Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I forget how bad the game is if you let the AI have agent actions. Simply can't imagine a dwarf campaign where you have to hunt down agents. Just awful

Use a no aggressive agents mod. Nothing, and I mean nothing is lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ammanas posted:

I forget how bad the game is if you let the AI have agent actions. Simply can't imagine a dwarf campaign where you have to hunt down agents. Just awful

My experience with this is it coming down to just living with the grudge meter being full and suffering the penalties until you wipe out the offending factions entirely. You aren't ever catching those drat goblins.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
Out of simple curiosity i tried using the total war: warhammer assembly kit: As a test i modified the reload stat on the empire handgunners using the TWeak tool then applied. I exported my modifications then i made the pack file in BOB.
When i tried testing it out warhammer just crashes. Did i do something wrong? I checked the load out of date mods to test it localy but still crashes the game. I also tried uploading it to the workshop, with the same results

What am i doing wrong?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Cythereal posted:

My experience with this is it coming down to just living with the grudge meter being full and suffering the penalties until you wipe out the offending factions entirely. You aren't ever catching those drat goblins.

To be fair, the grudges don't make you go after a specific agent, it's just "Assassinate one of these turds, stat". Still painful though, just because Dwarves have an agent game so bad it usually never gets off the ground.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

Out of simple curiosity i tried using the total war: warhammer assembly kit: As a test i modified the reload stat on the empire handgunners using the TWeak tool then applied. I exported my modifications then i made the pack file in BOB.
When i tried testing it out warhammer just crashes. Did i do something wrong? I checked the load out of date mods to test it localy but still crashes the game. I also tried uploading it to the workshop, with the same results

What am i doing wrong?

Did you install the kit to the same drive as the game?

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

KPC_Mammon posted:

Did you install the kit to the same drive as the game?

yes

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

What am i doing wrong?

You're using the Assembly Kit instead of PackFileManager

PFM is much easier and works for 90% of anything you would want to mod

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
To kill fleeing lords, you need to surround their army with zones of control before combat. If the opposing army has nowhere to retreat, they are eliminated.

Dwarves are tactically slow, but operationally the Underway makes them very maneuverable.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Ammanas posted:

Use a no aggressive agents mod. Nothing, and I mean nothing is lost.

Seconded. There's also one​ that only allows the player's agents to carry out hostile actions, if you don't want to cut yourself off from certain offensive options or lock yourself out of quests that require you to assassinate someone.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Dammit nothing takes the wind out of my sails faster in this game than when I crash right at the end of a long hard fought battle.

I want to know how they rigged up autoresolve in this game because I can win a battle manually with the bar 90% red with 1/8th casualties but autoresolve will kill off all my cavalry and a hero. And artillery gets three times more kills it would in practice completely unscathed.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

SickZip posted:

You're using the Assembly Kit instead of PackFileManager

PFM is much easier and works for 90% of anything you would want to mod

Alright i downloaded pfm: know any good tutorials?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Delacroix posted:

I want to know how they rigged up autoresolve in this game because I can win a battle manually with the bar 90% red with 1/8th casualties but autoresolve will kill off all my cavalry and a hero. And artillery gets three times more kills it would in practice completely unscathed.

My tires guess is it works like this:
-Damage from artillery over 10secs is calculated
-Damage from missile units over 10secs is calculated
-Damage from melee yadda yadda

All damage is distributed by prioritizing cheaper low tier infantry, with melee units getting damage first, then ranged, then artillery.

Since units are taking casualties before they get to damage back on their 'round', autoresolve favors ranged and artillery because they get low casualty priority. This simulation continues until units 'rout' and one of the armies is shattered. What probably isn't calculated:

-activated abilities or spells
-chasing down fleeing units
-terrain

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It seems to overrate large monsters. I had a garrison of about 12 vs a similar army, except my garrison was full health and the army was all half-strength or less except for three fresh giants. I had no chance of winning autoresolve, but on the battlefield what happened was the giants got murdered by quarreler focus fire and the rest of the units routed almost immediately upon engaging in melee.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Alright i downloaded pfm: know any good tutorials?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=702343155

There's also a ton on twcenter. Modding has only changed in specifics since Empire so you can go to the Rome 2 mod forum and any guide there will be mainly applicable. Twcenter is invaluable for doing any difficult modding

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
There is an underway map that I particularly dislike- the one with the big 'dip' in the middle. It seems useful for Dwarves, but the problem is that it's too far from the starting point and too big to easily goad the enemy to attack you via artillery from a good vantage point.

