Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
We've all accidentally befriended someone we're just trying to trade with. You quietly unfriend.

It's just funny the way you said it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry
A Path of Building question - before blowing 200+ chaos on an energy from within jewel, I thought I'd see how much more shield it would give.

Having finally figured out the weird UI with this thing I faked one and added it to my tree, but it's showing less than I had before, replacing jewel that gives +6% ES. By my reckoning this slot should have +40% "increases to life in radius".

Is this the right place to put it (using this build), or am I doing something else wrong?

And what should ES be roughly if I do buy one given it's 10,100 now?

LordNat
May 16, 2009

xiansi posted:

A Path of Building question - before blowing 200+ chaos on an energy from within jewel, I thought I'd see how much more shield it would give.

Having finally figured out the weird UI with this thing I faked one and added it to my tree, but it's showing less than I had before, replacing jewel that gives +6% ES. By my reckoning this slot should have +40% "increases to life in radius".

Is this the right place to put it (using this build), or am I doing something else wrong?

And what should ES be roughly if I do buy one given it's 10,100 now?

You don't have any of those life nodes allocated in that build so the jewel does nothing.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So I'm getting a gear set together for HoWA and I have pretty much the whole set I think, plus enough to buy a vinktar and maybe a dying sun. Was wondering if anyone could check the set out and see if it looks decent enough. My character name is gayosidiot, if anyone who's run HoWA before wants to shoot me a whisper so I can link you the gear and whatnot.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

pork never goes bad posted:

What build are you running to use those gloves?

Starforge Lacerate/Viper Strike. Lacerate in a 6L, Viper in the 5. I needed to increase my Enhance to get the most bang for my buck, so that means +1 gems. Hat gets enchants, so that leaves boots or gloves. Figured I wanted good boots + enchant, which left gloves.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

TheRat posted:

That wasnt meant to be rude :(

It wasn't taken as such! It was just kinda funny. :3:

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Clapping Larry

LordNat posted:

You don't have any of those life nodes allocated in that build so the jewel does nothing.

I'm fairly sure something requiring you allocate life nodes in an ES build wouldn't be so expensive, and I thought 'allocated in radius' was a keyword, and this jewel doesn't have that, just 'in radius', unlike say

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Anatomical_Knowledge

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Energy from within converts nodes in its radius, but you still have to take those nodes before they'll do anything either way.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

xiansi posted:

I'm fairly sure something requiring you allocate life nodes in an ES build wouldn't be so expensive, and I thought 'allocated in radius' was a keyword, and this jewel doesn't have that, just 'in radius', unlike say

It's so expensive because it's still pretty good, and it's pretty rare now.

e. and you've always had to take the nodes for that jewel to do anything, it's only some of the newer threshold jewels that don't require you to actually allocate things I think.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Mr. Despair posted:

e. and you've always had to take the nodes for that jewel to do anything, it's only some of the newer threshold jewels that don't require you to actually allocate things I think.

Plus the new text is pretty explicit about it.

tldr PoBuilding is right.

Oh man imagine if lioneye's didn't require you to allocate the nodes it converted, lol

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

xiansi posted:

I'm fairly sure something requiring you allocate life nodes in an ES build wouldn't be so expensive
lol the whole point is that it turns the life into es

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry
Ok, thanks all. Game is confusing.

Saved me wasting a lot of chaos anyway. I guess it'd be something to do with points from 90+ levels.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
Can someone throw me an invite to the guild? Ingame name is Logi

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Goa Tse-tung posted:

also always just post your character name itt to join the guild

I'm Cottonwood

e: Btw beat act 4 last night is there anything I should be doing before taking the portal to the new difficulty? Got my ascendancy

myDad fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 17, 2017

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

xiansi posted:

Saved me wasting a lot of chaos anyway. I guess it'd be something to do with points from 90+ levels.

Game is not confusing at all when it comes to this; the jewel clearly says it just converts things. It does not say it gives you ES for life nodes in radius.

