Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I'm not sure I can keep playing this game until the early game AI cheating gets fixed. It's like the first hour of the game every AI is on Insane difficulty. It's fine if your able to sustain yourself until the initial expansion has passed because then the AI seems to fall into its usual problems but if you get stuck you're screwed. Just started a new game where I was a hyperdrive empire in a spiral arm that was very limited on paths out. Like two. The path to the north was blocked by the dimensional horror so not even an option to sneak by it like you'd have with the Dreadnought. The path to the south was blocked by another empire. And I was a hivemind so there was no playing nice (they were militaristic xenophobes anyways). The problem was pretty obvious early on so I thought I'd have to have an early war and focused on military techs and buildup. After they settled a second colony I declared war to cheese the easy warscore with the undefended colony.

Long story short, I won the initial battle since I was unable to build up enough strength to stop them trying to fight but the AI was literally building three corvettes to my one in replacements (I was tag switching to watch this happen). Despite my entire laser focus on war build up the AI had a third colony in process at the start of the war, two systems fully built with stations, and 13 corvettes to my 15.

On top of that he'd killed an amoeba and a mining drone system. Which is an entire other problem that the early game AI cheats means I've yet to actually fight non-AI empire units in the game since the patch. Sure the big stuff like the Levithans, Crystal Sanctuary, or 2k pirate fleets will stick around for a bit, but anything under 1k fleet power will be dead and gone long before I can ever build up a fleet to take it out.

Yes I know the risks of hyperlane travel but that's how you counter this problem. Early aggression. And early aggression is almost impossible now unless you get super lucky with your neighbors or placement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
You might have encountered one of those early-start empires. They're guys who made it into space 50-100 years earlier and already have 1-2 colonies, and reasonably substantial empires.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Had the prethoryn swarm show up for the first time in one of my games (I'm an aggressive hive mind). They spawned in Sol. Considering I owned a third of the galaxy it was trivial to...

Wait, I got it mixed up. I didn't kill them. The federation that's my biggest expansion roadblock dealt with them. Then they did the hard work of declaring war on ME :getin:

There should really be some unique hive mind dialogue

Also they should really add FE for the other ethoses

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Wiz, please put in a way to unsubscribe/delete mods from the launcher. I went through my subscribed mods and deleted the ones I had left over from earlier patches by sorting by last updated, but that doesn't help with the mods that got deleted from the workshop due to obsolescence or other reasons, and gently caress going through the steamapps workshop folder and opening each zip file therein to determine if a mod is one of the few outdated ones that still works and I'm using (like Ripple Ping).

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

spectralent posted:

You might have encountered one of those early-start empires. They're guys who made it into space 50-100 years earlier and already have 1-2 colonies, and reasonably substantial empires.

I had advanced starts turned off, and they didn't have any particular advanced tech or maxed out worlds. It was literally just the AI was given tons of free resources (just tag switch to any AI at the start and add up how much minerals/energy they have on map and how much they have via the tooltip) and with no penalties to running a food or energy deficit.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
What's the best way to fend off a neighboring empire's expanding borders? I had to reload a save due to my ships being trapped in a lone system due to my neighbor having encroached all nearby systems.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

What was your govt setup and what was his? What traditions did you take? What difficulty is this on? The only cheating the AI gets is a blanket bonus on harder difficulties, as far as any actual checking has found.

If you spend wisely you can rush the AI pretty well even on hard, it just involves some non-intuitive choices. Tech advantages in this game are not huge although they can add up. If you're rushing an early war then tech should be in the far back-seat while you instead focus on enough mineral production to hit full-on corvette production and everything else into energy to support as big of a fleet as you need. Prosperity unlock and the -15% ship cost are basically required, any +leader level traits or civics are highly recommended.

If you had actually focused on war you could have had like 30 corvettes to his 13 and crushed him so hard it doesn't matter if he is building faster (which was probably due to having basic ships instead of upgraded ones and multiple shipyards or a combo of -build time modifiers that you lacked).

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Javes posted:

What's the best way to fend off a neighboring empire's expanding borders? I had to reload a save due to my ships being trapped in a lone system due to my neighbor having encroached all nearby systems.
Murder your neighbors and make them into burgers.

Apart from that, if you are securing borders early, frontier outputs are useful for grabbing space. I usually end up with a couple at the start.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Science Officer Dumb Pants has leveled up and gained a trait: Substance abuser

"how unfortunate for him"

[Upon unpausing, immediately:] Science Officer Dumb Pants has died at the age of 54

Science Officer Dumb Pants should know better than to go ham on his first spaceheroin adventure :arghfist::catdrugs:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Last game I played, one of my science officers also did get the Substance Abuser trait. However they were a perfect immortal machine, so, uh, that didn't really do much. Although it did get me wondering how that worked.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Last game I played, one of my science officers also did get the Substance Abuser trait. However they were a perfect immortal machine, so, uh, that didn't really do much. Although it did get me wondering how that worked.

