Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Staying small, and with Agrarian Idyll/Inwards Perfection, you don't really need the extra unity from the temple, at least, I was rolling in unity in my game without any additional help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah but you could be rolling in EVEN MORE

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BenRGamer posted:

Staying small, and with Agrarian Idyll/Inwards Perfection, you don't really need the extra unity from the temple, at least, I was rolling in unity in my game without any additional help

I believe the unique final tier temple also gives you an empire wide governing ethics attraction which is good for any empire. You can also transition away from them later as you can with the civic, plus psychic ascension is probably my favorite and gives some boss loving upgrades later on.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

One good thing about going for a strong unity hose is you can nab a bunch of unlocks pretty quickly without slowing down too much. Since you're not expanding too much, mastery of nature isn't hugely needed, but you could grab +25% border range, and unlock supremacy for another +20%. Combo that with the expansion tree, and between your 3-5 colonies and some frontier outposts you can secure a lot of space. After that a focus on the diplomacy tree would let you secure some buddies in case of aggression.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

OwlFancier posted:

I believe the unique final tier temple also gives you an empire wide governing ethics attraction which is good for any empire. You can also transition away from them later as you can with the civic, plus psychic ascension is probably my favorite and gives some boss loving upgrades later on.

Honestly I found governing ethics attraction more of a hindrance than a help--building up was easy, what wasn't was actually getting out of being a pacifist. Being at peace for so long, with so much governing ethics attraction, I just couldn't stop being pacifists.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

So I'm a hive mind, modified a species to have hive mind, then when I try to change their rights to resident or full citizenship it gives me the prompt and then marks them both unavailable. I'm on the beta patch which I read fixed that but maybe not?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BenRGamer posted:

Honestly I found governing ethics attraction more of a hindrance than a help--building up was easy, what wasn't was actually getting out of being a pacifist. Being at peace for so long, with so much governing ethics attraction, I just couldn't stop being pacifists.

Start some wars, declare rivalries with neighbours. If you can, lose a planet to the enemy but that's hard for small empires, issue the free thought edict.

Ethics attraction makes it hard to change ethics but it's very useful in the long run for keeping lots of happy pops. Plus, as it's a building, you can demolish the fancy temple to get rid of the bonus and then rebuild it as long as you stay spiritualist.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 17, 2017

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

If you deactivate the building it should turn off the +attraction yes? Shouldn't need to spend minerals blowing it up and rebuilding it.

xXWehrabooXx
Mar 11, 2014
So can you still move your capital after you build the Empire-Capital Complex or is it set there after building it there?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ZypherIM posted:

If you deactivate the building it should turn off the +attraction yes? Shouldn't need to spend minerals blowing it up and rebuilding it.

Or that yes I would imagine.

xXWehrabooXx posted:

So can you still move your capital after you build the Empire-Capital Complex or is it set there after building it there?

I assume if you demolish it you can move it?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Started next to a 25 tile planet that was something like 70% habitable, with two Beltharian stones on planet.

Once I colonized it, the Ancient Terraformers event popped. It was successful, and I've now moved my capital to this 25 tile Gaia world. Everyone but some faction dudes are at 100% happiness since I have Utopian living.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Is it possible to get more than extra dimensional weaponry and jump drives from the Unbidden?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Is it possible to get more than extra dimensional weaponry and jump drives from the Unbidden?

Not really. Weapons and junk drives are it I think

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
They really are junk drives after you're so used to having psi jump :(

Also gently caress the lack of modding documentation - I'm finding that you don't have to completely replace files, but most modders have no idea this is possible.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Has anyone done much mucking around with syncretic evolution? I need to test to see if I can replicate this, but I've had 2 of my pop's completely disappear. I have private colony ships and exploration unlocked for +1 pop on the new world, and I think they've disappeared after my new colonies have finished (using the syncretic pops for colony ship). They weren't migrating (no icons) and even if they were they'd be on one of my other planets.

edit: had one disappear about halfway through a new colony. I'm capped on food and have no migration treaties. I'll run the game a while to see if they're randomly dying without me doing anything, but every time I've made a colony ship one has poofed.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 17, 2017

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

xXWehrabooXx posted:

If you move your capital to a new planet, the empire-capital complex and all level 5 buildings are automatically downgraded.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Hrm, my war in heaven is stuck at 57%. I've occupied every single planet owned by any of the enemy forces (FE or otherwise) and have killed all their fleets. What else do I have to do?