It would be nice to have some custom made underway/beast path/world roots, some favoring one race and some favoring another. So like the Dwarf favored one might be a series of narrow choke points leaving the enemy vulnerable to missile fire, while the Greenskin one might have multiple tunnels allowing them to flank dwarf enemies from a million directions. The chance to get a 'favored' map would be based on underway interception chance; on successful interception you get the map that makes it easier to take advantage of the opportunity. Similarly, when attacking an enemy who is in underway stance your underway interception % is the % chance you'll attack him in a favorable map.

Wood Elves and Beastmen could have their own version of this.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Panfilo posted:

There is an underway map that I particularly dislike- the one with the big 'dip' in the middle. It seems useful for Dwarves, but the problem is that it's too far from the starting point and too big to easily goad the enemy to attack you via artillery from a good vantage point.

It would be nice to have some custom made underway/beast path/world roots, some favoring one race and some favoring another. So like the Dwarf favored one might be a series of narrow choke points leaving the enemy vulnerable to missile fire, while the Greenskin one might have multiple tunnels allowing them to flank dwarf enemies from a million directions. The chance to get a 'favored' map would be based on underway interception chance; on successful interception you get the map that makes it easier to take advantage of the opportunity. Similarly, when attacking an enemy who is in underway stance your underway interception % is the % chance you'll attack him in a favorable map.

Wood Elves and Beastmen could have their own version of this.

That one blows chunks as dwarfs unless you're the "defender". If you intercept on that one you have to move so far forward to get even artillery in range that you're at the bottom of the slope and the orcs are coming down at you. Unless you have gyros to goad an attack, the orcs will sit in their deployment area until you're in shooting range.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I played this a bunch when it came out, but I've been waiting for them to finish releasing DLC before I came back to it. I've been enjoying all the poo poo they've added. I was wondering if there are any must-have mods around at this point. I think I've got the basics covered (camera mod, AI mod, etc) but the popular stuff on the workshop all seems to be reskins and unit mods of unknown quality—is any of it worth a poo poo?

Also, I'm sort of at a loss trying to figure out how to use beastmen effectively in the grand campaign. Anyone have any army composition recommendations? Their units seem to be at a distinct disadvantage in anything except an ambush, but I'm probably just doing it wrong.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I was thinking about the various armor values and what is good against what:

Under 30: Cudgel units in particular since they tend to have low ap, as well as basic missile units. But low-armor units are probably very cost effective vs great weapon opponents since dedicated ap weapons will have comparatively less dps against them.

50ish: Anything above 30 makes a lot of ap weapons start to become a better choice. But even mid value armor will still get affected by sword units that have a decent mix of standard and ap damage.

80: At this point you really need dedicated ap weapons. This is also where missile units will start to take forever to kill anything.

120: Magic and other special abilities start to become more worthwhile if you have them.

Physical resist: Magic (duh)

Magic resist: Too situational to worry about. Unfortunately you're almost never going to be in a situation where a unit is unkillable because they have such great magic resistance.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Wallet posted:

I played this a bunch when it came out, but I've been waiting for them to finish releasing DLC before I came back to it. I've been enjoying all the poo poo they've added. I was wondering if there are any must-have mods around at this point. I think I've got the basics covered (camera mod, AI mod, etc) but the popular stuff on the workshop all seems to be reskins and unit mods of unknown quality—is any of it worth a poo poo?

Also, I'm sort of at a loss trying to figure out how to use beastmen effectively in the grand campaign. Anyone have any army composition recommendations? Their units seem to be at a distinct disadvantage in anything except an ambush, but I'm probably just doing it wrong.

The shield ungors with vanguard will be the bulk of your army because they are good enough (especially with red skills) and tie people up fast, minotaurs behind them charging through your own lines (they won't be slowed down and having them mixed with ungors lower incoming attacks so they live longer).

I like centigors because they never run out of vigor for endless flank cycle charging. Add giants to taste.

You can't really make all of these troops with a single horde. I deconstruct the gor building on my secondary lord and build the centigor building instead. Since they are so fast (they can always run at full speed) they make for great reinforcements.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I've been doing a campaign as the Von Carsteins and it's been a lot of fun. I really like how Vlad and Isabella have buffs to each other when both in combat together, I've won entire battles off the two of them and my vamp hero standing in the middle of hordes of enemies. I was going to make nice with the Vamp Counts but then they broke their non-aggression pact with me and were massing a ton of soldiers right by my capital while remaining "neutral" (yeah right), so I ended up wiping Templehof and the Vamp Counts both over the course of like 4 turns.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Wallet posted:

I haven't traditionally played with mods, but for my recent campaign I've used T4 minor settlements, and Gejnor's Dwarf/Orc mods. Anecdata, but it seems like the AI has built better settlements this go around, the Greenskins are still a force in the late game, and the Empire and Dwarf minors have done interesting things instead of having one feeble war before waiting to be killed off by Chaos or me. Worth a go imo.

