Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
'Budget'? :crossarms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

$30 is budget priced compared to a full retail $60 game.

edit: i should clarify, it's $30 on the eshop, $40 physical.

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Apr 16, 2017

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Is anyone planning on trying to snag a Switch from Nintendo World on Monday morning? They said they're gonna have them at 10 am I believe.

Have any goons bought one before from NYC? How much earlier should I show up?

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Is anyone planning on trying to snag a Switch from Nintendo World on Monday morning? They said they're gonna have them at 10 am I believe.

Have any goons bought one before from NYC? How much earlier should I show up?

Get there now.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Cardboard Box posted:

i'm still a little hopeful splatoon gets at least a slight bit of a resolution bump (like maybe 900p) closer to release since optimization is usually what comes last in development, but i'm not holding my breath. it at least has a nice clean presentation and keeps its framerate rock steady so that's good.

It's either silky smooth 60 fps gameplay on 720p or somewhat smooth 60 fps on 900p. Splatoon benefits greatly on a high and stable refresh rate rather than a higher resolution. Good thing most people don't notice the difference between the two resolutions. :v:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

yeah i mean in all cases i'd take the 100% smooth framerate over anything else if that's the cutback that needs to be done

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The testfire had a very low tickrate so i hope they increase that

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Real hurthling! posted:

Didn't really seem to impact gameplay

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

I have supported Yacht Club via Kickstarter, Shovel Knight for PC, Treasure Trove on Switch, and the amiibo figure. Love them so much.

SAVE the amiibo mode for a second or third play though. It's basically a game breaking cheat but a drat lot of fun.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Real hurthling! posted:

On the other hand, it had a very high funrate

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

The only time I noticed was when 2 people with rollers collided and one walked away. This happened like twice over a couple of hours.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

Real hurthling! posted:

its a game with gimmicky shooting and slow enemies with giant hitboxes, made for an audience who doesnt play multiplayer shooters. the tickrate is fine

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I didn't know it was 720p, that's a bummer.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Are any of the Neo Geo games worth getting? Thats a system I always liked from a distance, but never got deep into their library.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Why is a beta phase of a game predictive of lag and performance at release?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Why is a beta phase of a game predictive of lag and performance at release?

Probably because there have been multiple examples elsewhere of Betas having major issues that were never fixed for launch?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

BigRed0427 posted:

Probably because there have been multiple examples elsewhere of Betas having major issues that were never fixed for launch?

And how often does performance, especially lag, improve for release relative to it staying the same or worse?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

BigRed0427 posted:

Are any of the Neo Geo games worth getting? Thats a system I always liked from a distance, but never got deep into their library.

Neo Turf Masters is probably the best game on switch, so get that.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
While the other consoles have higher power graphical capabilities, Nintendo's use of color and wonderful art direction allows their games to.... WHAT THE gently caress IT'S ONLY RUNNING 720P?!?!

Who loving cares? I played the test fire on my 55" 4K TV and it looked fine to me. I was too busy playing the game to look hard to see if I could see individual pixels.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Can't play this welfare game, not enough pixels

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

HyperPuma posted:

its a game with gimmicky shooting and slow enemies with giant hitboxes, made for an audience who doesnt play multiplayer shooters. the tickrate is fine
have you played the game? Slow and giant hit boxes is the opposite of how I'd describe it. It's not a PC shooter of course but seems way faster than the typical big console shooters.

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
I wish that some virtual console stuff would become available. I had an old 3ds xl so I couldn't play any of the snes vc games and I've been hoping to get some on the switch. They really should have had this poo poo figured out at launch.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

LethalGeek posted:

have you played the game?

i have. more importantly ive played other multiplayer shooters with actual mobility and enemies that dont fill up a third of the screen

its all personal perspective i suppose

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

HyperPuma posted:

i have. more importantly ive played other multiplayer shooters with actual mobility and enemies that dont fill up a third of the screen

its all personal perspective i suppose

Yeah I think console shooters its all "big armored people moving through molasses" vs PC everyone is on crack and about 5px tall. Splatoon seems in the middle, though I'm seeing it from the perspective of hours and hours later where you pretty much hold down your squid form button and zip around constantly trying to get the jump on someone instead of just walking along until you bump into something to shoot at.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

GI_Clutch posted:

While the other consoles have higher power graphical capabilities, Nintendo's use of color and wonderful art direction allows their games to.... WHAT THE gently caress IT'S ONLY RUNNING 720P?!?!