Here's the save if anyone wants to try: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bim3mfsx4vm9ft2/cinfae.zip?dl=0

e: Apparently it's a bug. That'll teach me to play ironman. No way to unironman the save is there? (I googled and found some instructions, but they're a year old and when I followed them it crashes on load -- unzipping, removing ironman=yes in meta and changing to ironman=no in gamestate, and then rezipping using windows zip)

Also, how can I change my living standards for my synths/upgraded species? Or do they not care? The button is grayed out. They still seem to have happiness though...

alcaras fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 17, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Shugojin posted:

So I'm a hive mind, modified a species to have hive mind, then when I try to change their rights to resident or full citizenship it gives me the prompt and then marks them both unavailable. I'm on the beta patch which I read fixed that but maybe not?

I'm not using beta and it automatically makes them full citizens.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
So, I got tired of Not Having Jump Drive and up and conquered the Xenophile FE next door. As a Hive Mind. I was kind of curious just how pissed the galaxy would be at me for eating The Preserve.

Turns out less than I thought? Looks like there might be a snap federation forming against me, though.

Just about the only people still green are those with Trust 100/Federation Associate or Vassals (and not even all the Vassals are green).

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 17, 2017

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

BenRGamer posted:

So, I got tired of Not Having Jump Drive and up and conquered the Xenophile FE next door. As a Hive Mind. I was kind of curious just how pissed the galaxy would be at me for eating The Preserve.

Turns out less than I thought? Looks like there might be a snap federation forming against me, though.

Just about the only people still green are those with Trust 100/Federation Associate or Vassals (and not even all the Vassals are green).

You'll not get the biggest chunk of hate until you finish the genocide.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I find once you genocide even a little you may as well exterminate the galaxy, as even just a couple planets is like -300 decaying at 1/year.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

So the Unbidden have arrived, and they seem to be eating whole civilizations. It's on the other side of the galaxy, so I'm not too concerned. :v: Without spoiling it too much, can I do anything now besides build up a lot of fleet power and hope for the best?

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Trying to decide my next playthrough:

hive mind
fanatical purifiers (are these still bugged/not working right?)
spiritual / psionic (can you also genemod?)

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Psionics/cybernetics interact really poorly with genetic modification. They are mutually exclusive by design but there's a bunch of really blatant bugs with how they work.

One example is how finishing the cybernetic revolution project will revert all your modded pops to your founding species, this includes both traits and climate preference. In my last game I had the colonists gene mod event chain going and instead of becoming high-human my entire species became gurlam-humans but they only had one entry on the species screen. Then the next event fired giving them strong, and now I have two identically named species of humans killing each other. (Also they got fast breeder but it didn't remove slow breeders).

I don't know if the revert happens with psionics as well but it's practically the same function to introduce the trait so I'd guess it does. I think my biggest complaint with the game right now is how a lot of these events from the release version just plain don't work and every new feature patch break them even more. I have more than 100 hours in the game and I still haven't seen a precursor chain work more than twice.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

So the Unbidden have arrived, and they seem to be eating whole civilizations. It's on the other side of the galaxy, so I'm not too concerned. :v: Without spoiling it too much, can I do anything now besides build up a lot of fleet power and hope for the best?

Unbidden have some pretty good shields. Take that into consideration when you setup your fleets. If you have a free ascension perk available the +50% dmg one to the unbidden(and other threats) can be a huge help.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

It's not so much a spoiler but if you want to know how to tailor your fleet to trivialize the unbidden.
Build a bunch of battleships with kinetic artillery, go heavy on shields and any +hull health things you can get. Don't bother with armor. For corvettes and the like give them photon torps. Unbidden have bad range on their ships so if your deathstack is good enough you can kill an entire 60k fleet before it even gets close enough to start shooting at you.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
So, yeah, the Hate Switch was flipped when the genocide finished. I tried to get the jump on an empire by going ahead and declaring war on one, but then two more dec'ed on me. They're not too much of a problem, though. This is a hyperlane only game, and I've got Jump Drives, and now Tachyon Lances, and even the Enigmatic tech from the fortress.

