Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Calaveron posted:

I found the area where you first fight Adam and I must've fought a hundred robots in there and is there an end to them or is it just a spot for grinding?

The latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Calaveron posted:

I found the area where you first fight Adam and I must've fought a hundred robots in there and is there an end to them or is it just a spot for grinding?

love
love
love

baby

this cannot continue

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

until you gently caress up and get blown to oblivion by a soup can

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

McDragon posted:

until you gently caress up and get blown to oblivion by a soup can

The screaming kamikaze robots went from funny to actually kinda disturbing to super annoying super fast

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Calaveron posted:

The screaming kamikaze robots went from funny to actually kinda disturbing to super annoying super fast

Model port (from either game to either game, really) when

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Found that second save point in the factory I was asking about, guess I'm nearing the end of route A?

Was disappointed I didn't get anything special for killing all of the machine cultists before getting in the elevator.

I missed being able to do the Emil stuff this time round so 9s is gonna have to do it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

NonzeroCircle posted:

Found that second save point in the factory I was asking about, guess I'm nearing the end of route A?

Was disappointed I didn't get anything special for killing all of the machine cultists before getting in the elevator.

I missed being able to do the Emil stuff this time round so 9s is gonna have to do it.

you get an ending for killing a cultist right when you first enter the factory

Also work Email you can't fight him unless you're 9s anyways

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
I liked 9S' gameplay about as much as 2B's. Maybe slightly more. Switching between normal combat and hacking on the fly made for really nice variety - I felt like 2B's gameplay was starting to get stale by the end of Route A.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
the dreaded work Email

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

verbal enema posted:

the dreaded work Email

My evenings are filled with Email (Despair).

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not reading the thread since I'm not done with the game yet and am super wary of spoilers. Already got a few big ones by googling what I thought were innocuous things in relation to quests. In The Dark Id's LP of the game he mentions that there is only 1 permanently missable ending in the game. Without spoiling anything, is there any way you can tell me when this is?

I just started route C for reference.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Chuu posted:

Not reading the thread since I'm not done with the game yet and am super wary of spoilers. Already got a few big ones by googling what I thought were innocuous things in relation to quests. In The Dark Id's LP of the game he mentions that there is only 1 permanently missable ending in the game. Without spoiling anything, is there any way you can tell me when this is?

You have to have upgraded all weapons in the game to level 4 to activate the event that can give you that ending.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Chuu posted:

Requires all weapons to be fully upgraded; let a timer run out. You won't be missing it by accident.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Calaveron posted:

Pretty much every previously-a-boss area turns into an infinite spawnfest for farming.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

One of the things that's been percolating in my head since finishing the game is how loving weird the concept of robot children are. Familial bonds make sense to me, even a parent-child relationship, but are those kid robots ever going to grow up or are they stuck in developmental stasis like the forest king was? Even more disturbing is that they mentioned putting the old king's memories into the baby king, so does that mean their king's mind was trapped in an immobile cocoon for literal centuries until A2 put him out of his misery? Or was it just a robot form of Syndrome X?

Basically I'm torn between thinking kid robots are very cute and good and thinking they are a kind of primordial wrongness.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Pretty much every previously-a-boss area turns into an infinite spawnfest for farming.

So am I not getting Romeos and Juliets?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Calaveron posted:

So am I not getting Romeos and Juliets?

That place is an exception because it's actually used in a quest later on

Actually now that I think about it the only two confirmed spots for "infinite mobs" is Adam's sand hole and the Copied City, I'd have to check the one other accessible-afterwards boss area that springs to mind to see if it's filled with mobs or not

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
How playable is Drakengard 3 compared to (the original) Nier? If it's roughly comparable to Nier I might check it out. Or should I just read the let's play of it instead?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Cephas posted:

How playable is Drakengard 3 compared to (the original) Nier? If it's roughly comparable to Nier I might check it out. Or should I just read the let's play of it instead?

Unless D3's combat system is something that looks really, really, really entertaining, I'd read the LP. A major reason for the above "already have X by the 12th update" is because TDI cuts, entirely, most of the sidequest weapon grinding because the "sidequests" are just "replay this story chapter with endlessly identical enemy grinding". lol crossed threads whoops

And then later story chapters end up being the exact same "go through this area you went through already but in reverse" deals anyways. I think the lowest reuse of an area is 2 times, and one or two of them hit 5?

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 17, 2017

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Cephas posted:

D3 is a dumpster fire.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
D3 is the the worst game I really like. I can usually get by on pretty basic hack n slash so the game never really bored me but I also can't really justify it to anyone. It's simplistic and repetitive and despite looking like, at best, a launch PS3 game, it runs so badly that it becomes unplayable at parts. Still, I really enjoyed my time with it and even got 100% of trophies (including the dlc).

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

There's no two ways about it, D3 is a mess. As much as I like Taro's games, everyone in it is pretty much one-note (or One-note :haw:) - Zero is eternally pissed off and horny, Decadus never stops making suggestive noises at the thought of being violated, Octus always talks about wanting to gently caress everything, etc. They're entertaining, but coming from Nier, it feels like a real step back. And that's before you get to the technical problems (of which there are many) and the gameplay (which has barely evolved from the first game).

