Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I also read there's a female cockatiel mutation that acts a lot like a male-sings, whistles, heartwings-but also not sure if that's true, or just one or two breeders claiming it or something. Like here, way down in part 3: http://www.justcockatiels.net/sexing-cockatiels.html claims sex-linked yellow cheek females can act like males.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Patrovsky posted:

I had her as the lock screen on my phone, but had to change it, because I would have to stop and stare every time I tried to unlock.

She is cute, but she also knows she is cute, which means she knows that she can wrap me around her pinky claw :3:

I don't think I could handle five of her.

Yeah that cage of lil whiteys is too much :kimchi: I would have gone home with that one on the top left, or maybe the one behind her

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Potato Salad posted:

Are there behavioral oddities that come along with the kind of selective breeding necessary to produce non wild color types?

Behavioral oddities beyond that of :derptiel: standard, of course.

Purely anecdotal but Anais is a whiteface female and in addition to being a chronic egg-layer she gets night frights way more easily than Archer

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Battle Pigeon posted:

I also read there's a female cockatiel mutation that acts a lot like a male-sings, whistles, heartwings-but also not sure if that's true, or just one or two breeders claiming it or something. Like here, way down in part 3: http://www.justcockatiels.net/sexing-cockatiels.html claims sex-linked yellow cheek females can act like males.

why does that page remind me of Timecube

'Tielcube

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I managed to read down to the idea that you can sex a bird with a pendulum, then decided to just scroll around looking admiringly at cockatiel cheek patches to save my sanity

For real though they're so cute.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

It's super easy and 100% accurate to sex a bird with a pendulum.

Step 1: Swing pendulum three times in front of bird.
Step 2: Carefully lower the pendulum onto bird's head.
Step 3: Take a blood sample from bird.
Step 4. Get it DNA sexed.

See?

birds
Jun 28, 2008

So I think my cockatiel might be gay. Or at least that's what the lady I board him with implied. He was completely disinterested in the female bird his cage was placed next to for 4 days.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

I was putting Murphy to bed, and had to show a sliver of light on the other bird's cage. I realized as Kiwi started reacting to me that she's basically a Pokemon. She just kept saying her name over and over again in varying inflections.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

birds posted:

So I think my cockatiel might be gay. Or at least that's what the lady I board him with implied. He was completely disinterested in the female bird his cage was placed next to for 4 days.

Maybe it was an ugly ladytiel.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Youth Decay posted:

Maybe it was an ugly ladytiel.

I am imagining a Gulliver's travels where he goes to the land of the tiels and the tiels are talking to him about how ugly and gross the other tiels are and it's all remarkably petty and stupid like "ugggh his cheeks are VERMILION not SCARLET" and "her crest is 2 millimetres too tall" and so on

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!
Hey, it's been a while. The remaining dove bab is doing wonderfully and looks very handsome.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

little_firebird posted:

Hey, it's been a while. The remaining dove bab is doing wonderfully and looks very handsome.

a good bab

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Hi bird thread yesterday I went to a combined bird and dinosaur park and saw a lot of birbs and scritched some conures. Will have a bunch of pics when I get them off my friend who has an actually good camera but here's one I got in the meantime.

Thanks again GoldStandardConure for the heads up about this place existing :3:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
U.K. Birbgoons check out flamingo land if you haven't been, it's the only zoo I've been too where they have nailed the enclosure size for birds. If you don't see an animal it's because it's chilling out the other end rather than because its space is crammed full of foliage to give the illusion of size like a lot of them do.
They have a huge number of exotic birds in enormous enclosures that they can fly around in. They have this sulphur crested 'too that likes to fly around screaming at the top of his lungs because his enclosure is a huge bowl shape, so the noise echoes and is amplified like the cup of dreams and holy poo poo is it loud.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

little_firebird posted:

A handsome boy

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

learnincurve posted:

U.K. Birbgoons check out flamingo land if you haven't been, it's the only zoo I've been too where they have nailed the enclosure size for birds. If you don't see an animal it's because it's chilling out the other end rather than because its space is crammed full of foliage to give the illusion of size like a lot of them do.
They have a huge number of exotic birds in enormous enclosures that they can fly around in. They have this sulphur crested 'too that likes to fly around screaming at the top of his lungs because his enclosure is a huge bowl shape, so the noise echoes and is amplified like the cup of dreams and holy poo poo is it loud.

I want to go but it's basically completely the opposite side of England to me, sadness. Paignton Zoo is probably the most notable close thing, that's a pretty nice place to visit

little_firebird posted:

Very cute. How tame and interested in human interaction is he?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Organza Quiz posted:

Hi bird thread yesterday I went to a combined bird and dinosaur park and saw a lot of birbs and scritched some conures. Will have a bunch of pics when I get them off my friend who has an actually good camera but here's one I got in the meantime.

is that absolute gently caress head of a corella still there?

It spent a good 20 or so minutes biting my partners ankles (couldn't bite mine because I was wearing Docs), and laughing about it.

gently caress, what a prick of a bird.

Everyday Goast
Nov 27, 2011

spoopy

Organza Quiz posted:

This is the bird park that convinced me to get a sun conure!

Also we went to another bird park recently and i got to handle an african grey and it was the most wonderful bird and it went BOOP in my ear.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

is the bird on the left a fischer's or a peach face? asking for the friend who sent me the pic.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
i met a macaw

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Battle Pigeon posted:

What a fun read! You know I've had bizarre cockatiel gender issues in the past so I enjoyed it.

