Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a PYF Soundtrack thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Out of Band II posted:

toadies: possum kingdom
screaming trees: nearly lost you
spacehog: in the meantime
cracker: low
meat puppets: backwater

if you want to get froggy there's always third eye blind: semi charmed life, a song specifically about methamphetamine addiction.

Cracker is a hard band to pin down, genre-wise. They get lumped in with '90's alt-rock, but they have a pretty wide range. Johnny Hickman usually gets one good country track on each album. "Been Around the World" could have been a 70's album rock hit.

Fun fact - Kerosene Hat was recorded on an old western movie set. You can hear a bit of an echo in the quiet parts.

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

Sunswipe posted:

Is there a PYF Soundtrack thread?

Yes

Gran Turismo 2 (In-Game Music) -NA Version
1. "Bodyrock (B&H's Body Rob Mix)" Moby
2. "Cars" Fear Factory featuring Gary Numan
3. "Cold Rock the Mic" Apollo 440
4. "Dragula (Hot Rod Herman Mix)" Rob Zombie
5. "Hey Man, Nice Shot" Filter
6. "I Think I'm Paranoid" Garbage
7. "My Favourite Game" The Cardigans
8. "My Heroa" Foo Fighters
9. "Now Is the Time (New Millennium Mix)" The Crystal Method
10. "Push Eject" Boom Boom Satellites
11. "Not If You Were the Last Junkie on Earth" The Dandy Warhols
12. "Sex Type Thing" Stone Temple Pilots
13. "Super Bon Bon" Soul Coughing
14. "Unforgiven" Creed
15. "Use Once & Destroy" Hole
16. "Where It's Atb" Beck

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Look, let's just skip to the one videogame tune none of excise from our heads without a scalpel or shotgun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_zAxPqKa8Y

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Look, let's just skip to the one videogame tune none of excise from our heads without a scalpel or shotgun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_zAxPqKa8Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxkAlzDOPJc
Troll 2 technically was a 90's movie.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

twistedmentat posted:

Though I think that the Grosse Point Blanke soundtrack is probably the earliest catalyst for the resurgence of 80s music.

Towards the late 90s/very early 00s, to me it felt like there seemed to be an 80s nostalgia 'blip' that never really solidified despite a number of successful 80s-nostalgia stuff showing up like Romy and Michelle and The Wedding Singer, too. (Does Never Been Kissed count? It was a late 90s movie, but I thought the main character was supposed to have been more of a late 80s HS student)

But I remember stuff like a Puff Daddy video that stopped dead in its tracks to do a bit from Harlem Nights, a rock band with their video pretty much doing the climax of Back to School, if I recall. Some of the 80s stuff being taken up as fashion things and so on. Ozzy was getting big on TV, I think some of the hair metal acts were getting some resurgence but that never really felt like we got a sort of full-on 80s nostalgia until well into the mid-naughts.

That being said, I don't know if by the mid-00s we just had things like the Rock Band/Guitar Hero games, Transformers movies and performers more evoking an 80s style in things is the reason it feels like the 80s nostalgia feels much more pronounced and solidified to me by about 2005-2009 or so.

Pastry of the Year posted:

It was a thing for a bit.

Wasn't there something similar with various UK acts being promoted as "The _________ UK" in the US? I thought someone said it was due to two different groups having rights to the same name, but in different countries. There was probably some US band called "Air" that it was easier to promote the other in the US with the additional identifier for a few years.

Out of Band II posted:

toadies: possum kingdom

I always got Toadies confused with Possum Dixon, just due to that song.

However, PD did have a song that in the 90s used to get a ton of radio airplay around here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id1T5pn_o7E

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 07:35 on Apr 15, 2017

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Pretty sure I brought it up before, but the 1994 Mortal Kombat soundtrack is preeeeeeeeetty 90's to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPSBJcL3FGI

Edit: I did in fact bring this up. It's still so bizarre. I guarantee the cassette version of this is still sitting somewhere at my parent's place.

Double Edit: Is it just me, or is 90's techno super easy to identify? I don't listen to much electronica stuff, but there seems to be something about 90's and early 2000 techno that just dates it.

The Repo Man has a new favorite as of 10:52 on Apr 15, 2017

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Mortal Kombat theme is the only techno song I think I have ever enjoyed.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAina4g3xkU

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Just how into Dutch Angles were the 90's?

