Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Cyrano4747 posted:

"Hearts and minds" is a joke because of how badly it gets implemented but it really is the core of a good counter insurgent strategy. The kicker that often makes it gently caress up is you need to be willing to address what is turning the rebels against you in the first place.

What if instead of addressing anything you turn around after winning a civil war and use chemical weapons against those who opposed you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

For every successful insurgency there's a dozen failed ones you've never even heard of.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Also a successful insurgency still typically involves accepting a loss rate of 8-1. Insurgent tactics are not about small rebel bands inflicting attrition on a cumbersome army, it is about accepting enormous losses in the expectation that a) you can replace them from a population that hates the regime and b) the national army/foreign invaders don't really want to fight and will make concession after having suffered minimal losses.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Apparently it was either a flop or however Hollywood calls a low-grossing movie: $150 million budget, $210 worldwide gross. It would be a pleasant surprise if we ever saw a sequel.

Don't forget that production budget doesn't include marketing which can easily end up doubling the overall budget. It wouldn't be a surprise here if the movie did actually lose money.

It's why people are labelling Ghostbusters 2016 as such a flop since the studio clearly spent a shitton on marketing, making their overall poor return much worse when you factor that in.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

EggsAisle posted:

Are there cases where it has worked? This has me really curious now.

The Malayan Emergency (mind you coupled with some pretty brutal poo poo towards actual suspected insurgents, who were largely from a different ethnic group).

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Apr 16, 2017

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

I bet if it made some poo poo up about him fighting the Ottomans it would sell like crazy in the US but nowadays there's China to consider and who knows what they like in their naval battle movies.

E: like seriously some pap about Maturin getting captured by ottoman slave galleys and Aubrey having to find him, boom summer blockbuster in the US because holy gently caress this country goes insane for "white people fighting brown horde" movies and this will have an extra :911:freedom:911: component.

Given the time period Barbary Coast pirates would work better. Cameo from the US Marines for added oorah!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I hate to bring up ACW, but in what way was the industrial strength of the North important to the warfighting effort? It's not like the sides had to replace industrially busy stuff like tanks and planes, it was mostly dudes and muskets, and I don't recall that the South was running out of guns at any point. So what is the industrial benefit? Making more rolling stock to transport troops and supply? Being able to manufacture parts of kit that made life a little less horrible for the soldiers? Cannons? Trade/civilian goods that made the war less impactful on trade, civvies and fat cats?

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

FAUXTON posted:

I bet if it made some poo poo up about him fighting the Ottomans it would sell like crazy in the US but nowadays there's China to consider and who knows what they like in their naval battle movies.

E: like seriously some pap about Maturin getting captured by ottoman slave galleys and Aubrey having to find him, boom summer blockbuster in the US because holy gently caress this country goes insane for "white people fighting brown horde" movies and this will have an extra :911:freedom:911: component.

In The Ionian Mission HMS Surprise takes a frigate called the Torgud that's owned by some Ottoman Bey. I remember it had some sort of ridiculous 70+ pounder carronade that fired hand-carved marble balls.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

JcDent posted:

I hate to bring up ACW, but in what way was the industrial strength of the North important to the warfighting effort? It's not like the sides had to replace industrially busy stuff like tanks and planes, it was mostly dudes and muskets, and I don't recall that the South was running out of guns at any point. So what is the industrial benefit? Making more rolling stock to transport troops and supply? Being able to manufacture parts of kit that made life a little less horrible for the soldiers? Cannons? Trade/civilian goods that made the war less impactful on trade, civvies and fat cats?

The South had rather endemic issues of not having clothes, boots and weapons in sufficient quantities.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Artillery had become a major factor in field battles by then hadn't it? It's not just handheld weapons you need to build, but heavy iron.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

JcDent posted:

As I understand it, the confederates began with a good force based on the militias, but was in a position where they had real trouble replacing losses. Meanwhile the Union had to outfit hundreds of thousands of volunteers in a hurry, and throughout the war to replace losses, and this was enabled by their industrial might. Union artillery was also much better.

