Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

friday night fisticuffs for honor aka pat finally gets to win one

I'm still real sad about the Brawl lost footage (and presumably so is pat)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Yakuza 0 is so good and I really hope they do as many of the dumb and goofy sidequests as possible. :allears: I can't wait to see what they think of Mr Libido.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I am glad for Unprofessional Fisticuffs. I like these little behind the scenes looks at their jury-rigged setups.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Shakedowns are weird. Matt is actually totally right, the best way to multiply your cash, especially for buying top level business poo poo and upgrades, IS to basically make a deposit at the Bank of Shake and let him multiply it, then kill him. On the other hand, they don't actually play like proper Yakuza bosses because you can't just wade in there and enjoy yourself, you have to play hit and run (or slime and run, as most end up doing). So fighting them isn't really fun, it's just a chore you do for money (mind, it's worth doing because Kiryu's upper level business poo poo is hilarious). This goes double because the best way to fight them is with Rush style because of the dodging, but Rush is pretty much objectively the shittiest of Kiryu's styles.

From what I've seen, Kiryu's final secret style-jakuten wa nai- is your best option at defeating Mr. Shakedown. But I bet that's just because of the, assuredly, obscene stats you must have by that point. On another tangent, I'm surprised there hasn't been a single "My fight moneyyyyy!" When Pat eats poo poo fighting him.

Also, I think he should be using those finishers more when it Rush.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Brawler is actually the best, since it has the attack buffs when drunk upgrades in the outer parts of the grid. You can take out max health bar Shakedown in 3-4 knife heat moves.

Hopefully they don't miss the weapon shop for Kiryu for most of the game like I did.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Woolie still isn't playing nier yet, right? I wonder if they're keeping it in the chamber for lp material once pat finishes it, with woolie playing and pat coaching.

Maybe he won't be wrong about so many things since he will have completed it within the last few months rather than years!

Or better yet and also infinitely less likely, a triple threat lp with woolie or Matt at the controls and pat coaching

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Woolie still isn't playing nier yet, right? I wonder if they're keeping it in the chamber for lp material once pat finishes it, with woolie playing and pat coaching.

Maybe he won't be wrong about so many things since he will have completed it within the last few months rather than years!

Or better yet and also infinitely less likely, a triple threat lp with woolie or Matt at the controls and pat coaching

I'd like to think if they were planning to have Woolie LP it with Pat, Woolie would be hurrying to finish watching the original Nier playthrough rather than the current leisurely pace, so the iron is still at least lukewarm.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They're in no rush because Woolie and Pat still have half their slots filled for the next half-year by long rpgs.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So I decided to watch those Drakengard/Nier 'analysis' videos Pat kept praising and god they're awful.

They're more synopsis (As in He says what happens in the story in order and that's it) than any actual analysis while also throwing in some "Oh aren't I just so weird and creepy" attempts at jokes and it all feels really like the guy is trying way too hard.

From Pat's talks about it I figured it would have been someone actually talking about the writing and the themes as well as the plot structure since he recommends it over actually playing Nier 1, but it's just some idiot reading you a wikipedia plot summary.

Hell for D3 he doesn't even really get into all the cool manga prequel poo poo that ties into the DLC for each Intoner and fleshes out why they're all so loving crazy and broken (outside of the watcher's influence) and them being hosed up kind of a core theme of that game. It's not really necessary to know to get through the game, but I assumed someone making a multi-video analysis of a game's plot might want to make at least a mention of it in some form.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 16, 2017

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Tae posted:

They're in no rush because Woolie and Pat still have half their slots filled for the next half-year by long rpgs.

That's why I was scratching my head when they decided to LP P5. I mean, didn't Matt wrote on his twitter when Liam was leaving that he wanted to reduce the number of concurrent LPs to 2 or 3, replacing it with more one-offs? If the P5 LP continued, they will 3 long-running LPs simultaneously. But that's a moot point now, because of Atlus.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Well, they mentioned that they decided on the P5 lp "last year", probs well before Liam left, so I'm guessing that was just kinda set in stone until Atlus aborted it. As for Nier, I think Woolie it just taking a leisure pace before getting in on it while enjoying the other mega games of 1998-2.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Foxhound posted:

Yakuza 0 is so good and I really hope they do as many of the dumb and goofy sidequests as possible. :allears: I can't wait to see what they think of Mr Libido.

