Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Why are you relying on Connectors are your primary means of joining them? Merge blocks are what will keep the ship together as a single grid.

I hope you intended "Connectors as" and not "Connectors are".

Mr. Powers posted:

I guess I'm still confused. There's a projector in the vehicle that projects the modules and that lines the connector on the vehicle up with the module, and there are also merge blocks. So, the merge block keeps them connected until built then you can engage the connector?

The connector is to transfer resources to the other section. The merge block makes both grids one so it's easier to control whatever's on the other side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Why are you relying on Connectors are your primary means of joining them? Merge blocks are what will keep the ship together as a single grid.

There are no small grid merge blocks on this server. I'm giving up for another year or so, anyway. Had built a large grid ship with all the basics to go find another home outside of the gravity well of the planet (my first home was under 0.56 m/s/s of gravity), plopped it down, built a platform, and when I released the landing gear the whole thing blew up.

I'm not a big fan of SP or creative, so I'll wait until MP is better again.

E: it's worlds better than when I last played which was almost a year ago, maybe two years.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Speaking of Multiplayer, we've got a Major patch this week with the new Server Browser

quote:

Summary
Hello, Engineers! Today we have the game’s next major update for you. This means that we have more significant features in the update on top of a bunch of fixes and improvements.
To start with, we have the new in-game server browser created by Rexxar. We’ve heard your feedback on the server browser over the last two years, and it has been completely redesigned. It is much faster than before, and contains many new features. There is now a loading wheel to indicate when the browser is downloading data from Steam. The search box has been moved to the top, and includes new advanced search features, which let you filter servers by world settings, mods, ping, and much more. There is a direct connect feature which allows you to connect to a server directly by IP address or host name (e.g. keenswh.com:27016)
You can also get complete details of a server before you join by selecting the server details button. This shows you all world settings, all mods, and all players currently online. For server admins, there is a new description box in the server config utility which lets you enter a description of your server that will be shown to users in this screen before they join.
There are also newly updated 3rd person character animations releasing this week that you will notice when using tools or weapons. The engineer will now hold them in a much more natural position than before!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjJP4FZ0q2k

Features
- New in-game Server Browser
- Updated Character animations
- Spaceballs now have the option to be hidden in the Control Panel

Fixes
- fixed crash when pasting blueprint with rotors into voxel
- fixed crash when repairing turret
- fixed crash at at Sandbox.Game.World.MySession.InvokeDelayedTasks
- fixed Welder radius
- fixed client-side Battery ghost power drain (battery won't refresh its state until reconnecting)
- fixed MyVoxelOperationsSessionComponent causing huge lags, freezing the entire PC for several seconds at a time
- fixed missing LOD textures displaying purple models
- fixed issue when uranium was not being consumed while sitting in the cockpit
- fixed scrolling issues in the G-screen
- fixed personal light not working properly
- fixed issue when player was sliding during mining
- fixed thrusters not doing damage to other blocks
- fixed issue where hand gets twisted while switching from block to rifle
- fixed particle effects not moving alongside with the ship
- fixed wrong calculation of mass
- fixed Armor Corner 2x1x1 and Light Armor Slope 2x1x1 models (base was sometimes transparent)
- fixed increasing production issues
- fixed wrong preview of copied non-functional blocks
- fixed issue when last removed gyroscope was still consuming power
- fixed Corner LCD's being upside down
- fixed green highlights in the campaign
- fixed issue when objects were still burning even after grinding them down a bit
- fixed freezing video in main menu background
- fixed randomized loot for drones and encounters
- fixed mountpoints for Large Cockpit
- fixed not being able to turn on the SHOOT option for turrets
- fixed old workshop campaigns (pre-scripting) no longer showing up in in-game workshop
- fixed Air Vent emissivity issues
- fixed small grid Rocket Launcher conveyor port
- fixed IndexOutOfRangeException in MyOreDetectorComponent
- fixed increasing production queue using ctrl + shift combination
- fixed Turrets targeting meteors only with moving objects option turned on
- fixed getting stuck in the campaign when canceling the loading of the next mission
- fixed inconsistency in spawning on planet Easy Start scenarios
- fixed camera issues in Campaign Mission 2
- fixed Player not being injured by explosions (Campaign, Mission 4)
- tweaked the flare effects
- fixed bright foot dust on Mars
- fixed issues with HUD modding

The Teaser's interesting this week; Wind turbines. Wonder if they're working up to weather in-general on planets.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Something that was happening to me a lot was asteroids disappearing. I don't remember that being an issue when I played a while back but this time it was pretty frequent, to the point that I had to place enough waypoints to be able to navigate in without seeing the walls at all.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Jesus loving Christ, are they ever going to get to an actual stable 1.0 release with this loving game? According to Wikipedia this went into beta in 2013, that was 4 loving years ago. Of course I also paid for Miner Wars when Miner Wars was sold as the game Space Engineers actually was, then was thrown away, so I have only myself to blame.

