Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I ended up picking up a XB271HU from Costco at the clearance price; mine had a placard in it indicating that it has a standard 3-year warranty, plus an additional year provided (because of Costco?). So 4 years isn't too shabby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

SourKraut posted:

I ended up picking up a XB271HU from Costco at the clearance price; mine had a placard in it indicating that it has a standard 3-year warranty, plus an additional year provided (because of Costco?). So 4 years isn't too shabby.

Did you get the $500 clearance price, or the price that is half of that? The one nearest me has sold out of them, but drat if all this talk of finding them at $250 doesn't have me seriously considering driving across town to possibly pick up another one.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

the good fax machine posted:

Did you get the $500 clearance price, or the price that is half of that? The one nearest me has sold out of them, but drat if all this talk of finding them at $250 doesn't have me seriously considering driving across town to possibly pick up another one.

The 250 price was only for display models. The 499 was for clearance, and it does indeed seem the 271 is discontinued. No idea if there will be a new model in the same product niche.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

the good fax machine posted:

Yeah, I found it for $499 clearance. Some Costcos around Phoenix apparently had it down to $399 boxed, but I couldn't find it anywhere for that low so settled on the last remaining one at $499 near me. It's been great so far.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I recently got a 1080 for cheap so now I'm looking around for a cheap-but-good (haha, who isnt) gsync monitor. I've been very happy with my Dell 2407WFPHC monitors for years. I game, but I also do lots of serious work on my PC (programming). The Acer XB270HU seems to be available used on ebay for ~$400 so I'm leaning towards that. I might've stretched to $500 on that Costco deal on the XB271HU except neither of the STL-area Costco's have any in stock...

Anyway, how will the XB270HU compare to my Dells when it comes to doing real work?

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 17, 2017

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
I am extremely torn between the XB271HU and the X34.

X34 would probably be a single monitor setup. XB would be primary screen and let me upgrade my 19" secondary to 24", which is my current primary.

Mostly concerned about 21:9 aspect ratio of the X34, as I play everything from FPS to racing to MOBA to 4X games.

Anybody tried both? Thoughts?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Would get this new AOC Agon AG352UCG instead of the X34 if you're shopping for a widescreen. Currently sold out, but it's been $900 on Amazon all last week.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/aoc_agon_ag352ucg.htm

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Sipher posted:

I am extremely torn between the XB271HU and the X34.

X34 would probably be a single monitor setup. XB would be primary screen and let me upgrade my 19" secondary to 24", which is my current primary.

Mostly concerned about 21:9 aspect ratio of the X34, as I play everything from FPS to racing to MOBA to 4X games.

Anybody tried both? Thoughts?

Ultra wide is the best, most games these days work great and it's still fine for stuff that doesn't because outside of games it kicks the poo poo out of a 2 monitor setup

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

rage-saq posted:

Ultra wide is the best, most games these days work great and it's still fine for stuff that doesn't because outside of games it kicks the poo poo out of a 2 monitor setup

I think you're overselling this here. There's pluses and minuses.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

KS posted:

Would get this new AOC Agon AG352UCG instead of the X34 if you're shopping for a widescreen. Currently sold out, but it's been $900 on Amazon all last week.

Its $849 at microcenter and shipping is ~$17 and in stock

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Thermopyle posted:

Is reduced neck strain really a minus?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Thermopyle posted:

I recently got a 1080 for cheap so now I'm looking around for a cheap-but-good (haha, who isnt) gsync monitor. I've been very happy with my Dell 2407WFPHC monitors for years. I game, but I also do lots of serious work on my PC (programming). The Acer XB270HU seems to be available used on ebay for ~$400 so I'm leaning towards that. I might've stretched to $500 on that Costco deal on the XB270HU except neither of the STL-area Costco's have any in stock...

Anyway, how will the XB270HU compare to my Dells when it comes to doing real work?

The XB270HU was plagued with a lot of backlight bleed problems; I'd keep that in mind if you're considering going with it over the XB271HU.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Thermopyle posted:

There aren't too many general drawbacks other than price, really, unless you happen to play a very specific set of games which not only don't natively support 21:9, but actively fight against you with it. Not having a bezel in the middle is an immense improvement over a multi-monitor set up for gaming.

