't avialable until NG+ without actually having to do NG+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.
I liked that ng+/ascetic added additional/alternate lore via lord souls.