Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Getting to the end of the dungeon doesn't start the boss. The final enemy in Palace 1 is a Mara shadow. If you've done that fight you can safely explore the last couple of rooms no problem.

That's not Mara, that's the embarrassing chode created from a cult trying to summon Mara into the world and accidentally fusing it with a Slime in SMT:Nocturne.

Mara is in the game with all it's chariot-riding phallic glory, as a level 74 Shadow in the last dungeon. The best part is it's near-dead pose is just going limp :allears:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

RME posted:

youre forced out before the boss, once you've secured a route
like as a mechanic
it'll make sense if you jsut do it

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Getting to the end of the dungeon doesn't start the boss. The final enemy in Palace 1 is a Mara shadow. If you've done that fight you can safely explore the last couple of rooms no problem.
Well dang, glad you told me.

Would've been frustrating to leave and come back only to get kicked out and have to burn a day later on.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's not Mara, that's the embarrassing chode created from a cult trying to summon Mara into the world and accidentally fusing it with a Slime in SMT:Nocturne.

Mara is in the game with all it's chariot-riding phallic glory, as a level 74 Shadow in the last dungeon. The best part is it's near-dead pose is just going limp :allears:.

Mara was the final persona I got and I was happy to have him around for the final battle even if I never used him.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Mara was the final persona I got and I was happy to have him around for the final battle even if I never used him.

I still remember discovering Mara for the first time in Persona 4 (my first SMT game), when I was digging through guides for good high-level stuff to fuse and thought "Oh 'Mara'. Guess it'll be another female deity".

It was not a female deity :magical:.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Mara is a female deity tho

Strange Journey and Raidou 2 refer to Mara with female pronouns

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Moltrey posted:

fwiw, the only event you listed that I liked was the King's Game and that's only for drunk Rise and Yukiko voices, the rest are kinda really unfunny imo

meanwhile with P5 you have really cool side scenes without the protag, like Sojiro with Yusuke and Ann with Makoto that Persona 4 never did

What's up with all the making GBS threads on past games of a series when a sequel comes up in this subforum?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The Megaten thread has been making GBS threads on Persona 4 for quite a while now actually, get with the program

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

Well dang, glad you told me.

Would've been frustrating to leave and come back only to get kicked out and have to burn a day later on.

That happened to me and even though it was just a single day lost I never stopped being annoyed about it.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Decius posted:

What's up with all the making GBS threads on past games of a series when a sequel comes up in this subforum?
I have always thought a good bit of the writing in Persona 4 is bad.

Persona 4 has a really weird idea of Jokes tho. Like that women can't cook Teddie is horny, Kashiwagi, Hanako and a teacher vomiting on you

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The beach scene in Golden was funnier than any scene in p5. hosed up, but factual.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
So near the end of the game I'm finally getting around to Ann's social link and why the gently caress does this rando model actually have a character portrait, is this a reference to a prior persona or something I'm missing? who is this mika lady

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I still like Persona 4, though I can understand being burnt out on the characters.

I never liked Persona 3.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The beach scene in Golden was funnier than any scene in p5. hosed up, but factual.
Kanji wearing a shell is funny, but Yusuke's social link is very good.

There's actually been a lotta good goofs in this game tho, it's good

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It would be weird for the antagonist of a social link to be a random NPc.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

It would be weird for the antagonist of a social link to be a random NPc.

That didn't stop any of the others from being no portrait randos.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

ah someone didnt do the yusuke confidant

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Moltrey posted:

fwiw, the only event you listed that I liked was the King's Game and that's only for drunk Rise and Yukiko voices, the rest are kinda really unfunny imo

The school festival date part where you can sit down and immediately start coming on to Yousuke was great though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bad Seafood posted:

I still like Persona 4, though I can understand being burnt out on the characters.

I never liked Persona 3.

I enjoyed Persona 3 FES okay, but a lot of the S.Links are just loving downers even among your own party. Even if the game's general themes are about depression they don't all need to be morbidly unhappy.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I just reached the sixth palace and aware there is another dungeon to go, but what how many more dungeons are left beyond palace seven? Also what the last day you can do social links? I only early in November so I should be able to finish a lot of the ones I like. Only annoying thing I saw when looking at the test answers is there is a pointless skip week due to exams showing up in December.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Rirse posted:

I just reached the sixth palace and aware there is another dungeon to go, but what how many more dungeons are left beyond palace seven? Also what the last day you can do social links? I only early in November so I should be able to finish a lot of the ones I like. Only annoying thing I saw when looking at the test answers is there is a pointless skip week due to exams showing up in December.