There can be some specific drawbacks depending on how you intend to use it, though. For instance, a X34 isn't going to let you play a game on one screen while you watch a movie on the other like you'd get with 2x 27"s. But if all you want is the biggest slab of gaming real estate you can get, it's hard to argue with.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

DrDork posted:

There aren't too many general drawbacks other than price, really, unless you happen to play a very specific set of games which not only don't natively support 21:9, but actively fight against you with it. Not having a bezel in the middle is an immense improvement over a multi-monitor set up for gaming.

There can be some specific drawbacks depending on how you intend to use it, though. For instance, a X34 isn't going to let you play a game on one screen while you watch a movie on the other like you'd get with 2x 27"s. But if all you want is the biggest slab of gaming real estate you can get, it's hard to argue with.

Yes, thus the "pluses and minuses". Certainly not in the territory of "kicks the poo poo out of" in the general case.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
People were recommending the Acer XB27 earlier, what about the Acer Z35? Ignoring the nasty price, is there a good reason to purchase it over the XB27? The big differences being a really large wide screen and resolution, and a curved display rather than a flat one. I'm still leaning towards the XB27 but I want to know if the difference between the two is amazeballs or something.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
That's the lower rez 2560x1080 model. Pretty low pixel density for a screen that size.

The X34 is the 3440x1440 model, and....

KS posted:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

How good Bad is AOC? I see that their 27" 1440p gsync IPS is over $100 cheaper than the Acer. I assume there's a reason for that.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, I found it for $499 clearance. Some Costcos around Phoenix apparently had it down to $399 boxed, but I couldn't find it anywhere for that low so settled on the last remaining one at $499 near me. It's been great so far.

Joining the cool-kids club. Local one had 4, so I got 2 for a dual monitor setup. While I prefer the aesthetics of the ultrawides, they have viewing angle and backlight leakage/IPS Glow issues, and two separate frames work better for my telework and multiple computers purposes.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Wacky Delly posted:

How good Bad is AOC? I see that their 27" 1440p gsync IPS is over $100 cheaper than the Acer. I assume there's a reason for that.

It varies from monitor to monitor. Some of them are good, but some of them are really bad. Like, a 20ms response time on a TN panel that claims to have a 1ms response time bad. Be wary.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

KS posted:

That review completely sells me off the monitor? The uniformity is literally the worst I have ever seen (seriously, never seen TFT have to break out the yellow for the colour plot), and the pixel response times and RTC overshoot are both hot garbage like with all the overclocked VA panels.

Wacky Delly posted:

The AOC uses the same panel as a XB270HU, not the newer one in the XB271HU. So unless you can find it for ~$XB270HU then it is a bad deal.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

EoRaptor posted:

The 250 price was only for display models. The 499 was for clearance, and it does indeed seem the 271 is discontinued. No idea if there will be a new model in the same product niche.

My guess is that the late models of the 271 were getting sold off to make way for the HDR-ready displays, and they didn't want to be sitting on a bunch of November 2016 monitors they'd have to firesale, so better to sell them all to Costco in bulk and have it be their problem to get rid of them.

Silhouette Wires
May 9, 2014

Never Knows Best
Hey thread I'm unsure what to do. What I was thinking of getting is a nice 27" 1440p 144hz monitor for around $500, Preferably FreeSync. I'm not trying to spend too much since my long term goal is to get an Ultra wide monitor when they have something that's FreeSync, decent resolution, 144hz and not terrible picture quality (am I crazy? I feel like they're getting close to this). From the bit of monitor shopping i've done I have not found an ultra wide that fit all my needs. I'll spend the big bucks when I do find the one.

Ok, to stop boring you :v: . I wanted to get this Acer XF270HU https://www.amazon.com/Acer-XF270HU...ds=Acer+XF270hu Is this a good monitor if I can find it? It's a big upgrade compared to this 24" 1080p dell lcd I've been using for the last 10 years. Any other recommendations?

Edit: had wrong link.

