Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

mcmagic posted:

I think there are some cycling cards that are good in control shells like Censor and Cast out but I don't think you want to be playing cards JUST because they cycle. Drake Haven seems unimpressisve.

Yeah, Haven is a EDH card only really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I think there are some cycling cards that are good in control shells like Censor and Cast out but I don't think you want to be playing cards JUST because they cycle. Drake Haven seems unimpressisve.

I think the demon is very good at least sideboarded in a cycling control shell

Maybe it'll get enough support come next set, when they print a 5 mana cycling wrath

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

I'm sad that the cat is the thing that will get banned instead of Saheeli because with Felidar Guardian gone, janky cat tribal decks won't be as good and without the instant-win combo there isn't much reason to play Saheeli.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Eh, at this point I don't want them to ban anything so standard can continue its spiral down the shitter. Maybe then they will start firing those who got us into this mess.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think the demon is very good at least sideboarded in a cycling control shell

Maybe it'll get enough support come next set, when they print a 5 mana cycling wrath

The thing about the demon is that it's not really a 5 drop. You have to protect or at least have a few cycling cards up to get some value off of it and then you're into gearhulk range.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Why is everyone so adamant and sure cat is going to be banned?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

Eh, at this point I don't want them to ban anything so standard can continue its spiral down the shitter. Maybe then they will start firing those who got us into this mess.

I wonder just how much money Hasbro has lost due to design incompetence in recent months, and if there ever are actually any repercussions for anyone involved.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

80s James Hetfield posted:

I hope they come out and say, 'yes, we weren't expecting Cat to work so well in the current formats ... but it wasn't a mistake. There are no mistakes, just happy accidents.'

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

They banned Twin in modern and admitted that they missed the combo before printing it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Because there is no point in playing if it isnt.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Because standard is currently an overcentralized dumpster fire and part of that is everything needs a contingency plan for that deck if they want to operate

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ShaneB posted:

I wonder just how much money Hasbro has lost due to design incompetence in recent months, and if there ever are actually any repercussions for anyone involved.

Nah. As long as they keep Star Wars fans like me happy, they'll keep letting WOTC trudge along with whatever pittance it makes them. At this point, they should be trying to come up with another failed Star Wars TCG to combat the FFG one. Richard Garfield made the last one too and it was awful. :allears:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

They... Haven't had any rights to Star Wars games since 2012, though?

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
For all those questioning any semblance of a control resurgence and those naysaying cycling/Haven as a strategy in general, I at least think Seth Manfield is on the right track with this build.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Because the second you make one set of bannings everyone's confidence gets shook

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Siivola posted:

They... Haven't had any rights to Star Wars games since 2012, though?

Right, FFG has the license and it's more a jab at how bad at designing games Garfield can be. I mean look at MTG and how much they've had to improve it from the original iteration. :v: But the point is, they don't care since star wars and superheroes movies will be in for perpetuity and they'll keep selling those toys.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Death Bot posted:

Because the second you make one set of bannings everyone's confidence gets shook

Well, more when the bans didn't solve the problem and standard is still on fire

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheKingofSprings posted:

I don't know that it's possible to fix standard in one set...

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I don't know that it's possible to fix standard in one set...

It's not and the problems run deeper than bannings can solve but those are currently the only corrective action they have

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

They fixed a problem and newly introduced another as far as standard goes.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

Right, FFG has the license and it's more a jab at how bad at designing games Garfield can be. I mean look at MTG and how much they've had to improve it from the original iteration. :v: But the point is, they don't care since star wars and superheroes movies will be in for perpetuity and they'll keep selling those toys.

you gotta give Garfield a bit of lee-away for Alpha, he was inventing an entirely new thing so didn't really have anything to compare too. He thought using rarity as a balancing mechanic was gonna work and well, clearly that was wrong.

Now for any games past that, yeah he totes should have been able to figure out what was good and bad about tcg's

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

Right, FFG has the license and it's more a jab at how bad at designing games Garfield can be.

