Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

I never did figure out exactly why Battlefront was so much less engaging to me than Battlefield games, so I dunno if any of that stuff would fix it for me.

I felt like it was the the lack of ability to role play that is in battlefield. You can play Battlefield however you want and contribute in some way whether or not it's being a medic or a fighter pilot or a tank driver etc. also I just found the maps in battlefront super uninteresting and the 2 person squads were super lame.

I've never played a shooter where I just felt like such a meaningless grunt in an aimless battle.

Battlefield feels like a massive experience where there are all sorts of routes to having fun and getting gud. Battlefront felt like it either eliminated most of those experiences or dumbed them down or locked them behind arcade style power ups so you couldn't play how you wanted with any consistency. I just felt so detached while playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

The gimmick is that it attaches to a TV not that it's a handheld

Switch got a lot of gimmicks. Tiny rear end controllers, piece of plastic that turns tiny rear end controllers into an rear end controller, HD Rumble(hahahah), a dock, doubles down on motion controls, very large for a handheld.

edit: Oh yeah, self curving screen too :D

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 17, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Making weapons a consumable powerup is the dumbest of all neo-FPS design choices.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Making weapons a consumable powerup is the dumbest of all neo-FPS design choices.

Soon they will all be microtransaction consumables.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Detective No. 27 posted:

It was until Switch came out. Now I want all the indie standbys on Switch. Handheld BOI is a game changer.

Eh. This would be my stance too except for all the technical trade-offs and compromises.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
The more I see a switch the more I think it can do well but the "pro" controller for it is seventy loving dollars so forget it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

Soon they will all be microtransaction consumables.

dingdingdingding

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

halo 5 and gears 4 both have card packs to buy that give you consumable cards for the good weapons and vehicles and giant bomb said its too frustrating to play gears horde near the end without being tempted to cough up for card packs

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Alright mini-post mortem on my PS4 purchase:

Mixed. Game library remains massively unfulfilling.

Horizon is a legit marquee title. It's pretty, has a good narrative and original gameplay. No regrets on this one. The sound design alone keeps you hunting machines.

Nier....What the hell is this game. I hate it but I keep coming back to it. So many weird, anachronistic elements. Dumb anime poo poo all over. Wasn't worth the price but I keep playing. Befuddling but fun, aggravating but addictive

Bloodborne: I knew I wouldn't like it, grabbed it anyway for cheap. gently caress this ugly, lovely game. Seriously do not get people's obsession with Dark Souls and Bloodborne. Tremendously unenjoyable

Shadows of Mordor: I had remembered this game being better than it is. Also another cheap grab. It's alright.

Uncharted 4: quite a semi-interactive cinematic achievement.

Going to grab Rachet & Clank next. Wish there was more to the library than this. Have a feeling I'll be using the 4 as a media server even more than I did for the PS3. I'm pretty sure I had like 18 games for PS3.

The hardware and design is pretty fresh. Controller is great and the standby system that loads an 'off' console directly into a loaded game is dope.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Ammanas posted:

Horizon is a legit marquee title. It's pretty, has a good narrative and original gameplay. No regrets on this one. The sound design alone keeps you hunting machines.

Nier....What the hell is this game. I hate it but I keep coming back to it. So many weird, anachronistic elements. Dumb anime poo poo all over. Wasn't worth the price but I keep playing. Befuddling but fun, aggravating but addictive

Bloodborne: I knew I wouldn't like it, grabbed it anyway for cheap. gently caress this ugly, lovely game. Seriously do not get people's obsession with Dark Souls and Bloodborne. Tremendously unenjoyable

Shadows of Mordor: I had remembered this game being better than it is. Also another cheap grab. It's alright.

Going to grab Rachet & Clank next. Wish there was more to the library than this. Have a feeling I'll be using the 4 as a media server even more than I did for the PS3. I'm pretty sure I had like 18 games for PS3.

The hardware and design is pretty fresh. Controller is great and the standby system that loads an 'off' console directly into a loaded game is dope.

I dont think video games are for you?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
What is "anime poo poo" in Nier Automata? Is it the character designs?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

I'm pretty sure after 25 years of gaming I know it's for me. It's funny, the highs are higher than ever but those highs are rare. Even mediocrity is harder to come by!

Caphi posted:

What is "anime poo poo" in Nier Automata? Is it the character designs?

Character designs, plot beats, dialogue, cinematics

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ammanas posted:

you should have checked out all the great exclusives on nintendo wii u. what a loser

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Ammanas posted:

I'm pretty sure after 25 years of gaming I know it's for me. It's funny, the highs are higher than ever but those highs are rare. Even mediocrity is harder to come by!

Character designs, plot beats, dialogue, cinematics

Dude. 2017 has been a mini renaissance in gaming. If you cant find highs there...good luck searching for the mountain top. I don't know what to tell you.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

What you could tell me is literally some of the amazing games I'm missing.