There's also stuff like repeating rifles.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Apr 16, 2017

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

JcDent posted:

Railroads and rolling stock were huge. The South had very little railway capacity to move supplies around, even when they did have the supplies to send to the armies. Add in wear and tear on the locomotives, the use of rails as armor for warships, and the need to coordinate logistics with the state governments along the way and the North had a substantial logistics advantage.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

JcDent posted:

I hate to bring up ACW, but in what way was the industrial strength of the North important to the warfighting effort? It's not like the sides had to replace industrially busy stuff like tanks and planes, it was mostly dudes and muskets,

And uniforms, wagons, shoes, ammunition, artillery pieces, horse bridles/equipment, so on and so forth. Any mundane item you could imagine, let's say a fork, needing to be manufactured or bought and then transported and distributed, times however many soldiers there are.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

mllaneza posted:

Railroads and rolling stock were huge. The South had very little railway capacity to move supplies around, even when they did have the supplies to send to the armies. Add in wear and tear on the locomotives, the use of rails as armor for warships, and the need to coordinate logistics with the state governments along the way and the North had a substantial logistics advantage.

Also the prewar southern railway network was a hodgepodge of small operators more focused on shipping stuff from plantations and farms to the ports and not carrying passengers from one state to another. Also the :bahgawd: MAH STATES RAGHTS :bahgawd: nature of the Confederate government made moving troops and supplies from one state to another hilariously, needlessly difficult.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Lone Badger posted:

Artillery had become a major factor in field battles by then hadn't it? It's not just handheld weapons you need to build, but heavy iron.
the majorest

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I just want to point out the importance of shoes in particular when it comes to fighting a war in which most of your army is on foot. There's a reason Sherman specifically pointed out the South could barely make a pair of shoes in his letter, and one side reason the Army of Northern Virginia headed to Gettysburg was because of a shoe warehouse there.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Don't forget the Union Navy started off with six active ships, and ended the war larger than the Royal Navy.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Also the prewar southern railway network was a hodgepodge of small operators more focused on shipping stuff from plantations and farms to the ports and not carrying passengers from one state to another. Also the :bahgawd: MAH STATES RAGHTS :bahgawd: nature of the Confederate government made moving troops and supplies from one state to another hilariously, needlessly difficult.

I read that they literally had to disembark and wait for a new train every time they got to a state border?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Lone Badger posted:

I read that they literally had to disembark and wait for a new train every time they got to a state border?

Not all the time, but this really did happen. In part because why the gently caress would different states make their railroads exactly the same gauge, you federalist tyrant?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Confederate artillery came in a large part from capturing Federal stocks and was notoriously ineffective because the fuses in their shells were terrible.

It required massive consistent incompetence from the North for the war to not end in the first or second years.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
Boots, shoes talk:

I read somewhere ages ago that the confederates had serious issues regarding shoes but a cursory internet search reveals very little on the subject, most I could find was this.
http://26nc.org/blog/?p=807

Particularly I remember (from somewhere) that on occasion many soldiers couldn't make it to the battles due to foot injuries from too much marching with no or very poor shoes. Anyone know more?

Also, I looked up how many boots the USSR got during lend lease, 5.4 million boots! Also I happened upon this, complete list of lend lease, hope its legit.
http://www.jrbooksonline.com/fdr-scandal-page/lend.html

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I'm the http://www.jrbooksonline.com/fdr-scandal-page/

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I'm communism at Pearl Harbor

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

feedmegin posted:

Given the time period Barbary Coast pirates would work better. Cameo from the US Marines for added oorah!

There are a few books with him meddling in Barbary politics. Another few good ones about fighting the deadly American frigates. The original villain in Far Side of the World was an American commerce raider. Desolation Island would be a good one, American espionage on one hand and a deadly chase in the frigid Antarctic seas.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

sullat posted:

There are a few books with him meddling in Barbary politics. Another few good ones about fighting the deadly American frigates. The original villain in Far Side of the World was an American commerce raider. Desolation Island would be a good one, American espionage on one hand and a deadly chase in the frigid Antarctic seas.

I'm fully aware, but we're discussing how to make mad US box office. Movies where the Americans are the opponent rather than the good guys tend not to be popular in America ;)

(Though Hollywood was A-OK with eg screening The Patriot over in the UK, mind you)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

feedmegin posted:

I'm fully aware, but we're discussing how to make mad US box office. Movies where the Americans are the opponent rather than the good guys tend not to be popular in America ;)

Dances with wolves was a huge success.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Nenonen posted:

Compare its box office take to the 3d remake

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

quote:

Also, I looked up how many boots the USSR got during lend lease, 5.4 million boots! Also I happened upon this, complete list of lend lease, hope its legit.

I'm the lone land lease curling iron, valued at USD8, and a single pencil lead (1 gram) sold for USD5.

