Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

FuturePastNow posted:

Stacked the court by returning it to the same partisan condition it was in a year ago?

they didn't overturn Roe when Scalia was there either

I missed the rule in the US constitution where it says the Supreme Court needs to have a 5-4 conservative split.

The moment one party decides that the other doesn't even get to nominate judges when it holds the government position that has the right to do so then that's partisan stacking the court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

mcmagic posted:

I'm skeptical.

I think what he meant is there's plenty of other stuff they might look bad for not passing and they'd rather it just never come up.

FuturePastNow posted:

Stacked the court by returning it to the same partisan condition it was in a year ago?

Stacking the court by deciding only one party is allowed to nominate justices. Remember that they didn't just refuse to consider Obama's nominee, they said they would continue to confuse to consider anyone Hillary put up.

Deciding Supreme Court justices solely on the basis of the party that proposes them is about as partisan as you can get, and succeeding in getting your own appointments as a result is quite obviously stacking.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Alchenar posted:

I missed the rule in the US constitution where it says the Supreme Court needs to have a 5-4 conservative split.

Technically it's a 4-1-4 split until Kennedy retires at the end of the year. :kheldragar:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

evilweasel posted:

Plus, Congress absolutely has the power to ban gerrymandering because they've done it before. They should just do it again.

Friendly reminder that the last time there was an opportunity to do this the Dems also had the power to unilaterally pass the ACA, and just couldn't be arsed to put their enlightened supermajority blue states in the same pre-clearance category as those goddamned racist hicks. The SCOTUS VRA decision even explicitly said it's Congress' job to fix it and the people complaining, could, you know just hypothetically, have done so whenever.~~

People in the thread acting like VRA is SCOTUS' problem don't understand separation of powers.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DeusExMachinima posted:

Friendly reminder that the last time there was an opportunity to do this the Dems also had the power to unilaterally pass the ACA, and just couldn't be arsed to put their enlightened supermajority blue states in the same pre-clearance category as those goddamned racist hicks. The SCOTUS VRA decision even explicitly said it's Congress' job to fix it and the people complaining, could, you know just hypothetically, have done so whenever.~~

People in the thread acting like VRA is SCOTUS' problem don't understand separation of powers.

The SCOTUS VRA decision was flagrantly unconstitutional and grounds to impeach every justice who voted for it, as the Constitution reserves to Congress the determination of what measures are appropriate to combat racial discrimination in voting.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Like I don't want to overstate the case: the VRA decision was unsupportable on every level, from the factual argument that "the VRA prevents racist states from bring racist in voting, so it hasn't happened recently, so it's no longer a problem" to the very idea that the 15th Amendment, part of a package of amendments expressly written to make Congress the enforcer of civil rights and to squash any state that dared get in the way of it because the Dred Scott Supreme Court was (reasonably) not trusted to do it, can be overridden by federalism concerns. There are many Supreme Court decisions I disagree with. That one I don't just disagree with, it's literally grounds for impeachment. That's unlikely to ever happen, but it should happen and it would be absolutely justified.

It's not just not in the Supreme Court's wheelhouse. It's that it was affirmatively removed from their wheelhouse.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

You act like the 15th wasn't discussed in the decision, and that other amendments don't also apply to Congress' conduct. I'd like to see pre-clearance on all states but to act like you couldn't at least craft a legal argument for either side is pretty delusional, seeing that different courts ruled different ways on the case. My point was that Congress could've avoided the whole thing and not doing so was their problem, not the umpire's problem.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DeusExMachinima posted:

You act like the 15th wasn't discussed in the decision, and that other amendments don't also apply to Congress' conduct. I'd like to see pre-clearance on all states but to act like you couldn't at least craft a legal argument for either side is pretty delusional, seeing that different courts ruled different ways on the case. My point was that Congress could've avoided the whole thing and not doing so was their problem, not the umpire's problem.

Congress doesn't need to extend preclearance to all states. Congress, if it likes, can single out a single state and place them under preclearance, but no other states, for no other reason than Congress thought that putting that one state under preclearance would assist in securing the protections of the 15th Amendment. The fact it's not the only racist state, the most racist state, or even that racist of state is not relevant. All that's relevant is if Congress legitimately is advancing the 15th Amendment's ban on racial discrimination in voting rights. The Supreme Court was not given the power to weigh in.