I think Matt said something about this being a story-only LP. But I do hope they do a bonus video or two about some of the wackier sidequests, or at least the slot car racing. Because that needs to be seen to be believed. :allears:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

VolticSurge posted:

I think Matt said something about this being a story-only LP. But I do hope they do a bonus video or two about some of the wackier sidequests, or at least the slot car racing. Because that needs to be seen to be believed. :allears:

I think the current setup is that anything that triggers onscreen will be done so the audience isn't blue balled, then when Pat's grinding he will cherrypick the better sidequests to do them for the LP.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

where are these clips of 2b and 9s talking about the best friends anyway

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I think the current setup is that anything that triggers onscreen will be done so the audience isn't blue balled, then when Pat's grinding he will cherrypick the better sidequests to do them for the LP.

they're going to be trapped with Majima for ages, Sotenbori pretty much funnels you into quests nonstop

first place winna
Apr 30, 2009

Just discovered these guys recently and wow they make watching lps very addicting. Matt and Pat are very funny in general but Woolie has some terrific jokes if you pay attention. What are some of their best I should watch?

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

first place winna posted:

Just discovered these guys recently and wow they make watching lps very addicting. Matt and Pat are very funny in general but Woolie has some terrific jokes if you pay attention. What are some of their best I should watch?

Omikron

e: NBA 2k16 I guess because my Av.

DPM fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Apr 17, 2017

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Ride to Hell: Redemption, Until Dawn, XCOM 2. For a slower, cooler experience take a look at I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, or INSIDE.

Some good one-offs: Ultimate Chicken Horse, Sonic Dreams Collection, Gang Beasts.

Also required Woolie listening, from the podcast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drX9D2oeqTQ

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Prison break

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Tae posted:

Prison break

We're gonna get

CAUGHT

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Tae posted:

Prison break

brb rewatching Prison Break RIGHT NOW

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

watch the superanthologies matt made for 2012 and 2013, and 2014 if there is one

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Boy are you in for a treat. You don't even know about the forbidden secret 4th Best Friend.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

watch the superanthologies matt made for 2012 and 2013, and 2014 if there is one

A fan made a 2014 compilation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcQQcpcYmi4

Another fan has an entire playlist of compilations for individual playthroughs: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEN909zxsyTS7KSsfZHVLLAeUFkw5jwEm

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Here you go, I made a list of a bunch of great LPs they did previously for someone in the chat thread, though there's lots more

Captain Invictus posted:

Here's a bunch of playlists of Batman and previous LP's they've done that have been fantastic:
Telltale Batman
RIDE TO HELL: RETRIBUTION(still my favorite LP they've ever done)
Boxart Critique(going through long-running series's boxart such as Megaman and Castlevania, and discussing the artistry in them, putting their otherwise useless art degrees to use)
Friday Night Fisticuffs(weekly show where they spend 30-60 minutes with a fighting game, sometimes good like Garou, sometimes bad like JACKIE CHAN FISTS OF FIIIIIIRE)
Until Dawn
Undertale
The Last of Us(very good LP)
Metal Wolf Chaos
Spindash Quick Looks(various sonic games and Sonic Dreams Collection)
Double Dragon Neon
The Punisher
XCOM 2 Ironman(includes the most bullshit miss in the history of games)
Metroid Fusion
Life is Strange
Prison Break
Walking Dead Season 1
Walking Dead Season 2
Wolf Among Us
Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden

There's a shitload more, including some massive series like the entire Demon Souls/Dark Souls/Bloodborne series which spans like 400ish episodes or so altogether(including some giant streams), and those definitely have their moments.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
That list contains no David Cage whatsoever and is thus automatically invalid. For shame.
Substitute one of the weaker entries like Undertale or something for Omikron, Heavy Rain, Beyond2Souls, and Indigo Prophecy

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've only watched the Woolie Heavy Rain archives, the sadness quadrilogy or whatever is a future watch. eventually.

it's not a definitive list anyways, but just a good place to start.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

I got started on TBFP with Barkley: Shut up and Jam Gaiden and Scrublords.

Once you've seen the stuff above, kinda choose your side in the ongoing popularity Blood War and find some LPs. Woolie fans get Reboot, Pat and Liam fans get Nier, Woolie X Matt fans have Scrublords. There's all sorts of stuff.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

I've only watched the Woolie Heavy Rain archives, the sadness quadrilogy or whatever is a future watch. eventually.

it's not a definitive list anyways, but just a good place to start.
Sorry if that came off as mean.

But seriously use up whatever's left of Easter for that. I think the order goes Beyond->Indigo->Heavy Rain->Omikron for most efficient salt buildup.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Disaster Report can get slow at times but has some extremely strong highs and Deus Ex Human Revolution is super good. Honestly save for a few duds most of the LPs are really good.