That bird actually looks content. Did it trick you into losing a hand a few seconds later?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Nah he was pretty chill. He let me give him a pat and some neck scratches, but his neck was very pin feathery, so I went back to head scratches and he was a happy bird.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

GoldStandardConure posted:

is that absolute gently caress head of a corella still there?

It spent a good 20 or so minutes biting my partners ankles (couldn't bite mine because I was wearing Docs), and laughing about it.

gently caress, what a prick of a bird.

There's two of them now! At first they were chasing one of my friends around trying to get at her shoelaces but then they got distracted by a guy whose shoes had velcro strips. Didn't see them go for any actual skin on anyone.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Trebuchet King posted:

is the bird on the left a fischer's or a peach face? asking for the friend who sent me the pic.

The left is a Fischer's, it has the white eye ring. Peaches don't have the eye ring while Fischer's and masked have them.

E: a blue or maybe violet sable Fischer's by the look of it.

E2: maybe cobalt idk the colouring is different on my phone and laptop!! Either way it's definitely a Fischer's and definitely not a peachy.

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Apr 18, 2017

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

So, a question or two for the bird thread.

The breeder I was trying to get a conure from seems to be giving me the runaround, or at least not being straight with me I think, so I want to look somewhere else. Unfortunately bird breeders(at least in the UK) are impossible to find on the internet as far as I can see. I've found one website that essentially is a list of email addresses of breeders who may or may not be active anymore and the site looks like it was made a looong time ago. Does anyone have any advice on how to find bird breeders in the UK? Or can any of the UK bird goons point me to a decent breeder not a million miles away from Suffolk/Norfolk?

While looking down said list for any conure breeders in a semi-sane distance from me I noticed a Hahn's Macaw breeder relatively close by. They look about the size of the conures I've been after and seem very affectionate and playful as well, but I haven't been able to get a good read on their noise levels when they start yelling. Does anyone here have experience with Hahn's Macaws who can weigh in?

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Walking home from work today, I saw two dead galahs underneath a power pole :(. I haven't really seen any wild ones around this part of town. Poor little guys.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Lucy is the same volume as a Hahns and when she gets going she can be LOUD, far far louder than a conure. It's rare with her but you have to be aware that it will occasionally happen. :)

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I know a Hahn's macaw that was rehomed within my partner's family. He is incredibly loud.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Trauma Tank posted:

So, a question or two for the bird thread.

The breeder I was trying to get a conure from seems to be giving me the runaround, or at least not being straight with me I think, so I want to look somewhere else. Unfortunately bird breeders(at least in the UK) are impossible to find on the internet as far as I can see. I've found one website that essentially is a list of email addresses of breeders who may or may not be active anymore and the site looks like it was made a looong time ago. Does anyone have any advice on how to find bird breeders in the UK? Or can any of the UK bird goons point me to a decent breeder not a million miles away from Suffolk/Norfolk?

While looking down said list for any conure breeders in a semi-sane distance from me I noticed a Hahn's Macaw breeder relatively close by. They look about the size of the conures I've been after and seem very affectionate and playful as well, but I haven't been able to get a good read on their noise levels when they start yelling. Does anyone here have experience with Hahn's Macaws who can weigh in?

Hella loud.

You could try emailing zoos and wildlife parks, possibly pet stores if there are any really great UK bird ones, and asking if they know of any. They often work together for breeding programs and conservation projects, like the breeder where we got Ohtori from. Also, go to WHSmith etc, and in the magazine aisles find the pets/wildlife/hobby section, then look for the random bird publications. They very often have adverts inside for breeders (and other things like toy makers or places to buy food etc)

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

These guys look jazzed to chew a fingat. Is it just me, or are corella cockatoos jerks?

Bonus extremely Japanese cockatoo:

Uguu~

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Mizuti posted:

These guys look jazzed to chew a fingat. Is it just me, or are corella cockatoos jerks?

Corellas are loving assholes.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
They're fuckin legends

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

GoldStandardConure posted:

Corellas are loving assholes.

Aren't they supposed to be the smartest of the cockatoos?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Shirec posted:

Aren't they supposed to be the smartest of the cockatoos?

Thats probably why they are assholes.

Lool at dolphins and chimpanzees.

Super smart, super assholes.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
i feel like the reason humans took over the world was that for the most part we have strong empathy but everything else on earth thinks its always funny to always be a massive cock.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

iirc, they are "cleverest," as in they are spatial puzzle solvers

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mizuti posted:

Uguu~

I think you mean "KonichiWAAAAAAAAA"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yoshi has gotten to love showers more and more and more. I think he might be part fish. I may have to buy a wetsuit and a waterproof camera just so I can finally film him shouting out his entire vocabulary and being distracted enough to not fly at the camera. Goddamn it, bird, be adorable sometime when I can take a picture of you without exposing my wiener or water-logging my phone.

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!

Battle Pigeon posted:

Very cute. How tame and interested in human interaction is he?

Admittedly I haven't spent as much time handling him of late, so he still spooks very easily when I reach into the cage (but only if I am clearly trying to interact/step up.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Mizuti posted:

Uguu~

I went in slowly for a scritch, and they absolutely went straight for the fingats. Guy selling them said they were hand raised, and pretty tame. All the biting was very playful.

Did still manage to get some scritches in though.

Now I just need to convince myself not to go to the markets every weekend just to talk to birds.