Ok, that's harsh, I got more than my money's worth from the game but I'd like to be able to get back into it without new poo poo breaking every week or month and I tried that a few months ago and things did not end well.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

RandomBlue posted:

Jesus loving Christ, are they ever going to get to an actual stable 1.0 release with this loving game? According to Wikipedia this went into beta in 2013, that was 4 loving years ago. Of course I also paid for Miner Wars when Miner Wars was sold as the game Space Engineers actually was, then was thrown away, so I have only myself to blame.

Ok, that's harsh, I got more than my money's worth from the game but I'd like to be able to get back into it without new poo poo breaking every week or month and I tried that a few months ago and things did not end well.

A bit off topic and much bigger scale, but minecraft has been in continuous development for at least 8 years now, 6 of which is after its official release. I suppose the two can't really be compared that way, but ... And Factorio was also officially released a while ago but is still in continuous development and improvement.

I do get what you're saying though, both of the games I just mentioned have had official 1.0 releases and are quite stable.

Just curious, how many hours have you sunk into SE? I have a bit over 600... back when I was addicted to it, I was putting 16 hours a day into it when I could. Considering it's a $25 game, that's about 4 cents an hour. 250 hours in Factorio for 8 cents an hour and modded minecraft... ehh, rather not think about it. thousands of hours for fractions of a penny per hour.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good
Do people actually PLAY medieval? It never really seems like it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I want to play medieval, but it seems there's literally nothing at all to do in that game? I'd really like to build stupid minecraft sort of stuff and minecart rides, but with actual physics, but it doesn't seem the content is there at all? Castle building is really well done though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Both games seem most hindered by the absence of enemy AI. If there was some sort of opposing force in the game then all of the engineering work would have more meaning.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I don't mind there being no opfor, seeing how I disable or cripple them with settings even when they're as simple as in minecraft. They just get in the way of building stuff.

What I mean is, there appears to be no interesting blocks to play with. Minecraft and space engineers have all sorts of fun machinery you can build with just in the base game, and mods add a shitton more. ME appears to have neither.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I played medieval for a while with some friends from another community, on a random public server, and it was actually pretty good. As long as other people are chill about not smashing your poo poo while you're offline it's pretty fun to try to figure out how to siege stuff/defend from sieges. With the ropes and stuff there's a fair amount of actual engineering to do, too. Last time I played people were working on building a gondola-thing to haul wood from the bottom of a hill to the castle on top of the hill.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I haven't played ME because of the apparent lack of content but its focus on physics and micro scale blocks would seem to make it ripe for introducing rudimentary industrial engineering as a mechanic.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Sadface that welding causes crashes on dedicated servers at the moment.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Welding any turret to about 70% caused a crash. The latest hotfix fixed it.

But elite tools are apparently broked? There's a temp mod that fixes elite tools; http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=905138840

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It never ceases to amaze, the variety and quantity of bugs that Keen introduce with every patch.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
It feels like welder radius is screwy again, too. It boggles my mind how a Welder attached to a station can't weld a block that's 3 small grid blocks deep on a ship. Like, there's a single stupid timer block in the "middle" of my ship (3 blocks deep) and if I fly the belly of the ship right on top of the welder, it simply can't reach far enough.

Bad design on my part, I know, but it really feels silly.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
My favorite welder bug is where it locks your ship to the thing you're welding and you have to get out and unpark and repark the ship being welded despite the fact that your welder ship is nowhere near the landing gear and not in range of them at all. Technically that's probably more of a landing gear bug but I've only ever had that happen while welding with a welder ship.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

XkyRauh posted:

It feels like welder radius is screwy again, too. It boggles my mind how a Welder attached to a station can't weld a block that's 3 small grid blocks deep on a ship. Like, there's a single stupid timer block in the "middle" of my ship (3 blocks deep) and if I fly the belly of the ship right on top of the welder, it simply can't reach far enough.

Bad design on my part, I know, but it really feels silly.

