Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Zaphod42 posted:

In my dreams :(

:argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Is there some sort of trick to using Gold/Yriel yellow which avoids it going orange? I have real trouble getting those colours to lay flat on the model without it going blotchy with the blotches being orange.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Frobbe posted:

Although i started work on this dude before listening to the latest badcast, the gushing over his gut and shotgun prowess made me finish this duder and put some extra effort into him!

Around him are various metal and plastic catachans, they're my current project.

crosspostin' from the 40K thread. this is the first time i've ever done a face with eyes. i am quite proud.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Where the hell do you buy the blue tack stuff?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Wirth1000 posted:

Big box stores or craft stores maybe. A lot of people use it for hanging posters and it's not always blue (I've seen white and yellow). Just ask a clerk if they have "the sticky tack stuff to hang posters with. No not the little squares with the peelable sheets protecting the sticky backing, the putty stuff."

E: specifically, I've gotten mine from the Walmart office supply section, I think

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaphod42 posted:

Tough one. I can find some mostly naked angels, but they're going to be ripped because of that hole Romanticized form thing. There's not a ton of skinny naked male miniatures because those aren't really traditionally attractive forms :cheeky: but I admire your goal.

Your best bet is trying to find some kind of elf, male dryad or pan like character. Problem is most elves are going to be wearing robes or leather armor (or plate even) so finding a naked male elf... its tough.

What you need are like some JoJo miniatures, haha. Well, I guess those are pretty ripped too.

You could go for like a Cupid miniature and then swap the wings for fairy wings, but that's going to end up with a very juvenile appearance which probably isn't what you want?

Yeah, nah, I want an adult male at 28mm scale =/
I've put in every kind of search I can think of; elf, fairy, fae, dryad, nymph, sylph, forest, tree, spirit, male, naked, sexy... Even with the keyword MALE in it, you still find no end of buxom female pixies.
I find it incredibly hard to believe that no one has made a fairy man that wasn't horns and hair or, a little man in a green shirt but the last day or two is convincing me otherwise! :mad:

On the bright side, the search did guide me to a cool treeman that I can use in Frostgrave as either a demon or a construct.
https://www.blackscorpionminiatures.com/product_info.php?products_id=289&osCsid=ves200s6uo7rnekc1s2mhdo357

That company has a line of fantasy football players and wild west figures, as well, if that's your bag :)

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
You can make a half decent old Joseph on heroforge :shrug:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I started playing DnD with some guys from work and they introduced me to HeroForge, which is what got me started back into the mini painting hobby. Seems pretty rad, I'm waiting on my first one to show up.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Does anyone know where to find a 28 mm scale child dressed as the pope, or hell, even a cardinal or something?

For content, here's my first attempt at modeling something with green stuff. I decided to take a D&D pre-painted mini and make it into a pack-ape (from Hackmaster) since I like to make them available in my D&D games.

The sci-fi/modern equipment means I can use the mini for multiple genres, but the home brew D&D world I've run for a while now has such thing laying around here and there, so it fits for my fantasy games too.

I was aiming for a Nodwick/Oswald the Overladen kinda thing. The big guy is sitting on a keg/cask and having a yawn while on break.

There were a few places that I smoothed out a bit after taking those and I add two more pieces of flair the next day.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Wirth1000 posted:

Dollar Tree

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Finally got a kill team finished.

(click for huge)

Alpha Legion and hangarounds. It's a hodgepodge of previous projects to get started in the hobby again.
I tried using water effects for eye lenses. It sorta worked, but as it iswater based, it shrunk a lot, requiring many coats, ending up a bit opaque.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Irate Tree posted:

Yeah, nah, I want an adult male at 28mm scale =/
I've put in every kind of search I can think of; elf, fairy, fae, dryad, nymph, sylph, forest, tree, spirit, male, naked, sexy... Even with the keyword MALE in it, you still find no end of buxom female pixies.
I find it incredibly hard to believe that no one has made a fairy man that wasn't horns and hair or, a little man in a green shirt but the last day or two is convincing me otherwise! :mad:

On the bright side, the search did guide me to a cool treeman that I can use in Frostgrave as either a demon or a construct.
https://www.blackscorpionminiatures.com/product_info.php?products_id=289&osCsid=ves200s6uo7rnekc1s2mhdo357

That company has a line of fantasy football players and wild west figures, as well, if that's your bag :)

You could look for a female mini without long hair, a dress or huge boobs and just say it's male. That might actually be harder...