Beastmen take a little while to get going, but once you hit a critical mass of minotaurs you're golden. Focus on blue line for horde growth first. Combine your initial two stacks and have the second lord just follow around reinforcing for xp.

Don't lose sight of your campaign goals. You aren't required to wipe out every faction you fight, so if a war goes against you just run away and fight someone easier for a while. Unwalled minor settlements with minimum garrisons count just as much as walled majors for the objective.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Is magic still busted and weedy on large unit sizes? Should I get a mod?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I've been enjoying the Steel Faith overhaul. Which makes a lot of changes so rather than describe it https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=704361604

Building progression icons and the Suspense rename/colour pack are both prettier than the default imo (and compatible with steel faith), but Suspense has a few questionable renames and it seems he's updated it to make bret knights uniform faction colour so I kinda am starting to question the guy.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

ShineDog posted:

Is magic still busted and weedy on large unit sizes? Should I get a mod?

I think so. I got one that re-tuned Cataph's mod. You get more winds of magic as you progress up your magic tree and many spells get added effects in addition to damage.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Some pretty cool quality of life & minor mods were released lately.

Liberate as Vassals - Awakening a tribe as Chaos immediately turns them into Vassal instead of Military Ally

Early Heroes - You can recruit 1 of each Hero asap, with no building restrictions. Buildings that already unlock Heroes and increase their rank have been changed to further increase their limit or rank.

Region Gift Events - Gifting cities is back! Kind of. The dude who created the Empire Legitimacy mod did this (its actually included in said mod now as well). When capturing certain Empire or Bretonnian cities, you're prompted with an event and you may gift cities back to their rightful factions for diplomacy boosts. Only includes Empire and Bretonnia atm.

Character Skills affect province - No longer do you have to run your Empire Captain/Dwarf Thane/Designated training Hero around to every city within a province. XP training bonuses are changed to province wide.

Outposts for All - I've yet to try this, but it's a variation of the Conquer Anywhere mods that allow you to build outposts on other faction cities that you normally wouldn't be able to conquer. It sounds similar to the Wood Elf system, but it seems there are 'better' outposts for Major cities, and different versions in Norscan regions. Will have to test it out to see how it works.

No Glowing Circles - As someone who loves to take screenshots, I have been waiting for this mod. Removes the giant, obnoxious-at-times spell circles when a unit is being buffed. Probably not as helpful when you're actually playing, but it's wonderful for taking better screenshots.

blindwoozie fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 17, 2017

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Corrode posted:

Beastmen take a little while to get going, but once you hit a critical mass of minotaurs you're golden. Focus on blue line for horde growth first. Combine your initial two stacks and have the second lord just follow around reinforcing for xp.

This is what I did, as I remembered how important horde growth was from playing Chaos when the game came out. I'm far enough in the campaign to have access to all of the units, but I just can't find a force composition that feels good; it's fine if I can ambush or take advantage of vanguard deploy and mobility, but on maps that are more constrained (like some of the ones you get from beast path interceptions) even their beefiest units don't seem to cut it.

Edit:

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Some pretty cool quality of life & minor mods were released lately.
Thanks for this, I missed some of these while I was trying to sift through the workshop.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 17, 2017

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
The Legitimacy mod for the empire is pretty good. I have the conqueror anywhere mod in as well, the goblins came down and took Nuln. I went and took it from them. I got a pop up letting me know that the former ruler wants it back and you can either give it back, refounding that group, or have everyone hate you for a few turns and lose legitimacy.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 17, 2017

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Early Heroes - You can recruit 1 of each Hero asap, with no building restrictions. Buildings that already unlock Heroes and increase their rank have been changed to further increase their limit or rank.

Oh, this sounds very useful, actually.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Third World Reggin posted:

The Legitimacy mod for the empire is pretty good. I have the conqueror anywhere mod in as well, the goblins came down and took Nuln. I went and took it from them. I got a pop up letting me know that the former ruler wants it back and you can either give it back, refounding that group, or have everyone hate you for a few turns and lose legitimacy.

Every dwarf faction in the game should instantly declare war on you for that flavor text.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Mordja posted:

Oh, this sounds very useful, actually.

Agreed, loving sweet

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Every dwarf faction in the game should instantly declare war on you for that flavor text.

