Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CharlesM posted:

I really don't see those around anymore which is odd. Seems like they'd be reliable.

Do they rust bad up north? I see lots of them down here, easy to get them in a manual too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

The Door Frame posted:

Ok, I finally got to talk to my dad and get some concrete numbers out of him
It's an 86 with 225k on it and he's looking for ~$5,000*. Mechanically, it's in great shape, but it's developed a couple of little gremlins and the interior could use some refurbishing. I had heard a weird noise coming from the rear end, but I haven't had a chance to look into it or drive it too much, since he adores that thing

*The guy he bought it from babied the hell out of it, and my dad wants to make sure that it goes to someone who won't run it into the ground, scrap it for parts, chop it up to slide in an LS engine, etc. He's willing to let it go for $4k if he can find someone who will treat it like a Porsche

Has the timing belt been replaced anytime recently? I understand those have a fairly short life, like 50,000 or less. What about the clutch?

I'd definitely be interested come summer, mileage doesn't scare me and gremlins don't scare me. My plan is to drive it occasionally, store it in the winter and put maybe a thousand miles on it in nicer weather. Just want to make sure it's what I'm looking for and it's not likely going to need a grand put into it immediately. PM me pictures if you have any!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Met a dude tonight with a serious KIA fetish. He was driving a Sephia (with the Mazda BP clone under the hood) that he'd turboed with all junkyard and Ebay parts. The Sephia is rotting to pieces so he's swapping the motor into a Spectra5.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
~just indiana things~

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

~just indiana things~

Hey, a KIA maniac is cool in my book. He said his DD is a Sportage. He's not on FB but I gave him my email so he can send me pics when he does the swap.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

I mean hey I like saabs so who am I to judge

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Previa_fun posted:

Our offer on a house was accepted today. :toot: Year of the house continues. Condolences welcome.

Way to put on your big boy pants :grovertoot:

Just got back from Fate of the Furious.

Ooooooh it was everything I wanted in a movie :allears: there were plenty of laughs you guys.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Enourmo posted:

I'm looking to get more utility than the Protege, the AI options can wait til I'm graduated and have a job

Crown Vic can be pretty utilitarian. Trunk is yuuuge, though I still with the rear seat folded down, or at least a ski hole. I stuck a trailer hitch on mine and pull a Harbor Freight 4x8 when I need more space.
Amusingly, I use my RX-7 when I need to get a few 2x4s or pipe or whatever. I can get an 8' thing into the car diagonally, passenger footwell to driver's hatch corner, easily. 10' pokes out the hatch a few inches. Can't be much bigger than a 2x4 or two in the other directions, though.

Spent several hours yesterday and today cleaning and reorganizing my garage (since I'm currently unemployed). Go the '84 RX-7 in there up on wheel skates, and shoved it over to clean the floor and such on that side of the garage for the first time in at least a decade. Pulled out everything I had stored under it, and on it, to get some pictures so I can sell it.
Anybody want an '84 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE? Body is in great shape, interior is good, engine needs a rebuild (natch.) North Texas.

BTW, wheel skates are the poo poo. Why did I wait this long to buy a set?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Well that was certainly a teasing trailer for the Last Jedi. The poster tho.... that's amazing as gently caress.

Disney is gonna get more of my money

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's beginning to look a lot like christmas.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Powershift posted:

It's beginning to look a lot like christmas.

You bet your rear end it is, I swapped my summer wheels on to early and now the only way I can actually drive is to turn off TCS. With it on, eternal wheel spin which results in throttle getting cut. Rinse, repeat.

Edit: So I'm just not driving anywhere until the snow melts.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 15, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol snow. Spent all day at the beach yesterday :smug:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

It's 80° here in Detroit :mrgw:

I'll see u nerds later

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

funny Star Wars parody posted:

It's 80° here in Detroit :mrgw:

I'll see u nerds later

Wagering you'll look like a boiled lobster when we do :colbert:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
It's 80 here in Ohio too.

Good thing I don't burn. :smug:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I was kinda half watching TV and there was a commercial for the kia niro and i thought i heard canyonero and got excited for a second and looked up and it was just a lovely kia.

I doubt the kia niro even smells like a steak.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Powershift posted:

I was kinda half watching TV and there was a commercial for the kia niro and i thought i heard canyonero and got excited for a second and looked up and it was just a lovely kia.

I doubt the kia niro even smells like a steak.

just depends on how much steak you eat before you got for a drive

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
So the wifey and I are in Charlottesville celebrating our one year anniversary.
Ben Folds is playing a sold out show and there's a dude out front trying to give away his 2 tickets because he wants to go see the Mantras play down the street instead.
:negative: we had to take a pass because we were both starving (not literally), on our way to dinner reservations, and the wife really wasn't feeling up for a show tonight.

On the upside, the Hotel sent up a complementary bottle of champagne and some chocolate covered strawberries.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Goober Peas posted:

Wagering you'll look like a boiled lobster when we do :colbert:

Oddly I don't burn and it was incredible

Go outside and play with your doggie it owns

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So the wifey and I are in Charlottesville celebrating our one year anniversary.
Ben Folds is playing a sold out show and there's a dude out front trying to give away his 2 tickets because he wants to go see the Mantras play down the street instead.
:negative: we had to take a pass because we were both starving (not literally), on our way to dinner reservations, and the wife really wasn't feeling up for a show tonight.