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Possum Kingdom was a one hit wonder, but Rubberneck is an awesome album start to finish. It gets heavy rotation on my playlists. It's definitely worth looking into if youve only.ever heard that one track.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

JediTalentAgent posted:

Wasn't there something similar with various UK acts being promoted as "The _________ UK" in the US? I thought someone said it was due to two different groups having rights to the same name, but in different countries. There was probably some US band called "Air" that it was easier to promote the other in the US with the additional identifier for a few years.

Off the top of my head, there were the Charlatans (billed in the US as the Charlatans UK) and Suede (billed in the US as the London Suede).

I think the "French Band" thing that Air had was just a one-off affectation, though, and it probably tripped up whoever wrote that track listing. They're not billed as "Air French Band" on any recording released before or after Moon Safari. I guess it's like if you see "Academy Award Winner Morgan Freeman" on a poster, you don't assume his parents were just really prescient.

Pastry of the Year has a new favorite as of 13:10 on Apr 15, 2017

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Some US bands did it too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_Heeled_Jack_U.S.A.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
In Canada Bush released as "Bush^x" because another canadian band held the rights to Bush.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Crustashio posted:

In Canada Bush released as "Bush^x" because another canadian band held the rights to Bush.

It always made me think when you were trying to come up with a user name and the one you wanted was already taken so you put in a number.

WeedMastaSnipa is already taken? gently caress! Weedmastasnipa420...no still taken....Weedmastasnipa42069...Ah xWeedmastasnipa42069 is not taken.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Crustashio posted:

Same thing happens to some videogames too. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne is called SMT: Lucifer's Call in PAL territories because of a PC horror game named Nocturne.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Miramax or whoever releasing HK action movies with new rap soundtracks in the US seemed to be a thing in the late 90s for a while.

edit: Also, talking of Miramax, I guess a thing is the 90s feel like the last gasp (no pun intended) of smoking in film. God, all the smoking in 90s movies...

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 16:18 on Apr 15, 2017

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

The Repo Man posted:

It showed you didn't give a gently caress about conforming to rules and standards.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

JediTalentAgent posted:

Miramax or whoever releasing HK action movies with new rap soundtracks in the US seemed to be a thing in the late 90s for a while.

edit: Also, talking of Miramax, I guess a thing is the 90s feel like the last gasp (no pun intended) of smoking in film. God, all the smoking in 90s movies...

Mullholland Falls is basically Smoking! The movie. Every character is smoking in every scene.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

whiteyfats posted:

The Mortal Kombat theme is the only techno song I think I have ever enjoyed.

The Jurassic Park techno remix has been inexplicably buried in history.
https://youtu.be/MYntNIqoF3U

I might be the only person that legitimately likes the songs on Daytona USA. I spent countless hours playing that game on Saturn even with the terrible background pop-up issues. How many racing games let you race against stock cars as a horse?

Bloopsy has a new favorite as of 21:49 on Apr 15, 2017

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Alaois posted:

It was the soundtrack to a movie made in the 90s. Calm down. 80s nostalgia was a very 90s thing. :v:

So by your and that other poster's definition the soundtrack to Forrest Gump is totally 90's because the movie came out in 1994.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

Ferrule posted:

So by your and that other poster's definition the soundtrack to Forrest Gump is totally 90's because the movie came out in 1994.

Anyone who responds to this is going to be drawn into an argument about whether a movie soundtrack is 90s enough. Don't do it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

The Repo Man posted:

When I watched Battlefield Earth, I counted every scene that wasn't filmed exclusively with dutch angles.

IIRC, that number was 0.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I worked at Sam Goody when Romeo and Juliet was released on VHS ( don't think DVDs where a thing yet?) Anyways. I have probably seen that movie more than any other film in my life but...With no sound and never straight through cause it was constantly on the screens while I was working. Goddamn that soundtrack as well.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ferrule posted:

i'm going to take a poo poo on your computer

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Anyone remember Catdog? Reading this thread reminded me of how my dad (a normally rational and sane man) wouldn't let us watch Catdog. His explanation was it was the dumbest idea he had ever seen and a cat and dog could not be attached. He carries that hate with him to this day and still gets pissed if any of his children mention Catdog.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Untrustable posted:

Anyone remember Catdog? Reading this thread reminded me of how my dad (a normally rational and sane man) wouldn't let us watch Catdog. His explanation was it was the dumbest idea he had ever seen and a cat and dog could not be attached. He carries that hate with him to this day and still gets pissed if any of his children mention Catdog.