To add another one I looked at http://a.co/1PXft0H doesn't seem to be freesync or gsync

Silhouette Wires fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 18, 2017

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Jut thought I'd mention that the LG 25UM58-P is reduced to £118 on amazon UK. It's a small screen to be sure, but anyone in the market for a cheap monitor might want to consider it.

It's IPS, ultrawide and 75hz. It's only 25" so yes it's small. Personally I found it a good compromise as it's a nice pixel density and 75hz has been a great boon for gaming. 2560 x 1080 resoloution.

Probably nobody will care as it's so small, but I thought it worthy of noting at its price.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Jago posted:

This Costco talk has got me jonesing.

What are the best $450-600 120hz+ 1440p 27" monitors? I don't mind if it's new or refurbed as long as there's still warranty. I want either gsync or freesync, don't care which. I'm somewhat open to other sizes and resolutions in the same range if there is something special at the moment.

I can do Costco, but I also like Amazon (and it's 5% credit)... Hell I can go newegg! No sales tax still?

Dell SG2716. Gsync, 27" 1440@144, out of the box the color looks wack but a couple minutes adjusting the levels and setting some color correction in the nVidia control panel and you won't see a need to spend more for an IPS panel.

Grabbed one myself for $480 at Best Buy a while back.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Silhouette Wires posted:

Hey thread I'm unsure what to do. What I was thinking of getting is a nice 27" 1440p 144hz monitor for around $500, Preferably FreeSync. I'm not trying to spend too much since my long term goal is to get an Ultra wide monitor when they have something that's FreeSync, decent resolution, 144hz and not terrible picture quality (am I crazy? I feel like they're getting close to this). From the bit of monitor shopping i've done I have not found an ultra wide that fit all my needs. I'll spend the big bucks when I do find the one.

Ok, to stop boring you :v: . I wanted to get this Acer XF270HU https://www.amazon.com/Acer-XF270HU...ds=Acer+XF270hu Is this a good monitor if I can find it? It's a big upgrade compared to this 24" 1080p dell lcd I've been using for the last 10 years. Any other recommendations?

Edit: had wrong link.

To add another one I looked at http://a.co/1PXft0H doesn't seem to be freesync or gsync

Asus MG279Q. Check my posts in this thread for a breakdown of the three 27" 144Hz 1440p monitors.

Metalocalypse
Jul 29, 2006
Thanks to you all in the thread for the heads up about Costco. Was able to nab the last boxed XB271HU at my local one.

metallicaeg posted:

Dell SG2716. Gsync, 27" 1440@144, out of the box the color looks wack but a couple minutes adjusting the levels and setting some color correction in the nVidia control panel and you won't see a need to spend more for an IPS panel.

Grabbed one myself for $480 at Best Buy a while back.

Out of curiosity, do you suffer from a "white fog" effect during dark scenes in games? I tried that monitor, but had to return it mostly due to that issue. Sadly, no amount of tuning seemed to fix it for me. Outside of that, it was the monitor wonderful, and convinced me 1440p was the way to go.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

BurritoJustice posted:

That review completely sells me off the monitor? The uniformity is literally the worst I have ever seen (seriously, never seen TFT have to break out the yellow for the colour plot), and the pixel response times and RTC overshoot are both hot garbage like with all the overclocked VA panels.

Yeah, I kinda came to the same conclusion. The panel uniformity doesn't worry me THAT much, since it could always have been just a particularly poor model, and a lot of people probably aren't going to notice it in the same way that they would notice particularly bad BLB. But some of those pixel response times...man. 50ms? I don't care if the average RTC is decent, having a sub-section of RTCs that high--even with overdrive on--is gonna cause some pretty noticeable smearing and trails. For reference, the worse RTC on an X34 with OD set to medium is under 12ms, with basically 0 overshoot.

Getting double the contrast ratio of the X34 would be wonderful, and the slightly cheaper price is a nice bonus, but I'm not sure if that's a worthwhile trade-off.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I just got one at work, gonna set it up tonight. Replacing a 34" 60hz samsung va so it will probably be better than that, not that ive ever really noticed.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

DrDork posted:

Yeah, I kinda came to the same conclusion. The panel uniformity doesn't worry me THAT much, since it could always have been just a particularly poor model, and a lot of people probably aren't going to notice it in the same way that they would notice particularly bad BLB. But some of those pixel response times...man. 50ms? I don't care if the average RTC is decent, having a sub-section of RTCs that high--even with overdrive on--is gonna cause some pretty noticeable smearing and trails. For reference, the worse RTC on an X34 with OD set to medium is under 12ms, with basically 0 overshoot.