Also I'm 13,328 teeth and 4 novelty clocks.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 16, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Delivery McGee posted:

The grenade launcher in the predator clip is just as bad. IRL the sound is kinda disappointing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm8qcspCOyc&t=52s

Indoors, grenade launchers can still be plenty loud. My friend fired a practice round at a rental range and it sounds not unlike a shotgun.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

JcDent posted:

In addition to what everyone else has said, they also had a HUGE problem getting modern artillery. By the mid-war period the Union was using a lot of rifled muzzle loading guns, most notably the parrot family of rifled cannon. This put the south at a huge disadvantage in artillery duels. We're talking the difference between shooting a barn at 600 yards and hitting the barn door. By the late war period any field battle involving cannon went very poorly for the south.

Plus, they did have problems with other small arms. They never got quality rifled muskets in the numbers that the union did, and they had far bigger problems getting ammunition for the hodge podge of arms that they did have. I can't remember the specifics, but I recall an anecdote about some really quality English arms performing much shittier than they could have otherwise because they had to use a sub-caliber ball thats only virtue was it also worked in the slightly smaller bore gun from some other random source that the Army of Virginia was using.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I'm the fifty fur pelt hats.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
German or American Explosives?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nenonen posted:

Yes, but that also had an American as the hero, so he was allowed to kill Americans, plus everyone else he was chilling out with were also technically Americans. 19th century British Empire dudes as the heroes killing loads and loads of Americans? That goes against 40 years of Star Wars ;)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BattleMoose posted:

I'm the "POODSTUFFS".

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Shooting m203s irl is actually really satisfying and cool sounding.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

I can't remember the specifics, but I recall an anecdote about some really quality English arms performing much shittier than they could have otherwise because they had to use a sub-caliber ball thats only virtue was it also worked in the slightly smaller bore gun from some other random source that the Army of Virginia was using.

The Lorenz rifles from Austria are probably what you're thinking of. They were from a country whose arms industry still involved individual gun makers in a cottage industry rather than factories mass producing off a pattern. This meant that ammo had to be measured to the individual rifle you've got, which is terribly impractical. Even though they're nominally .54 caliber, the bore diameter varied enough that your rifle would either be a perfect sniper rifle or worse than a dirty Brown Bess depending on which one you got if you tried to use standardized .54 caliber bullets.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

jrbooksonline posted:

Statement of Purpose.

This site's purpose is to bring to the fore many old works of literature you may not be aware of. Certainly, if you grew up in the past 40 years, went through an "establishment" education and did what you were told, chances are you were never allowed to examine the works presented herein.

These books and essays all deal in some way with White solidarity and White Nationalism. If mentioned at all (e.g., in a classroom or rag-mag article), these books had short passages quoted out of context to make the authors appear ridiculous, and then it was "on to the next subject". Haven't you ever wondered why they never showed you the whole thing, so that you could decide for yourself?

Many deal with specially coddled "minorities" or uniquely powerful "religious groups" that have legions of brainwashed lackeys at-the-ready to protect them from all criticism.

The Establishment has taken great pains to ensure that you never look at these books, articles and essays. Many old books disappear off library shelves, conveniently "lost" or "misplaced". Some are bought out for the sole purpose of destruction. Many are now quite rare. A few titles can be seen in your local bookstore -- but invariably the text is altered in some way. They are presented here as an act of preservation, and in defiance of "Political Correctness".
:yikes:

feedmegin posted:

Yes, but that also had an American as the hero, so he was allowed to kill Americans, plus everyone else he was chilling out with were also technically Americans. 19th century British Empire dudes as the heroes killing loads and loads of Americans? That goes against 40 years of Star Wars ;)
Star Wars is actually about Vietnam.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Arquinsiel posted:

:yikes:
Star Wars is actually about Vietnam.

lol do you have a list? Is he talking about Huck Finn or Mein Kampf?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Cythereal posted:

Not all the time, but this really did happen. In part because why the gently caress would different states make their railroads exactly the same gauge, you federalist tyrant?

Note that this is still an issue in the EU. Spain uses a different gauge than most of the rest of Europe, and then you've got the Russian gauge that's used in the Baltics and Finland. Ireland uses a different gauge than everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cyrano4747 posted:

lol do you have a list? Is he talking about Huck Finn or Mein Kampf?
It's all there on the root page. I just decided that was the point at which I stopped trying to make sense of the right-wing athiest and :yikes:'d out.

Phanatic posted:

Ireland uses a different gauge than everyone else.
I think, perhaps, that the Irish sea might be more of a barrier to trains than the gauge difference.