That is completely aside from the fact that Congress was absolutely correct to continue keeping the named states under preclearance as the worst offenders, not least because they could have bailed out if they actually avoided doing racist things long enough. New Hampshire, which got swept in due to a quirk in the law, was able to bail out because, well, they weren't racist. The rush to pass racist voting rights restrictions - two different states have managed to hit the high bar of being found to have intentionally discriminated on the basis of race already, despite the fact that courts routinely ignore the evidence of such intent because they don't like to accuse state legislatures of being openly racist.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

DeusExMachinima posted:

There wasn't a problem for Congress to fix until the Supreme Court decided to create one when it decided that voting rights law had an expiration date.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 minutes!

evilweasel posted:

I disagree this is why Republicans haven't removed the legislative filibuster. I believe they haven't removed the legislative filibuster because it is not in their interests, full stop. The GOP agenda the Senate is actually interested in can be done through reconciliation, so they don't need to eliminate the filibuster. The GOP Senate is not interested in passing every idiot proposal with 17% approval the House shits out, and the legislative filibuster is great cover for quietly killing those proposals. But any Democratic agenda if the Democrats retake control would need to pass ordinary legislation, so leaving the filibuster in place makes it more likely that roadblock will still be around to thwart Democrats if they retake control.

It's a difference in agenda: Republicans basically want the government to do less, which doesn't require 60 votes. Democrats want it to do more, which does. That's why McConnell is so openly talking about the importance of keeping it, and McConnell doesn't believe in anything that's not in his direct political interests.

And for truly toxic poo poo that makes it through the House the filibuster allows the Dems to kill it while the GOP can go "look at these rotten dems! :bahgawd:" while breathing a sigh of relief that they didn't just pass the Burn Everything To Ash Act.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
I won't criticize the GOP for nuking the SCOTUS filibuster since Reid nuked it for every other nomination. Sitting on Garland was a dick move but it paid off.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Honestly? Nuking it this way has been way, way too nakedly political. The GOP had their fig leaf for obstructing garland, they then made no attempt to compromise or otherwise deal with democratic​ obstruction and went straight to nuking the filibuster. The democrats had the argument that vacancies had been unfilled for too long and it was affecting the operations of the court system. If republicans make that argument now it's pretty hollow since democrats were obstructing for about a day before republicans decided compromise was impossible. They ensured the seat was empty for 11 and half months.

If McConnell had made some attempts to compromise with more centrist appointments and the democrats had insisted on only garland, i would at least feel somewhat better about getting rid of the filibuster. I'd still think the republicans were awful but they'd have been justified in nuking. This was all part of the same game though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rust Martialis posted:

I won't criticize the GOP for nuking the SCOTUS filibuster since Reid nuked it for every other nomination. Sitting on Garland was a dick move but it paid off.

What about what lead up to Reid's move on lower nominations? Republican obstruction on a completely unprecedented level. Reid had no choice other than to do what he did in order for the government to function.

evilweasel posted:

The SCOTUS VRA decision was flagrantly unconstitutional and grounds to impeach every justice who voted for it, as the Constitution reserves to Congress the determination of what measures are appropriate to combat racial discrimination in voting.

Bush v Gore was too.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 17, 2017

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

"But don't you see, both sides are equally bad! The truth is in the middle!"
:jerkbag:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's still amazing that in the Bush v Gore decision opinion they had to put a very clear note saying 'this is not precedent'. I know at least some of them regret getting involved.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's still amazing that in the Bush v Gore decision opinion they had to put a very clear note saying 'this is not precedent'. I know at least some of them regret getting involved.

For years if anyone asked O'Connor about it she'd grimace and Chang the subject.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

MrNemo posted:

If republicans make that argument now it's pretty hollow since democrats were obstructing for about a day before republicans decided compromise was impossible. They ensured the seat was empty for 11 and half months.

Less than that.

CBS posted:

11:02 a.m. The Senate is now holding the cloture vote to advance Gorsuch’s nomination. This vote is expected to fail since the GOP needs 60 votes, but 43 Democrats have said they will oppose the move to end or limit debate.

11:31 a.m. As expected, that vote failed, with 55 in favor of advancing the nomination and 45 opposing it. Republicans needed 60 votes to advance the nomination. McConnell moved to reconsider the vote now, which now needs a simple majority.

12:18 p.m. The Senate is now voting to invoke the nuclear option -- get rid of the filibuster or 60-vote threshold needed to advance Supreme Court nominees to a confirmation vote.

12:34 p.m. It’s official -- Senate Republicans have successfully changed Senate rules and have invoked the nuclear option, eliminating the filibuster for Supreme Court nominees. This follows Senate Democrats’ successful filibuster earlier of Gorsuch’s nomination to the high court.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Less than that.

They couldn’t risk their erections lasting more than four hours.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Platystemon posted:

They couldn’t risk their erections lasting more than four hours.

They are gonna last 30 years.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
The sun seemed to shine a little brighter today.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Number Ten Cocks posted:

The sun seemed to shine a little brighter today.

Just another example of human-caused climate change.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

quote:

Eleven minutes into the morning session, he asked a string of questions in a case involving which court or courts should hear discrimination and civil service claims brought by government employees.