Your dad is actually awesome

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Untrustable posted:

I remember it and I was allowed to watch it but I distinctly recall my own father saying it was one of the worst things he'd ever seen.

Was that one of the would-be "gross out" (probably not the best way of putting it, but in that kind of wheelhouse) cartoons that showed up in the wake of Ren & Stimpy? Others that occur to me included Cow and Chicken and 2 Stupid Dogs.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I think everything on Nick and cartoon network had some level of gross out humor. That's the most 90s thing.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember it and I was allowed to watch it but I distinctly recall my own father saying it was one of the worst things he'd ever seen.

Was that one of the would-be "gross out" (probably not the best way of putting it, but in that kind of wheelhouse) cartoons that showed up in the wake of Ren & Stimpy? Others that occur to me included Cow and Chicken and 2 Stupid Dogs.

I can't believe Cow and Chicken managed to get the eating carpet joke on air.

And the Chockey Chicken from Rocco's Modern Life.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked the Cartoon Network stuff and some of the Nickelodeon stuff but I liked the Disney stuff best. My favourite was Recess.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wheat Loaf posted:

I liked the Cartoon Network stuff and some of the Nickelodeon stuff but I liked the Disney stuff best. My favourite was Recess.

I used to get high and watch Recess in the mornings after I got off work back in the day. Pretty decent show. Was the movie any good?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

whiteyfats posted:

I used to get high and watch Recess in the mornings after I got off work back in the day. Pretty decent show. Was the movie any good?

It has James Woods as the villain, being James Woods. It's worth a watch just for that.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
On the subject of 90s music, this for some reason got stuck in my head recently even though I haven't heard it in at least 15 years.

Well, this, to be specific: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUyt3oTNI90. My Jewish friends used to blast this all the time.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

whiteyfats posted:

There's a lot of stuff in Rocko's Modern Life that completely went over my head at the time.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

whiteyfats posted:

The thing with Rocco's Modern Life was that they constantly, deliberately, and knowingly tried to slip as much poo poo past the censors as they possibly could. They stopped at nothing, really; after they were forced to change it to Chewey Chicken they kept having Rocco and Heifer go there but every single time from there on out Heifer choked on his chicken.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The thing with Rocco's Modern Life was that they constantly, deliberately, and knowingly tried to slip as much poo poo past the censors as they possibly could. They stopped at nothing, really; after they were forced to change it to Chewey Chicken they kept having Rocco and Heifer go there but every single time from there on out Heifer choked on his chicken.

I know the animaniac's writers had this thing where if they wanted to slip in a bad joke they would write something even worse they knew the censors would say no to, therefore making their original joke look not nearly as bad and then they could be "well can we do this instead?" and the censors would say "sure".

The "Finger prince" joke wasn't supposed to be one of the ones they approved but I guess whoever was auditing the episode that day didn't pick up on it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RagnarokAngel posted:

I know the animaniac's writers had this thing where if they wanted to slip in a bad joke they would write something even worse they knew the censors would say no to, therefore making their original joke look not nearly as bad and then they could be "well can we do this instead?" and the censors would say "sure".

The "Finger prince" joke wasn't supposed to be one of the ones they approved but I guess whoever was auditing the episode that day didn't pick up on it.

The writers have explicitly stated they thought there would be no way in hell the Finger Prince joke would fly, and were as stunned as anyone else.

Wacky Delly posted:

There's a lot of stuff in Rocko's Modern Life that completely went over my head at the time.

I am still amazed they got away with Rocko having a job on a phone sex line. Nevermind the "No-Tell Motel".

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The writers have explicitly stated they thought there would be no way in hell the Finger Prince joke would fly, and were as stunned as anyone else.

I am still amazed they got away with Rocko having a job on a phone sex line. Nevermind the "No-Tell Motel".

At one point they were playing a game that was clearly Spank the Monkey:

Even some of the non-dirty jokes were kinda dark/weird for a kids cartoon.

Like one of the times they go to Chokey/Chewy chicken, before they arrive they see a friend of theirs, a literal chicken, who says she's going to a job interview for Chewy/Chokey Chicken...it then heavily implies she "got the job" and is killed and Heffer may in fact even be eating her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

DrBouvenstein posted:

Like one of the times they go to Chokey/Chewy chicken, before they arrive they see a friend of theirs, a literal chicken, who says she's going to a job interview for Chewy/Chokey Chicken...it then heavily implies she "got the job" and is killed and Heffer may in fact even be eating her.

Implied? I thought it outright showed that happening.