They got hooked on cybercrack, aka they started playing a really grindo microtransaction and timer based mmo

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

He liked to say mean things about heroin.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Also same.

Question to the thread in general: Roughly how long do you spend per game? I play on "fast", but seem to spend forever with the game paused while I micro-manage planets and spend time playing in the ship designer. My latest game is especially bad because I'm playing pacifist which has involved zero wars for distraction and an increased core world cap. It's 2308 and it's been about 15 hours according to steam play time.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I did some more science.

If you start down the cybernetic/robot path and your capitol is a gaia world you'll gently caress yourself over! :haw:

That might only work if it's your homeworld, so odds of encountering that are probably slim. planet_class pc_tomb_world your homeworld right before transitioning and you too can be tomb-world specialized Necrons I guess?

Wiz, I think Gaia Worlds may be slightly broken.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

So as a test I started a hive mind setup rushing for an early fight. I didn't have a great starting layout, all mineral stations+planet only was 22 income, slightly better on energy and pulled energy nexus tech so that is at +30. At 2210.08 I hit 30 corvettes, my neighbor (fanatic xenophobe spiritualist has a frontier outpost but no colony yet. Sending my fleet out (30/14 naval cap) drops my energy income to -1 and I've got 300 stockpiled.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Maybe it was a drug that let them feel how meat-beings feel.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Transmetropolitan has computer drugs that sapient machines can manufacture for themselves. Maybe it was something like that.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Xik posted:

Question to the thread in general: Roughly how long do you spend per game? I play on "fast", but seem to spend forever with the game paused while I micro-manage planets and spend time playing in the ship designer. My latest game is especially bad because I'm playing pacifist which has involved zero wars for distraction and an increased core world cap. It's 2308 and it's been about 15 hours according to steam play time.
Last two games were finished with domination victories on 2328 and 2296. Real world time is probably somewhere around six or seven hours per game. I try to avoid as much micromanagement as possible, and am almost always on faster or fastest. I like warp, because it is the least hassle. Recently, the way I've been playing is to clear out all of the blockers on new planets (thanks mastery of nature!), build/relocate pops until I can upgrade the government center once, queue everything I want on every tile, and hand it off to a sector with redevelopment turned off. The goal is to have every planet except my capital sectorized. I tend to put most of my focus on territory, resources, and war.

I generally try to snowball up enough minerals so that I can build ships and start knocking over AIs. In my opinion, minerals are the whole core of the game. The mining guilds civic really reads "10% more winning". More minerals means more REXing, which means more resources, which means more minerals. You turn those minerals into fleets by way of shipyards, and ram them into the the AI's mineral fleets. The one with a bigger mineral fleet wins, and gets to take all of the other guy's minerals (colonies). Repeat until game over.

I still haven't even seen one of the final ascendency perks, and I've finished a few utopia games. My games are generally ending before the fourth perks are a thing. I feel like I would have to sit around and do nothing in order to get them. Same deal with megastructures.

My suggestions for how to vary it up? I would like to see some victory conditions that don't involve turning everybody else inside out, like a culture victory from civ. I know the federation victory exists, but it feels kind of weak. Some sort of megastructure project that results in winning the game would be neat. I also think tech should have a bigger impact. Particularly with weapons, the return on investment from research is pretty weak. An empire that is higher up in tech than another should have a sizable advantage. Right now, numbers are enough to overcome most things, thus the prevalent mineral snowball strategy.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 16, 2017

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Turns out gene modding is also incompatible with at least cybernetics. When I completed the project all my the pops I gene tailored to live on other planet types reverted to continental preference and got their slow breeder trait back.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Magil Zeal posted:

I'd like to use battleships, but it seems like whenever I field them they always die first whenever I go against a major threat. And they're a very hefty expense to be replacing.

In particular, look at Fallen Empires: all of their big ships have two free XL slots. An XL slot weapon can't reliably hit anything except battleships. Remove battleships from your lineup and those are much less useful slots. Also titan lasers just one-shot anything, so I'd rather they hit something cheap than a battleship.

I tried to use them, I really did. It just wasn't getting me good results.