On the upside, the Hotel sent up a complementary bottle of champagne and some chocolate covered strawberries.

ben folds or ben folds five? this is important

cause if it was BFF i just dont know how you'd live with yourself

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

BraveUlysses posted:

ben folds or ben folds five? this is important

cause if it was BFF i just dont know how you'd live with yourself

Just Ben. I still think he's great though. I can totally see why that dude would rather go see the Mantras but I lived in Richmond so that was sorta a daily thing for me for a while. Ben Folds, not so much.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
You know what's nice?

Having a lovely day and being happy to come home.

I mean,

having a place you not only want to be, but you know are wanted.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

You know what's nice?

Having a lovely day and being happy to come home.

I mean,

having a place you not only want to be, but you know are wanted.

I'll have you know that my empty house is always happy to see me when I get home!.... :saddowns:

Seriously though, I'm glad you got out of the situation you were in, and things are working out well. Hope it works out long term.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

That's Not Good!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

THIS TRUCK IS A STEAL 378K ORIGINAL MILES $15KOBO NO LOW BALERS

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My advice to you would be not to buy a truck unless you REALLY need one because the market is loving ridiculous.

In other news, I get to go back to the oral surgeon after having all my wisdom teeth ripped out because now I have a giant bone splinter coming off the inside of my jaw and it's poking out the side cutting the gently caress out of my tongue, awesome!

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I have one wisdom tooth that is impacted and they want to take it out. It doesn't hurt and I am in my 30s so I just want them to leave it the gently caress alone but they keep going on about it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus Christ I had my first beer in 5 weeks and since MY HEALTH is my major focus I had some lovely low cal swill and I woke up with a splitting headache.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

BigPaddy posted:

I have one wisdom tooth that is impacted and they want to take it out. It doesn't hurt and I am in my 30s so I just want them to leave it the gently caress alone but they keep going on about it.

Yea, if it's not bothering you or demonstrably the cause of some other issue, tell them to gently caress off. 3 of my four wisdom teeth never erupted from the gum-line and quite literally point forward into the molars ahead of them. Every dentist I've ever had prior to my current one was all 'those should come out'!, but since they never bothered me I declined.

After my 51st B-day the one wisdom tooth that was actually in the 'correct' orientation managed to develop a cavity where the dentist couldn't properly fill it, so I got it yanked out. I still have the other three and they still cause me no issues, and I'm not in a real hurry to have the oral surgery required to have them removed just because the dentists don't like how they look on my x-rays.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I agree, my wisdom teeth are all running mad camber, but it doesn't bother me in the slightest and never has, so they can stay like that until it becomes a problem. Only difference is my dentists have always been inclined to leave well alone without instruction.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

InitialDave posted:

I agree, my wisdom teeth are all running mad camber, but it doesn't bother me in the slightest and never has, so they can stay like that until it becomes a problem. Only difference is my dentists have always been inclined to leave well alone without instruction.

The adventures of 14" dick: my teeth are running mad camber

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

InitialDave posted:

I agree, my wisdom teeth are all running mad camber,

This made me laugh way too hard

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Enourmo posted:

I'm looking to get more utility than the Protege, the AI options can wait til I'm graduated and have a job

Isn't Adiabatic trying to curse someone else with the Gorester? :getin:

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
goon version of the TCC benzo thread. I took my meds from the accident I was in with Tim then proceeded to order turbo upgrade bits and oversize general grabber a/ts for my Volvo wagon. Along with a lot more. Oh jeez

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Noise Complaint posted:

goon version of the TCC benzo thread. I took my meds from the accident I was in with Tim then proceeded to order turbo upgrade bits and oversize general grabber a/ts for my Volvo wagon. Along with a lot more. Oh jeez

Grabber brothers! They ride like fluffy clouds of kicking rear end on dirt.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Do they rust bad up north? I see lots of them down here, easy to get them in a manual too.

I'm not really in a place that rusts. It's possible I saw a lot more of them in California before I moved to Seattle and kind of forgot about it. Seattle is land of the Subaru

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
480 trouble free miles back from the beach and the drat interstate shut down 40 miles from home. An extra hour and a half shortcut through the mountains and two carsick puking kids later I am home.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

It could have been worse, you could have been in the mountains. In February I had a highway shutdown on me because a trucker hit a bridge when I was a little about 1.5 hours from home and it added almost 7 hours going through the Kootenay and Rocky mountains in the middle of atrocious weather, making me get home at 4AM instead of 10PM.

But yeah, it sucks when you're so close but far away.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I am a hair off of a 15 pound loss and I feel loving amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Locator posted:

Yea, if it's not bothering you or demonstrably the cause of some other issue, tell them to gently caress off. 3 of my four wisdom teeth never erupted from the gum-line and quite literally point forward into the molars ahead of them. Every dentist I've ever had prior to my current one was all 'those should come out'!, but since they never bothered me I declined.

Same here. Until one was breaking pieces off, and another beginning to do the same. The dentist said there was nothing he could do for them. So I decided gently caress it take them all because I don't want to be back, and just having just two staggered would feel weird anyway.

But trust me, up until this point i have been telling dentists to gently caress off because they weren't a problem. But when they are they just gotta come out.

• Locked thread