Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
What can you say about ethics that would possibly fill 20 pages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
The only thing I remember from ethics is to not sleep with my clients or steal their money.

Also if I'm caught with a kilo of coke I'll be disbarred in Illinois but reinstated in Kentucky!

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
The hilarious part of legal ethics is that once you get into practice the "may report" versus "shall report" and arcane rules end up boiling down to:

1. Don't steal from the clients.
2. Don't get caught committing crimes of dishonesty / felonies.
3. Do the job they paid you to do.
4. Occasionally tell them about their case.

And frankly from what I've seen in the disciplinary section of the monthly bar journal, unless you're a total goober violating #1 or 2 is the only way to quickly get your ticket punched.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

See my post above re Ashton O'Dwyer.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Around here add:

5. Don't overdraw your IOLTA. Comes up in every loving ethics CLE.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Well, nothing interesting, that's for sure.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

Compusaurus posted:

The only thing I remember from ethics is to not sleep with my clients or steal their money.

Also if I'm caught with a kilo of coke I'll be disbarred in Illinois but reinstated in Kentucky!

Ours is more specific than hthat in Canada. You can sleep with your clients, but you have to drop the file. Also you can sleep with a clients wife, just so long as you're not exploiting information the client gave you about their poo poo relationship.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Newfie posted:

Ours is more specific than hthat in Canada. You can sleep with your clients, but you have to drop the file. Also you can sleep with a clients wife, just so long as you're not exploiting information the client gave you about their poo poo relationship.

please go into detail about when you're exploiting info vs not

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

GamingHyena posted:

The hilarious part of legal ethics is that once you get into practice the "may report" versus "shall report" and arcane rules end up boiling down to:

And frankly from what I've seen in the disciplinary section of the monthly bar journal, unless you're a total goober violating #1 or 2 is the only way to quickly get your ticket punched.

This + conflicts, though. Conflicts matter.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
In California, you can gently caress clients. Also have sex with them.
You're just not allowed to be paid with sex or coerce them.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Seriously, don't comingle your IOLTA.

Regarding updating clients: I have cases so old they're literally older than me. Early 80s cause numbers. Those have mostly gone up and down to the Supreme Court a few times. Some have just been perma-abated. Im pretty sure no one at my faceless client recalls or knows of their existence.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
In Texas we can sleep with our clients. So there is that.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

There was a roughly 20-page case study on ethics we had to submit along with the rest of the bar exam. This alone had a 40% fail rate, and the biggest contribution to the overall fail rate.

Ethics in theory can be hard. Ethics in practice is... well...

GamingHyena posted:

Kalman posted:

This + conflicts, though. Conflicts matter.

Pretty much this, but especially that last one.

I didn't actually make it more than 9 months before my first disciplinary case. A previous client had reported me because I'd won their case, and made sure all their legal costs were covered so they didn't pay a dime. I didn't do that last part without checking with them first (I was entirely within my rights and also obligated to do this). The disciplinary case was judged unfounded after less than a month and dismissed, kind of obvious really. Which goes to show that the clients with diagnosed paranoid schizophrenia aren't the most stable and rational of clients.

Edit: I did not sleep with this client.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Nice piece of fish posted:

There was a roughly 20-page case study on ethics we had to submit along with the rest of the bar exam. This alone had a 40% fail rate, and the biggest contribution to the overall fail rate.

Ethics in theory can be hard. Ethics in practice is... well...

Pretty much this, but especially that last one.

I didn't actually make it more than 9 months before my first disciplinary case. A previous client had reported me because I'd won their case, and made sure all their legal costs were covered so they didn't pay a dime. I didn't do that last part without checking with them first (I was entirely within my rights and also obligated to do this). The disciplinary case was judged unfounded after less than a month and dismissed, kind of obvious really. Which goes to show that the clients with diagnosed paranoid schizophrenia aren't the most stable and rational of clients.

Edit: I did not sleep with this client.

What was the complaint?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The Board here has to act on every complaint even if it's facially crazytown.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
The lawyers who get dinged for things like acting without informing clients or for conflicts nowadays have got to be craven, idiotic, lazy, or a combination of the three.