This guy could make a decent kung-fu fairy.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I painted up a couple of Confrontation minis for one of my buddies. He wanted them colorful. The skulls on the bases need a bit more work, then I'll call these done.
The Executioner:

Sasia Samaris - The Rose of the Sands:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Is there some sort of trick to using Gold/Yriel yellow which avoids it going orange? I have real trouble getting those colours to lay flat on the model without it going blotchy with the blotches being orange.

What color are you painting it over?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm trying here since it doesn't look like the board game thread is the right place for it: Can anyone who has played Blood Rage or other CMON games comment on how the minis scale compared to 28-32mm minis? I'm hoping the Rising Sun minis are decent enough for scale to use for KOW or frost grave, but in my experience board game minis tend to be on a ~25ish mm scale.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm trying here since it doesn't look like the board game thread is the right place for it: Can anyone who has played Blood Rage or other CMON games comment on how the minis scale compared to 28-32mm minis? I'm hoping the Rising Sun minis are decent enough for scale to use for KOW or frost grave, but in my experience board game minis tend to be on a ~25ish mm scale.
They're actually pretty large.

Mantic skeleton, Blood Rage normal guy and official Frostgrave model in front. Hordes heavy warbeast and Blood Rage big guy in the back.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Electric Hobo posted:

They're actually pretty large.

Mantic skeleton, Blood Rage normal guy and official Frostgrave model in front. Hordes heavy warbeast and Blood Rage big guy in the back.
:yeah: thanks! That's awesome. LGS is getting Rising Sun when it comes out so I'll get those samurai dudes for test of honor or frostgrave or probably add some guns and use some for infinity.

Infinity and GW going up to 32mm is actually good. 28mm heroic makes dudes look like manlets.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 17, 2017

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
So I know the go to brands for air brushes, but I want to know the specific models I should be looking at as a newbie. Bonus if they're something I could potentially pick up with a Michael's or Hobby Lobby app coupon.

I'll probably be getting a cheap compressor from harbor freight.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

mango sentinel posted:

So I know the go to brands for air brushes, but I want to know the specific models I should be looking at as a newbie. Bonus if they're something I could potentially pick up with a Michael's or Hobby Lobby app coupon.

I'll probably be getting a cheap compressor from harbor freight.

For a beginner, I would either recommend the Badger Patriot 105 or one of the Master airbrush/compressor combos you can get on Amazon or Ebay for like $120. You might be able to find the Badger at Michaels or other hobby store, but it's hit or miss. Even with the coupon, it still might be cheaper on Amazon.

IMO, I prefer the Master brush over the Patriot. I know people swear by the Patriot, but I have never had a problem with the Master brush, and I think it's generally better. YMMV, of course.

I would recommend against the Harbor Freight compressor - there is no tank on their model as far as I know. Again, the Master combo is like $120, and I'd recommend that compressor to anyone short of a pro who might have need of a compressor that needs to run all day.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
I am very much a newbie and I love my Badger Patriot 105.

I got a Iwata Ninja Jet compressor, http://www.iwata-medea.com/products/compressors/ninja-jet/, and I also like that a lot.

Both have been very forgiving, in terms of ease of use and cleaning.

I suppose the only bad thing on the compressor is that it doesn't have a built-in pressure gauge to tell you the PSI, but I could run out and get a connection-based one if I really need it. I mostly go by "does this feel right blowing against my hand" now.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
This is the Harbor Freight compressor https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10210677821354061&id=1004220058&ref=content_filter

Also I've heard almost universal advice to stay away from that Master Bundle of it can be helped.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Silhouette posted:

Dollar Tree

I used tac from the dollar store, and it sucks: it's impossible to remove completely, gets sticky and goopy when exposed to paint, etc. I had much better results with silly putty for masking.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

mango sentinel posted:

Also I've heard almost universal advice to stay away from that Master Bundle of it can be helped.
Out of curiosity, from who? The Master brushes and compressors consistently rate 4 stars on Amazon, which is comparable, if not higher, than the Badger products. Obviously, it's your choice, but the Master products are legit good, and you shouldn't have any issues with them.

