Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PirateBob posted:

Why'd you needlessly tell me about the difficulty of the remaining bosses? :mad: I was looking forward to challenges.

I turned the game up to Hard in the third Palace, myself, and while sometimes it's frustrating--I've been ambush-killed a couple times by random encounters because of how much damage enemies do on Hard--but I sort of like the "don't gently caress up or you'll get hosed up" pace it gives to things. The third and fourth bosses were pretty tough on Hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Just started the Temperance social link, that was quite a surprise. I feel like it is going to awaken something in me, and I don't mean a Persona. :dance:

i like her more than makoto

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

PirateBob posted:

Why'd you needlessly tell me about the difficulty of the remaining bosses? :mad: I was looking forward to challenges.

You might find the other ones harder, I dunno. I didn't mean that to be an objective rating of their difficulty.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gaius Marius posted:

They automatically work without actually negotiating. Theoretically I think that the money one is supposed to give bonus cash but it always seems pretty low to me.

Gruckles posted:

They're the benefits provided by the Sun Confidant. They automatically get the persona to join you without negotiating, give you a larger amount of money, or a rarer item depending on which option turned red.
If you ask for a normal amount of money/item you'll be given the red option to ask for more, but there's a chance the shadow will instead continue the fight starting from their turn and possibly call reinforcements.

Gotcha. Somehow, that didn't connect - I knew it had something to do with the bonuses from Sun, but I wasn't sure what bonus it was.

Is there any rhyme or reason to whether or not I can press a Shadow for more money when negotiating? Sometimes it just ends immediately like before I had the bonuses.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The higher Sun benefit is a random chance that you get one big single payout instead of a normal + chance for more. The money/xp actually works in favor of not leveling Sun because of this, I think? Though I dig the Sun storyline and the top-tier benefit seems great

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I like what they've done for the final dungeon theme

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ryuji's instant kill thing and the sun choices that aren't guaranteed recruitment as a whole are player bonuses that end up sucking.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

What's wrong with Ryuji's instant kill thing?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Ryuji's instant kill thing and the sun choices that aren't guaranteed recruitment as a whole are player bonuses that end up sucking.

I don't agree. Shadows not worth my time are shuffled out of the way so I can get to the real threats. It's not like they're worth much comparatively. And the sun bonuses are awesome. Perhaps I don't understand the possible downsides?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Cause I want EXP and I instead I don't, and get YOU HAVE TOO MANY MASKS and the enemy dies

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

You don't get EXP or Money. Once you're high level, it makes fighting a pain because you can't get an ambush which makes fights take a while longer than they ought to.

The Sun things that aren't instant recruit are generally not worth it because the item sucks or the sum given isn't guaranteed to be higher than what an all-out attack would give you. The money one is good when it works in your favour but it's far from a given.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 16, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You don't get EXP or Money.
if enemies are low level enough to get killed by it they're barely giving you a relevant amount of exp or money anyway

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ryuji's line reading of "We were freaking out over some weak-rear end dipshits" is pretty good.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Man, the boss fight music for when a party member awakens loving rips

Endorph posted:

if enemies are low level enough to get killed by it they're barely giving you a relevant amount of exp or money anyway
idk I was getting instakills like crazy when I was going thru the third palace my first time and I was like Lv. 20

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
So is the game good RPG, or is it a glorified interactive novel? I don't mind story-heavy games but if it's going to keep my attention the gameplay has to be good, or the story REALLY good. I even enjoy some interactive novels, like the Phoenix Wright games, but think the Japanese anime/game obsession with high school is trite, and the setting overused. I've played P3 FES (didn't bother to finish it) and loved Catherine (short and sweet and not a high-schooler in sight). Is the story worth the time investment?

Edit: -rephrased some statements-

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 16, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the story starts strong, dips a little in the middle, picks up pretty strongly, dips slightly again, then picks back up to be about as good as it was at the start. Overall i'd say it's a pretty good story. The gameplay's really fun, combat is engaging and the stealth system is simple but fun and the daily life stuff is really fun to manage. It's a good rpg with a decent story and strong characters. also high schoolers are cool.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its borderline sad that this game for japanese teenagers stars japanese teenagers

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

ChaosArgate posted:

The highest level random encounter in the game is level 77 (Kali) (This is not counting the Reaper, mind)

Instant Kill works against anything 10 levels lower than you.

So once you hit level 87, you can no longer ambush things. Ever.

This is particularly annoying with the red group encounter in the second to last room in the game, which give about 10k XP. Which, if you drop the rest of your party levels you up every 6 or so encounters.

And you have to let them attack you rather than attacking first.

For 12 levels.

Or 8 levels if your goal is "Be high enough level to fuse any persona without using Strength", I suppose.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 16, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Renoistic posted:

So is the game good RPG, or is it a glorified interactive novel? I don't mind story-heavy games but if it's going to keep my attention the gameplay has to be good, or the story REALLY good. I even enjoy some interactive novels, like the Phoenix Wright games, but think the Japanese anime/game obsession with high school is trite, and the setting overused. I've played P3 FES (didn't bother to finish it) and loved Catherine (short and sweet and not a high-schooler in sight). Is the story worth the time investment?

The gameplay is great (miles better than Persona 3 FES, for comparison), the story's pretty good so far, and the cast is really good.

