Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Field Mousepad posted:

Twice the money and half the work. Foh fo life son!

Hope all you FoH chuckleheads have a great time seating people and offering wine choices and all, because there won't be any food to serve...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Samizdata posted:

Hope all you FoH chuckleheads have a great time seating people and offering wine choices and all, because there won't be any food to serve...

Half the time I work there's no food to serve anyways because I work with 70% drooling mongoloids.

The competent 30% make life sweet though.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Samizdata posted:

The BOH is literally the weakest link at where I work so this is certainly a thing.

Like it's to the point where if the BOH fucks up and doesn't give a poo poo, I'd rather they go out and explain to the customer rather than me go out and look like an incompetent rear end in a top hat.

hrolfr
Aug 9, 2006
Do you think it comes in, like... cherry-gina?
I'm in an odd position to negotiate the breakdown of tips for Easter brunch (buffet) at a hotel. We have 420 reservations so far and are using equal amounts of restaurant and event staff.

Last year servers got 95%, bar 1%, and SAs 4%.

This year bar and SA will get 8%, and my expo/food runner tip is still TBD. Also lame Easter doesn't fall on a bank holiday, meaning no time-and-a-half.

Does anyone have experience with this scenario?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Without knowing how many people you have on board, and how busy they'll actually be, that's a hard call to make. Buffet at a hotel makes it sound like bar will be dead, but I could be way off base. Similarly, are event staff paid a different amount than restaurant staff (i.e. are they paid a catering wage)? That also changes things. Hell, even knowing you have 420 covers, that doesn't tell me enough - how many hours will you be operating? Buffet is AYCE, but does it include drinks as well that the bar is responsible - even bottomless mimosas or something?

My gut instinct is to say that event staff can take a small portion of tips, if anything, but that's assuming they're getting paid a real hourly. If I'm wrong about that assumption, then discount this. That said, their before/after duties should also be restricted to what they'd be expected to do before/after a catering shift. No rolling silverware, no setting up caddies, keep their jobs the same. Yeah, it sucks for them this time, but every time they go out and earn $XX/hr just for being there makes up for the shifts that a server walks home with $22 because it was a Tuesday and nobody came in.

Bar is tricky. If you can trust your floor staff to tip out the bar appropriately, my gut instinct is to say tip the bar out low, and make it clear that you want that kept in house. I've seen places go both ways, though, where it has to be firm, but also where it's never even a question. This also goes back to just how much the bar is responsible for - if the bar makes every soda, every coffee, etc. then it should be higher. If the bar just deals in alcohol, then it can easily be lower.

SAs are the same - are they assigned to a specific section/server, or are we talking food runners than work the whole floor? If the former, let it be personal. If the latter, a flat tip share.

Either way, more information is needed to give you a good answer.

hrolfr
Aug 9, 2006
Do you think it comes in, like... cherry-gina?

Shooting Blanks posted:

more information is needed to give you a good answer.
Easter brunch is 11 am - 2 pm

We set the buffet in the lounge area of the restaurant, and guest tables are in both the restaurant and ballroom. The restaurant averages 80-150 covers/night. So 400+ is a special time.

Servers pour water when guests sit, ring in drink orders at the bar, deliver drinks, and handle the bill
Bartenders supply bottomless mimosas & bloody marys, etc
SAs polish, clear and reset tables
Attendants do everything else

Event Staff - all paid a lower hourly for Brunch
6 SAs
2 Bar
1 Server
2 "Buffet Attendants"
1 Supervisor?

Restaurant Staff
7 Servers
2 Bartenders

Updated Tip Distribution
8% Bar
8% SA
8% Attendant
76% Server

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

part of me wonders if when applicants answer "yes" to "can you work saturday morning?" they think they're just making polite conversation

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Trebuchet King posted:

part of me wonders if when applicants answer "yes" to "can you work saturday morning?" they think they're just making polite conversation

They assume, sometimes rightly, that if they say no, they wouldn't get the job.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

the other FOH staff were loving shocking last night, we ran out of some ingredients because it was so busy and I was snowed under in the bar AND YET I was still somehow dealing with their gently caress-ups and having to get people to run back to the table to get the order revised. It's so loving unprofessional. Thankfully we had the good people on in the kitchen so we managed to somehow survive.

Also I was running out of a few key items in the bar last night and it was really ?????? because we should be checking stock and getting things ordered but I guess I'm the only one who does this?

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Whose ready for some Easter service tomorrow !

:suicide:

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

virinvictus posted:

They assume, sometimes rightly, that if they say no, they wouldn't get the job.

but saying yes and then not doing it is not going to keep you the job?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Man and his dog posted:

Ain't nobody ordering Easter pizza. :smugdog:
I'm just loving with ya.

I'm still at the hospital. It's the weekend, so it shouldn't be bad. Which is weird because you'd think people would be visiting over the weekend. But also, assuming people go during the week to get out of work for a legit reason.

Two more months and I've got vacation coming up. I've accrued about 3-4 weeks of PLT.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Trebuchet King posted:

I've seen people bite their tongue until probation is over, getting shifts covered until that point.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I am! :nutshot:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Gonna have mimosas and eggs benny at brunch then go in for a slow night like every year. Hell yeah.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
My day job doesn't server brunch and the owner at my night job already said we're gonna close early tonight. All I'm doing is getting a few locals drunk then enjoying the next few days off.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Bussamove posted:

Gonna have mimosas and eggs benny at brunch then go in for a slow night like every year. Hell yeah.

I'm going to go be one of those assholes that does brunch today.

Gonna get fat baby!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So. I have a doozy of an order to share tonight.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tell us.

