Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
I think development anywhere should advance the next institution in your capital at the same time. Then I could spread the development around instead of ending up with one 40 development province for each institution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

God, being doubleteamed by an alliance of France and the Ottomans suuuuuuucks.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Mehrunes posted:

I think development anywhere should advance the next institution in your capital at the same time. Then I could spread the development around instead of ending up with one 40 development province for each institution.

This is how I feel. It makes sense and it also helps get rid of the absurd Institution Metropoli in the current version.

pls fix paradox

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Any advice for Granada? Are there certain start conditions I should shoot for or a particular ally I need?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

there was a trick that involves getting france to 100 relations and then demanding a white peace from england during the surrender of maine and they don't so you join​ on france's side. and that leads to an alliance somehow

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

:stare: Well, I guess I know what I'm doing with my newly raised state cap.

The strange part is that it has 0% colonialism. So they did all that between 1450 and 1510 or so and then just stopped. Despite all those monarch points spent so early and being behind in institutions, they still had an almost-modern military tech. Thankfully they lacked the always crucial tech 12. Still neat to see the AI spawn Renaissance through turbo-development, even though they probably could have done Colonialism as well if they had saved some of that development for later.

Also I have a 4/3 general with -10% shock damage received on top of the -30% shock damage from the insane Spanish Tercios age bonus. I'm basically invincible.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

This is how I feel. It makes sense and it also helps get rid of the absurd Institution Metropoli in the current version.

pls fix paradox

Yeah, it's a little weird.

Institution spawns are also strange. According to the yes/no list below the Colonialism spawn date on the Institutions page, I satisfied all the conditions to spawn Colonialism by 1500 (Capital in Asia, had Exploration Ideas all finished, had explored the coast and some provinces in North America, etc.) but it didn't spawn until 1502, and spawned in Porto instead of my Japan. I assume it's a MTTH event and I just got screwed, but it's still frustrating.

Speaking of frustrating things, is there an easy way to find out which provinces of my culture I'm missing (for the Age of Reformation Unify Culture objective)? Again, I'm playing Japan. I have all of mainland Japan, Shikoku, Kyushu, and even all of Hokkaido. Plus I conquered Ryukyu. I'm not seeing anything on the map that's Japanese culture (Kyushan, Saigoku, or Togoku) that I don't control.

Am I missing something? Is there a great place to look on the ledger for this? Or do I just need to switch to the culture mode and slowly scroll around the entire world?

EDIT: Also, you know what would be super helpful for managing states? A way to click on a state in the States & Territories tab, and go directly to it. No, game, I don't remember where Hinterpommern is all the drat time, or West Micronesia. So if I made one of those a state but didn't finish the cores because I knew I'd get a higher-dev state later, and I want to turn it back into a territory, it'd be really nice to be able to just click on it to go there! Or if I just inherited a bunch of stuff from a PU or Burgundian inheritance, but only have a few state slots left, it'd be really nice to just be able to sort by development and click on the top one to go there & state it.

(This goes back to my "I don't want to have to pick the correct map mode and get to exactly the right zoom level and then scroll around forever while squinting endlessly at the map" problem with the game.)

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 14, 2017

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i had a game where my majapahits managed to snag Colonialism... in 1538. i have no idea what europe was up to that game, but it obviously wasn't colonizing.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Mr. Fowl posted:

Any advice for Granada? Are there certain start conditions I should shoot for or a particular ally I need?

When I played Granada I pulled off the Escape To America trick. Obviously it requires some luck that Castile doesn't declare war on you as soon as the truce is over.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack

Mr. Fowl posted:

I love hard challenges, so I naturally have tried the Granada achievement many times. First off you will want some security beyond allies, you will want to attack one of your North African neighbours as soon as possible, Tlemcen is usually easiest, ally with Tunis or Morocco depending on which lets you and who hates Tlemcen and promise land and attack, if none of them hate Tlemcen wait until Tunis, Tlemcen and Morocco war with eachother and attack when whoever Tlemcens allies are will betray them. Just start over if this turns out to be impossible due to alliances or rivalries getting in your way. Once you have Land outside of Iberia Castile will usually settle for just the ones on Iberian mainland if worst thing happens and they attack as soon as truce is over, but your new land and power of yourself and your chosen Ally might deter a fight, altough I think the new patch AI will hesitate even less than before so who knows, if you are lucky Castile is forced into a Hell war with Aragon/England/France.

When the inevitable unstoppable attack comes (or if you smell one coming), try to hand your Iberian Cores over to Portugal instead, that will seriously sour relations between two otherwise Bros for life and cause more distractions for you to do your next step.

Said next step depends alot on how you are situated, If you allied Morocco then Tunis and what is left of Tlem is probably your enemy and you can crush your way closer to Ottomans through the Mamlukes in hopes of securing an Otto Alliance, which would basically guarantee your survival for the rest of the game and you can do what you want from there.

