Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

The Nub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
are we posting outfits? let's post outfits :9

silver mask+leonhard's gauntlets+drang armor+shadow leggings

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My latest character as an extremely detailed face. I spent a lot of time on it. :)

Sensory deprivation build.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

I probably shoulda grabbed a non-lovely jpg but whatever

ONI ARE THE STRONGEST

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
We posting fashion? :dance:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

In the context of the series, Dark Souls 2 covenants are good. This does not invalidate your complaint, but it just further highlights how bad the mechanic has always been.

Isn't the only thing you get for the full 500 kills a brighter soul glow when you invade?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

I've also tried a variant with the firekeeper robes, but don't have a screenshot of it.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Nuebot posted:

Isn't the only thing you get for the full 500 kills a brighter soul glow when you invade?
There are more rewards, but they're really just available for the sake of completion. Every thing they do, except the increased damage of Great Chaos Fireball (which is cute but not efficient compared to the only-slightly-less-good Great Fireball*), is duplicated by something else. And they're also sold on NG++ by Wellager, except for Targray's Set (which you can very easily get by killing him).

*And if you want multiple copies (likely if you're using it at all!) then you will have to talk to Wellager (or cheat), because covenant rewards are only available once per save file.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
why can't I drop siegward his armor :(

e:oh, I bought his shield thinking it was one of the four pieces and didn't buy the leggings. qq

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Apr 17, 2017

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Do you need to buy his shield too?

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Filthy Monkey posted:

I was kind of hoping to keep my physical stats at base for knight and just use the sunlight straight sword, but if the dragonslayer axe is good enough I might bump up to that.

How bad was the recent raw lothric knight greatsword nerf? I noticed the last patch notes had

I guess lightning is still an option for it.

Sunlight straight sword is better than the dragonslayer axe for a faith build now that it does damage. All dragonslayer axe has going for it is raw AR, its moveset is inferior and its weapon art overwrites weapon buffs.

Blessed is now very strong for faith builds using faith scaling weapons since the last patch. Blessed is a stronger infusion than lightning on the lothric knight greatsword for example, although both those infusions mean you can no longer buff.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Wolnir's skeletons don't have a hitbox this playthrough. Awesome, good boss from

Bizarrely, Wolnir is a good spot for sunbroing. Got about 7:8 medals last night; I only put my sign down because I was doing something else.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I was really hoping killing the thing that summons archers at the start of the ringed city would stop them spawning

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

Node posted:

Do you need to buy his shield too?

Nope, the armor set is all you need.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jose posted:

I was really hoping killing the thing that summons archers at the start of the ringed city would stop them spawning

Yeah the giants not being perma kills is a really bad decision.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
why? there's only 3 of them, one at the very start who you have no reason to go past again once you have gone past it once, the second is the big guy in the middle of the muck who you can just walk around, and the only other one is in an obscure location on the way to the purging monument you'll never normally go near

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

note to self: the hornet ring only shows up after you kill the abyss watchers. Rushing it doesn't work.

goddamn it

Will we ever figure out what the deal is with untended graves? Stuff in there shows up after doing poo poo in the main quest but it's not part of our timeline but it is but it's in the futurepast but aiaodifjoqsdjqopd.

Ludleth, buddy, just tell me when the gently caress untended graves is and why/how I end up there?!

double nine fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 17, 2017

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

There's no mystery about the untended graves. If there's any mystery it's about the mechanism of being sent back in time from Firelink.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

double nine posted:

Will we ever figure out what the deal is with untended graves? Stuff in there shows up after doing poo poo in the main quest but it's not part of our timeline but it is but it's in the futurepast but aiaodifjoqsdjqopd.

Probably for the same reason a bunch of other stuff is arbitrarily gated, Fromsoft thinks player freedom and doing things out of sequence is bad nowadays :ms:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

IronicDongz posted:

why? there's only 3 of them, one at the very start who you have no reason to go past again once you have gone past it once, the second is the big guy in the middle of the muck who you can just walk around, and the only other one is in an obscure location on the way to the purging monument you'll never normally go near

ultimately it doesn't matter but i'd like to be able to casually explore after killing them since its intentionally made really hard. I got a shock when the hammer summon turned up when i was on the stairs casting crystal souls spear at it

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

I hope I'm not too late to post fashion! I tend to reuse the same pieces over and over again (especially helmets), but this game has so many interesting armour sets that I never feel like I'm lacking in variety.

I love this! What trousers are those?

basalt fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 17, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Oh yeah doesn't Argo summon a silver knight with the malformed club thing from 2? What's the deal with these hammer knights.

It'd be cool if he summoned players he killed.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This was a good video though I'm not sure I agree with every point (particularly the view on linearity in DS1). Also it's better than BB. :colbert:

quote:

Lifegems suck. The reason he likes them are all valid. But keeping your stock up of them is stupid busy work and I never used them because I loving hate managing stock probably the same way he hates attrition. Just have it be a reusable item.

It's no different than blood vials in that way.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

RBA Starblade posted:

Those suck for those reasons too. Just have an infinity bonfire stock but you can find them off dudes to field resupply.