Gorsuch repeatedly suggested it would be "a lot simpler" or "a lot easier if we just follow the text of the statute." But as the lawyers on both sides and other justices pointed out, the statute has multiple provisions that are interdependent, and nothing about them is simple or easy.

"This is unbelievably complicated," lamented Alito. "The one thing about this case that seems perfectly clear to me is that nobody who's not a lawyer — and no ordinary lawyer — could read these statutes and figure out what they are supposed to do."

"If we go down your route, and I'm writing the opinion — which I hope I'm not," Sotomayor said while glancing in the direction of Chief Justice Roberts, who generally assigns the opinions.

At this point, Gorsuch again suggested the simple solution is to just read the words in the statute, but Gorsuch had a relatively novel idea of what a statute means when it says to apply one provision "subject to" another provision of the law.

Justice Elena Kagan noted that the court has had a contrary interpretation for decades. To adopt a new interpretation, she said, would be "a kind of revolution ... to the extent you can have a revolution in this kind of case."

Off to a good start!

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

EwokEntourage posted:

Off to a good start!

Hey, he's just calling balls and strikes.

He might personally believe that the strike zone extends to six feet out from either side of the plate, and is somewhat larger for minor league and/or black batters, but who are we to disagree with his impartial methods?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Space Gopher posted:

Hey, he's just calling balls and strikes.

He might personally believe that the strike zone extends to six feet out from either side of the plate, and is somewhat larger for minor league and/or black batters, but who are we to disagree with his impartial methods?

Don't dox us, bro.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

mcmagic posted:

What about what lead up to Reid's move on lower nominations? Republican obstruction on a completely unprecedented level. Reid had no choice other than to do what he did in order for the government to function.

That tactic also made it abundantly clear that the filibuster for judicial appointments was gone the minute Republicans held the presidency and the senate again. If they had succeeded in keeping the appeals courts from getting a single new appointment for Obama's entire presidency, there's no way they would have just let the courts sit empty and stop functioning when they were in power.

Once they went all-in on blocking Obama's appointments, the filibuster was as good as gone. It was a one-time gamble to block as many appointments as possible and then take them all when they got presidency again so they could retain the control over the court system that Reagan-Bush-W.Bush had given them. And it would have worked even better than it did if Ted Cruz hadn't hosed up in 2014 and given Reid the parliamentary opportunity to shove through a whole bunch of justices just before Christmas that the Republican minority had been delaying with procedural tactics.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

EwokEntourage posted:

Off to a good start!

NYT posted:

Mr. Landau said his client was “not asking the court to break any new ground” by interpreting the statute to allow some filings.

Justice Gorsuch agreed, in a way. “No,” he said, “just to continue to make things up.”

Toward the end of the first argument, in Perry v. Merit Systems Protection Board, No. 16-399, Justice Gorsuch returned to his basic theme. “Wouldn’t it be a lot easier if we just followed the plain text of the statute?” he asked Brian H. Fletcher, a lawyer for the federal government. “What am I missing?”

Mr. Fletcher said there were reasons to interpret the statute broadly. But that was not what Justice Gorsuch wanted. “Not reasons,” he said. “Where in the language?”

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

EwokEntourage posted:

Off to a good start!

Lmfao they finally got their Justice Miers

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

SCOTUS Thread: Welcome Justice Fishmech

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It's like he only thinks the SCOTUS' role is to determine whether existing law is Constitutional and doesn't involve any kind of interpretation.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
No but see they put a line in the law that says "this law is constitutional" so when we judge solely by the plain text of the statute it has to be constitutional.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

vyelkin posted:

No but see they put a line in the law that says "this law is constitutional" so when we judge solely by the plain text of the statute it has to be constitutional.

Aw gee willikers folks, if we just read the statute...

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i hope the op never gets updated.

in solidarity,

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
SCOTUS Thread 2017: Justice Gorsuch attempted to respond on statute's behalf

Convergence
Apr 9, 2005

vyelkin posted:

This is a remarkably concise condemnation of textualim

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 minutes!

haveblue posted:

SCOTUS Thread 2017: Justice Gorsuch attempted to respond on statute's behalf

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Law specifical states that a particular element is subject to interpretation, Gorsuch turns into that meme of the sweating guy hovering his finger over two buttons.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Dear lord, he isn't just a terrible soulless conservative, he's a loving idiot.

"Well I may just be a humble country Judge, but back round my home we've got a saying involving the linens on the lines, which is to say we should really just read the Constitution and be done with it as the Fathers intended in their day" ((leans back, fans himself))

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

He's the "Hey guys, you ever just try READING the law?' dumbshit.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Gorsuch is that guy you know who thinks all our problems would be solved if we just elected normal people instead of politicians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

vyelkin posted:

Gorsuch is that guy you know who thinks all our problems would be solved if we just elected normal people instead of politicians.

That's strange since he is not a normal person