Bad design on Keen's part, really. A large grid welder should IMO be able to reach at least 2 large grid blocks deep, which corresponds to at least 6 small. If it's not that big, then that's what mods are for, to make the game playable.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

RandomBlue posted:

My favorite welder bug is where it locks your ship to the thing you're welding and you have to get out and unpark and repark the ship being welded despite the fact that your welder ship is nowhere near the landing gear and not in range of them at all. Technically that's probably more of a landing gear bug but I've only ever had that happen while welding with a welder ship.

gently caress is that still around? Or come back?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
poo poo like this is why that map I was planning on is on hold. I want to play SE, but the bugs, man, the bugs

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I think I just may have finally gone Too Far.

I took a break from my Eagle multipod... and built a Starfighter-portable sniping artillery Gravity-Propelled Cannon. It fires explosive-tipped armor rounds that actually do okay damage to Heavy armor.

It self-reloads from containers via Twin Welder and blueprint (I actually need to still test if the Welder's reach is far enough to build the whole Shell though...).

It does pretty good damage to Large Block Heavy Armor. And while the Hawk also has Little David cannons available, this sucker has no limit on how far it can fire. A single cannon pack might not do much, but bring some friends in their own GPC-equipped fighters and you can probably have some fun ruining someone's day from a VERY long way off.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Wait so thats a small block grav cannon?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Yup.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Neddy eat a snickers

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Drake_263 posted:

poo poo like this is why that map I was planning on is on hold. I want to play SE, but the bugs, man, the bugs

Same. Every now and then I think about reinstalling to recreate some of the chill times I had listening to ambient music and welding together a mobile base in a blue skybox but then I read that landing gear and welders are still hosed and I lose interest.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Has anyone else run into the bug where a ship gets rubberbanded with a station after undocking or decoupling? I lost a small ship last week when this happened---applying thrusters in any direction (even without stabilizers) would give me a small reported speed (but well short of the limit), except i wouldn't actually change velocity and the speed would be damped back down after i stopped thrust. In that case, my small ship has a tiny constant speed that i couldn't change no matter what i did, so it just drifted away. Yesterday, after undocking a large mining ship the same thing happened (except it wasnt drifting). I could still jump around, but always end up rubberbanded to my jump location. A server reboot fixed it, but I'm wondering if there's something else I could have done...

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
That sounds like the bug that was happening with batteries. Basically, your client is de-syncing with the server, and the server thinks you're docked/connected while your client thinks you're not. So on your client, you gun the thrusters and try to launch, and the ship sort of twitches and rubberbands back.

Usually logging out & reconnecting to the server will resolve the issue.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

XkyRauh posted:

That sounds like the bug that was happening with batteries. Basically, your client is de-syncing with the server, and the server thinks you're docked/connected while your client thinks you're not. So on your client, you gun the thrusters and try to launch, and the ship sort of twitches and rubberbands back.

Usually logging out & reconnecting to the server will resolve the issue.

Another fun bug was the anti-gravity bug that would cause your ship to float out into space if you'd been parked on a planet directly. So you'd log in for a fun session of SE, go jump in your ship to do some stuff and the server crashes or you get kicked off because you're playing SE and when you finally get back in your ship has floated 5000KM away and you never see or hear from it again until the server admin asks why you're abandoning some large grid in the middle of nowhere.

Oh yeah, also the super-awesome bug where you can destroy an entire server by having a grid with lots of storage room and accidentally leaving a factory on auto-repeat building unstackable items so that the grid has thousands of that item in it and anyone that gets within a certain range of the grid brings everything to a halt while the server continually transmits the state of that grid's inventory. Not that I've ever done that because that's stupid. :shobon:

I did post a thread on the official forums about that because at the time there was no way to prevent the issue and could be pretty easy way fro someone to grief a server. Really hope they fixed that.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 19, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Speaking of bugs...

quote:

Hello, Engineers! This week’s update is a minor release that contains some smaller improvements as the team starts work towards the next major release once again. You should notice that because the last update was major, we created the ability to rollback to the most updated version of the previous major update 1.179 via the BETAS tab in Steam.
One of the notable things in the works at the moment is higher quality and optimised tree LODs which will allow for denser forests while at the same time having higher frames per second on planets.
The programmers are pursuing various slowdowns and performance drops in multiplayer while also working on optimising rendering performance and improving the visuals and lighting in the game. These tasks in particular are massively time-consuming and complicated, especially as we are developing our engine in-house on top of programming the game itself. But we really appreciate your continued support and patience as we work on these areas.
Lastly, next Monday we will be streaming at 7PM CEST on the Keen Community Network over on Twitch. The first segment will be with Deepflame looking at Medieval Engineers and the game’s upcoming major release and then there will be a Q&A session with Marek and other members of the team here at KeenSWH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ4pjLuXmIg