If you allied Tunis and Morocco is your enemy, I would definitely go Colonizing (you probably want to do this in above situation too), escape to America or go to West Africa to take over poor mil tech tribes both work well unless Mali or someone else Blobbed up there.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Arcturas posted:

Yeah, it's a little weird.

Institution spawns are also strange. According to the yes/no list below the Colonialism spawn date on the Institutions page, I satisfied all the conditions to spawn Colonialism by 1500 (Capital in Asia, had Exploration Ideas all finished, had explored the coast and some provinces in North America, etc.) but it didn't spawn until 1502, and spawned in Porto instead of my Japan. I assume it's a MTTH event and I just got screwed, but it's still frustrating.

Yeah it's MTTH for any province that fulfills all the requirements as long as it's 1500 or later.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Colonialism also requires a 15 12 development province with a land route to your nation's capital. That province being a center of trade helps. I've heard the more valid provinces you have, the more likely it'll spawn in your territory.

e: I saw a youtuber explaining this for the purposes of a Ryukyu WC, I'll see if I can't pull it up.

e2; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6J-NM3R-BI&t=688s

Should start 11:28 in and I had a few details wrong.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 15, 2017

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Detheros posted:

Looking forward to French Britain...those are Ottomans hiding behind the french up there. :allears:

Awww look at Thomond, thinking it'll nab the Pale off England and not get absolutely annhilated.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Can someone explain how taking up arms with your allies works? Ally calls me to war, I accept... then I really have no idea what they're doing besides their war goal. I can't even see where their armies half the time.

Should I just take some guys and hunt for the opposing side? Attach to one of their armies? And also, how much effort should I put into it - just send a small army to help? Basic questions but I get these calls to arms and then I have no idea what I should do.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

AndrewP posted:

Can someone explain how taking up arms with your allies works? Ally calls me to war, I accept... then I really have no idea what they're doing besides their war goal. I can't even see where their armies half the time.

Should I just take some guys and hunt for the opposing side? Attach to one of their armies? And also, how much effort should I put into it - just send a small army to help? Basic questions but I get these calls to arms and then I have no idea what I should do.

You share vision with your allies, so you should be able to see where all their armies are...

Ultimately it all depends on what you want to get out of a particular war. If your goal is just winning, you want to fight the same you fight a war on your own - pick the easiest war ally on the other side, beat up their armies and siege down their land. The only complication is you'll have to wait for your ally to peace them out instead of doing it yourself. But then you move onto the next enemy, and the next until the war is won. If you want something in particular out of this war, you can set the provinces you want as being interesting to you in the diplomatic menu, and then if you siege them down your ally is likely to give you (some of) them in the peace treaty. Otherwise, you'll just get a share of any money they take, along with a boat load of favours you can use to call them in to help with your wars.

Mostly though you want to be the one calling the wars, so that you get to make the peace treaties and decide what you want to get.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Jabor posted:

If you want something in particular out of this war, you can set the provinces you want as being interesting to you in the diplomatic menu, and then if you siege them down your ally is likely to give you (some of) them in the peace treaty.

Thanks, I did not realize this.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

AndrewP posted:

Thanks, I did not realize this.
I think you have to have a certain DLC to do it but I'm not sure which one.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

That's a Cossacks feature. Cossacks allows you to basically publically declare provinces as "vital interest," which the other AIs will see and react to accordingly. The AI use that feature as well so you can see what they want, and they will also try to award you those provinces in wars. But if you set the same provinces as your allies, friction may arise and they could break the alliance over it (you get a warning). It's a neat feature.

edit: They (usually) won't give you poo poo if you have no war participation, though. There are also restrictions on doing it mid-war, so be sure to do so ahead of time.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 15, 2017

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Huh. I don't have Cossacks but I would also like another reason to join these wars besides just not taking the prestige and opinion hits.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Would be so hard for them to list the triggers for the institution as a checklist on each institution on the page so that people could work towards getting them? I mean, imagine eras without documentation for how you get splendor.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

WilliamAnderson posted:

Would be so hard for them to list the triggers for the institution as a checklist on each institution on the page so that people could work towards getting them? I mean, imagine eras without documentation for how you get splendor.

You can hover over something in the institution page to give you a list with check marks. Or are you talking about something else?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

WilliamAnderson posted:

It literally does this. Hover over the appearance year in the institution page.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
EU4 has fantastic tooltips that often tell you everything you could possibly want to know about something.

