Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Araganzar posted:

God, this seems like such a great way to stir up more drama that it kills me to mention I use the rc setting that logs webtiles chat.

Won't be available until I win the game or die, but but I can assure you I'm excellent at dying, so you wont have to wait long. BaTm^Hep if that helps.
It's in your char dump.

It's also really weird to paint this as a stranger that has nothing better to do than stalk people who badmouth crawl when they're a regular spectator of your games that you can shoot the poo poo with.

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
e: vvv tbh I got a very different impression from your initial post but obviously it doesn't seem like a big deal now that you clarified further

Having an option to disable webtiles chat would be nice though (other than the obvious "avoid pressing F12 if you see new messages")

apple fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 17, 2017

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Can Of Worms posted:

It's in your char dump.

It's also really weird to paint this as a stranger that has nothing better to do than stalk people who badmouth crawl when they're a regular spectator of your games that you can shoot the poo poo with.

That char dump likely points to another game by now. I feel like I made a fairly innocuous statement and SA which loves to see a schoolyard fight took it and ran with it. Maybe I should have expected that, so fair play, and in any case it's better than being called a liar!

Anyway I won the stupid game:

code:
1553315 araganzar the Slayer (level 27, 216/216 HPs)
             Began as a Barachi Transmuter on Apr 16, 2017.
             Was a High Priest of Hepliaklqana.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on Apr 17, 2017!

The game lasted 08:02:49 (104866 turns).

araganzar the Slayer (Barachi Transmuter)         Turns: 104866, Time: 08:02:49

Health: 216/216    AC: 48    Str: 20      XL:     27
Magic:  41/52      EV: 37    Int: 20 (24) God:    Hepliaklqana [*****.]
Gold:   4764       SH: 20    Dex: 25      Spells: 2/58 levels left

rFire    + + +     SeeInvis +   b - +9 demon blade (slice)
rCold    + . .     Gourm    .   o - +1 shield {reflect}
rNeg     + + .     Faith    .   H - +10 plate armour "Onipungu" {SInv}
rPois    +         Spirit   .   W - +2 helmet {Int+3}
rElec    +         Reflect  +   u - +1 cloak of the Lotus Blossom {rPois MR+ MP+9}
rCorr    +         Harm     .   i - +2 pair of gloves {Dex+3}
MR       +++++     Clarity  +   r - +2 pair of boots
Stlth    +.........             C - amulet of the Four Winds {rN+ MR+++ Clar}
Regen    0.5/turn               V - ring of Phasing {EV+8}
MPRegen  0.4/turn               n - ring "Burus" {+Fly rPois rF++ rN+}
Ba are strong and the arc blade is my new weapon crush (sorry, you have to move over Autumn Katana).

Cloak of the Lotus Blossom soon to be renamed to Cloak of the Poison and Magic Protection and Also MP. It's made of jade.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Hey guys I'm an idiot but when did freezing and burning stop destroying potions ans scrolls ? I always that that was a cool touch and amped up the consequences of going after certain enemies

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Trunko posted:

Hey guys I'm an idiot but when did freezing and burning stop destroying potions ans scrolls ? I always that that was a cool touch and amped up the consequences of going after certain enemies

It was removed in 0.15 for a variety of reasons. The main one was that the optimal way to handle item destruction most of the time was to simply drop your vulnerable consumables prior to fighting whatever was gonna break them. Doing this was extremely tedious but important because having all your heal wounds potions freeze up was pretty awful.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Item destruction was awful and good riddance to it. May it enjoy the trash heap of history along with nausea and spores.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I liked those things =[

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
oh hey a mottled dragon time 2 walk back upstairs or behind a door and drop all my scrolls on the ground, kill it, pick them back up, and then do it all over again when another one shows up

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Ideas for a fork name of Dungeon Crawl that cherry-picks changes from DCSS? Asking for a friend.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
dungeon crawl pebble soup

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Dungeon Crawl: Reheated Leftovers

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

jerkstoresup posted:

Ideas for a fork name of Dungeon Crawl that cherry-picks changes from DCSS? Asking for a friend.

Picky Eater or some synonym of it.

Edit: DCSS:Food Critic

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Apr 17, 2017

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
What version would you have him start from? He wants Singularity back so it'll have to be at least 0.16.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
You could start in .19 and just roll back bad changes. A lot of the worst poo poo is scheduled to be in the .20 release.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Speleothing posted:

You could start in .19 and just roll back bad changes. A lot of the worst poo poo is scheduled to be in the .20 release.

True, just wondering about things that are before my time. I think I played 0.14 when it was new, but it was 0.18 where I started playing a ton and following development.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

jerkstoresup posted:

What version would you have him start from? He wants Singularity back so it'll have to be at least 0.16.

If you start from the back and work forward, I would recommend 0.17 and re-implementing Singularity by hand, because you would have to do that anyway if you want to cherry pick square LoS. 0.17 gets rid of stat death and shadow traps.

Although it might be more work, starting from the current version and reverting the changes you dislike leaves you with a much cleaner codebase for modification, and makes it easier to cherry pick from DCSS if anything you like gets pushed.

Edit: It would be good to compile a list of what you would want in your branch vs DCSS before doing either.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 17, 2017

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Whatever version it is, need to include the Crown. Will look for the change that removed it in the github later when on comp.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 17, 2017

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You'd almost be better just grabbing the most current stable build and patching odd features back in; there's probably a lot of under-the-hood improvements that would be a waste to undo

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

World Famous W posted:

Whatever version it is, need to include the Crown. Will look for the change that removed it in the github later when on comp.
That's on the shortlist.