I think Persona 5 puts slightly less emphasis on high school--like, you still do school things and all your party members are high schoolers, but there are no more clubs to join and the enemies you're fighting against are often real-world-type bad people way, way above your pay grade. If you have zero tolerance for high school anime you should probably skip this, but I think it's well done and the gameplay is fantastic.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Supremezero posted:

The highest level random encounter in the game is level 77 (Kali)

I still don't see the downside here. So you can't ambush enemies you can just kill with minimal effort. In the final dungeon. I think that's awesome.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Renoistic posted:

Edit: -rephrased some statements-

Honestly it doesn't sound like you would like it. The gameplay, while good if you like JRPG combat, is not very much of the game by volume compared to the interactive novel components.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The higher Sun benefit is a random chance that you get one big single payout instead of a normal + chance for more. The money/xp actually works in favor of not leveling Sun because of this, I think? Though I dig the Sun storyline and the top-tier benefit seems great

Not really. Even before you get the larger payout options, it's entirely possible for shadows to leave without letting you extort them, so nothing actually changes all that much.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Endorph posted:

its borderline sad that this game for japanese teenagers stars japanese teenagers

I just wish they would move on to a different setting. Any setting that hasn't been done thousands of times already.

But yeah, you're right. This game just wasn't made for me, so I guess that answers my question!

EDIT:

Harrow posted:

The gameplay is great (miles better than Persona 3 FES, for comparison), the story's pretty good so far, and the cast is really good.

I think Persona 5 puts slightly less emphasis on high school--like, you still do school things and all your party members are high schoolers, but there are no more clubs to join and the enemies you're fighting against are often real-world-type bad people way, way above your pay grade. If you have zero tolerance for high school anime you should probably skip this, but I think it's well done and the gameplay is fantastic.

No Mods No Masters posted:

Honestly it doesn't sound like you would like it. The gameplay, while good if you like JRPG combat, is not very much of the game by volume compared to the interactive novel components.

Thanks. It does sound like I should just hope for them to release a new Catherine someday! Or an RPG equivalent.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 16, 2017

RME
Feb 20, 2012

real rude to have tae wear her punk outfit when i had to turn her down game

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

also this
ryujis instakill thing makes mementos a lot more painless than they have to be, so its good imo

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Boy am I glad I decided to make Palace 7 a two-day affair because this is testing my patience.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

corn on the cop posted:

Boy am I glad I decided to make Palace 7 a two-day affair because this is testing my patience.

It is long as gently caress, WITH bullshit time-consuming mazes. But the payoff at the end is so good I have a hard time staying mad at it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Supremezero posted:

The highest level random encounter in the game is level 77 (Kali) (This is not counting the Reaper, mind)

This is particularly annoying with the red group encounter in the second to last room in the game, which give about 10k XP. Which, if you drop the rest of your party levels you up every 6 or so encounters.

And you have to let them attack you rather than attacking first.

For 12 levels.

Or 8 levels if your goal is "Be high enough level to fuse any persona without using Strength", I suppose.

I beat the game very comfortably at level 70. Why the hell would you bother getting to 87?

Like, maybe I was a bit more underleveled than I thought I was through the entire game. Because the only enemies I ever insta-killed were Mementos weaklings, I never had it happen in dungeons or anything. I never even really felt the need to grind.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?
So I barely remember Persona 3, and never played 4 (despite owning it on Vita and wanting to). I realized early on that there's no real way to "feel your way" through the game and max all the confidants, get everything, etc.

Should I follow a guide for my first playthrough or just say "gently caress it" and see what happens? I'm not entirely sure this early on if I will have the time/motivation to come back for another 60-80 hour playthrough, so I hate to miss stuff but I equally don't want to feel like I'm on rails just doing stuff because I have to. Suggestions/advice from Persona pros appreciated.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

don't bother maxing all the confidants, it's insanely boring to follow a strict guide when deciding what to do each day is 80% of the gameplay

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
My friend who has never played a Persona game before, but is known for heavily min/maxing in games, has been playing this one. He just showed me one of the Personas he's been using (he just completed Palace 4)

:shittypop:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Mr. Trampoline posted:

My friend who has never played a Persona game before, but is known for heavily min/maxing in games, has been playing this one. He just showed me one of the Personas he's been using (he just completed Palace 4)

:shittypop:

How the gently caress?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Looking at those skills, treasure demons were probably involved. They are insanely useful for skill inheritance.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

sicarius posted:

So I barely remember Persona 3, and never played 4 (despite owning it on Vita and wanting to). I realized early on that there's no real way to "feel your way" through the game and max all the confidants, get everything, etc.

Should I follow a guide for my first playthrough or just say "gently caress it" and see what happens? I'm not entirely sure this early on if I will have the time/motivation to come back for another 60-80 hour playthrough, so I hate to miss stuff but I equally don't want to feel like I'm on rails just doing stuff because I have to. Suggestions/advice from Persona pros appreciated.

I've been playing without a guide and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna max out every s.link by the end. Or at least I'll get pretty dang close.

The key is to level up death ASAP to get the SP recovery items. You'll be able to get dungeons done pretty quick.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

ChaosArgate posted:

How the gently caress?

I think a better question is: Why?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I beat the game very comfortably at level 70. Why the hell would you bother getting to 87?

Like, maybe I was a bit more underleveled than I thought I was through the entire game. Because the only enemies I ever insta-killed were Mementos weaklings, I never had it happen in dungeons or anything. I never even really felt the need to grind.

Because there exist persona up to level 93 (95 in NG+), so unless you want to spend fucktons of cash, you're leveling up to that to fuse them.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Saigyouji posted:

Looking at those skills, treasure demons were probably involved. They are insanely useful for skill inheritance.

There's also the 71 Ma level 40 persona that I have no idea how he got it that high.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

OneDeadman posted:

There's also the 71 Ma level 40 persona that I have no idea how he got it that high.

Gallows abuse, more than likely.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Strength has been tenned, I'm looking forward to breaking the loving game now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Oh speaking of the high level fusions, I assume NG+ doesn't free up the level restriction since Strength 10 lets you pay your way to stronger fusions, right?