Spoilers

One dungeon after palace seven. Last day to do social links is 12/23

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Moltrey posted:

"There's no reason to use Yusuke over Ryuji"

take a look at yusuke's Dancing All Night costume then fucker

I know this is like 5 pages old, but I have a pair of sweatpants with the exact same print as those leggings, and now I don't know quite what to think.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Just beat palace 6. Just gonna blog some thoughts about it, feel free to not read any of this CIA document

Goro being the traitor is so loving obvious I knew it from the exact second he was first introduced as a character in pre-release material. But luckily the characters in this game aren't morons so they figured it out too

On that note, I like how this segment works way better as a mystery game than the entirety of P4, the actual murder mystery, did. Mainly because you can actually see most parts of the groups plan beforehand and go OH THAT'S WHAT THAT WAS and in general can in theory guess what's gonna happen before it does. That sort of thing is like rule 1 of writing a mystery and something P4 sort of ignores constantly

dumping on P4 some more, I really like how the group just loving told fake-dad about the superpower poo poo. It brought back my PTSD of almost literally screaming at my TV for narukami to just loving put his hand in the TV he's sitting next to while dojima interrogates him/calls him a liar

the game got me good, I thought I got a bad ending right till the smugfaces started popping up. Is there a way to gently caress up and die for real?

in short game owns

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 17, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

darealkooky posted:

the game got me good, I thought I got a ban ending right till the smugfaces started popping up. Is there a way to gently caress up and die for real?

I've heard that if you rat out on your friends then Judgment doesn't get to max rank and Akechi just kills you.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

darealkooky posted:

in short game owns

if you rat on your buds in sae's final interrogation you can get the bad endings, which if we're comparing to the true ending path sounds potentially horribly depressing.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I enjoyed Persona 3 FES okay, but a lot of the S.Links are just loving downers even among your own party. Even if the game's general themes are about depression they don't all need to be morbidly unhappy.
Thinking back on it, I liked the game's soundtrack and aesthetics, but that's about it. I didn't particularly care for most of the characters or S. Links, nor my inability to control my party outside the protagonist, nor the way Tartarus worked, nor the game's overall plot (insofar as I experienced it; I quit after a particular development I found extremely dumb and never came back). I'm glad it was made so we could get P4 and 5 out of it, but otherwise its charms are lost on me.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 17, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Speaking of that scene, back when everyone was calling Goro Just A Cop, all I could think about was the scene where he comes in, grabs the gun from the cop in there and just shoots him

No matter what your stance on Akechi, the kid probably hates cops the most of the group

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Moltrey posted:

Speaking of that scene, back when everyone was calling Goro Just A Cop, all I could think about was the scene where he comes in, grabs the gun from the cop in there and just shoots him

No matter what your stance on Akechi, the kid probably hates cops the most of the group

tbf Akechi hates people in general the most in the group as well.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

SyntheticPolygon posted:

tbf Akechi hates people in general the most in the group as well.
yeah but cops aren't people.

they're cops

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Moltrey posted:

yeah but cops aren't people.

they're cops

Akechi's a cop.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The other bad ending in the game is pretty bad too in a different way. What with the Thieves becoming like Goro and the other people they fought against

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Akechi's a cop.

He hates himself.
QED

slev
Apr 6, 2009

So when does swift strike get outclassed because it is still wrecking poo poo harder than higher level abilities

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Akechi's a cop.
not a cop!

goro is Paul Walker's character in Fast & Furious, Walker's tragic death included. cause in the end, it's all about family.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Apr 17, 2017

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

slev posted:

So when does swift strike get outclassed because it is still wrecking poo poo harder than higher level abilities

from my extremely scientific process called "eyeballing the numbers" heavy 1-2 times (deathbound and the like) does the same or slightly more damage if it hits twice, so any descriptor above heavy will for sure do more damage as will any ability that hits heavy 3+ times that may or may not exist

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

slev posted:

Agneystra because Deathbound never hits more than once when you want it to.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Are there actually any enemies in the game other than Angels and Slimes that self destruct? It seems odd that they'd give that to two specific early game enemies, and nothing else.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Saigyouji posted:

Are there actually any enemies in the game other than Angels and Slimes that self destruct? It seems odd that they'd give that to two specific early game enemies, and nothing else.

Yeah, but later on you have the offense to kill them before they do it really easily.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

fishing up the guardian is the woooooorst

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

fishing up the guardian is the woooooorst

It happened really easily for me, it was way harder in P4. I may have just gotten lucky with him showing up though. I never had any trouble catching fish along the way either, never bought more than the casual rod.

If you want to maximize your fishing value, go at night on one of those rare rainy nights, you get more big fish and more of them will be x2 value. I had a guardian show up on one of those times, and he also showed up the first time I could fish with the most expensive bait.

Now that I've seen all the rewards I doubt I'll bother with fishing much at all in my next game, at most I'll do enough to nab the upgradeable gear, no way is it worth the timesink for a soul vest. Even the gear probably isn't worth it, but it'll be something to do if I've already done literally everything else I wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
How do you work at the flower shop and the convenience store in Shibuya? I need to work there for requests.