Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

parallelodad posted:

It's not just the writing though the writing is bad. Those scenes are also amazingly poorly staged and executed as well. You can make a good "person with superpowers surprises other person with abilities" scene.

That's not the kind of scene I'm talking about. The two mentioned above have that aspect sure, but the skeleton they're laid upon is this romantic comedy one-upsmanship scene that gets written mostly the same, time after time after time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah the last time that was written will it was in Annie Get Your Gun

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Differing tastes and all that, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIEM59IPvlY

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Hahaha I forgot all about that. See? You know it's a completely formulaic and overdone thing if a movie like Hot Shots parodied it.

Edit: vvv Yes. Not sure why I said the sequel.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 16, 2017

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Longbaugh01 posted:

Hahaha I forgot all about that. See? You know it's a completely formulaic and overdone thing if a movie like the sequel to Hot Shots parodied it.

That's the first Hot Shots movie.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Dacap posted:

Daredevil would've been better if Affleck and Farrell switched roles

Daredevil would have been better if Kevin goddamn Kline played Elektra.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Ojjeorago posted:

Daredevil would have been better if Kevin goddamn Kline played Elektra.

Kevin goddamned Kline elevates any role.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I liked Duncan, Favreuax and Farrell in DD. Affleck was ok but miscast and saddled with a crappy script. The costume was good enough and some of the fight scenes were good (Josie's Bar comes to mind). A lot of the way the radar sense was portrayed was really well done and I liked the nods to Matt's use of pain pills and the isolation tank.

I'm by no means saying it's a good film (it's poo poo) but there were parts of it I thought were done really well. I wish they'd dealt more with Matt in the courtroom, both in the movie as well as the Netflix series.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Netflix series should stay away from lawyering because it is laughably bad.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Affleck's Daredevil suit came from a time in the early 2000s when action movies were all putting their protagonists in leather. It started with Blade, then it was popularised by The Matrix and Underworld, then they did it in LXG, the X-Men movies, the Van Helsing movie with Hugh Jackman, that one where Christian Bale knows handgun karate, the Hellboy movies, Catwoman with Halle Berry and I'm pretty sure the Angelina Jolie Tomb Raider movies had a bit of that as well.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Wheat Loaf posted:

that one where Christian Bale knows handgun karate

How dare you not know Equilibrium's title! AKA the best loose adaptation of 1984 ever made. "No. Not without incident."

(Also, Daredevil's suit was basically a motorcycling outfit.)

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
I actually like the movies costume more than the shows.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Longbaugh01 posted:

How dare you not know Equilibrium's title! AKA the best loose adaptation of 1984 ever made. "No. Not without incident."

Gun Kata!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Throwdown posted:

Same, but neither are as good as the simple black outfit he has for most of season 1.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

Same, but neither are as good as the simple black outfit he has for most of season 1.

Ah, yes, I'm sure that wouldn't have gotten dull by the time we were in season 8 of 'the black blur's' adventures.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gaz-L posted:

Ah, yes, I'm sure that wouldn't have gotten dull by the time we were in season 8 of 'the black blur's' adventures.

The pussyfooting around his name became eye-rolling, I agree, but the actual outfit was cool. If it had been crimson and with a DD insignia on it I don't think it could have been any better.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
I can see where they were going with the TV shows suit but something went horribly wrong. Also, the concept art all looks so much better. http://screencrush.com/daredevil-costume-concept-art/

I'm just sad we won't ever see the yellow and black spandex on tv.

Throwdown fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 16, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Longbaugh01 posted:

Aside from Christian Bale knowing gun karate, the only thing I really remember well from the movie is this scene at the end where he chops the main henchman's face off with a sword and it is not good CGI.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
OH LOOK AT ME I'M TAYE DIGGS AND I DON'T HAVE EMOTIONS BUT I CAN'T STOP loving SMILING IN EVERY GODDAMNED SCENE OF THE MOVIE.

Equilibrium is a lovely film.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Rhyno posted:

LOH LOOK AT ME I'M TAYE DIGGS AND I DON'T HAVE EMOTIONS BUT I CAN'T STOP loving SMILING IN EVERY GODDAMNED SCENE OF THE MOVIE.