Who loving cares? I played the test fire on my 55" 4K TV and it looked fine to me. I was too busy playing the game to look hard to see if I could see individual pixels.

The obvious compromise would be to have it run 820p at 52fps

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
Yeah yeah, I know it comes off as shallow but I honestly expected better than 720p out of Splatoon on new hardware. But then again it's also clear earlier in the thread that I didn't really like Splatoon all that much anyways so :shrug:. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is going to end up being the perfect exception and not the rule.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Seriously* though a lot of Splatoon players will be toddlers playing on their school/mcdonald's congested wifi, a low tick rate evens out their disadvantage vs low latency players.

not really

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

Yeah yeah, I know it comes off as shallow but I honestly expected better than 720p out of Splatoon on new hardware. But then again it's also clear earlier in the thread that I didn't really like Splatoon all that much anyways so :shrug:. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is going to end up being the perfect exception and not the rule.

If they do any graphics optimization at all I'd expect it to be resolution while docked, it'd make sense to not make that a priority when doing a public beta I guess.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

BigRed0427 posted:

Metal Slug 1 and 3 are both great; I prefer 3 (the only appreciable difference are the locales.) A bunch of weirdos seem to love the golf game but I haven't taken the bait yet. King of Fighters '98 is one of the best KoF games to date, but I already own it as well as a stick to play it on, so I can't comment on the Switch version.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

GI_Clutch posted:

Why do you have a 4k TV if you don't care about resolution.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Seriously* though a lot of Splatoon players will be toddlers playing on their school/mcdonald's congested wifi, a low tick rate evens out their disadvantage vs low latency players.

not really

Don't worry in 6 months it'll be mostly insanely high skilled Japanese people playing off super fiber, so it'll be smooth as gently caress but you'll get rolled every match.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

It's the year 2017, no console should be rolling 720p anymore, let alone the successor to the Wii U.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

HyperPuma posted:

So what you're saying is that Splatoon's a lovely competitive shooter? Who would have thunk.

enojy posted:

Metal Slug 1 and 3 are both great; I prefer 3 (the only appreciable difference are the locales.)

Locales aren't the only difference, Metal Slug 1 is 20 minutes long and straight forward, Metal Slug 3 introduces a ton of alternate paths, transformations, new Slugs and is easily over and hour long (the last mission is half of the game alone). You're get a lot more with Metal Slug 3.

Stan Taylor posted:

lol

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Stan Taylor posted:

My point was that no one cared about lower graphical output when it came to Nintendo games because their aesthetics were more interesting than 1080p browns, but now people are changing their tunes. I have a 4K because I have disposable income and why not be a bit more future proof? Besides, I use it for more than just gaming, and it has a nice upscaler. Even DVDs look really nice on it. But when playing something fast paced like Splatoon, I'd rather have a high, consistent framerate than a sharper resolution.

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
I have Metal Slug 3 on the PC and thoroughly recommend it for an action side-scroller. You will have a lot of fun with this game.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

GI_Clutch posted:

But when playing something fast paced like Splatoon, I'd rather have a high, consistent framerate than a sharper resolution.

I hope, one day, technology will advance enough so we can have both.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

man nurse posted:

It's the year 2017, no console should be rolling 720p anymore, let alone the successor to the Wii U.

What about the portable console successor to 3DS?

:v:

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
Half the games we play on the Switch are pixel-art games from the 90's.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'm sure we'll get a decent amount of 1080p/60fps games on Switch. I'm still amazed that Smash was on Wii U with 8 players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

4K is the new 3D when it comes to TVs, i.e., you can't get a nicer TV that doesn't have it. Hopefully 4K will be around to stay though. I don't think I've ever tried 3D on my TV other than briefly firing up Arkham Asylum to see how it felt--and then promptly turning it back off.

• Locked thread