Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

chutche2 posted:

What kind of shading and highlighting do you do with your gold?

I'm wanting to do my artificer armored guys with gold trim instead of the usual silver, but my golds usually end up a little dull and dark. I use the P3 line of metallics.

The new line of Citadel metallics is pretty good, and I say this as an established hater of Citadel paints. I use Retributor Armour for most of my gold work. Usually shaded with either Agrax Earthshade Gloss or Reikland Fleshshade Gloss, and highlighted with a silver.

Vallejo also has a new line of metallics that is fantastic. I haven't tried the gold yet, but all of the silvers are too notch. Could be worth giving their gold a try.

http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/m/en_US/metal-color/family/33

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Broken Record Talk posted:

The new line of Citadel metallics is pretty good, and I say this as an established hater of Citadel paints. I use Retributor Armour for most of my gold work. Usually shaded with either Agrax Earthshade Gloss or Reikland Fleshshade Gloss, and highlighted with a silver.

Vallejo also has a new line of metallics that is fantastic. I haven't tried the gold yet, but all of the silvers are too notch. Could be worth giving their gold a try.

Yeah, I remember really disliking the old citadel metallics. Never tried Vallejo, I think one of the game stores in town stocks it in limited quantities.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I like Vallejo a lot because I think their droppers are a lot easier to work with, but I have a lot of problems with their metallics separating in the bottles.

It's neat that all paint lines are kinda lovely in their own way. I've never tried the Badger paints or Reaper though, how are those?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Yeah I really like the P3 paints. They flow really well and don't need much thinning. But their bottles suck, and the range is pretty limited compared to citadel. P3 has 55 paints, 9 metallics, 2 washes, and a couple of inks. Red, Blue, Yellow, Green, brown, maybe one or two others. That's nothing compared to Citadel.

P3 inks are fantastic though. Citadel washes are better than the tiny selection of P3 washes (Black, and a lovely flesh tone that makes my models look like they have a spray tan), but the P3 inks are so good for glazing. I've been doing my marine eyes by painting them red and orange, putting a dot of white in the corner, then glazing with P3 red ink. The glaze does an awesome job at tinting the white red while still having it show through. They also have a really nice mixing medium that doubles as glue for flocking. The studio painters mentioned that they use it for that, so I tried it and it's a lot easier to brush on than white glue is and dries faster.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 17, 2017

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I have a few pots of P3 yellows/browns and they're great but the pots themselves fall apart super quick.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

panascope posted:

I have a few pots of P3 yellows/browns and they're great but the pots themselves fall apart super quick.

A lot of mine have had the lid's hinge break

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

chutche2 posted:

A lot of mine have had the lid's hinge break

Yep mine did the same thing on the first use. I hate airbrushing P3 too.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Strange thing, seeing notable Skullaplooza winner panascope posting before his probation is over

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
This photo was taken during a game that killed everything but two dedicated transports and this Xiphon. The Xiphon is about to kill my knight as well as friendly Sigismund. Well played 700 point rocket.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Broken Record Talk posted:

Keep in mind the MC gold has a very odd pale, green tint to it. Definitely not what you might expect.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

If you squint you can see his cupola.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I'm the missing nipple horns

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Lord Twisted posted:

I actually like it

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Lord Twisted posted:

Holy poo poo I love it.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

Strange thing, seeing notable Skullaplooza winner panascope posting before his probation is over

The chosen of Chaos receive many boons.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

panascope posted:

It's neat that all paint lines are kinda lovely in their own way. I've never tried the Badger paints or Reaper though, how are those?
Kinda lovely in their own way :v:
Badger's paints help you do really neat stuff with airbrushing (glazing tricks and the like) but can refuse to play with some paints and get tacky.
Reaper is awesome, smooth, great coverage, but likes to dry for quite some time, so if you wash them too soon they can reactivate even though they seem completely dry.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

There better be a nipple horn option

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
Green Stuff means never going without nipple horns.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

What do people recommend for airbrush metallics? P3?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Lord Twisted posted:

What do people recommend for airbrush metallics? P3?

gently caress no.

Vallejo Metal Colour -> Valejo Air Metallic -> Scale 75 / Citadel (the fancy new ones, Retributor, Stormhost, etc. only)

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Mango Polo posted:

gently caress no.

Vallejo Metal Colour -> Valejo Air Metallic -> Scale 75 / Citadel (the fancy new ones, Retributor, Stormhost, etc. only)

Seconding this.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Sicaran Venator is done with assembly. This resin is heavy as poo poo.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Does metal colour need thinning?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Lord Twisted posted:

Does metal colour need thinning?

It's thinner than anything else vallejo do. It's like an alcohol paint.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hey everyone check it out:

panascope posted:

The chosen of Chaos receive many boons.

Notable cheater panascope also cheats his way out of a ban / 30 day probation. Should automatically get perma baned imo

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

Hey everyone check it out:

Notable cheater panascope also cheats his way out of a ban / 30 day probation. Should automatically get perma baned imo

I hope a reversal of fortune gets you banned instead. :vd:

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Great I'll invest for my custards

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I was looking at Taghmata and the Tech-thralls really, really caught my eye. I would absolutely love to swarm robo-zombie troops with heavy chain-blades.

Is there a consensus on how to get the most out of them? A few max units The FNP and Hatred upgrade sounds rad and fluff-appropriate, but maybe that's because I'm bad at 30k.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Mango Polo posted:

gently caress no.

Yeah, this. The Vallejo Metal Colour stuff is очень хорошо. You don't need to thin it or anything. It's drat near metallic water.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Having accidentally toxxed myself, I have begun on my LoW

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

moths posted:

I was looking at Taghmata and the Tech-thralls really, really caught my eye. I would absolutely love to swarm robo-zombie troops with heavy chain-blades.

Is there a consensus on how to get the most out of them? A few max units The FNP and Hatred upgrade sounds rad and fluff-appropriate, but maybe that's because I'm bad at 30k.

Laslocks, max squad, and fearless are basically the go-to build. Giving them better armour is also a good option since they get saves against bolters.

If you have the points, giving them heavy chainblades is nice because they can wound marines on a 2+ making them a humorously lethal tarpit. Giving them hatred and FNP5+ is gravy, but it starts to make them cost as much as a tactical squad and the S+P makes them super slow.

They are a good unit, but you gotta use them right- bubble wrap (classic), spammed in transports (panzer thralls), or marching up the table with all the buffs (flesh smith army)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Thanks, that's some good stuff to think about!

I'm leaning towards chainblades since my meta is all-marines all the time, plus I feel like that's going to enable some fun conversations. Revenant, fearless, and transports seem like it would overcome S&P... but then I see what you're saying about the cost.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Thrall horde is one of the armies I really want to do. Post lots of pictures. Let me live through you.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Haha, I absolutely will. I should warn you it's going to be the heavily converted mess I've wanted to make since I was a little kid in Rouge Trader days, though.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Thats what admech and militia lists are all about.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

what the gently caress is a cupola

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

ijyt posted:

The cupola was inside you all along

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
Cupola? I barely know her!

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

ijyt posted:

You're in luck. We have a cupola expert in this very thread.