Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Is "ugly, poorly animated models" considered a "style" or something or is there some reason they couldn't put more effort into making them look better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCJjZyM1O84

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cowcaster posted:

from what i remember the grand total of ground zeroes' bonuses are a couple of mediocre soldiers and a sneaking suit that give you a bit of a head start in the early game but are quickly outclassed so i wouldn't stress out over it

there's also hideo kojima who's an s rank guy so he's a bigger boost in the early game but you can also get him in mgsv proper without doing ground zeroes anyway
I've already beaten GZ so I think that gets me the sneaking suit or something, so I might do just that.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

I guess Ground Zeroes has some unlocks for TPP? That's kind of lame, I wanted to just run through that ASAP and get into TPP.

The extra missions in GZ are really good, though. I was in your shoes a few months ago and intended to just zoom through it, but I'd recommend taking your time with GZ. I love TPP, but Ground Zeroes is fun in a totally different way.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I gotta hand it to Gravity Rush 2. The final boss design is pretty Drakengard

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nina posted:

Suddenly seeming more appropriate

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

THe clip he uses about people playing Street fighter for money is a clip of people playing Guilty Gear. Fail!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Specifically Ogawa vs Woshige from Evo 2015 GG Xrd Top 8. Clown rear end!!!!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/HappyHarryToons/status/853730921266257920

Nate RFB posted:

I guess Ground Zeroes has some unlocks for TPP? That's kind of lame, I wanted to just run through that ASAP and get into TPP.
Here's a list of everything you can unlock in TPP by accomplishing stuff in GZ.

Nina posted:

They just announced a Nier Automata costume thing for GR2. Yoko Taro's grasp extends in all directions.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ah, the gray fox skin being a ground zeroes import actually might be worth the price of admission, since it gives you super sprint. however, in mgsv proper you can get a raiden skin which gives you a slightly better super sprint so it's still something that can be replaced if you skip ground zeroes

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

raditts posted:

Is "ugly, poorly animated models" considered a "style" or something or is there some reason they couldn't put more effort into making them look better

This is such a shame to me because the series has done uniquely designed characters before. Each with their own distinct body shapes, personalities, demeanours, that kinda thing.
The concept art is cool, but these are the only ones I unlocked. http://imgur.com/a/gojoe
I dunno, it says a lot to me when this kind of love goes into character design. Look at them doing cute expressive poo poo!

I guess they want this entry to be a social spot where everyone makes their own GolfMiis as opposed to picking pre-mades from a char select, hence why they all look boring as poo poo. First of all, how dare they.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Hopefully the golfing itself is still good because Everybody's Golf/Hot Shots Golf/みんなのGOLF owns and is probably second only to Mario Golf

I used to play the Tiger Woods games too but I think they kind of dropped the ball on the last couple so I haven't picked any of those up in a few years

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Uh so apparently the main voice actress in Nier: Automata is the same voice actress from those old Flash adventure games that Retsupurae made videos of all those years ago??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbNREEEx6ZQ

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Kira Buckland is Rina-chan, yes.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

That's pretty cool.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nate RFB posted:

Ground Zeroes is more fun than TPP so I'd suggest not rushing through it.

Jay Rust posted:

Uh so apparently the main voice actress in Nier: Automata is the same voice actress from those old Flash adventure games that Retsupurae made videos of all those years ago??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbNREEEx6ZQ

I always said she was way overqualified for those lovely flashes.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Ground Zeroes is more fun than TPP so I'd suggest not rushing through it.

Yep yep yep. I was amazed by GZ and it convinced me to buy TPP. Going through the first big village area in TPP was equally amazing but then the game turned out to be empty and boring. I thought TPP would be GZ experience on steroids and it wasn't.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Lurdiak posted:

I always said she was way overqualified for those lovely flashes.

Yeah some of the stuff she wrote hasn't aged that well.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Wildtortilla posted:

Yep yep yep. I was amazed by GZ and it convinced me to buy TPP. Going through the first big village area in TPP was equally amazing but then the game turned out to be empty and boring. I thought TPP would be GZ experience on steroids and it wasn't.

This was exactly my experience, and I feel like TPP would have hugely benefited from a couple more years in the oven to fill out the open world

I had the same feeling when I finished TPP that I did when I was done with Skyward Sword, which was "this game was not finished"

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I loved TPP even though the story was bad, dumb, and very unfinished.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's not really about expected enjoyment of TPP per se and more that I want to cross MGSV off of my backlog soon rather than later so I can get to other games.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
My biggest TPP take away was that the cutscenes were really well directed. Like staggeringly so. When will Hideo just make a movie already?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hot take: mgs5 was good

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
A more sizzling take would be: Peace Walker is good.
Because it is very good.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cowcaster posted:

hot take: mgs5 was good

Sorry, it's been over a year since it came out. You're not allowed to like MGS5 for least another five years, when you can look back on it with nostalgia and compare it favourably to whatever games are coming out at the time.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

peace walker was really good

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

oddium posted:

peace walker was really good

As a game or a movie?

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
As a good game, which it is.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
PW is okay but drat do I hate those bosses.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mordja posted:

Sorry, it's been over a year since it came out. You're not allowed to like MGS5 for least another five years, when you can look back on it with nostalgia and compare it favourably to whatever games are coming out at the time.

Nice meltdown

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
MGS5 in general felt like something of an over-correction in response to the criticism MGS4 received over having cutscenes where you could go down to the shops, buy some bread and fillings, come home, make a sandwich, and eat it just in time for gameplay to be handed back to you.

Hopefully Death Stranding is once again able to find that magical balance between wonderful gameplay and wonderful Kojima insanity, and why yes, it is strange that I'm arguing for less gameplay in a videogame, why do you ask?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

MMF Freeway posted:

PW is okay but drat do I hate those bosses.

I never thought I'd have to grind for a boss in a stealth game but there we were

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Kira Buckland is Rina-chan, yes.

I was happy when I saw this. Just keep believing in yourself and you can achieve your dreams, even if you start out doing hot garbo and talking about bananas!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

I was happy when I saw this. Just keep believing in yourself and you can achieve your dreams, even if you start out doing hot garbo and talking about bananas!

Did the guy voice actor ever catch a break?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jay Rust posted:

Did the guy voice actor ever catch a break?

Yes, Edwyn Tiong is his name (though I wish his name actually was Dan McNeely or whatever). He's had some small roles, I recall he was in Dust: An Elysian Tale.

edit: Oh and he was the narrator in Unepic.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

This response has jumped the shark and become its own meltdown.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Nina posted:

I never thought I'd have to grind for a boss in a stealth game but there we were

If you want to unlock all the cool secret weapons you need to grind collecting S rank soldiers and it is very boring (you also need to grind the camaraderie stat if you want the platinum trophy)

The mother base stuff worked pretty well in PW as something to do inbetween the short missions but it just felt like a chore to me in Phantom Pain (especially once you start getting into mother base coins or w/e)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'll show you what a meltdown is like!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH :supaburn:

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Yeah some of the stuff she wrote hasn't aged that well.

I meant as a voice actress.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mutata posted:

This response has jumped the shark and become its own meltdown.

Nice meltdown

• Locked thread