It's 6:20, we haven't even had 350 orders today. Our patient count is at 125 currently. And I'm phone posting from the bathroom, and we had 2 tickets waiting about 3 minutes ago.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It needs photo editing

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Manuel Calavera posted:

Tell us.

It's 6:20, we haven't even had 350 orders today. Our patient count is at 125 currently. And I'm phone posting from the bathroom, and we had 2 tickets waiting about 3 minutes ago.

Ahh, holidays at hospitals. The one I worked at did lots of outpatient procedures, and we're in a pretty rural area, Come holidays, everyone wanted to be at home with family, so anyone who could reasonably be discharged would be, and we usually had low patient counts anyway. My first holiday shift was the fourth of July (on a Saturday!), when we had a whopping two patients in the building. That was the easiest pay +weekend differential +holiday differential +nighttime differential for part of it that I ever got.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Trebuchet King posted:

Inertia, my friend. It's easy not to hire someone, but to fire someone who'll show up and do a good enough job that you don't have to stress about their existence is harder.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Liquid Communism posted:

Inertia, my friend. It's easy not to hire someone, but to fire someone who'll show up and do a good enough job that you don't have to stress about their existence is harder.

right but the whole context is them...not showing up.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Ahh, holidays at hospitals.

Shame Easter isn't holiday pay. But yeah, it was nice and unusually slow. 125 is the lowest I've seen the count be in my nearly 2 years there. Even Xmas was busier, with something around 150 or so. Weekend differential is indeed nice though. And 2x holiday pay is also good. (I work at a nominally Christian hospital.)

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
easter was the easiest shift i ever worked plus i had an intern

i don't even think we did 50 covers, easter rules

e: average night is 80-90, avg sunday like 70-80 with a capacity of ~30? plus to-gos

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 17, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Manuel Calavera posted:

Shame Easter isn't holiday pay. But yeah, it was nice and unusually slow. 125 is the lowest I've seen the count be in my nearly 2 years there. Even Xmas was busier, with something around 150 or so. Weekend differential is indeed nice though. And 2x holiday pay is also good. (I work at a nominally Christian hospital.)

What's holiday pay? :newlol:

Anyway, I owe you all the order of the day. This came in online, so allow me to transcribe this for you verbatim:

**MY BURGER IS ONLY SWISS CHEESE, Pickles and KETCHUP **BURGER WELL DONE **NO LETTUCE AND TOMATO!!!! ALLERGIC TO LETTUCE AND TOMATO. PLEASE "NO SALT" TO MY POTATOES. MORE THAN 4 KETCHUP PACKETS.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

iospace posted:

Anyway, I owe you all the order of the day. This came in online, so allow me to transcribe this for you verbatim:

**MY BURGER IS ONLY SWISS CHEESE, Pickles and KETCHUP **BURGER WELL DONE **NO LETTUCE AND TOMATO!!!! ALLERGIC TO LETTUCE AND TOMATO. PLEASE "NO SALT" TO MY POTATOES. MORE THAN 4 KETCHUP PACKETS.

Allergic to tomato and extra ketchup packets, allergic to lettuce which isn't a thing that exists at all. People who order like this is why servers don't always pay attention when people say they have an allergy/

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I can understand the tomato thing - raw tomatoes destroy my stomach. Doesn't matter if it's sliced, chopped, or a bite of pico de gallo, I can't do it. Cooked is fine.

Lettuce though? Never heard of that.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I had a guy come in and tell me at one point he was allergic to cucumbers (and thus most pickles).

What actually made it believable was A. doctor tested, and B. he was legitimately miffed that he couldn't eat them any more. He also doesn't have that allergy now (which does happen now and then).

But yeah, they didn't want veggies and could have just said so.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Reminds me of the time I got someone order pizza but wanted it cooked to this side of burnt, because they had gluten intolerance.

"Sure OK guy I'll burn that gluten right out of the bread."

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

allergic to onions

onions in rice is fine

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
It may be the case that the allergen is destroyed in processing. Not gluten, obv.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iospace posted:

HEalthcare world my droog, they treat us like people. :smugdog:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Manuel Calavera posted:

HEalthcare world my droog, they treat us like people. :smugdog:

Yeah, until you get into the insurance side of things (ask me how I know this, better yet, you don't want to know).

I'm probably one of the lucky few to have a manager who actually gives a poo poo about their employees, actually. The problem is that we're so short staffed, I have to pull doubles now.

Also the fact that surprisingly enough, Easter is a busy day for us even after the church crowds come and go, so I walked out with a good chunk of change for the day.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

so here's the big question on my mind: what's the best way to phrase, on a resume, that I've been trusted with a key and the security codes and safe combinations, etc.?

I like where I am but it's just not enough money to actually advance my life, just idle complacently.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Trebuchet King posted:

so here's the big question on my mind: what's the best way to phrase, on a resume, that I've been trusted with a key and the security codes and safe combinations, etc.?

I like where I am but it's just not enough money to actually advance my life, just idle complacently.

Probably just a bullet point that says 'Keyholder since dd/mm/yy' if it's been a while, or 'Responsible for unlocking & locking store and safe storage of money' if it hasn't.

edit: definitely put that poo poo on there though, in my last round of interviews it's a question I asked every single person and also asked all of their references.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Trebuchet King posted:

Ask whoever is interviewing you if they're the gatekeeper.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Shooting Blanks posted:

Ask whoever is interviewing you if they're the gatekeeper.

only if they're anywhere close to as good looking as sigourney weaver

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Trebuchet King posted:

only if they're anywhere close to as good looking as sigourney weaver

She's a dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is not in the sky

the way is in the heart
oh my god why can't I just skip to the safe handling exam instead of watching these loving hour long videos

• Locked thread