I hope you're not implying that Robo Rally isn't the pinnacle of tabletop gaming.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Cool prerelease dice

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
also, he made Lightning Bolt, the best magic card ever, so he's good in my book

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's not and the problems run deeper than bannings can solve but those are currently the only corrective action they have

I think the major problem with standard is going back to the old, longer rotations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ZeroCount posted:

I hope you're not implying that Robo Rally isn't the pinnacle of tabletop gaming.

dragon enthusiast posted:

Cool prerelease dice

my post above these two says 10:06 but these ones say 10:05 oh my god the forums are so broken time itself has broken

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I think the major problem with standard is going back to the old, longer rotations.
What a world we would live in, without Gideon and... Uh, tango lands?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ZeroCount posted:

Look, the only factory floor board games I want to play are those where you optimize a system given certain inputs. With the output probably being something mundane like nuts and bolts sold with the highest markup. (food chain magnate is the pinnacle)

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

The Shortest Path posted:

Because there is no point in playing if it isnt.

This makes no sense at all

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

people talk about what the upcoming standard will be like assuming something gets banned, because if there isn't anything then it doesn't matter what the format's like because they won't be playing

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

The problem is that these sets are being developed with 6-12 months of lag time while the competition is able to fix issues that arise within days or even hours. They'll never be able to do that with a physical card game that needs to be manufactured an distributed, but they've got to think of something other than "check back in a year" if they want people to stick around.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Cat combo pushes out more deck archtypes than even mardu does.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ThePeavstenator posted:

The problem is that these sets are being developed with 6-12 months of lag time while the competition is able to fix issues that arise within days or even hours. They'll never be able to do that with a physical card game that needs to be manufactured an distributed, but they've got to think of something other than "check back in a year" if they want people to stick around.

They need to adapt to the change of times but WOTC has shown time and time again that they aren't that type of company.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Sickening posted:

Cat combo pushes out more deck archtypes than even mardu does.

I think the only reason Mardu is able to stick around is because it's fast and resilient enough that it can beat cat decks before they can set up with a bunch of blockers and planeswalkers. If anything Saheeli/Cat pushes everything out of the meta.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

you gotta give Garfield a bit of lee-away for Alpha, he was inventing an entirely new thing so didn't really have anything to compare too. He thought using rarity as a balancing mechanic was gonna work and well, clearly that was wrong.

Now for any games past that, yeah he totes should have been able to figure out what was good and bad about tcg's

It should also be noted that rarity as a balancing mechanic is indispensable design tech which they have successfully integrated with Limited, along with the pack-cracking, jank-brewing conceits originally envisioned for how the game would be played.

They just needed time to codify these conceits as actual game rules instead of leaning on implicit circumstances, and then get some practice with crafting a block for it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sickening posted:

They need to adapt to the change of times but WOTC has shown time and time again that they aren't that type of company.

Hey remember when they tried including cheevo cards with prerelease packs? What else do you want?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

There's no sense in banning Copter, Emrakul and fuckin Reflector Mage while letting Better Splinter Twin run around standard.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Better Splinter Twin

It's a lot of things but this is probably not one of them

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

InterrupterJones posted:

For all those questioning any semblance of a control resurgence and those naysaying cycling/Haven as a strategy in general, I at least think Seth Manfield is on the right track with this build.

If those decks were good, they wouldn't be posted online by a pro player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Eikre posted:

It should also be noted that rarity as a balancing mechanic is indispensable design tech which they have successfully integrated with Limited, along with the pack-cracking, jank-brewing conceits originally envisioned for how the game would be played.

They just needed time to codify these conceits as actual game rules instead of leaning on implicit circumstances, and then get some practice with crafting a block for it.

Oh yeah, Rarity is a balancing mechanic for limited and that's fine, i meant more from a constructed stand-point with that statement since I don't think packs were made with limited in mind until...quite a while

• Locked thread