The stay-away-from list is usually Dangan Ronpa, Megaman Command Mission and the subpar Telltale games like TWD S2 and Game of Thrones. Metal Gear Solid V got a lot of flak but has its moments too.'

Ride to Hell Retribution is easily the undisputed king in terms of fun-per-minute.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I think TWD2 has a special place as a playthrough that breeds Pat and Matt's contempt. Slow optimistic start turns into kinda annoyed reaction turns into full on hatethrough once you know who gets brought back.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah twd2 is a great sufferthrough

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Foxhound posted:

Disaster Report can get slow at times but has some extremely strong highs and Deus Ex Human Revolution is super good. Honestly save for a few duds most of the LPs are really good.

The stay-away-from list is usually Dangan Ronpa, Megaman Command Mission and the subpar Telltale games like TWD S2 and Game of Thrones. Metal Gear Solid V got a lot of flak but has its moments too.'

Ride to Hell Retribution is easily the undisputed king in terms of fun-per-minute.

The only two I'd really say "stay away" are Astro Boy and Danganronpa. Command Mission was just a boring game, but halfway through it becomes a MM podcast. TWDS2 is definitely out of that list unless you're one of those people.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Lol I completely forgot about Astro Boy so I guess that tells you what you need to know about that. It's been a while since I saw TWD2 but I just remember not liking it as much as the previous one. YMMV I suppose.

Oh yeah Yakuza 4 is pretty good too and Yakuza 0 is shaping up to be a top contender.

Foxhound fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 17, 2017

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The only thing I dislike about Y0 is that I actually need to watch the screen to get what's going on. Mr. Shakedown is already a top contender for Best Rival.

EDIT: here, have a thing I found in the comments for the latest video:

quote:

SHAKEDOWN, SHAKEDOWN, Mister
SHAKEDOWN, SHAKEDOWN, Mister
SHAKEDOWN, SHAKEDOWN
SHAKEDOWN SHAKEDOWN, (3,2,1) Here we go!
SHINING MONEY! Beat out of me!
Brand new shakedown in the middle of the street
Everyone just give your cash
So he won't knock you on your rear end
All you need to do is fork it all over to him.
Let shakedowns (Let shakedowns) bring cash and strength for him
There is just nothing but strength,
I gave you all my cash so don't break me apart!
Let all of your cash make him stronger.
He will only beef up more
'till he's the strongest organism!
1988 is his summer!
Every road will lead you to him
Oh poo poo!
SHAKEDOWN, SHAKEDOWN
SHAKEDOWN, SHAKEDOWN
SHAKEDOWN, SHAKEDOWN
SHAKEDOWN, SHAKEDOWN
Screams of gingers running away!
Brand new back down it's what we're all gonna see.
Every cent that they will lose is because they went and chose
Not run away but stand up and oppose
Let worry (let worry) fill your heart when you see..

This giant guy coming down the way
Now poo poo your pants and run for your life!
Let the joy of strength give him answers
And he will hold onto your cash
if you go down the wrong way
1988 is his summer!
Oh poo poo!
SHAKEDOWN, SHAKEDOWN
SHAKEDOWN, SHAKEDOWN
Let all of your cash make him stronger.
He will only beef up more
'till he's the strongest organism!
Let the joy of strength give him answers
And he will hold onto your cash
if you go down the wrong way
1988 is his summer!
Oh poo poo!
SHAKEDOWN, SHAKEDOWN
SHAKEDOWN, SHAKEDOWN
SHAKEDOWN, SHAKEDOWN
SHAKEDOWN, SHAKEDOWN!

Dias fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 17, 2017

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I knew the word Shakedown was reminding me of something! Yeesh they did the whole version of the song and everything too.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Shakedown isn't the Rival of 0. As said in his intro, there's others, he's an enemy type.

We have met 0's rival, he just hasn't outed himself yet.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lurking among the alleys of Kamurocho, he stalks us, plotting, waiting to strike and finally end us all.

Eric Sparrow knows no mercy.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Rodyle posted:

We have met 0's rival, he just hasn't outed himself yet.

Waiting for friendship cop to show his true form.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ride to hell is still one of the funniest lp's I've ever seen. The glitches and Matt and Pat's reactions to them are priceless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Monaghan posted:

ride to hell is still one of the funniest lp's I've ever seen. The glitches and Matt and Pat's reactions to them are priceless.

"Qui Gon Chi" is one of my big favourite best friend moments.