Getting double the contrast ratio of the X34 would be wonderful, and the slightly cheaper price is a nice bonus, but I'm not sure if that's a worthwhile trade-off.

The RTC error is on black to grey as well, which comes up all the loving time because moving objects often have a black background or a black border. If you look at the high speed photos it looks loving horrible in motion, with either total smearing or massive colour inversion depending on the overdrive setting.

If a similar model comes out with one of the Samsung VA panels that doesn't have the Black to Grey pixel response bugs that the AUO AMVA+ panels then it would be an interesting comparison, but I wouldn't recommend that to anyone.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

My local Costco has a bunch of the XB271HU for $500. I take it that's a good deal? My current monitor is a Dell TN 19" 1440 x 900.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ardlen posted:

My local Costco has a bunch of the XB271HU for $500.
There's been a lot of discussion about this the last few pages. Take a look.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Metalocalypse posted:

Thanks to you all in the thread for the heads up about Costco. Was able to nab the last boxed XB271HU at my local one.

Out of curiosity, do you suffer from a "white fog" effect during dark scenes in games? I tried that monitor, but had to return it mostly due to that issue. Sadly, no amount of tuning seemed to fix it for me. Outside of that, it was the monitor wonderful, and convinced me 1440p was the way to go.

No, I can't think of any experience resembling a white fog.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
You lucky sons of bitches who have access to a Costco with the XB271HU should just get it without hesitation.

I'm probably going to hold out for the Samsung CHG75 if that monitor turns out to be a good buy. It's either that or wait for a crazy price drop on the Acer here in Canada.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Any thoughts on LG's 32UD99? News on this guy came out around the time the XB271HU had its price drop at Costco, and I didn't see any discussion about it. I haven't shopped for monitors in years, and will likely be connecting a 2016 MBP and a PS4 Pro. It seems like that would be a reasonable 4K display for those devices.

edit: I realize it's not out -- just wondering if those specs and such seem to line up with the price point. I'll at least wait to see what early reports on the shipping units are like.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 18, 2017

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
So I got the XB271HU (not from CostCo, sadly) and the display looks fantastic but I am not crazy about the stand. The XXXTREME styling is ugly (even though it's certainly high quality) and it's too deep for my desk. Is there a good, inexpensive VESA wall mount? I think having it on the wall right behind my desk will probably be the best.

one on a bun
Oct 23, 2008
Picked up a XB271HU from costco after seeing about it here, the stand and onscreen menu suck balls but the monitor itself is great. Way better than the BenQ XL2430T I had before. Thanks for the heads up about it

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Any thoughts on LG's 32UD99? News on this guy came out around the time the XB271HU had its price drop at Costco, and I didn't see any discussion about it. I haven't shopped for monitors in years, and will likely be connecting a 2016 MBP and a PS4 Pro. It seems like that would be a reasonable 4K display for those devices.

edit: I realize it's not out -- just wondering if those specs and such seem to line up with the price point. I'll at least wait to see what early reports on the shipping units are like.

I'm waiting for reviews to see how the HDR support on this pans out. It doesn't seem to have enough brightness to support the HDR10 standard but who knows. 32 inches is certainly much more usable without scaling than a 27 although IMO 35-36 would be ideal.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

There's been a lot of discussion about this the last few pages. Take a look.
Thanks, I picked it up. A good deal on a nice monitor.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Got my AOC 35" hooked up. Forgot how awesome 100hz is. The glare filter is so much better than my old 34". Text is way sharper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

KS posted:

That's the lower rez 2560x1080 model. Pretty low pixel density for a screen that size.

The X34 is the 3440x1440 model, and....

Thanks, I'm just curious about the general change from a 1080p to something very widescreen. This would be used primarily for gaming, so such a big increase in resolution might not be a good thing since it requires so much GPU power?