I can at least see how it happened before everything was on computers, but now there is truly no excuse for doing that stuff accidentally. Hell, e-mail should have solved most of the problems with communicating with your client, not just in how easy it made staying in touch, but also the documentation of it.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Pook Good Mook posted:

The lawyers who get dinged for things like acting without informing clients or for conflicts nowadays have got to be craven, idiotic, lazy, or a combination of the three.

I can at least see how it happened before everything was on computers, but now there is truly no excuse for doing that stuff accidentally. Hell, e-mail should have solved most of the problems with communicating with your client, not just in how easy it made staying in touch, but also the documentation of it.

Plenty of perfectly good lawyers get dinged for this bc some clients expect more communication than is necessary. Especially in retrospect if you lost their case.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Look Sir Droids posted:

Plenty of perfectly good lawyers get dinged for this bc some clients expect more communication than is necessary. Especially in retrospect if you lost their case.

I should have clarified, I meant legitimately dinged.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I slept with my client

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
For all you State attorneys, getting hosed by the Government doesn't count.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

mastershakeman posted:

please go into detail about when you're exploiting info vs not

The example we were given was a lawyer at our professor's firm heard from his client how he was likely going to get divorced. So that lawyer then slept with the clients wife knowing this information. If you just sleep with the clients wife without that knowledge, supposedly not grounds for sanctions with the law society.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I slept with my client

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Lote posted:

What was the complaint?

made sure all their legal costs were covered so they didn't pay a dime.

This. Literally. I assume (the complaint wasn't all that coherent) that they wanted the option of paying for it all themselves? It'd probably be an ethics violation for me to allow that, though. I don't think it's ever come up as an issue, so I don't know.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Absolutely. And it is a profession full of people who will gladly use any excuse to hang you for the slightest fuckup or omission. I'm glad some collegiality still remains, but that is quickly evaporating in today's corporate law environment.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Seems more like lawyers underreport other lawyers. I love reading the bar journal discipline section and seeing all these lovely lawyers that I've run across over the years, finally getting disbarred.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Seems more like lawyers underreport other lawyers. I love reading the bar journal discipline section and seeing all these lovely lawyers that I've run across over the years, finally getting disbarred.

This is certainly the case in the criminal bar. Just once it would be nice to read about a prosecutor who gets nailed on a violation of 3.6 (Trial Publicity).

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Seriously, don't comingle your IOLTA.

The professor I'm a research assistant for has me keep tabs on D-board opinions and 75% of them are solo lawyers loving this up.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

The only reason I read the bar journal.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Toona the Cat posted:

The professor I'm a research assistant for has me keep tabs on D-board opinions and 75% of them are solo lawyers loving this up.

My dad's position is that firm lawyers have a huge step up in the "don't get disciplined" race because even if they wanted to steal the money they couldn't. Well at least at firms large enough to have an accountant type person. Now that accountant type person can and does steal money all the time, but your bar card will be fine.

edit: I have no position because I am a lazy government attorney.

nm fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 16, 2017

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
The most unethical thing you can do that will get you suspended immediately is not paying your yearly extortion to the state bar.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

nm posted:

My dad's position is that firm lawyers have a huge step up in the "don't get disciplined" race because even if they wanted to steal the money they couldn't. Well at least at firms large enough to have an accountant type person. Now that accountant type person can and does steal money all the time, but your bar card will be fine.

edit: I have no position because I am a lazy government attorney.

my old firm had an accountant steal millions over years and they only found out when she quit and went to some sort of hardware store business which noticed her theft within months and the cops told the law firm to maybe look around

nm
Jan 28, 2008

sullat posted:

The most unethical thing you can do that will get you suspended immediately is not paying your yearly extortion to the state bar.

Actually, CA bar gives you a 6 months grace period with a $100 penalty. Also, state agencies are really bad with paying on time, but really good at talking their way out of paying a penalty on 100 attorneys.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Yeah, that's the other side of the coin. The same collegiality that protects the innocent also protects the guilty. I guess that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

Pook Good Mook posted:

This is certainly the case in the criminal bar. Just once it would be nice to read about a prosecutor who gets nailed on a violation of 3.6 (Trial Publicity).