I thought the implication was that Diggs' character was a legit psychopath who didn't need the drugs?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phylodox posted:

I thought the implication was that Diggs' character was a legit psychopath who didn't need the drugs?

Then why was he screaming about "I'M NOT FEELING" when they took him in? The rules of the society was that everyone took the drat drugs.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

OH LOOK AT ME I'M TAYE DIGGS AND I DON'T HAVE EMOTIONS BUT I CAN'T STOP loving SMILING IN EVERY GODDAMNED SCENE OF THE MOVIE.

Even when he has no face, still he smiles

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I'll always have a soft spot for it for the way it builds up Taye Diggs as a rival to Bale's character throughout the pic until it all boils to a head and *that* face off occurs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno's film reviews are exclusively "sucks" or "X is hot in it".

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Throwdown posted:

The Netflix costume is really good. I wasn't a fan of the headpiece in Season 1, but then they fixed that in Season 2 in an absolutely amazing way thanks to Punisher.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Rhyno's film reviews are exclusively "sucks" or "X is hot in it".

I'm the hero BSS deserves

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Throwdown posted:

I can see where they were going with the TV shows suit but something went horribly wrong. Also, the concept art all looks so much better. http://screencrush.com/daredevil-costume-concept-art/

I'm just sad we won't ever see the yellow and black spandex on tv.

I remember reading an interview with the costume designer and he pretty much admitted that Daredevil's final suit wasn't designed by the show/him but was designed by Marvel Television. He said all the other costume designs originated with the show.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Medullah posted:

Gun Kata!

In the scene where it's a guy in shadow/silhouette demonstrating Gun Kata, that's actually the director/writer Kurt Wimmer.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
What's more deadly, gunkata or gymkata?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

BiggerBoat posted:

I liked Duncan, Favreuax and Farrell in DD. Affleck was ok but miscast and saddled with a crappy script. The costume was good enough and some of the fight scenes were good (Josie's Bar comes to mind). A lot of the way the radar sense was portrayed was really well done and I liked the nods to Matt's use of pain pills and the isolation tank.

I'm by no means saying it's a good film (it's poo poo) but there were parts of it I thought were done really well. I wish they'd dealt more with Matt in the courtroom, both in the movie as well as the Netflix series.
I thought Joe Pantoliano was also good as Ben Urich in it too

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Who does everyone think the best superhero movie villains are? I like Terrance Stamp as Zod a whole lot, of course. As far as post-Batman '89 movies go, I think my favourite is Alfred Molina in Spider-Man 2.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I just think the tv suit has too much black, if they made the black panels the same colour as the rest of the suit I'd have no issues

They really need to give Iron Fist a costume though because DD looks kinda ridiculous with the other Defenders all in Street clothes. It makes the most sense for him to wear a mask anyways considering he's in the public eye.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Wheat Loaf posted:

Who does everyone think the best superhero movie villains are? I like Terrance Stamp as Zod a whole lot, of course. As far as post-Batman '89 movies go, I think my favourite is Alfred Molina in Spider-Man 2.

Captain America in civil war :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Dafoe's Norman Osborn is amazing. A shame his Green Goblin sucked.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Lockdown from Age of Extinction is a pretty cool bad dude.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Lockdown from Age of Extinction is a pretty cool bad dude.

Optimus Prime is the best villain in any TF film.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Wheat Loaf posted:

Well, Joker and Two-Face from TDK are pretty obvious picks for me. Zemo in Civil War was pretty understated, but that's what made his overall plot so unexpectedly great.

I suppose Ian McKellan's Magneto counts as well right?

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Optimus Prime is the best villain in any TF film.

Well, I'd argue that Lockdown is the most competent Transformer and had poo poo all figured out.

Then again, Prime's incompetency and impulsiveness might actually make him a better villain.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Loki is pretty great. Joker from TDK of course.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Captain America in civil war :colbert:

Would you like to take this outside?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm a big fan of Ron Perlman's character from Blade 2.

• Locked thread