The real problem is the Xenophobe AE that woke up after I killed the Xenophile FE. It's gone from being on the far rim to the south, to stretching to pretty much the country I just vassalized from one of the three wars above.

That... might be a problem.

I'm about 10 years out from another ascension perk, I might pick up the AE fighting one when that rolls around.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

alcaras posted:

Trying to decide my next playthrough:

hive mind
fanatical purifiers (are these still bugged/not working right?)
spiritual / psionic (can you also genemod?)

If you go Hive mind, make sure you get the gene perk that allows you to mess with other species within your empire. After taking over populated planets, just remove all traits and turn them into Hiveminds as well and ba-bam literally no downfall instantly!. Perfect workers!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Hah. Man, if you're on the ball, you can totally gutshot the Prethoryn scourge. Bombarding away the first planet they colonize before they start a second defeats them immediately.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Buckwheat Sings posted:

If you go Hive mind, make sure you get the gene perk that allows you to mess with other species within your empire. After taking over populated planets, just remove all traits and turn them into Hiveminds as well and ba-bam literally no downfall instantly!. Perfect workers!

Which gene perk is that?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The unbidden spawning next to your capital full of defenseless orbitals is bad news. We bee-lined it to their stupid portal and destroyed it but not until half the "planets" in my core systems were killed. What a terrible fate.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
Does anyone know if/when they're going to do their mod support pass, is it for 1.6 or for after that?

The mod support request thread on the pdx forums is so flooded with questions and suggestions I fear that asking anything at this point is a waste of time and will never get read.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Aw, hell, that's annoying. If you enlighten a civilization, they get the genocidal opinion malus from events happening before they were enlightened. I was going to raise up a new set of civilizations after having scourged the galaxy clean.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Strudel Man posted:

Aw, hell, that's annoying. If you enlighten a civilization, they get the genocidal opinion malus from events happening before they were enlightened. I was going to raise up a new set of civilizations after having scourged the galaxy clean.

I guess they had already received the horrifying radio signals by then.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Can anyone else think of more growth modifiers than these? Need it for some science.

Fertile: -30%
New Generation Agenda: -10%
Fanatic Spiritualist Edict: -20%
Genome Mapping: -10%
Consecrated World: -10%
New Life Expansion Tradition: -10%

Apart from planetary modifiers like atmospheric aphrodisiac of course.

A Tartan Tory fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Apr 17, 2017

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
wow traditions are so mod-unfriendly. Seriously, wow. You can literally have only one mod that adds new traditions. Add another and you have GUI conflicts.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm not using beta and it automatically makes them full citizens.

I had found old information when looking up how I do it and it turns out the beta patch that fixed it has already been released as a full patch :downs: I tested it and it works. ALL OTHERS CAN ALSO BE ME

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Most of the time I just end up making more battleships and gearing my entire empire towards that. I end up breaking most fleets before they even get near with all the artillery, emitters and so on I'm throwing around.

But then I tend to win most games by just making massive amounts of fleets and being quite unwilling to micro what's in them.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I just discovered what's at the end of alpha mod's frontier tree. It's crazy as gently caress mega cities that can soar a single world into hundreds of tech points. Once you get a hang of the chains you can build some massively tall empires. Anything below a 16 slot planet simply exists to feed the larger world's the resources they need to grow.

It plays quite badly with Utopia though, since unity scales off planets and not systems. I still haven't figured out of that's intentional because they specifically made the change for research scaling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Demiurge4 posted:

One example is how finishing the cybernetic revolution project will revert all your modded pops to your founding species, this includes both traits and climate preference.

As far as I can tell (I have done a little science :pseudo: but not much), becoming cyborgs changes climate preference to whatever your capitol planet is.

For a fun time, make your capitol a Tomb World or a Gaia World and you'll lose habitability with everything!

• Locked thread