Fixes
- :siren: fixed batteries and solar panels:siren:
- fixed crash while spawning modded asteroid
- fixed object states not updating when destroyed in multiplayer
- fixed tools working at the same speed
- fixed corrupted world file when using illegal characters for world name
- fixed incorrect position of personal light after dying and respawning
- fixed problems with selected blocks when player is dead
- fixed ship grinder flare being too bright

The preview this week is for a 1x1x1 Basic Assembler block. They're also apparently working on rendering and LOD to make denser foliage and general FPS improvements.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

fixed batteries and solar panels

Yeah I dunno about that, man.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
See the space elevator in the video? Someone commented that if there's any damage to something that big the game instantly hits 16+ gb and crashes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spookydonut posted:

See the space elevator in the video? Someone commented that if there's any damage to something that big the game instantly hits 16+ gb and crashes.

That sounds about right, because something that big has a shitload to render in motion. Nevermind calculating physics. To be fair though, if the developers are actively playing with it themselves it probably makes for good LOD/rendering debugging.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Holy poo poo, we actually got Hotfix notes for once;

quote:

Hotfix 4/21/2017
- fixed crash in HUD colors mod ( https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=889485290 )
- fixed crash when using area welder in XL industrial mod ( https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=574145580 )
- fixed crash in inventories
- fixed spectator not working in survival with creative tools on

Also a self-contained Gravity-Propelled Cannon module to stick in your own small-block ships. Just remember to aim it away from your face, I don't wanna get sued.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Holy poo poo, we actually got Hotfix notes for once;

Also a self-contained Gravity-Propelled Cannon module to stick in your own small-block ships. Just remember to aim it away from your face, I don't wanna get sued.

New problem, opening doors crashes the server and wipes your hard drive. Also, pressurization kills your entire family IRL.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RandomBlue posted:

New problem, opening doors crashes the server and wipes your hard drive. Also, pressurization kills your entire family IRL.

Should only take a month or two for them to fix it. And then reintroduce six months later.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

So I made a progression system thing involving unlocking blocks and such:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=911076611
And also this very important google-doc explaining everything:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1i-4zYwghJAWnMk_JtYwVxBvoDITd6hGdvIWWqWfEYL8/pubhtml

If you don't like the idea of unlocking stuff, you can ignore it because there's actually no code for it. I can't code. But there's a ton of custom made pirate bases on all the default planets and moons to visit and destroy. Including a giant flying one that starts flying when you get within 10km of it.

It's also gets very difficult as you progress. Lots of drone antennas and tons of turrets and whatnot.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 23, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ass_Burgerer posted:

So I made a progression system thing involving unlocking blocks and such:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=911076611
And also this very important google-doc explaining everything:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1i-4zYwghJAWnMk_JtYwVxBvoDITd6hGdvIWWqWfEYL8/pubhtml

If you don't like the idea of unlocking stuff, you can ignore it because there's actually no code for it. I can't code. But there's a ton of custom made pirate bases on all the default planets and moons to visit and destroy. Including a giant flying one that starts flying when you get within 10km of it.

It's also gets very difficult as you progress. Lots of drone antennas and tons of turrets and whatnot.

That's pretty awesome :allears:. I'm a bit iffy on the Earthbreaker Drill personally, as it's pretty fragile.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's pretty awesome :allears:. I'm a bit iffy on the Earthbreaker Drill personally, as it's pretty fragile.

Is it? It seemed fine to me back when I used it. It was either that or the mexplex mega drill. I chose the earthbreaker on its required mats being the way it is.

I could replace it with the mexplex one easily. It's only featured on one base. Not really a super required mod anyway.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Turrets are bugged. They're randomly targeting my own blocks (checked ownership and unchecked target neutrals and everything). Some of my turrets just randomly attack whatever random block looks at them funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
I think I poked my head in here like a year ago to ask how people liked this game - glad to see this is still going. For $7.50 I'm probably gonna pick this up on Steam but uh... what do you all think the over/under is on actually making it to release?

(Also has anybody written a "How to get Started" / "Known Issues to Watch Out For" post in the last 100 pages)

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Apr 25, 2017

• Locked thread