Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Can't wait until 3.0 adds literal minutes of content but we get to hear about how important the backend work was. But don't worry, when patch [insert patch here] shows up that'll really shut up the goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Exinos posted:

Can't wait until 3.0 adds literal minutes of content but we get to hear about how important the backend work was. But don't worry, when patch [insert patch here] shows up that'll really shut up the goons!

Every time CIG make a vid/promise/hint/fart it's always :

"Hahahaha Just wait until item/feature/patch/e3 gets here goonie, you'll see!! Hahahaha"

And like solid gold dog poo poo or unicorns balls, said thing never seems to appear, forgotten as quickly as it was once used to quell disquiet. They just move onto the next item/feature/patch/e3 that'll never be made.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
Hey any shitizens reading this, just imagine if these 2 things were true...

1. They can't get the engine to have more than 24 players in an instance without tanking performance.
2. They can't get any location or asset bigger than a std FPS map to function within the lovely engine.

If those things were true and thus far impossible to fix what would you do?

You know what I would do? I would keep focusing on game-modes which don't break my 24 person barrier and I would slowly push out updates which don't include any massive locations or assets because the engine can't handle them. I'd keep quiet about the very real technical limitations I'm facing and just plop out a few more smaller locations and ships. I'd kick the can down the road, keep collecting the pledges and pray to god a miracle fix happens.

Let's have a look what Star Citizen is doing...

Wrecked Angle fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 16, 2017

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
Big whale just got out:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/65r52g/friend_told_me_to_post_this_here_have_been_backed/?st=J1L6ZXL2&sh=c11187ad

That's a lot of jpegs.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Something was bugging me earlier , regarding the merchandise they keep making GBS threads out of Chinese sweat shops

Was there ever a stretch goal for all this crap ?

Or are they using backer funds which were pledged towards the game being developed , to make garbage plastic bits they are then selling for even more profit, which I can only assume is then going into the lunch room fund to keep the lesnicks from revolting

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

ManofManyAliases posted:

Sillybones posted:

I used these things once and never again. It doesn't look right and it feels god awful. Like being drunk.

Predictions:
SQ42 will not be in 2017 (obviously)
Something called 3.0 will be released mid year. It will have nothing in it that was said to be in 3.0.
The engine change will not be done before the end of the year. Nothing of value will be gained from Lumberyard and they will just stick with what they got.
Derrek Smart will promise big things that turn out to be reasonably medium things (Yes, console release. No, it will also never be done)
And the big one: A massive change in the direction of the project this year will be openly announced. Think: dropping the MMO side.

You didn't hear this from me. Natch'.

-We're going to see 3.0 release much earlier than "mid-year."
-SQ42 will, at the very least, have a level (or few levels) drop this year. Though, I'm optimistic for a full release before end-of-year.
-Certain evocati will begin testing 3.0 very, very soon.

Quote the poo poo out of this if you want.

Poor MoMA :negative:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Wrecked Angle posted:

Hey any shitizens reading this, just imagine if these 2 things were true...

1. They can't get the engine to have more than 24 players in an instance without tanking performance.
2. They can't get any location or asset bigger than a std FPS map to function within the lovely engine.

If those things were true and thus far impossible to fix what would you do?

You know what I would do? I would keep focusing on game-modes which don't break my 24 person barrier and I would slowly push out updates which don't include any massive locations or assets because the engine can't handle them. I'd keep quiet about the very real technical limitations I'm facing and just plop out a few more smaller locations and ships. I'd kick the can down the road, keep collecting the pledges and pray to god a miracle fix happens.

Let's have a look what Star Citizen is doing...

You seem to forget numerous CIG mic drops including the Pupil to Planet video 100% in-game real game footage and the GamesCom demo 100% real Star Citizen alpha 3.0 in-game real time footage and the random leaked 3d models almost completely finished and completed in-game real assets of the Lando Leak

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Sunswipe posted:

"Cuntiflas"? Is that supposed to mean something, of did he start daydreaming about Derek's magnificent genitalia and type gibberish?

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

You seem to forget numerous CIG mic drops including the Pupil to Planet video 100% in-game real game footage and the GamesCom demo 100% real Star Citizen alpha 3.0 in-game real time footage and the random leaked 3d models almost completely finished and completed in-game real assets of the Lando Leak

Oh yeah, indeed. Remind me, when was it that they first showed off the Pupil to Planet 100% real in game action which they now can't get working in game and are making GBS threads their pants about?

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

One less completionist. :D

Happy for him to be reunited with his money tbh. :)

Also in other news :

quote:

Letter from the chairthumb posted:
When you see a Planet or Moon, you will be able to fly there, land and explore on foot, or from your ship or a ground vehicle you have brought with you. All seamlessly, all with the incredible first person detail that Star Citizen is known for. With this we are delivering something that goes way beyond the initial promises and conception of Star Citizen; we will be simulating a First person Universe with almost no limits. It’s a great illustration of how with the support of a Community as great as Star Citizen’s anything is possible.

*Dreams/Sales pitch*

From : https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//15842-Letter-From-The-Chairman-The-Road-Ahead

I just want this bit saved for our future merriment at the non-delivery of these things.

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 16, 2017

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Catte Talk.

Does anyone else's cat have an outdoor guard watchtower?... or is my furball overlord completely spoilt?

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

fuctifino posted:

Catte Talk.

Does anyone else's cat have an outdoor guard watchtower?... or is my furball overlord completely spoilt?

poo poo man, seems a bit ott. I mean, you probably could have got a dogge for that money and had a proper pet.

