Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

sassassin posted:

That's not the phrase I used.

It is though.

sassassin posted:

KotOR 2 is really bad Star Wars, written by people who admitted to only having a pop culture understanding on what Star Wars was actually about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sassassin posted:

What do laser swords represent?

Laser penises

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Snowman_McK posted:

It is though.

"pop culture understanding" is not "pop culture knowledge"

If you're going to quibble over language at least quote me properly.

Wookieepedia shows a lot of knowledge about Star Wars, and next to no understanding.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

RBA Starblade posted:

Laser penises

"This weapon is your life" says the celibate warrior monk.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

wyoming posted:

Snoke is Luke's missing hand.

I can see it now: someone found Luke's hand and lightsaber, and while the saber ended up in not-Yoda's possession, someone else took Luke's hand, attempted to clone a Luke, or reverse engineer a Vader (Vaader?) clone from Luke's midichlorians, and we ended up with Snoke

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Alienwarehouse posted:

Do you think Snoke's identity will be revealed in this, or do you think we'll have to wait for the third one?

I'm still rooting for Snoke to be a two-inch-tall creature that uses the hologram as a form of overcompensation.

It's symbolic of how evil has no real power and has to fool people into thinking it does

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

21 Muns posted:

I'm still rooting for Snoke to be a two-inch-tall creature that uses the hologram as a form of overcompensation.

It's symbolic of how evil has no real power and has to fool people into thinking it does

Snoke is actually microscopic, because he is a sentient midichlorian

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

jivjov posted:

1138_snoke_weed_erryday

Hahaha

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

sassassin posted:

It's hard to compare it to a product that doesn't exist.

Maybe that version would have had a real ending instead of a hacked together mess?

No it wouldn't

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

jivjov posted:

1138_snoke_weed_erryday

Vulnerable to Choombacca

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

KotOR2 owns and is what made me like Star Wars in the first place

the idea that the Light Side way of helping people actually robs them of the XP needed to solve their own problems also owns

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

AndyElusive posted:

I'm stoked to find out more about Snoke.

I'm snoked.

I actually forgot Snoke existed until I read this post. What a garbage character.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I actually forgot Snoke existed until I read this post. What a garbage character.

I wonder if people felt this way about the emperor in 1977 and 1980? Mentioned in like 2 lines in ANH, had a single scene via hologram in ESB.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

I wonder if people felt this way about the emperor in 1977 and 1980? Mentioned in like 2 lines in ANH, had a single scene via hologram in ESB.

Nobody I know was talking about the Emperor after ANH. More were talking about the Emperor after ESB, but the focus was always on Vader. Then again, I was an actual child, and children don't usually simulate various forms of government with their action figures.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

grieving for Gandalf posted:

the idea that the Light Side way of helping people actually robs them of the XP needed to solve their own problems also owns

As a deconstruction of rpg mechanics and morality in videogames it's an interesting piece.

It has very little to say about Star Wars, despite using its visual language.

Like someone earlier said that it shows the common man not caring if the galaxy is ruled by Jedi or Sith as they're both just different flavours of religious fanatics. This is demonstrably untrue in the OT, which ends with the defeat of The Emperor by plucky rebels, and the joyous pronouncement that "Weesa free!"

sassassin fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 16, 2017

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Snoke needs to be as big as or even bigger than his hologram.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Ferrinus posted:

Snoke needs to be as big as or even bigger than his hologram.

It would be a fun subversion of expectation if he were actually like the size of a mountain and the hologram was shrinking him so he could have meetings with his people in the same room

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

sassassin posted:

"This weapon is your life" says the celibate warrior monk.

"This weapon is your life" says the celibate warrior monk who makes a point of taking his friend's sword while leaving his actual person behind.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

21 Muns posted:

I wonder if he'll be as poo poo at fighting as Palpatine was.

I kind of love that his biggest victory is successfully running away from Yoda.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

sassassin posted:

As a deconstruction of rpg mechanics and morality in videogames it's an interesting piece.