They're too busy trying to repo Essen's fortifications after getting stiffed 0.02g on the contract.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Legitimacy mod is fun and cool and the "1 of each hero" mod is similarly dope as gently caress. Empire is a lot funner now that I can actually have wizards and warrior priests running around for most of the game.

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
I got far enough in a game that the active Agents became annoying as gently caress.

And is it true that auto resolve is overpowered for chaos?

And are there any guides on fighting manual battles with bretonnia? I read the thing in the op, but that does not seem accurate for a cavalry heavy faction.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah, agents are the worst and most annoying thing the AI can do because mid-late game you'll be fighting multiple factions and each of thoes factions will have maxed out their hero capacity so you get 5 banshees trying to assassinate your dudes and gently caress up your buildings each turn. It's awful.

Auto resolve favors chaos as a faction for some reason, and it also favors giant-type enemies and artillery like a lot, even if you have tailor-made solutions to those problems (protip: halberds and handguns will counter every single unit that Chaos can muster; cavalry helps for killing artillery but a Lord on a gryphon works in a pinch). Chaos also likes to stack armies, so you'll sometimes fight 2 on 1 battles and the AR will say you don't have a chance.

The best is when AR says you don't have a chance in a defensive siege and you win without losing more than 100 dudes.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I'd like some advice on splitting up mods.

I want to try making a mod that adds Dragon Slayers as a Dwarf Thane alternative. Is that something I should add to my existing skills overhaul or keep separate?

I'm not sure what is the standard practice but it seems related to my existing mod so I could see combining it.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'd like some advice on splitting up mods.

I want to try making a mod that adds Dragon Slayers as a Dwarf Thane alternative. Is that something I should add to my existing skills overhaul or keep separate?

I'm not sure what is the standard practice but it seems related to my existing mod so I could see combining it.

Keep it separate. It's really easy for people to just subscribe to two mods, but if someone doesn't want part of your mod it's hard for them to modify. Mods, other than large overhauls, should have a single discrete Thing They Do. Anything beyond that Thing should be a different mod

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

it adds in a dwarven building for reikland, dwarven quarters, that adds in beer but makes your wizards cost more and your witch hunters have a lower success chance plus a bonus to dwarf diplomacy

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm really enjoying that Legitimacy Mod. It really encourages you to Play Nice with the Elector Counts, and adds bonus Legitimacy to lords, buildings, and legendary items (nice because since I play with AI agent actions off Enemy Agent Chance Resist is wasted on me).

They need to do a similar kind of mod for the Grudge system. While the Grudge system is rather hashed out, it would be nice if there were ways to incentivize resolving Grudges. Like I said earlier, often the monetary rewards are paltry and you are resolving the grudge to simply shut up all those moaning Longbeards. Having a system in place where there is an incentive along with penalties gives you a more dynamic experience, and I thought of a few more ways they could make it interesting:

-Each type of grudge has a corresponding reward, with some of the unique (and particularly annoying) grudges getting particularly nice rewards if you resolve them.

-Rewards scale with how long the Grudge has lingered in the Dammaz Kron. Striking out long-standing Grudges has a bigger impact than immediately resolving them, but this means you'll have to deal with the penalties for longer as well.

-Random Dwarf Factions can have 'Oathbound' trait which makes them particularly sensitive to your grudge status. To build relationship with them you need to make sure your grudges are clear otherwise they will not respect you. On the AI end of things this means the Dwarf primary faction will have difficulty confederating with other Dwarf factions if the Greenskins give them trouble early on, since those other factions Longbeards might not feel like the current ruler is taking his job seriously enough

-Instead of 3 grudge levels there are now 10 with steadily increasing maluses/rewards for completion. Penalties accrue more gradually but on the higher end are much harsher and tend to be tied to the nature of the grudges.

-Thorgrim Grudgebearer gets a campaign bonus on the extent of the rewards, so by starting with him you'll get better rewards resolving grudges sooner vs Ungrim or Grombrindal.

-The Dammaz Kron legendary quest item now mitigates the degree of the penalties by letting grudges linger.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Theres a mod that makes all the minor settlements have unique maps. Can the AI actually cope with city fighting even a bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

ShineDog posted:

Theres a mod that makes all the minor settlements have unique maps. Can the AI actually cope with city fighting even a bit?

Nope. The AI will frequently mess up its deployment due to the weird layout of the deployment zones on those maps. So you'll be preparing to attack a town, only to find out that the AI put all of its units on a thin column on the eastern edge of the deployment zone. Also, if it's the same mod I tried there are WAY too many forests on those minor maps. You barely have line of sight for five feet

• Locked thread