Ensign Expendable posted:

I used tac from the dollar store, and it sucks: it's impossible to remove completely, gets sticky and goopy when exposed to paint, etc. I had much better results with silly putty for masking.
Silly Putty is great for masking. Tac is for holding models and bits in place temporarily and shouldn't be used otherwise.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Patriot 105 all day long. Get a guarded spray regulator for $5 or whatever too, as it'll protect the end of the needle so much more.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

TTerrible posted:

Get a guarded spray regulator for $5 or whatever too, as it'll protect the end of the needle so much more.

Truth. I hate this - Badger should have designed the drat thing to be protected in the first place. That needle is way too exposed for my liking, and I'm actually careful with my brushes.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

berzerkmonkey posted:

Truth. I hate this - Badger should have designed the drat thing to be protected in the first place. That needle is way too exposed for my liking, and I'm actually careful with my brushes.

I have a sotar 20/20 and I'm terrified of using it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm going to disagree and say the exposed needle is great for cleaning up tip dry. I'm more terrified of bending the needle from being lazy and mixing my paint via back flow. I'm glad the sotar has the two heads, one with guard and one without, so I can use the one without.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm going to disagree and say the exposed needle is great for cleaning up tip dry. I'm more terrified of bending the needle from being lazy and mixing my paint via back flow. I'm glad the sotar has the two heads, one with guard and one without, so I can use the one without.

Mixing paint via backflow? I've never heard of anyone doing that. Where'd you pick that up?!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I was lazy and don't have much room in my workspace so just started doing it. I add thinner and a couple drops of paint and hold it against a thick napkin and it'll mix it. Then add more paint. It works fine. :shrug:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I also mix paint using back flow.

Or not specifically paint only, but to help mix airbrush flow improver and a drop or two of water.

When you're spraying a dark to light colour gradient on something it helps to not have the first few bursts be the same, older colour.

see also: Priming the pump by pulling the needle back and forth to prevent drying further up the channel.

Edit: Here's a youtube vid, time stamped. Sorry if you can't stand his voice, as usual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLeWGzJbHzI&t=212s

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

mango sentinel posted:

What color are you painting it over?

I've tried them over the current citadel base yellow and over white. It never seems to want to just lay smooth as the colour you see in the pot. And wherever it isn't smooth it takes on an orange hue.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Gold should have brown as a base colour imo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Electric Hobo posted:

I painted up a couple of Confrontation minis for one of my buddies. He wanted them colorful. The skulls on the bases need a bit more work, then I'll call these done.
The Executioner:

Sasia Samaris - The Rose of the Sands:

Really digging the red-purple cloak coloring you have here, that's pretty funky and not super easy to do and it looks pretty cool and even kinda subtle.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
The exposed needle is one of the reasons I only use my 105 for basing and large surfaces now.

I switched to the Iwata HP-C plus for everything else. It also has much finer trigger control, it's lovely.

Recommended.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
how are you guys loving up the needles on the 105?

i'm not trying to dig, either. Mine goes from spraying into the rubber holder on the spray pot and zero issues.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

manchego posted:

i'm not trying to dig, either. Mine goes from spraying into the rubber holder on the spray pot and zero issues.

I'm not loving up the needle, but the lack of a needle guard on the 105 XTREME just means I can't back flow it.

The airbrush itself is fine for most stuff.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

manchego posted:

I've not ever hosed a needle while using my 105 but it stresses me out having it poke out the end unprotected.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Don't watch a comedy while using your 105, i bent my needle dropping it watching Always Sunny.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I dropped my 105 once and skewered my thigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Yeast posted:

I dropped my 105 once and skewered my thigh.

The cheap ebay brush I started out with had no guard either. I was cleaning the end with the needle locked back and it decided to become unlocked just as I pushed my thumb over the end. Like a spring loaded auto injector.

I wonder how much vallejo airbrush cleaner I stabbed into my bloodstream. Maybe that explains my posting. :downs: