Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Elendil004 posted:

I haven't played in a few updates, but I saw Arumba was using a diplomatic interface that looks like it let him send diplomats automatically to neighbors, see who would ally him, etc. Where is that?

It's in Mandate of Heaven. It's part of the macro builder accessible under your country's coat of arms on the top left corner of the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

QuarkJets posted:

Seriously Humanism and Innovative are majorly underrated

Who underrates Humanism? That idea group is fantastic. I wish it was diplomatic, since administrative already has so many good idea groups.

If you make a custom nation (or if one exists that already has it) that has a -5 years of separatism idea, does that mean... you never get any separatism? Because that would be wicked.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Node posted:

Who underrates Humanism? That idea group is fantastic. I wish it was diplomatic, since administrative already has so many good idea groups.

If you make a custom nation (or if one exists that already has it) that has a -5 years of separatism idea, does that mean... you never get any separatism? Because that would be wicked.

Actually, there seem to be both 10 years and 15 years of seperatism. I haven't quite figured out what causes which kind to happen. I assume it's some sort of culture/development thing?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I've seen many mark it as a "luxury" group

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Elendil004 posted:

I haven't played in a few updates, but I saw Arumba was using a diplomatic interface that looks like it let him send diplomats automatically to neighbors, see who would ally him, etc. Where is that?

It's on the building interface, the one with buildings, troops, development, etc. It's the last tab.

e: forgot to include the post I was replying to.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

it's a luxury because it doesn't really give you anything you can't handle with a few stacks of rebelcrushers. It's great, but it doesn't let you expand at 125% the speed of normal like administrative does, or give you the best early and mid-game CB for 400 points like religious used to.
e: it's a lot more viable now that religious got balanced tho

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The +30% Improve Relations does actually help quite a bit in defusing coalitions and allowing you to expand more rapidly with less diplomatic outcry.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Node posted:

The base amount of separatism is 30 years.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The +30% Improve Relations does actually help quite a bit in defusing coalitions and allowing you to expand more rapidly with less diplomatic outcry.

Yeah but so does deus vult
I think after religious rebalancing, it's a solid option for second admin pick

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

QuarkJets posted:

All disagreements here should be settled in an MP cage match. You and your luxury idea picks, vs my proper ideas. Your first three are set at quantity, innovative, and humanism. Mine will be defensive, influence, and admin.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

^^^ According to the tone of the thread, Quantity is the must-have "proper" idea and Defensive is the "luxury", along with Offensive

Also I usually take both Innovative and Administrative, they synergize really well with massive expansion (effectively you gain unlimited manpower with the stacked merc maintenance reductions)

awesmoe posted:

it's a luxury because it doesn't really give you anything you can't handle with a few stacks of rebelcrushers. It's great, but it doesn't let you expand at 125% the speed of normal like administrative does, or give you the best early and mid-game CB for 400 points like religious used to.
e: it's a lot more viable now that religious got balanced tho

Most of the WCs I've seen have noted that Humanism is a "must-have" group because of how much more quickly it allows you to expand in the mid and late game. Expansion is not only restricted by admin points

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 16, 2017

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

QuarkJets posted:

Most of the WCs I've seen have noted that Humanism is a "must-have" group because of how much more quickly it allows you to expand in the mid and late game. Expansion is not only restricted by admin points

WCs also use quantity as their their mil pick, it's a little different.

Humanist is good though, but I think luxury pick is a good way to describe it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I guess that I don't understand the point of playing a map-painting game if you're not going to paint the map

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Koramei posted:

WCs also use quantity as their their mil pick, it's a little different.

Humanist is good though, but I think luxury pick is a good way to describe it.

In my failed WC attempt one of either humanism or quantity would have helped me with the billion rebels that overwhelmed me. Both make things so much less painful. In a typical game I often won't take either, though, or not until much later in the game.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

QuarkJets posted:

I guess that I don't understand the point of playing a map-painting game if you're not going to paint the map

I mean, achievements can give you a pretty solid purpose most games.