Floodkiller posted:

Edit: It would be good to compile a list of what you would want in your branch vs DCSS before doing either.
That is going to be hard. There's no one single thing that I'm married to, but there's definitely a style of change that I'm opposed to which merits a fork. Crawl is becoming more and more Crawl: Tournament Edition. Things that are 100% the best in the game, always viable for every character with no drawbacks should be avoided, definitely. But catering to those who have beaten the game hundreds of times is wrong. Nerfing the poo poo out of a new developer's creation because it can be abused, while people are playing it and having fun with it is wrong.

And removing flavor without adding more makes the game dull. Soon elves will be Tux penguins at this rate of genericism.

I'm not making any promises right now, it's just an idea. But I think the game needs a fork and soon.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
what the hell crawl someone call animal control

And this is AFTER I took 7 wolves upstairs. I came back down and risked my life just for the screenshot, you're welcome.

Wasn't even a vault just 30 wolves hanging out with their hydra and yak buddies...

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Looks like a job for Qazlal.

I'd like to see Clarity make a comeback, since probably half of my deaths have involved confusion lately.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Speleothing posted:

I'd like to see Clarity make a comeback, since probably half of my deaths have involved confusion lately.

Working as intended!
/cackles

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Speleothing posted:

Looks like a job for Qazlal.

See clarity removed choice as you'd wear it and not have to deal with confusion, while without clarity you either having a cure pot or you don't!

(I didn't know for the longest time curing worked on anything but poison and the old sickness)

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Hey now, you can also chug ambrosia and hope it'll keep you alive (it won't).

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Cerepol posted:

See clarity removed choice as you'd wear it and not have to deal with confusion, while without clarity you either having a cure pot or you don't!

(I didn't know for the longest time curing worked on anything but poison and the old sickness)

You forgot about eating/drinking purple until you get innate clarity/mutation resistance!

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

jerkstoresup posted:

That's on the shortlist.

That is going to be hard. There's no one single thing that I'm married to, but there's definitely a style of change that I'm opposed to which merits a fork. Crawl is becoming more and more Crawl: Tournament Edition. Things that are 100% the best in the game, always viable for every character with no drawbacks should be avoided, definitely. But catering to those who have beaten the game hundreds of times is wrong. Nerfing the poo poo out of a new developer's creation because it can be abused, while people are playing it and having fun with it is wrong.

And removing flavor without adding more makes the game dull. Soon elves will be Tux penguins at this rate of genericism.

I'm not making any promises right now, it's just an idea. But I think the game needs a fork and soon.

That's understandable and is a good goal for a fork in my opinion. Even though I agree with most of the dev changes that occur from a design perspective (I think the wand and rod removals were good, despite the player nerf), this version in particular has had very few new features. It becomes a lot more noticable when the game is being made harder (due to removing tedium, no-brainers, and bad design decisions that benefitted players that knew/abused them) when there is a lack of new toys to offset the difference. Having a fork where removing tedium/bad design is secondary to fun and flavor would be fun to take a break and play every once in a while.

The reason I recommend a hard list of reverts/changes based off your own preferences (since you would be the primary maintainer of the fork) is that it is a good checklist/goal to decide when 1.0 of the fork is finished. You can always go back and change more in the next version based on your design goal/feedback, but the important thing is to get an initial baseline out there so that a release doesn't become vaporware due to apathy and feature creep. Having a public list can also make it easier for others to contribute/assist with getting something working if it kicks up too much of a fuss.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Would definitely be nice to have help, so I'll work out a list of the most important things when I can. I've been away from the game for a while, which is the hard part as I don't know everything that I'd revert yet. But I do know that I love playing this game, still kind of suck at beating it despite a pretty good knowledge of it, and want it to stay great. I'm not a great developer but I'm a pretty good scripter/editor, so maintaining such a project is within my skills.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

FulsomFrank posted:

You forgot about eating/drinking purple until you get innate clarity/mutation resistance!

Or just run zigs until you get an amulet of Four Winds (sorry, Amulet of Mind Cleariness!) or Autumn Katana (sorry, Sword of Cut Good Brain No Hurt)...

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
So when are angels and demons going to get removed since they pretty clearly reference religion?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Araganzar posted:

Sword of Cut Good Brain No Hurt

Please add this

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Carcer posted:

So when are angels and demons going to get removed since they pretty clearly reference religion?

Katanas are awfully Orientalist too, especially considering it's such a good unrand with a rare branding that is meant to be extremely desirable.

please dont remove more things this was a joke

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 17, 2017

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
I think the sword of Jihad was by far the most egregious example of making a reference that has a lot of negative stereotypes, and I hope the people making/proposing changes on that same vein can see that.

(I'm not very knowledgeable on other religious references other than Christianity stuff, but the sword of Jihad thing raises red flags even without extensive knowledge, IMO)

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Depending on who you ask anything related to the crusades could be as bad as jihad, so the shining one needs a bit of scrubbing.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
Oh sure but nobody else is willing to even shitpost about the zealot sword. I see how it is.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Fair point, actually.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
As long as double and triple swords don't get changed again I don't really care about this stuff.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Rename tridents triple spears

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
And while we're renaming unrands, rename the dark maul the triple maul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Dire flail -> Triple flail, but you cause damage to yourself each swing because holy gently caress who thought this was a good idea.

• Locked thread