It does have its good points - the soundtrack is great, especially the boss themes, and most of the voice acting is solid as well. The dialogue still managed to make me laugh and there's still some great moments in the story, especially the DLC (which will cost you about as much as the game again for some idiotic reason).

I can't recommend it fully unless you're already a big Taro Yoko fan. You could just download the OST, watch a playthrough and you'd probably enjoy it more than those of us who've struggled through it. It's repetitive, barely playable when there's lots of action going on (we're talking 'single digit FPS at times) and grinding for money to get all the weapons to unlock all the endings is arguably as soul-crushing as any of the endings in Nier. It has some fun moments, but you have to suffer to get to see them.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I'll make sure not to let The Dark Id's suffering go to waste and just read the LP then, thanks. (Why isn't there an Emil smilie?)

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Drakengard 3 has a great story*

*If you buy all the DLC and read all the side stories that aren't included in the actual game

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
While the characters in D3 are arch-typey, I think that mostly works for what the game is going for and as the Grindhouse facade fades, the game does a good job filling in the characters or at least playing off their awfulness. Also Mikhail is pretty much the best character ever.

I will say that say that complaining about the grinding seems odd because I never remember any of it being a big deal and it certainly was nothing compared to waiting for rare drops in Nier.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Dias posted:

Requires all weapons to be fully upgraded; let a timer run out. You won't be missing it by accident.
I just did this today and the dialogue during it all got me all hosed up. :(

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
So.

I've finished ABC and started the game again. Would it be worth to play through the game again? I bought all the things from that lady and I have 2 hidden trophies left.

What now?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

If I remember right from IDs lp of it, the dlcs drop so much money as to make grinding for weapons significantly easier if it doesn't completely eliminate it altogether. So if you get those and play through them, you likely won't need to grind.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Monolith. posted:

So.

I've finished ABC and started the game again. Would it be worth to play through the game again? I bought all the things from that lady and I have 2 hidden trophies left.

What now?

You're not done yet. You should try getting the other ending you're missing first.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Monolith. posted:

So.

What now?

You can finish whatever sidequests you've gotten. The thing you unlocked means that whenever you wanna go for full completion you don't need to replay all of the game. You'll know what choice to select. Despite how it look you won't miss a thing if you decide to grab stuff before finishing Ending E.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

really queer Christmas posted:

If I remember right from IDs lp of it, the dlcs drop so much money as to make grinding for weapons significantly easier if it doesn't completely eliminate it altogether. So if you get those and play through them, you likely won't need to grind.

Oh, that's probably why I don't remember much, if any, grinding then.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there any way to tell which quest is a main quest or actually track it on the minimap so don't have to pop in and out of the map all of the time?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

veni veni veni posted:

Is there any way to tell which quest is a main quest or actually track it on the minimap so don't have to pop in and out of the map all of the time?

Main quest is pretty much always the 4-diamonds-shaped blip. If you're hovering over a blip on your map you can hit the confirm button to plop a marker on it and then it'll have that marker on your minimap to separate it from the rest.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Word. Thanks

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So I'm on the second playthrough as 9S and I have like 15 machine cores. Am I going to need them for anything, or can I just sell them?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Momomo posted:

So I'm on the second playthrough as 9S and I have like 15 machine cores. Am I going to need them for anything, or can I just sell them?

The later you are into the game, the more money they sell for. They're just for money.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The only things described as only being used to sell you need for anything besides selling is one moose meat and one boar meat.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I pretty much never sold anything ever for fear it'd turn out to be a rare upgrade material. Only now that I've moved on to post-game sidequest and trophy clean-up have I really started to offload all my vendor trash.

Similarly, when starting off Route C, I deliberately avoided using the transport terminals for anything other than saving, since I was convinced teleporting would have negative repercusions now that the bunker was gone. Yoko Taro got into my head real good with that one.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Bad Seafood posted:

I pretty much never sold anything ever for fear it'd turn out to be a rare upgrade material. Only now that I've moved on to post-game sidequest and trophy clean-up have I really started to offload all my vendor trash.

Similarly, when starting off Route C, I deliberately avoided using the transport terminals for anything other than saving, since I was convinced teleporting would have negative repercusions now that the bunker was gone. Yoko Taro got into my head real good with that one.

I did the same. I was so sure the "these can be sold" description was just a red herring and the items would have uses later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

endolithic posted:

One of the things that's been percolating in my head since finishing the game is how loving weird the concept of robot children are. Familial bonds make sense to me, even a parent-child relationship, but are those kid robots ever going to grow up or are they stuck in developmental stasis like the forest king was? Even more disturbing is that they mentioned putting the old king's memories into the baby king, so does that mean their king's mind was trapped in an immobile cocoon for literal centuries until A2 put him out of his misery? Or was it just a robot form of Syndrome X?

Basically I'm torn between thinking kid robots are very cute and good and thinking they are a kind of primordial wrongness.

Eh, they don't go into it but I think they just stay the same age forever since they're copying humans after all. The baby forest king would have its original leftover memories but in reality, not much is leftover if you read the Archives.

I suggest doing the side quests if you want to learn more about the world and have patience.