You could use it down by those combo es/life nodes you already have to convert the life half of them into ES.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

myDad posted:

I'm Cottonwood

e: Btw beat act 4 last night is there anything I should be doing before taking the portal to the new difficulty? Got my ascendancy

no just push to merciless

also you can (and probably should, in most cases) put off labs until later tbh

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

myDad posted:

I'm Cottonwood

Have you done the following quests:

(A1) Dweller from the Deep
(A1) The Marooned Mariner
(A1/2) The Way Forward
(A4) Breaking the Seal
(A3) A Fixture of Fate

They're all optional quests, but the first 4 give passive points and should definitely be done now; the last quest gives you access to every gem (besides the drop-only ones) but isn't quite as critical to do right this second.

Otherwise, go forth to Cruel, while it still exists.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Cool thanks, got all of em

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

xiansi posted:

I mean it converts it. They're now like 5% es nodes instead of life. It's just you still have to pick them up.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Its also real good if you have any life/es hybrid nodes

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What the hell are "ethical" builds and why does everyone mention that in their build threads?

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Elentor posted:

What the hell are "ethical" builds and why does everyone mention that in their build threads?

It's a stupid meme about not taking advantage of the most powerful mechanical interactions to break most of the game's content over your knee. (i.e, poison, and ignite)

Incidentally, it's mildly useful because many of those mechanics are being reworked with the next major update this summer and likely won't be as gamebreaking, but for now, have fun with them.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Elentor posted:

I think it's a dumb meme that means the build does not take advantage of, e.g. poison double-dipping or other mechanics that are due to be removed from the game.

e:f;b

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i was just thinking tonight how i havent found anything good in awhile and almost immediately i got an ex and this wand

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

myDad posted:

I'm Cottonwood

Highblood posted:

Can someone throw me an invite to the guild? Ingame name is Logi

Invited

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

xiansi posted:

One thing to note (which PoB reflects) is in game when that jewel is socketed somewhere the nodes it converts will show that they increase ES instead of life. So you do know its working!

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

..btt posted:

I think it's a dumb meme that means the build does not take advantage of, e.g. poison double-dipping or other mechanics that are due to be removed from the game.

e:f;b

If I am up to date on my cutting edge memes (which I'm not), it started out as people mocking projectpt for being a loving moron.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
I guess those are the types of builds I've been trying to figure out, without the epic funney terminology. On that topic, I finally scrounged up currency for a 6l +3 fire staff and tried out a scorching ray hierophant. It was...ok. Middling for packs, pretty decent for most bosses, not great for end game fights because you don't have much sustain or mobility.

The staff alone cost more than my entire RF build, which can reliably do shaper deathless, so this one is out of contention for "what do I start 3.0 with?" Starting to think nothing is going to dethrone RF for the combo of safe/cheap endgame hardcore builds. Next up is SRS.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

whypick1 posted:

Have you done the following quests:

(A1) Dweller from the Deep
(A1) The Marooned Mariner
(A1/2) The Way Forward
(A4) Breaking the Seal
(A3) A Fixture of Fate

They're all optional quests, but the first 4 give passive points and should definitely be done now; the last quest gives you access to every gem (besides the drop-only ones) but isn't quite as critical to do right this second.

Otherwise, go forth to Cruel, while it still exists.

Also, since I didn't see anyone mention it, you can move freely among difficulties and areas that you have unlocked. So once you have pushed up to Act 1 Cruel, you can still revisit Act 1-4 Normal. You aren't obligated to immediately finish all the skill point quests, and can come back to finish them if you forget.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010
Could use some goon advice, if you guys don't mind.

Been playing my HOWA character and the damage and build is strong. However I do not think this is the build for me. Clearing maps takes me a bit and it seems I should be clearing them faster. Not sure if it is because I am running any t6-10 map I pick up (instead of running one over and over) or I just am not skilled enough for this kind of build. I die a lot compared to other HOWA videos on YouTube.