I always mount focused arc emitters on my battleships, and in a closing engagement they melt the gently caress out of corvettes before the battle proper begins and they revert to murdering larger ships.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Regardless of their effectiveness I'll always use battleships because I like power of two symmetry in my fleets. All fleets I make are 8 battleships, 16 cruisers, 32 destroyers and 64 corvettes. That way it's easy to tell at a glance how many ships I need to replenish a depleted fleet, and the split fleet button always splits such fleets exactly even.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I just use equal numbers of each.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Reveilled posted:

Regardless of their effectiveness I'll always use battleships because I like power of two symmetry in my fleets. All fleets I make are 8 battleships, 16 cruisers, 32 destroyers and 64 corvettes. That way it's easy to tell at a glance how many ships I need to replenish a depleted fleet, and the split fleet button always splits such fleets exactly even.

...that still works fine while skipping the BBs though? Just make more fleets.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009
I've researched the tech for Powerplants IV & V. I can upgrade to V on my homeworld but not on my other worlds. Is this a thing?? When did it become so?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

oxford_town posted:

I've researched the tech for Powerplants IV & V. I can upgrade to V on my homeworld but not on my other worlds. Is this a thing?? When did it become so?
It has always been, you can only get the highest version on your capital.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Gene modding via ascendency perks are bonkers when you play as an Overmind. I know they're really pushing the Nerve Staples + Delicious for massive Food gains idea but honestly it's just easier to wipe everyone clean and just make them a Hivemind instead. It kicks in instantly for zero cost/time and your revolting rioting useless populations suddenly becomes a Hivemind in less than a second. Really gives the sense of Invasion of the Bodysnatchers.

I honestly wish there were more ascendency perks like this and if they came much much earlier. Some of the other ones are 'neat' but ultimately useless as you either get them so late it doesn't matter or their benefits are just numerical. Oh wow, Gene Warriors... At that point in the game you own at least a third of the galaxy and can churn out 10 + clones or slaves. Ground invasion is kinda silly in general.

Also endgame is just me churning out Battleships with long ranged lasers.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Lprsti99 posted:

Does -migration attraction make it more likely that pops will emigrate in addition to making it less likely that they will immigrate?

Follow-up, is there a way you could make planets get a stacking -migration attraction effect as the blockers spawn?
Hmm, interesting idea. I'll look into it.

Also thinking of adding a 'Planetary Liquidation' edict and tech to unlock it that creates a blocker once per year but gives a flat +10 food/minerals/energy. So when a planet is almost gutted, you can finish it off quickly.

On a non-Overharvest topic:

It turns out xenos being purged count as free xenos, not slaves, for the purposes of xenophile attraction. In my game, the resulting xenophile faction randomly selecedt the leader of my Fanatic Purifier empire as the faction leader...

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
So someone on Reddit had all their planets wiped clean until all they had left was a habitat full of robots by the Unbidden. The Awakened Empire then killed the Unbidden and saved the galaxy, but not before they now can't do poo poo because they can't build any ships.

I reckon the solution is to allow habitats to build construction ships. Then to add in another megastructure which unlocks with Voidborn which is an "Orbital Drydock". It can basically just be a mega shipyard that has a high maintenence cost but churns out ships pretty fast. Game balance wise just make it the equivalent of a space station with all the assembly yard modules plus the engineering bay plus like 10% or something.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
So I've been on holiday since Utopia hit, what's the new fun / broken builds? I heard that Mechanist is secretly really good due to how ethics attraction works?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Utopia Expanded is a very cool mod.

Workshop summary posted:

• Ringworld Repair - Allows your empire to repair damaged ringworld segments you come across.
  • Advanced Ringworlds - Allows more ringworld habitats to be built from an existing ringworld frame.
  • Advanced buildings - Allows Tier VI buildings to be constructed on ringworlds and your capital planet.
  • Ringworld Construction restriction tweak - Allows ringworlds to be built in systems that have habitable planets in them, however you cannot construct ringworlds in systems that have colonised planets.
  • Dyson Ring Megastructure - Single Megastructure project which allows a Dyson Sphere and a Ringworld to be constructed around the same star at the same time, without having to build two separate projects!
  • Tweaked Megastructure rules - the first stage of any megastructure blocks the construction/upgrade of any other megastructure, however all the upgrade projects do not block upgrades of other megastructures.
  • Extra Ascension Perk slots

I'm not entirely sold on the Dyson ring, it's a bit silly to me to have a whole bunch of people looking up at the infrared glow of a Dyson sphere, but being able to parallel the megastructures is a godsend - note that you cannot have any site construction or upgrade work going on when you being a new megastructure.

