Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jimmy Hats posted:

Blood OTK plays favourably against both shadow aggro and dragon ramp y'all should play Blood OTK

Lol, ahahahaha, tell me more about A0 and the deck that puts itself to 10 hp against shadow (and spends 5 mana on a lovely follower now to discount one later). Shadow *demolishes* blood OTK. And storm dragon annihilates it, it's like 75-25 for both.

Page 100 snypa gently caress yeah!

trucutru fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Atm, it's just tons of shadow and dragon. Both need a tap down, but I dunno what I would do to nerf them. Also any comments on the decklist, trucutru? You're the other shadow expert here.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

trucutru posted:

Lol, ahahahaha, tell me more about A0 and the deck that puts itself to 10 hp against shadow. Shadow *demolishes* blood OTK. And storm dragon annihilates it, it's like 75-25 for both.

Page 100 snypa gently caress yeah!

I'm in A1, I got there by doing several 10+ streaks with this exact deck, in ToTGs. Getting below 10 just means I'm healing for 6 on turn 5.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I don't think enhance ended up being a good or healthy mechanic for the game, when you have something that is able to be ultra consistent and flexible there should be some sort of tradeoff to it but they saw to it that there weren't any

The game was trending dangerously to overfavoring storm cards and they decided to make it even easier to storm

I was highly against a card like Garuda, a card that did everything and still left a body. They saw the outrage over Daria and then they printed Eachtar and Sibyl

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jimmy Hats posted:

I'm in A1, I got there by doing several 10+ streaks with this exact deck, in ToTGs. Getting below 10 just means I'm healing for 6 on turn 5.

Dude, shadow does 11 damage in turn 6. You dead. And if you were at 4 hp in turn 5 then you are super-dead because whatever is healing your for 6 at that time is not going to clear the army of minions that dealt 16 damage to you.

Yukari posted:

Atm, it's just tons of shadow and dragon. Both need a tap down, but I dunno what I would do to nerf them. Also any comments on the decklist, trucutru? You're the other shadow expert here.

I would start (as in yesterday!) with having catacomb not put a skeleton inside himself. For dragon I would make zell a 1/2. Those are not huge hits and should shave a little bit of win percentage and let you see if that's enough.

As for your deck, it's good (similar to this one: https://shadowverse.gamepress.gg/deck/866/shadowverse-challenge-10-2nd-place-coqhmmrh-midrange-shadowcraft) but I would replace the skeleton fighters with gobbos because there are lots of shadow mirrors. The skeletons are great if you have lots of 1-drops but I hate playing them on turn one, and since you only have 5 one drops that's gonna happen a lot. I get that you're trying to have a really strong midgame which is great but, in the mirror, their 1/2 drop will kill your skelly for free and then you'll have one less body for catacomb.

Keep an eye on Thane and see if he's actually doing work, otherwise replace him with whatever you think is missing. That deck is pretty solid and the cat is fun.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I don't think enhance ended up being a good or healthy mechanic for the game, when you have something that is able to be ultra consistent and flexible there should be some sort of tradeoff to it but they saw to it that there weren't any

The game was trending dangerously to overfavoring storm cards and they decided to make it even easier to storm

I was highly against a card like Garuda, a card that did everything and still left a body. They saw the outrage over Daria and then they printed Eachtar and Sibyl

Like blood has to design a deck specifically for the snakes (with are decent) and here comes one-man-army Eachtar to tell them how's it done. Sibyl just does a lot of things at the same time and doesn't even have a stat penalty, they were clearly overcompensating with her. She's this game's Drakonid-OP.

e: And yeah, some of the flexible cards (enhance-style or zell-style) are just too good not to put 3 copies of them in your deck.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 17, 2017

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

The other thing I'd do for Zell is to make him a 3/3 on evo, since he gives an amazing effect. He doesn't need full evo body as well. Sibyl needs to also not have a giant body for a 5 drop. She straight up passes the vanilla test along with having TWO strong effects.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
And while I am shitposting here are the latest stats for *storm* dragon in masters:

Note that most people who play dragon are playing the pure ramp version, which is about five times as popular as the storm one. (thank god for that!). BTW, the only deck that can beat this crap is aggro shadow (that in turn gets wrecked by I-hate-luna haven), which is why lots of people play the pure aggro version. Otherwise the overall superior midrange shadow would be all you would see. Mid-shadow the following stats in masters:

Look at those numbers! Even if you account for the stats not being the official ones those are pretty big loving numbers.

Poor Isabelle (she deserves it).

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

I see people mention storm dragon vs ramp dragon. What's the difference? Run genesis dragon and Forte as finishers instead of the neutral cure package?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
So uh, isn't Durandal supposed to be a commander? It doesn't seem to activate commander abilities (EG Tristan of the Round Table's last words).

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Yukari posted:

I see people mention storm dragon vs ramp dragon. What's the difference? Run genesis dragon and Forte as finishers instead of the neutral cure package?

They are very similar but but regular ramp tries to stabilize as well as it can after being punched in the early game and it runs a heavier curve than storm ramp, which is a bit more proactive. In the JP lists (the US ones use both terms almost interchangeably) the main give away is what you guessed: storm runs blazing breaths and genesis, and ramp runs Lucifers. Yes, they are that similar. And yes, the win rates are quite different.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Also the fact that you can even draft Heavly Aegis in arena is retarded.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Cuntellectual posted:

Also the fact that you can even draft Heavly Aegis in arena is retarded.

Replace Heavenly Aegis with Ouroboros, and I agree with you.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Yukari posted:

Replace Heavenly Aegis with Ouroboros, and I agree with you.

Ouroboros is bad but at least you can banish it, in theory.

I don't think you can banish Heavenly Aegis. Bane doesn't work on it, at any rate.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 17, 2017

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Cuntellectual posted:

Ouroboros is bad but at least you can banish it, in theory.

I don't think you can banish Heavenly Aegis. Bane doesn't work on it, at any rate.

You can banish it, but there's like... exactly 2 good ways to banish it, and it tends to just destroy any sort of board position and gives you life back over and over.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Funny story: As I was typing up a response, someone played an Ouroboros the turn after I used my last banish. :v:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

trucutru posted:

Dude, shadow does 11 damage in turn 6. You dead. And if you were at 4 hp in turn 5 then you are super-dead because whatever is healing your for 6 at that time is not going to clear the army of minions that dealt 16 damage to you.

Righteous Devil + Diabolical Drain will take out his two biggest things while healing you from 10 to 16, and you're assuming some sort of space fantasy scenario where I've never taken out any of his things ever but w/e

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jimmy Hats posted:

Righteous Devil + Diabolical Drain will take out his two biggest things while healing you from 10 to 16, and you're assuming some sort of space fantasy scenario where I've never taken out any of his things ever but w/e

Ah, you're playing against dumbass shadow players that actively put a vengance blood build into 10. Got it. But anyways, the proof is in the pudding, if OTK blood was good against both shadow and dragon then we wouldn't have the current meta. Instead OTK blood is the least popular of the blood decks.

And, btw, it is a good deck that beats lots of stuff and is fun to play. But :cmon:

trucutru fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 17, 2017

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I play blood moon turn 3 if they aren't pressuring me but I would also argue that every aggro shadow player is dumb

E: It is also the best deck because it is my deck

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Ariet is rad as heck in mid-range Haven. Turn 7 I can swing for 10 easy by having a turn 5 regal falcon count in, evolve it, and swing twice. If i get a holy dragon to stick for a turn you're taking 16!

E: I've been running this with more success than I would have thought

https://tinyurl.com/mgehvud

The Duchess Smackarse fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 18, 2017

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Lol, reddit has finally realized Aegis is not actually busted and has turned its attention towards shadow. Took them a while.

I am now expecting Eachtar, Catacomb, Orthrus, and even Cerberus bitching threads every day.

BTW, I have switched decks to ledger Neph. It's actually way better than original Neph and opponents have no idea what to expect so I'm getting some wins I shouldn't. It's obviously not as good as the usual suspects but it's pretty drat fun to have big boards at the mid-point of the game (if only you had some initiative with your summoned stuff it would be a great deck).

Anyways, the whole idea is to have defensive neutral minions for turn 2-3, then drop a ledger on four to pull your lich-generators and apply pressure for two turns and then you transition into the typical 6-7-8 neph power moves, plus zombie party. Only issue is that it's a 2-3-4-7-8 deck so Neph can whiff.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

trucutru posted:

Lol, reddit has finally realized Aegis is not actually busted

In constructed I agree, but it's pretty dumb in arena.

Frankly this expansion has marked the point where I don't really enjoy playing arena anymore.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
What tools are available to deal with it in Constructed that aren't in Arena?