It has very little to say about Star Wars, despite using its visual language.

Like someone earlier said that it shows the common man not caring if the galaxy is ruled by Jedi or Sith as they're both just different flavours of religious fanatics. This is demonstrably untrue in the OT, which ends with the defeat of The Emperor by plucky rebels, and the joyous pronouncement that "Weesa free!"

I don't think that's the best comparison since I think most people don't know that the Empire is a product of the Sith.

Edit - I mean, if we're going to bring up the movies as a counter example to say that the universe wouldn't have had different mindsets thousands of years ago, then I could point to the fact that regular people willfully follow the Sith and join the Sepratists in the Clone Wars because of economic concerns.

Roth fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 16, 2017

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You don't seem very snoked, SMG.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't want Snoke to be some huge identity reveal. He should be Snoke, and not just a twist that won't mean anything in the long run.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Roth posted:

I mean, if we're going to bring up the movies as a counter example to say that the universe wouldn't have had different mindsets thousands of years ago

Star Wars isn't a real history. It's merely a series of films.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

It doesn't because that's the same argument conservatives try to use to cut the social safety net

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

sassassin posted:

Star Wars isn't a real history. It's merely a series of films.

Uh, no poo poo? I don't know why you would make a point about KOTOR 2 if you're just going to fall back on this excuse.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

homullus posted:

Nobody I know was talking about the Emperor after ANH. More were talking about the Emperor after ESB, but the focus was always on Vader. Then again, I was an actual child, and children don't usually simulate various forms of government with their action figures.

Sounds like someone didn't know how to have the most fun possible with their toys.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

duz posted:

Sounds like someone didn't know how to have the most fun possible with their toys.

There was a hilarious number of Space Bureaucrats hanging in toy aisles during the prequel era.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Roth posted:

No it wouldn't

I think that this is correct.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Mecha Gojira posted:

There was a hilarious number of Space Bureaucrats hanging in toy aisles during the prequel era.

Senator Orn Free Ta and I had fun.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Roth posted:

Uh, no poo poo? I don't know why you would make a point about KOTOR 2 if you're just going to fall back on this excuse.

I haven't fallen back on anything. My points about KotOr 2 remain as they were when you first read them.

It doesn't matter if the game set "thousands of years" before the movies, if it's about different things than Star Wars then it's not about Star Wars. Star Wars is not a real history.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Snoke is good for a new and unexpected dark side power, at the least.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

sassassin posted:

if it's about different things than Star Wars then it's not about Star Wars. Star Wars is not a real history.

What point are you even trying to make?

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Freakazoid_ posted:

Snoke is good for a new and unexpected dark side power, at the least.

Was gonna say "time travel" and then I remembered China, lol.

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

21 Muns posted:

Evil has plenty of power. What are you smoking?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Big Beef City posted:

What point are you even trying to make?

sassassin posted:

KotOR 2 is really bad Star Wars, written by people who admitted to only having a pop culture understanding on what Star Wars was actually about.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

I'm not sure why you are withholding your thought process until you are approached with close ended questions, but I'll bite.

What is star wars really about? Why does KOTOR2 not align with this?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I really wanted Snoke to be Leia and she was behind both the resistance and first order. It makes her insistence that Han confront Kylo make more sense.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Megasabin posted:

I'm not sure why you are withholding your thought process until you are approached with close ended questions, but I'll bite.

What is star wars really about? Why does KOTOR2 not align with this?

Actually, I think a better question would be: Why does KOTOR 2 have to be about the same things as the movies to be Star Wars?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Roth posted:

Actually, I think a better question would be: Why does KOTOR 2 have to be about the same things as the movies to be Star Wars?

It doesn't, but the conversation began with the applicability of KotOR2's themes to those of The Last Jedi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I thought KOTOR 2 was juvenile as hell, probably worse than what they're criticizing.

• Locked thread