What's the violation there, public presumption of innocence?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

nm posted:

Actually, CA bar gives you a 6 months grace period with a $100 penalty. Also, state agencies are really bad with paying on time, but really good at talking their way out of paying a penalty on 100 attorneys.

Look at this guy whose agency actually pays his bar fees directly. (Ours makes us pay them and then reimburses us later and it is the STUPIDEST GODDAMNED THING.)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Look at this guy whose agency pays his bar dues at all.
But hey, we also got our mileage reimbursement cut 20%

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

joat mon posted:

Look at this guy whose agency pays his bar dues at all.
But hey, we also got our mileage reimbursement cut 20%

Look at this guy whose agency pays mileage.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I mean, my agency pays mileage and pays my bar dues and flies me places. Im not complaining just mocking our poor public defender friend.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Yeah, that's the other side of the coin. The same collegiality that protects the innocent also protects the guilty. I guess that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

What's the violation there, public presumption of innocence?

http://www.americanbar.org/groups/professional_responsibility/publications/model_rules_of_professional_conduct/rule_3_6_trial_publicity.html

quote:

(a) A lawyer who is participating or has participated in the investigation or litigation of a matter shall not make an extrajudicial statement that the lawyer knows or reasonably should know will be disseminated by means of public communication and will have a substantial likelihood of materially prejudicing an adjudicative proceeding in the matter. Rule 3.6: Trial Publicity
Advocate
Rule 3.6 Trial Publicity

(a) A lawyer who is participating or has participated in the investigation or litigation of a matter shall not make an extrajudicial statement that the lawyer knows or reasonably should know will be disseminated by means of public communication and will have a substantial likelihood of materially prejudicing an adjudicative proceeding in the matter.

(b) Notwithstanding paragraph (a), a lawyer may state:

(1) the claim, offense or defense involved and, except when prohibited by law, the identity of the persons involved;

(2) information contained in a public record;

(3) that an investigation of a matter is in progress;

(4) the scheduling or result of any step in litigation;

(5) a request for assistance in obtaining evidence and information necessary thereto;

(6) a warning of danger concerning the behavior of a person involved, when there is reason to believe that there exists the likelihood of substantial harm to an individual or to the public interest; and

(7) in a criminal case, in addition to subparagraphs (1) through (6):

(i) the identity, residence, occupation and family status of the accused;

(ii) if the accused has not been apprehended, information necessary to aid in apprehension of that person;

(iii) the fact, time and place of arrest; and

(iv) the identity of investigating and arresting officers or agencies and the length of the investigation.

(c) Notwithstanding paragraph (a), a lawyer may make a statement that a reasonable lawyer would believe is required to protect a client from the substantial undue prejudicial effect of recent publicity not initiated by the lawyer or the lawyer's client. A statement made pursuant to this paragraph shall be limited to such information as is necessary to mitigate the recent adverse publicity.

(d) No lawyer associated in a firm or government agency with a lawyer subject to paragraph (a) shall make a statement prohibited by paragraph (a).

Local Prosecutors violate section a) all the time, especially in small jurisdictions.

I'm also partial to 3.8, "Special Responsibilities of a Prosecutor."

quote:

The prosecutor in a criminal case shall: (a) refrain from prosecuting a charge that the prosecutor knows is not supported by probable cause

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 17, 2017

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain
Speaking of ethics, the MPRE scores just posted and the site promptly crashed. Yay...

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Pook Good Mook posted:

http://www.americanbar.org/groups/professional_responsibility/publications/model_rules_of_professional_conduct/rule_3_6_trial_publicity.html

Local Prosecutors violate section a) all the time, especially in small jurisdictions.

I'm also partial to 3.8, "Special Responsibilities of a Prosecutor."

I'm pretty sure this is part of the reason the Duke Lacrosse rape prosecutor got disbarred. So it has happened before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Look Sir Droids posted:

I'm pretty sure this is part of the reason the Duke Lacrosse rape prosecutor got disbarred. So it has happened before.

So you're saying Nancy Grace is...good?