Is hordrick's hat supposed to look like the undead legion?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

This is very cool

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Ludleth says that the Untended Graves is his timeline. Firelink HQ got knocked out into a pocket dimension and replaced with UG in the contiguous world for uh, reasons. Whether it's linear time or forked time is not really clear. Gundyr's whole deal seems to imply it's a fork but Ludleth's statements suggest it's a hole to the past instead. gently caress knows.

I doubt even Miyazaki had a coherent plan for that place. Or the Dreg Heap and its relationship to the Kiln. "It's a cool concept, throw it in. Who cares if it contradicts a bunch of other stuff".

It would make more sense if you wrapped around to the beginning of the game after Oceiros and there was some pocket dimension teleport to UG instead, but obviously that wouldn't be as cool of a set piece. At least the Abandoned Workshop in Bloodborne actually made sense there.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

I don't have a screenshot of my Strength guy here, but I'm using Lapp's Helm (was using Helm of Favor before, looks great too), Eastern Armor chest, Dragonslayer Gloves and Morne's or Lapp's Leggings with a Splitleaf Greatsword and a Follower's Javelin as my second weapon, and a Cestus on my offhand. It looks pretty intimidating and gives me over 30 poise, which helps in pvp.

I was messing around on arenas a while and noticed that if I play really aggressive with the splitleaf I tend to get owned. However, if I spin it around holding L2 and releasing and repeating whenever I get to about 60% of my stamina, melee people get tilted and generally controlling their approaches with a two-handed R1 and the weapon art, I can greatly control the pace of the fight and win a lot more often than I feel I should. It really is that whale knight from Berserk or whatever. The strong attack from the stance does a lot of damage and covers a surprising amount of ground, without spending too much stamina. Holding L2 also seems to block throwing knives, but not spells. Not sure about arrows.

Splitleaf is also the best weapon because it has a free emote that's amazing to spam after you win a duel.

Maleh-Vor fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 17, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RBA Starblade posted:

This was a good video though I'm not sure I agree with every point (particularly the view on linearity in DS1). Also it's better than BB. :colbert:

I think "healing being punishable is bad because it doesn't feel good to die that way" and "Dark Souls being linear but feeling like it's nonlinear is bad game design" and "having to redo a sequence when you die from it so that you'll need to master it to move forward sucks why would anybody find this fun *forced laughter*" and "the jarring level transitions are good because they are surprising" are extremely bad points. He contradicts himself a lot too. It's weird because his other videos are actually pretty good but this one is kinda a mess, I think Joseph Anderson gave a much better defense of Dark Souls 2.

He's right that the MatthewMatosis video is kinda really bad though. But I think engaging primarily with dumb criticism made Hbomberguy primarily give dumb counter arguments.

Augus fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 17, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

basalt posted:

I love this! What trousers are those?

Thanks! :3: It's the Eastern Leggings, one of my favorite pants (in DS1, too!).

Really digging all your fashion, and the poses too!

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Augus posted:

He's right that the MatthewMatosis video is kinda really bad though. But I think engaging primarily with dumb criticism made him give dumb counter arguments.

It is clearly the best part of that video.

Sapozhnik posted:

Ludleth says that the Untended Graves is his timeline. Firelink HQ got knocked out into a pocket dimension and replaced with UG in the contiguous world for uh, reasons. Whether it's linear time or forked time is not really clear. Gundyr's whole deal seems to imply it's a fork but Ludleth's statements suggest it's a hole to the past instead. gently caress knows.

I doubt even Miyazaki had a coherent plan for that place. Or the Dreg Heap and its relationship to the Kiln. "It's a cool concept, throw it in. Who cares if it contradicts a bunch of other stuff".

It would make more sense if you wrapped around to the beginning of the game after Oceiros and there was some pocket dimension teleport to UG instead, but obviously that wouldn't be as cool of a set piece. At least the Abandoned Workshop in Bloodborne actually made sense there.

Part of the problem with gundyr is that in early concept art the pilgrim butterflies where winged snakes. Clearly a new stage of the pus. The proximity to Ocireos made me think at first they were failed dragon experiments. That might have been what they originally were. So Gundyr being pus might have meant something completely different in early builds of the game.
He's next to a sarcophagus with a tree over it. Maybe he was stuck to fester outside it until he became pus? I think Gundyr is the naggling detail that makes Graves so weird.

But I'm not really sure how much is metaphor in everything we see. Lorthic castle is rising above the ground as countries are pulled in. But Londor is out there to walk to Lorthic. Firelink is tied to the castle but always isolated as well. Even in the kiln you have to warp out of the ruined shrine.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Augus posted:

He's right that the MatthewMatosis video is kinda really bad though. But I think engaging primarily with dumb criticism made Hbomberguy primarily give dumb counter arguments.

Unsurprisingly he quoted that video multiple times out of context because the full context would make his counterpoints seem less valuable. See the part where he's like "lol matthewmatosis is bad at the game" by showing the guy's footage of intentionally getting hit by an enemy to show its anti-backstab attack for one example

It's pretty funny how petty he is about it, I don't think he needed to be that smug but that's just kinda his thing

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 17, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Those suck for those reasons too. Just have an infinity bonfire stock but you can find them off dudes to field resupply.