The downside is that sometimes the only place to get that information is in the tooltip, and you can't really find it unless you already know it's there or you're willing to explore the whole interface hovering over everything.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I am discovering the joy of humanist. I go on a conquering spree and unrest stays around 3 instead of the usual 12-15, and -5 years of separatism means basically no revolts at all. Another few years and I will be in a position to challenge my overlord Ming (who is currently fighting great britain to make them his bitch :v: )

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Seriously Humanism and Innovative are majorly underrated

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

:negative:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Scotland, though!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

TorakFade posted:

I am discovering the joy of humanist. I go on a conquering spree and unrest stays around 3 instead of the usual 12-15, and -5 years of separatism means basically no revolts at all. Another few years and I will be in a position to challenge my overlord Ming (who is currently fighting great britain to make them his bitch :v: )

To add to this, "Improve Relations +X%" actually affects every relation modifier in your favor, including Aggressive Expansion, allowing you to conquer more frequently without getting on everyone's bad side. Humanist is a superb idea group for military conquest, oddly enough.

edit: I just want to complain for a bit about how utterly awful of a name "Improve Relations" is for that modifier. Its old name "Better Relations Over Time" may not have been very descriptive of its effect, but it was at least a little bit more so than "Improve Relations," which is downright deceptive. For a VERY long time, I thought it only impacted how quickly your diplomats improved relations with other countries using the improve relations command, because that's what the modifier is freaking called.

QuarkJets posted:

Seriously Humanism and Innovative are majorly underrated

Innovative I'm less sold on. Those bonuses just don't seem to amount to much. Is this one of those things where the events it enables are better than the ideas themselves?

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 15, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Here's my pitch:

The War Exhaustion idea in the Innovative group is so good that once you take it you basically never need to worry about War Exhaustion ever again. On average it may save as many monarch points as the -25% coring cost idea in Administrative, which is considered a must-have idea in most runs because of the savings it provides. Even in a winning war it's easy to accumulate +10 War Exhaustion, which corresponds to +30% coring cost. The cap is +20, which is hard to reach if you're not simply losing but in a hell-war it's possible, and that's +60% coring cost. That's on top of all of the other terrible bad things that WE does to you.

I don't think anyone is seriously going to sit around with uncored provinces waiting for WE to tick down, because overextension is bad too, so you either eat the coring cost penalty or you buy down your WE at 75 diplo/2 points, which ain't cheap. Diplomatic ideas reduce the diplo price by 33%, which is helpful but not amazing. Typical wars in my experience are at least 5-10 years (5 is when the "Length of War" negative modifier drops to 0), so that's hundreds of diplo points saved through a passive benefit, and hundreds more for your longer wars

Granted, you can get half of the WE reduction bonus by being Defender of the Faith. That comes with a bunch of downsides, though, and isn't always going to be an option.

Other Key Benefits:

The Innovative + Offensive policy is probably the best policy in the game: +10% siege ability and +1 leader siege pip across the board, both really good and really hard to get bonuses. This is the cherry on top.

Innovative also has some of the best idea-group events in the game, including random free 50 monarch points and 5%-10% tech cost discounts. That's on top of the 5% tech discount that you get for having the group, which is also a ton of points saved over the course of a game.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 15, 2017

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Innovative I'm less sold on. Those bonuses just don't seem to amount to much. Is this one of those things where the events it enables are better than the ideas themselves?

The events are decent, mostly tech cost discounts, extra monarch power, or random advisors. Nothing terribly exciting, but not that bad. But Innovative has some of the best policies in the game.

That's the main pull for me, the actual ideas are just OK (-0.05 WE / -25% merc cost are good all the time, -5% tech cost is good if taken early, -25% advisor cost finisher is good late game), but the policies shine: +1 siege pip and +10% siege ability (best policy ever and the only way to guarantee a siege pip to all your generals afaik), +20% Infantry Combat, +20% goods produced are nothing to scoff at, and many more provide various cost discounts / income bonuses so you can run a bleeding-edge country even if your economy isn't already huge for some reason

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Here's my pitch:

The War Exhaustion idea in the Innovative group is so good that once you take it you basically never need to worry about War Exhaustion ever again. On average it may save as many monarch points as the -25% coring cost idea in Administrative, which is considered a must-have idea in most runs because of the savings it provides. Even in a winning war it's easy to accumulate +10 War Exhaustion, which corresponds to +30% coring cost. The cap is +20, which is hard to reach if you're not simply losing but in a hell-war it's possible, and that's +60% coring cost. That's on top of all of the other terrible bad things that WE does to you.

I don't think anyone is seriously going to sit around with uncored provinces waiting for WE to tick down, because overextension is bad too, so you either eat the coring cost penalty or you buy down your WE at 75 diplo/2 points, which ain't cheap. Diplomatic ideas reduce the diplo price by 33%, which is helpful but not amazing. Typical wars in my experience are at least 5-10 years (5 is when the "Length of War" negative modifier drops to 0), so that's hundreds of diplo points saved through a passive benefit, and hundreds more for your longer wars

Granted, you can get half of the WE reduction bonus by being Defender of the Faith. That comes with a bunch of downsides, though, and isn't always going to be an option.

Other Key Benefits:

The Innovative + Offensive policy is probably the best policy in the game: +10% siege ability and +1 leader siege pip across the board, both really good and really hard to get bonuses. This is the cherry on top.

Innovative also has some of the best idea-group events in the game, including random free 50 monarch points and 5%-10% tech cost discounts. That's on top of the 5% tech discount that you get for having the group, which is also a ton of points saved over the course of a game.

I very, very rarely reach 10 war exhaustion, unless the war is some epic hell war that goes undecided for years and years, which isn't very common for me. I ultimately don't have to reduce war exhaustion very much, even in my conquest-heavy games. I don't understand how you're getting so much of it, actually. Even in wars where I lose most of my manpower pool, I maybe only have to reduce WE once and end up with only a point or two afterwards. It seems very hard to get a lot unless you're just getting savaged.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Yeah if you're playing a tiny minor constantly fighting for your survival, struggling for every province you take, it sounds like a decent pick (especially as you're not going to be using all your admin on coring vast swathes of land). If you're a great power who never even has wars declared on you, it's pretty pointless aside from the policies

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Something is definitely wonky with tributary states and colonial nations.

Any war declared on my colonial nations won't call me in which is a pain

I am a tributary of Ming and had vassalized ternate who had ternatan Australia. When I annexed them ternatan Australia went to Ming.

Pdx please take a hard look at this because being in east Asia or a colonial power right now is a clusterfuck :v:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I very, very rarely reach 10 war exhaustion, unless the war is some epic hell war that goes undecided for years and years, which isn't very common for me. I ultimately don't have to reduce war exhaustion very much, even in my conquest-heavy games. I don't understand how you're getting so much of it, actually. Even in wars where I lose most of my manpower pool, I maybe only have to reduce WE once and end up with only a point or two afterwards. It seems very hard to get a lot unless you're just getting savaged.

What do you actually hit in a 5-year war? If you hit 4, which seems low except in cases where you simply stomp the AI, then that's either A) a 12% coring cost penalty or B) 150 diplo to pay. In that timeframe Innovative reduces it to 1 WE, or a savings of ~ 120 diplo. Techs are usually spaced 15 years apart; if you fight three 5-year wars in that timeframe with Innovative active then that's the equivalent of a 60% reduction in diplo tech cost. That would be bonkers under normal circumstances.

Granted, this requires that you actually be fighting wars often that aren't just "I defeated my opponent's 3 troops and occupied their capital"

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Even fighting absolutely continuously your war exhaustion should not regularly be a problem unless you are having serious trouble expanding in my experience. Get bigger and war exhaustion stops being a problem, and I say this playing almost exclusively OPM starts.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

I Love You! posted:

Even fighting absolutely continuously your war exhaustion should not regularly be a problem unless you are having serious trouble expanding in my experience. Get bigger and war exhaustion stops being a problem, and I say this playing almost exclusively OPM starts.

I basically agree. I only notice war exhaustion my first couple wars, or in really poo poo starts. Not saying innovative is bad, just another chump tier choice for chump tier countries that aren't blessed by the light of Europe.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Also they should make Ming take some action against his tributaries. Right now they're perfectly ok with me giving them 12 admin points per year or whatever while I eat all of their smaller tributaries and match them in development. They still have the forcelimit advantage sure, but I could potentially kick their rear end real bad if I put my mind to it (which I won't right now because I am having fun painting south east Asia and siberia red)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

What do you actually hit in a 5-year war?

Like, two or three WE? WE is only rarely a problem for me and I don't reach the point where I have to pay it down with DIP very often. I'm sure the monarch point savings for that idea add up and that's nice and all, but I can think of a lot of other ideas I'd rather have.

I didn't think about the policies it unlocks, though. Those are good for sure.

edit: In a war I'm currently in that has gone on for nearly three years and I've lost two thirds of my manpower pool in poorly thought-out battles, I'm at 1.3 WE. It doesn't really go up much unless you're allowing your land to be occupied or blockaded.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Apr 15, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I am curious what I will be able to do as Brazil when I, as Portugal, release my colonial nation and play as them. I have been developing the poo poo out of the country and building all sorts of buildings. I colonized over to the border of Colonial Peru and now Colonial Brazil has a border with Inca and I am going to feed some of Inca over, too. I Colonial Nations arent calling in their overlords I could probably do fun things once I am playing as Brazil...

edit: and I forgot - I am the 7th ranked world power as Portugal with only my starting land + a few colonies in Africa + plus a fuckhuge Colonial Brazil.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I haven't played in a few updates, but I saw Arumba was using a diplomatic interface that looks like it let him send diplomats automatically to neighbors, see who would ally him, etc. Where is that?

• Locked thread