There are a couple of bugs - the level 5 and 6 (FE) farms don't get the pacifist idyll unity bonus, and the ringworld extra sections only have 10 tiles each, but those are easy fixes the author should get in soon. A minor bug for the OCD crowd is that the extra segments aren't properly rendered in your empire colours. Being able to repair existing ringworlds is a really nice touch and while it currently serves no gameplay purpose I cannot help but do it. A fully-upgraded ring world has 200 ring (100% habitability) tiles, this mod lets you build really tall.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

Poil posted:

It has always been, you can only get the highest version on your capital.

How strange. Clearly I never noticed. Thanks.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

NihilCredo posted:

...that still works fine while skipping the BBs though? Just make more fleets.

But I want the fleet capacity used by each fleet to be a power of two, and the number of ships of each class in the fleet to be a power of two. That means either using all cruiser or all corvette fleets (boring!) or using all four classes.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Reveilled posted:

But I want the fleet capacity used by each fleet to be a power of two, and the number of ships of each class in the fleet to be a power of two. That means either using all cruiser or all corvette fleets (boring!) or using all four classes.

You don't need total fleet capacity to be a power of two to have easy splitting /reinforcing. You just need a fixed, integer ratio between ship sizes. As long as you build your fleet out of 2^n identical "blocks", it'll still split fine. You're currently using 1:2:4:8 as your building block, but it would work just as well as 0:2:13:5 or whatever.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

So I've been on holiday since Utopia hit, what's the new fun / broken builds? I heard that Mechanist is secretly really good due to how ethics attraction works?

All three of them are viable, however I typically dislike having as homogeneous society as I run the parliamentary civic as Militarist/Egalitarian with the deviant trait on my race, resulting in four or five political factions which I can keep relatively happy for massive influence bonuses (so long as they're not xenophobes), so I tend to ignore Mechanist.

However I'm torn between Psionics and Genetics,

On one hand, I love having psychic demigods whose cruisers can dodge like corvettes... on the other hand, I also enjoy nerve stapling recently integrated populations and terraforming their worlds, because every world should be a Gaia world :colbert:

Also just gene modding everyone in general - It's actually incredible, you can add/remove positive and negative traits to your hearts content and so there is no such thing as undesirable races just people you haven't Liberated, Integrated, and Force Gene modified yet.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

NihilCredo posted:

You don't need total fleet capacity to be a power of two to have easy splitting /reinforcing. You just need a fixed, integer ratio between ship sizes. As long as you build your fleet out of 2^n identical "blocks", it'll still split fine. You're currently using 1:2:4:8 as your building block, but it would work just as well as 0:2:13:5 or whatever.

But if I had a fleet built out 16 0:2:13:15 blocks I'd have to grab a calculator to work out how many destroyers I need to build to reinforce a damaged fleet. Round numbers are easy to remember and look nicer.

I just like powers of two.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Am I blind or is there no hotkey remapping anywhere

I sure would like to move whatever B is bound to—move to nearest rally? Spaceport?—somewhere else; preferably somewhere far away from the space bar, the thing I'm hitting constantly, all the time, even those times I don't want to accidentally recall a blockading fleet without noticing until it's too late.

:downs: <- me, irl

eta: hey while I've got you here: shields recharge in combat right (otherwise the shield capacitor would be completely useless?)

(a rule: if I have a question, the wiki will answer everything but it)

juche avocado fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 16, 2017

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I wish you could have multiple shroud patrons. I might kludge together some mod that lets me do that, with an increased likelihood of side-effects. So like right now, the mtth for a side effect is 25 years, but if I have two Special Friends, it'll go down to 20 years, all the way down to like 10 or 5 for all four (there is no fifth patron...). Maybe I'll decouple the side effect event, so that at 4 friends, there's 4 separate events, each with a mtth of 5 or 10 years.

The bonuses are more or less all p. good, so it'll probably be imbalanced as heck, but think of all them flavor events...the verisimilitude... :jackbud:

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Ugh this galaxy has another species that looks just like mine. Really wish the game wouldn't let that happen. Just don't use the same portraits for unrelated species when making a new game, please!

I guess I have to go kill them all now, ugh.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

GenericOverusedName posted:

Ugh this galaxy has another species that looks just like mine. Really wish the game wouldn't let that happen. Just don't use the same portraits for unrelated species when making a new game, please!

I guess I have to go kill them all now, ugh.
You can actually enforce that if you edit your species file directly. Theres an option to disallow duplicate portraits. Weird that you can check it normally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I got the Horizon signal event for the first time and I'm going into it completely blind.

Holy poo poo.

• Locked thread