I enjoyed the cyclone build I did at the start of the league, but it did not do enough damage to get very far. Low life RF seems like a fun build, but super super expensive.

What build is similar to cyclone, or another cyclone build, that will dish out some good dps for end game content? Is normal RF a viable build? I will keep playing the HOWA (most invested build I have done), but looking for other options.

Thank you in advance for tips and help.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
A good life-based rf build will clear maps about as fast as you can run through them, but it doesn't have the juice to instantly kill end-game bosses. I kinda like boss fights not ending instantly because a lot of them are fun but some people seem to think a build isn't working unless you instantly wipe whatever you're aiming at. This is a build guide I put together a while back, and there are some videos at the end with pack clearing vs boss fighting.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Fixit posted:

Could use some goon advice, if you guys don't mind.

Been playing my HOWA character and the damage and build is strong. However I do not think this is the build for me. Clearing maps takes me a bit and it seems I should be clearing them faster. Not sure if it is because I am running any t6-10 map I pick up (instead of running one over and over) or I just am not skilled enough for this kind of build. I die a lot compared to other HOWA videos on YouTube.

I enjoyed the cyclone build I did at the start of the league, but it did not do enough damage to get very far. Low life RF seems like a fun build, but super super expensive.

What build is similar to cyclone, or another cyclone build, that will dish out some good dps for end game content? Is normal RF a viable build? I will keep playing the HOWA (most invested build I have done), but looking for other options.

Thank you in advance for tips and help.

Link your character

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

YoungSexualNorton posted:

A good life-based rf build will clear maps about as fast as you can run through them, but it doesn't have the juice to instantly kill end-game bosses. I kinda like boss fights not ending instantly because a lot of them are fun but some people seem to think a build isn't working unless you instantly wipe whatever you're aiming at. This is a build guide I put together a while back, and there are some videos at the end with pack clearing vs boss fighting.

I mean thats the logical extension of everything the game throws at you, becoming efficient and machine at murdering everything and anything in your way as quickly as possible. Its not surprising that builds that do that become popular.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

interrodactyl posted:

Link your character

The two characters are Rheinheart and KimberlyHeart

YoungSexualNorton posted:

That looks nice. Does every life build for RF revolve around Kaom's Heart?

Fixit fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 17, 2017

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Fixit posted:

That looks nice. Does every life build for RF revolve around Kaom's Heart?

kaom's heart isn't necessary in the sense that it's not 100% required for the build to work like the +max resist items and nodes are, but it will nearly double your damage and survivability by itself.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
How should I be valuing Leaguestones? Are any worth a drat when white? I tried searching poe.trade but idiots have continually put them up for 10c each when there's also others of the same kind at 1 alc or less

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I'm running an attempt at a LL RF scorching ray/cast when channelling vortex ignite build. Mostly I'm clearing maps with my 5k ES RF and then doing only a little more damage vs bosses because I haven't been able to spare the points for more ignite chance or the gear for shitloads of spell damage.

I'm still plenty off getting a shav's though sadly.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
Just got booted to login screen, and now it just times out at login. Anyone else get dropped as well?

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004

Cerepol posted:

I mean thats the logical extension of everything the game throws at you, becoming efficient and machine at murdering everything and anything in your way as quickly as possible. Its not surprising that builds that do that become popular.

Yeah, I get that. I don't have much of a moral issue with high dps itself. The downside is that most of the builds that get enough to melt end game content are based around a pretty small set of mechanics like double dipping, poison, low life, CI. The result is a lot people chasing similar items and builds league after league which is boring.

I'm not completely off base there since two of the major changes in 3.0 are nerfing double dipping and toning down ES as a single source of defense. Hopefully that'll make it near impossible to insta-kill bosses, so we'll see more build diversity with well rounded builds instead of a bunch of glass cannon poison/bleed/ignite clones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Valle posted:

Just got booted to login screen, and now it just times out at login. Anyone else get dropped as well?

Yeah, I got dropped.

• Locked thread