Not to get too smug (and I'm far from the best player in this thread) but there's a point where it's silly to talk about "the best" idea group picks, and that's basically every situation that isn't 1. when you're a tiny nation barely scraping by, where your picks will be necessitated by situation, or 2. a world conquest. For everything else in singleplayer, you can make do with whatever the hell you like.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

I take Humanism if I find that my expansion is hampered and my manpower drained by the time and expense of rebel fighting. If not, I might take it as a late pick for its other benefits.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Koramei posted:

I mean, achievements can give you a pretty solid purpose most games.

Not to get too smug (and I'm far from the best player in this thread) but there's a point where it's silly to talk about "the best" idea group picks, and that's basically every situation that isn't 1. when you're a tiny nation barely scraping by, where your picks will be necessitated by situation, or 2. a world conquest. For everything else in singleplayer, you can make do with whatever the hell you like.

Aren't most achievements just a form of "paint the map in this specific way"? Not the whole map, mind, but EU4 feels like a game that's mostly about conquest and I think most people are going to pick ideas on the basis of being able to conquer more effectively

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

^^^ According to the tone of the thread, Quantity is the must-have "proper" idea and Defensive is the "luxury", along with Offensive

Also I usually take both Innovative and Administrative, they synergize really well with massive expansion (effectively you gain unlimited manpower with the stacked merc maintenance reductions)

I just this week finished the easiest wc (otto) and the problems humanist solved weren't the problems I was having. Obviously I would have liked fewer rebels, but administrative has to be first pick, then I took religious first idea for the CB, then my idea slots went on a bunch of mil and dip groups, then by the time I had a free group all my admin points were going into coring. Maybe, maaaaaaaybe the extra improve relations would have helped me get coalitioned less, but I doubt it because of a) deus vult giving -25% and b) everyone worth worrying about was at -800ae anyway.

I think luxury is a good label for it, yeah.

e: maybe it becomes more important for harder WC countries, but...I'm not sure how. At any rate, as I've said, however it was in 1.19 it's a lot more viable now.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
As someone who did an austrian world conquest I can testify that humanism is not necessary as I never took it and never had a want to take it

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Anyone else feeling the allied war AI dumber than before? I'm Brandeburg allied with Ottos and they are quite happy to just leave three 25k stacks parked near each other and let a monster 40k russian stack eat them one at a time without reinforcing any battles, or abandoning sieges that are at 58% to go chase a tiny 2k stack or mercs.

Also, did they buff Hungary? I have full Brandenburg ideas plus Offensive, properly filled out army lines, and still lose battles often despite always having at least 5k advantage over them.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sephyr posted:

Anyone else feeling the allied war AI dumber than before? I'm Brandeburg allied with Ottos and they are quite happy to just leave three 25k stacks parked near each other and let a monster 40k russian stack eat them one at a time without reinforcing any battles, or abandoning sieges that are at 58% to go chase a tiny 2k stack or mercs.

Also, did they buff Hungary? I have full Brandenburg ideas plus Offensive, properly filled out army lines, and still lose battles often despite always having at least 5k advantage over them.

The AI has always been really bad about abandoning sieges. They'll often abandon near-complete sieges to reinforce battles, something you can exploit. The AI doesn't know how to split stacks to do anything other than occasionally carpet siege when they deem it safe to do so, so they'll never do the smart thing of leaving a token force to keep a siege alive when reinforcing battles. The 40k stack eating three adjacent 25k stacks one by one thing sounds like a bug. That used to happen at release but I haven't seen it in a real long time.

And no, Hungary wasn't buffed. Maybe they have better generals than you?

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 16, 2017

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Hungary could be ahead of you in military technology. That's often the case when I find myself losing battles I think I should be winning.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Oh yeah, always check military tech before declaring war, and try not to fight against enemies with higher tactics than you unless you have an overwhelming advantage in all other areas.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What's the deal with states v. territories? I know that you get extra income from states, but I'm not sure what else. Should I keep states close to the core of the country, or should I stick them out on the border to get ready for future expansion? Or should I just make wealthy provinces states and demote the poorer ones to territories? And do I want to always be using my full state limit?