I am in so much trouble. lol

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

They really have done a brilliant job of promoting Chris from 'bumbling idiot who mis manages a veteran dev team into ruin' into 'visionary leader who steered the good ship CIG into the future of gaming'

Even with the history staring them right in the face backers will still go nuh uh we just gotta have faith a litttttle bit longer

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wise Learned Man posted:

I assumed it was some reference to Cantinflas that I didn't get.

e:

They're implying Derek is Mexican as an insult? Combo racism attack!

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

Lack of Gravitas posted:

It's going to be great for my immersion when the NPC anti-collision pathfinding means no matter what table I sit at, the NPC's all avoid me and choose to sit at other tables. Just like high school :v:

I'll be happy to come to your table, proceed to clip through it, get stuck in a t-pose and then have the game client crash to desktop.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Drop the levels Chris
This is a lawyer

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

My mind still boggles at the idea of dropping 5 figures on a single game.

Refund of 16240 Euros, $17000 dollars.

You could go on a month-long international vacation for that kind of money. Or buy at least a decade's worth of new games and gaming systems. Or buy a new car. Or pay off a crapton of debt. Hell, even sitting on your butt at home doing nothing for a year would still be a better use of that money than Star Citizen.

Honestly, even if Star Citizen was exactly what this guy wanted it to be, there is no way in hell he'd be happy spending that much money to play the game. Over-saturation/burnout would set in before he'd get anywhere near his money's worth.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

Reddit shouldn't be talking about children :reddit:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Sappo569 posted:

They really have done a brilliant job of promoting Chris from 'bumbling idiot who mis manages a veteran dev team into ruin' into 'visionary leader who steered the good ship CIG into the future of gaming'

Even with the history staring them right in the face backers will still go nuh uh we just gotta have faith a litttttle bit longer

It's funny how things Chris says pre-deadline are taken as absolute gospel 100% proof that they will happen and yet when the deadline is inevitably missed it's all 'you don't understand game development, cutting edge and high fidelity are hard, they can take as long as they want etc etc'.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/new-concept-ships-concern

Need more ships, don't need a working game.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So, uh, 3.0 is coming out in June? Rumors say it's just a 100 sq km patch? That'd be loving hilarious.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Sabreseven posted:

Also in other news :

*Dreams/Sales pitch*

From : https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//15842-Letter-From-The-Chairman-The-Road-Ahead

I just want this bit saved for our future merriment at the non-delivery of these things.

"We are hoping to go way beyond what was promised in the pitch, while continually failing to cross the low bar of the original concept."

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

fuctifino posted:

Catte Talk.

This is excellent. :kimchi:

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/running-out-of-time-to-get-a-big-bennys-vending-ma

:negative:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Citizens on Reddit are playing time games again.

The Mitanni interviewed Chris Roberts on 10/19/2012. He CLEARLY said they were 1yr into the project then. So 2017 is year 6. So, 4 yrs late (delivery date was 11/2014). This 3.0 schedule puts it in 2018 (year 7) with barely 25% of what was promised, and not even 1 of 100 systems built by then.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

He has a lot of ideas, but no skills with which to execute them. Sounds like he'd fit right in at CIG.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

-We're going to see 3.0 release much earlier than "mid-year."
-SQ42 will, at the very least, have a level (or few levels) drop this year. Though, I'm optimistic for a full release before end-of-year.
-Certain evocati will begin testing 3.0 very, very soon.

Quote the poo poo out of this if you want.

MoMa is strangely MIA. I wonder why :smuggo:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Nah, that looks like a False Flag op to me. Anyone dumb enough to put $15K into a video game, and not for money laundering purposes, isn't going to create a Reddit account just to make it known to the world. Especially without giving a reason.

This was a low effort troll.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

D_Smart posted:

Anyone dumb enough to put $15K into a video game, and not for money laundering purposes, isn't going to create a Reddit account just to make it known to the world.

I find this argument to have some internal consistency issues.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

Nah, that looks like a False Flag op to me. Anyone dumb enough to put $15K into a video game, and not for money laundering purposes, isn't going to create a Reddit account just to make it known to the world. Especially without giving a reason.

Maybe the completionists are real, and he just got cold feet.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/star-citizen-and-cig-censorship

e; taxxe

Amazing Zimmo fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 17, 2017

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Citizens on Reddit are playing time games again.

The Mitanni interviewed Chris Roberts on 10/19/2012. He CLEARLY said they were 1yr into the project then. So 2017 is year 6. So, 4 yrs late (delivery date was 11/2014). This 3.0 schedule puts it in 2018 (year 7) with barely 25% of what was promised, and not even 1 of 100 systems built by then.

So at first he wanted to develop his game like Frontier and Elite. But at the end there is no game.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

D_Smart posted:

Plus there is the whole Sunday date on the PayPal. While I can see CIG developers working on Easter Sunday--it would boggle my mind if the CIG people authorized to make refunds were anywhere near the office on weekend.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Star Citizen is saving PC gaming and Chris Roberts is the savior! Just look at this character detail, you'll never see anything like it on a console:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

ACTUAL RESULT:

- Cats head clipping through dog

EXPECTED RESULT:

- A working loving delta patcher

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I'm watching the Building a Schedule vid now. Lol.

Wow, this poo poo is so broken in all levels I don't even..

Lots of :words: tho. CIG should try ED's approach and STFU.

As long as it brings Chris his truckloads of money, I guess its Mission Complete.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Why wait when you can see a female avatar today! IncredibleIgloo provides what Croberts can not :

I hope that's the Sigourney Weaver one because I love Siggy. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Comical options:

1: Because the draw distance would phase them out.

2: Because even two people standing equally apart from each other could literally be on polar opposites of the moon.

3: There is no loving moon in Star Citizen you can stand on.

4: Once you get >16 people, the moon crashes.

5: infinite people can stand on a moon made of imagination and cheese.