Is hordrick's hat supposed to look like the undead legion?

His whole armor set seems modeled on the Abyss watchers. Pointy helmet, asymmetrical arm protection (glove on the left, armor plate on the right), armored knee pads over leather boots, cloak with a kind of dark mottled pattern (though Hodrick's version is basically falling to shreds). The only really major differences are the golden tone to Sunset armor and that the watchers wear mail where Hodrick has a breastplate.

You find the dreamchaser's ashes at Farron as well, and Hodrick hangs out in the Road of Sacrifices. Maybe he was in the undead legion before he snapped.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Part of the problem with gundyr is that in early concept art the pilgrim butterflies where winged snakes. Clearly a new stage of the pus. The proximity to Ocireos made me think at first they were failed dragon experiments. That might have been what they originally were. So Gundyr being pus might have meant something completely different in early builds of the game.
He's next to a sarcophagus with a tree over it. Maybe he was stuck to fester outside it until he became pus? I think Gundyr is the naggling detail that makes Graves so weird.

But I'm not really sure how much is metaphor in everything we see. Lorthic castle is rising above the ground as countries are pulled in. But Londor is out there to walk to Lorthic. Firelink is tied to the castle but always isolated as well. Even in the kiln you have to warp out of the ruined shrine.

Actually now that I think about it Gundyr's set says he was destined to be a lord of cinder but that somehow never happened. He hung around Firelink waiting for his chance but it never came, to the point where the fire died and everything went so completely to hell that somehow the tiny cripple Ludleth of all people ended up being the world's last hope. Time passes, Gundyr gets taken over by Pus and ends up a shell of his former glory. The bell tolls, Firelink HQ gets ripped out of Lothric and starts floating around upon the mist instead. In its place is a hole to the past.

Andre is somehow unaccounted for in the past, to the point where he leaves his hammer behind, yet he's still hammering and not-hollow in the HQ. That's the only thing that doesn't really fit. Maybe that wasn't Andre's hammer but somebody else's? Like the dead firekeeper in the past who gives up and dies is probably not the HQ firekeeper, since there's a whole pile of identical firekeeper corpses in the locked tower. The only common thread is the Shrine Handmaid of all people.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The Shrine Handmaid is just a hacker with invincibility on, hence why she's alive. It's all very meta you see.

Heck, I might be the Shrine Handmaid.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Augus posted:

I think "healing being punishable is bad because it doesn't feel good to die that way" and "Dark Souls being linear but feeling like it's nonlinear is bad game design" and "having to redo a sequence when you die from it so that you'll need to master it to move forward sucks why would anybody find this fun *forced laughter*" and "the jarring level transitions are good because they are surprising" are extremely bad points.

I agree with most of that. The second point is a tricky area, because it's almost entirely dependent on good level design and whether the core gameplay loop is enjoyable enough to justify it. A game like Donkey Kong Country gets away with having an unrelentingly harsh HP system (two hits and you're done with limited refills if you can find DK barrels) and sparse checkpoints because the core gameplay loop (running and jumping) is enjoyable and has a consistent flow throughout the levels. By point of comparison, the SotFS run to Smelter Demon is loving awful: it's easy to get jammed in doors because of high mob density, you're getting pelted from all sides by arrows, there's a long bridge section where it's easy to get knocked off into instakill lava, and you can't even activate the fog door safely because of the high probability that one of the two Alonne Captains will knock you out of the animation. It necessitates a bunch of tedious clearing to get another chance at fighting Smelter Demon, and while I overall enjoy DS2's combat, there's simply way too much of it against identical enemies leading back up to SotFS Smelter with nothing to break it up.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
on the other hand, smelter demon is optional.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

Andre is somehow unaccounted for in the past, to the point where he leaves his hammer behind, yet he's still hammering and not-hollow in the HQ. That's the only thing that doesn't really fit. Maybe that wasn't Andre's hammer but somebody else's? Like the dead firekeeper in the past who gives up and dies is probably not the HQ firekeeper, since there's a whole pile of identical firekeeper corpses in the locked tower. The only common thread is the Shrine Handmaid of all people.

It's probably Andre's hammer but he just gets a new one. He's linked to the fire like the keeper and the maiden thus respawns.

Actually I just realized. Cemetery of Ash must be Ludleth's domain. Courland is missing, after all he's an exile. So with his power as a lord of cinder he makes his own Firelink Shrine separate from the world so Lorthic can't trash it. Then the Iudex is a personified memory of Gundyr from the guy that picked up his slack. A lovely rear end in a top hat people have to prove themselves better than.

Someone get me vaati on the line

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Iretep posted:

on the other hand, smelter demon is optional.

I actually don't know how to get through that room "normal"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I actually don't know how to get through that room "normal"

You just turn the giant boiler off, and climb up the ladder inside it to the bridge with an Alonne Captain on it. The door is right behind him, right where you exit from the Smelter Demon fight. Although I usually just kill Smelter Demon because the extra bonfire helps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I don't know where the boiler switch is.

And yeah I wouldn't want to go through that room Everytime I died in the dumb fun house after it