Real hurthling! posted:

you should have checked out all the great exclusives on nintendo wii u. what a loser

That's kinda what cracks me up, Xbox has an even worse library and Nintendo has turned itself into a joke

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

he did say horizon is good

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

thankgod its not from japan i guess

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ammanas posted:

What you could tell me is literally some of the amazing games I'm missing.

wii u is a pretty googleable term i thought

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. Anime simply isn't my preference. It's ok that you like it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Horizon is pretty anime tbh

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

please consult this definitive list of what is and isn't anime in the future so that you don't have to play any games that are ruined by its taint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vC3HT1yhxw

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

how upset you are about this is itself super anime

Sakurazuka posted:

Horizon is pretty anime tbh

Nah it feels​ more European than Japanese

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Horizon is about as animé as Hatsune Miku Project Diva F

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bloodborne might not be for everyone but ugly, lovely? Wtf

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Ok to be clear bloodbornes aesthetic is ugly, the fidelity of how it displays that aesthetic is pretty involved. I just find it unpleasant

Its sound design is terrible though I don't think that's questionable

homeless snail posted:

Surprise that someone that uses anime as an adjective isn't very good at expressing opinions about things

I actually used anime as a noun, if you read my post...

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Bloodborne might not be for everyone but ugly, lovely? Wtf
Surprise that someone that uses anime as an adjective isn't very good at expressing opinions about things

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Ammanas posted:

Its sound design is terrible though I don't think that's questionable

I think that's very questionable.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

TO BE FAIR there are other great games for the PS4, but they're remasters of PS3 games or better on PC (MGS5, Last of Us, Titanfall 2, Witcher 3, BF1)

FauxLeather posted:

Really? It sounds like they've been reusing the same media library since demon's souls, which was clunky even then. The footsteps sound alone sounds like it was recorded in someone's bathroom

Quick example https://youtu.be/diHQ0qPIYuA
This is clearly some dude wearing a box on his head yelling while 4' away from the microphone. It's awful

Compare to Horizon, which has amazing sound design https://youtu.be/NsuWOuVFJrQ

The fidelity and complexity differences in these two are staggering

Ammanas fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 17, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FauxLeather posted:

It's possibly actually the dumbest thing said in a big list of dumb things.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Ammanas posted:

Quick example https://youtu.be/diHQ0qPIYuA
This is clearly some dude wearing a box on his head yelling while 4' away from the microphone. It's awful

My man, that's a joke video. It's a pitched down version of some internet meme.
You're better off watching the real fight I can't find a SFX reel of him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwHgNxF7v9c

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bombadilillo posted:

Dude. 2017 has been a mini renaissance in gaming. If you cant find highs there...good luck searching for the mountain top. I don't know what to tell you.

Yeah, I mean to each their own in terms of taste but this year has been bountiful and I just feel bad for anyone who can't find more than one game to enjoy.

Also the Bloodborne visceral attack sound cue is one of the top ten most satisfying sound effects in the past decade of video gaming

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, I mean to each their own in terms of taste but this year has been bountiful and I just feel bad for anyone who can't find more than one game to enjoy.

Also the Bloodborne visceral attack sound cue is one of the top ten most satisfying sound effects in the past decade of video gaming

Really makes you feel like you are there with your arm deep up that pigass.

Edit. Jokes aside. Yeah that's a drat satisfying sound. Its so good the sound is a reward for pulling off the attack.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 17, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Presentation-wise, bloodborne looks fantastic but I have never understood praise for its sound. Who the gently caress thinks a nonstop 5-second .wav of a chimpanzee screeching should be looped over multiple entire boss fights? I've run into several cases where I've questioned the sound design itself too, such as using pitch modulation on a sound effect that can play multiple times at once, which causes a really nasty distortion effect when it happens.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

I'm betting loving that attack sound is some deeply conditioned dopamine release after hundreds of from software games

Not my jam tho

FauxLeather posted:

My man, that's a joke video. It's a pitched down version of some internet meme.

Haha busted
Internet got me

Ammanas fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 17, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I could see someone criticizing the actual positional sound in Bloodborne but the sound effects themselves and music are fuckin excellent.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ammanas posted:

I agree with all your opinions, for what it's worth. This thread's most prolific posters all seem to share the same views so it makes it hard to talk about anything except what they like.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I agree with all your opinions, for what it's worth. This thread's most prolific posters all seem to share the same views so it makes it hard to talk about anything except what they like.

If your tastes align, do you have any recommendations for what's worth playing on the system, then

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Classic goon groupthink weird opinions like "bloodborne is good' :jerkbag:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Bloodborne has good sound design except for whatever it is that makes the visceral sound play way, way louder than normal and make my neighbors complain until I turn off the subwoofer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Well when the replies are 'what there are so many great games' without listing a single game you kinda wonder what the theme to the thread is