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Consistent decks that just kill them before they get to play Aegis. Most of the time, how you beat Aegis is not letting them play Aegis. Ouro is another rather large offender in that regard where the slower pace of the game means that he's more likely to provide infinite value once you get to actually casting him.

Yukari fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 19, 2017

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Cuntellectual posted:

In constructed I agree, but it's pretty dumb in arena.

Frankly this expansion has marked the point where I don't really enjoy playing arena anymore.

consider that arena actually owns if you consistently draft more ridiculous legendaries than your opponent

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

It's completely up to the whimsical hand of fate if you'll have anything that can deal with it or the ability to win before it's played?

Wangsbig posted:

consider that arena actually owns if you consistently draft more ridiculous legendaries than your opponent

Don't get me wrong, getting 2x Orthus, 2x Prince Catacomb, 3x Underworld Watcher and Eachther is great when you're on the side playing it!

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Frog is a hilarious deck. Using Cyclone Blade on a 6/X frog is amazing. Getting hit by Orthrus before you can evolve Frog or by any of the Haven untargeted destruction is not.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Cuntellectual posted:

It's completely up to the whimsical hand of fate if you'll have anything that can deal with it or the ability to win before it's played?

Um... yes? Luck is part of constructed too, and it's not like there's some magic bullet that can deal with a follower you can't affect at all that you must attack instead of the leader and they are under no such restriction

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Um... yes? Luck is part of constructed too, and it's not like there's some magic bullet that can deal with a follower you can't affect at all that you must attack instead of the leader and they are under no such restriction

Well, you can always just kill test of strength if you happen to have amulet removal, which usually translates to you having lightning blast, petrification, or something of that nature. Or use Kaguya if you have her. The thing is, in constructed, you choose to put these cards in your deck if you're expecting a rough time with test of strength + aegis. In arena, you have to hope that you see those cards, and that they decided to draft aegis + test of strength.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
In all honesty Aegis is a really badly designed card on general

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ok

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
lol, got the win 6 ranked matches quest so I went into try-hard mode and all the matches, including one I lost, were against shadow decks. In their defense, there was a guy playing ledger. (e: I forgot! there was also an atomeme deck!)

My replay playlist looks quite nifty with all that purple in there.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 21, 2017

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I think I just won a match because my opponent had never seen Deepwood Anomaly's kill animation before and thus didn't suicide the Goblin Princess into it to get the Goblin King to ward.

My forestcraft deck has no good cards.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
New to this game and went up against a beginner ranked (I'm rank 0) who dropped two Aegis which caused me to come here looking for what the heck you do about it. I was playing a bloodcraft deck and I tried all sorts of cards on it to no avail. Based on the description I thought I could damage it with spells that say remove 2 defense or somesuch and then I tried banishing it and nada.

What the heck do you do against it other than the hurf durf don't let the game go that far option?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the way you deal with aegis is pressure enough so they dont have a free turn to drop it.

if they play it and you are nowhere near killing them you are probably screwed unless you are playing haven with kaguya or something.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

dealing damage is not the same as changing a cards defense btw (look at like pegasus knight for an example of actually changing defense) and if you read the card it should have been obvious any banishes wouldnt work.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON

Awesome! posted:

dealing damage is not the same as changing a cards defense btw (look at like pegasus knight for an example of actually changing defense) and if you read the card it should have been obvious any banishes wouldnt work.

Ignoring the obnoxious tone of your post, I'm kind of surprised that is the only method of removing one or dealing with it which means most decks cannot?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
That's kind of the point of Aegis. It exists as a "if your deck is slower than this it's too slow" barrier. Most of the slow control decks have faster win conditions than Aegis.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

SoggyGravy posted:

New to this game and went up against a beginner ranked (I'm rank 0) who dropped two Aegis which caused me to come here looking for what the heck you do about it. I was playing a bloodcraft deck and I tried all sorts of cards on it to no avail. Based on the description I thought I could damage it with spells that say remove 2 defense or somesuch and then I tried banishing it and nada.

What the heck do you do against it other than the hurf durf don't let the game go that far option?

You almost certainly went against some turdlord who made a new account to crap on beginners and jerk himself off, there's no way your deck is going to be dialed in enough when you're just starting out to deal with that. Shrug and keep playing other opponents!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I dunno, 2-3 copies of a legendary aren't that unusual starting out. Happens plenty with Albert or Cerberus. Aegis just happens to be new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yeah, i had 3 tias from my initial reroll

• Locked thread