I'm also poking around with the idea of claims lately, and I'm not sure how exactly they work. Can you only really get aggressive expansion reduction reduction from a single claim that you're pressing as the war goal in the war declaration screen, or is the claim just an excuse to get into a war with a conquest CB and basically full prices for everything, with much less reason to get multiple clumps of claims to push? And do claims not matter when you're using a different CB from conquest? I just got through with a war with Milan with the excommunicated ruler CB, and I'm not sure I'm getting any less AE with the two provinces I fabricated claims on than with one that I didn't claim, and I'm too lazy to go back and redo the war with a conquest CB to check if that's a better deal. I was also using the war as an opportunity to crush Milan's various uppity allies within the HRE and split them up into nations that'll be alternatively less of a threat to my hegemony and grateful for being given independence, and that may have skewed my results.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

SlothfulCobra posted:

What's the deal with states v. territories? I know that you get extra income from states, but I'm not sure what else. Should I keep states close to the core of the country, or should I stick them out on the border to get ready for future expansion? Or should I just make wealthy provinces states and demote the poorer ones to territories? And do I want to always be using my full state limit?

I'm also poking around with the idea of claims lately, and I'm not sure how exactly they work. Can you only really get aggressive expansion reduction reduction from a single claim that you're pressing as the war goal in the war declaration screen, or is the claim just an excuse to get into a war with a conquest CB and basically full prices for everything, with much less reason to get multiple clumps of claims to push? And do claims not matter when you're using a different CB from conquest? I just got through with a war with Milan with the excommunicated ruler CB, and I'm not sure I'm getting any less AE with the two provinces I fabricated claims on than with one that I didn't claim, and I'm too lazy to go back and redo the war with a conquest CB to check if that's a better deal. I was also using the war as an opportunity to crush Milan's various uppity allies within the HRE and split them up into nations that'll be alternatively less of a threat to my hegemony and grateful for being given independence, and that may have skewed my results.

Territories have a minimum autonomy of 75%. This affects money, production, manpower income, as well as your maximum force limits. On top of that, the cores are lost immediately in a war, should you lose them in the peace deal.

States, on the other hand, have no minimum cap, can be given to an estate, and the cores on the province remain even if you lose the provinces, allowing you a very good CB, Reconquest - allowing you to get back those provinces for very cheap and little AE. On top of that, they can now get prosperity - giving you additional bonuses. So, yes, your wealthy states should be made full cores.

With Mandate of Heaven, you want to keep your states as safe as possible, so they can enjoy prosperity, but you can also turn your border regions into states as a safety net - in doing so, you do not lose the cores if you lose a war, but those provinces probably won't enjoy the prosperity bonuses.

Also, Claims give you 10% cheaper coring, AND they remove the Unjustified Demand penalty to your Diplo points for that province. I'm not entirely sure about lower AE with claims - but it's definitely worth claiming multiple provinces, especially high cost ones. Some Nations also get permanent claims - those even make the province 25% cheaper (iirc) and can only be lost in war.

All in all, Conquest is a "easy" CB, but not the best one. Deus Vult (from religious ideas) is a good one because it removes ALL Unjustified Demand costs to your Dip, and losers AE on top. However, like most other CB's, they have limits as to how you can get them or when they can be used.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 17, 2017

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
On a related note, is it just me or is the game not actually estimating the maintenance cost of states? I go to turn a territory into a state, the tool tip says "This will bring you .5 ducats and costs zero in state maintenance" but when I make it a state it always has a state maintenance cost--sometimes in excess of the worth of the state. I understand that part of this likely considering future value once autonomy decreases--but if I can't see the potential maintenance cost then I am kind of blind.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I think the tool tip assumes that's how much you would earn when the autonomy has reduced to zero, so there's limited gain in stating provinces with 100% autonomy (i.e. Those you have just taken in a war and increased autonomy to lower revolt risk )

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Jel Shaker posted:

I think the tool tip assumes that's how much you would earn when the autonomy has reduced to zero, so there's limited gain in stating provinces with 100% autonomy (i.e. Those you have just taken in a war and increased autonomy to lower revolt risk )

This. It literally says "once autonomy has been lowered" in the description, for this reason. It tells you the 0.0% Autonomy income you get out of the province.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
The issue is that it seems to always show the estimated maintenance cost as zero which is weird (and it never is). Is there something I'm missing?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Edit: Never mind. It looks like the previews are just broken in general right now... However, you can "state" a state, and then press the "turn into territory" button again, and it'll tell you the upkeep - no need to pay core costs beforehand!

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 16, 2017

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Yami Fenrir posted:

Edit: Never mind. It looks like the previews are just broken in general right now... However, you can "state" a state, and then press the "turn into territory" button again, and it'll tell you the upkeep - no need to pay core costs beforehand!

Yeah it's kinda broken, in my experience it tells you the net worth. Say the state will earn you 1 ducat and cost 0.5, it'll show 0.50 and 0 respectively. At least I think.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mr. Fowl posted:

Any advice for Granada? Are there certain start conditions I should shoot for or a particular ally I need?

Restart the game until Castille and Aragon get into a dickfight over Navarre then jump Castille when they're double-teamed by Portugal and Aragon. Make a backup of that save so you don't have to waste hours of your life restarting the game to get those conditions. Even if you take La Mancha for gold and release Leon, it's still a pretty rough game and god help you if France dips a toe into the peninsula.

Also Granada has a great colour and Al-Andalusia has the worst.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Yami Fenrir posted:

Territories have a minimum autonomy of 75%. This affects money, production, manpower income, as well as your maximum force limits. On top of that, they are lost immediately in a war, should you lose one.

Wait... WHAT? Is this new with MoH? I'm confused by what you mean here exactly.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Fintilgin posted:

Wait... WHAT? Is this new with MoH? I'm confused by what you mean here exactly.

If an enemy takes a territory in a war, you lose your core on it. If your enemy takes a state in a war, you keep your core and can declare reconquest wars for said cores. Sorry, that was badly worded.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Yami Fenrir posted:

If an enemy takes a territory in a war, you lose your core on it. If your enemy takes a state in a war, you keep your core and can declare reconquest wars for said cores. Sorry, that was badly worded.

Ah, ok.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Ugghhh how can my allies run such incredible debts? They haven't gone on any huge wars of note. Saxony has done little but nibble a province here and there and help defend me from the drat Russians, but when I tried to call them to give those orthodox brutes a what-for, they are some 1600 ducats in debt and can't be bothered. The French? 1900 ducats in the red. Seems only the Danes can balance a checkbook, despite having lost Sweden.

Maybe I should start taking serial loans and see if it will keep them from inviting me into their bogus wars that will ruin my diplomatic standing if I refuse.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm almost certain the AI deliberately racks up a huge amount of debt just to have an excuse to not join your wars.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

take out your own loans to pay their loans and then make them bleed for you

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Looks like I have a bunch of achievements to do as a European superpower (like eat India, eat Japan, eat Hormuz and Aden, etc.) So I'm going to play as Castile.

What to do about Portugal? Eat them up for the Seville monopoly? Vassalize them to keep their colonists, and annex later? Just stay best buds with them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Looks like I have a bunch of achievements to do as a European superpower (like eat India, eat Japan, eat Hormuz and Aden, etc.) So I'm going to play as Castile.

What to do about Portugal? Eat them up for the Seville monopoly? Vassalize them to keep their colonists, and annex later? Just stay best buds with them?

Fabricate claims on Portugal until the surrender of Maine fires and England is at war with France (if they decide not to fight you should probably just restart). If you take five or six provinces from Portugal in the first war you can vassalize them in the second once the truce is up. You can even save admin points by not coring their land and handing it back to them later if you want, but be aware that the higher their development the higher their liberty desire will be, and France will probably support their independence if they are still disloyal by the time the truce is up.

• Locked thread