Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I'm looking at getting my dad a tablet for his birthday. He'd use it mainly for browsing the internet, e-mails, and watching videos (both saved and streamed).

Needed:

- Big screen (he's very nearsighted)
- Boots up quickly (he's not very patient)
- Big memory or expandable memory (he has a bunch of saved videos he'd like to carry around with him)
- Android (I won't say no if you tell me an iPad is the best bet, but he's bought a bunch of Android apps off the Play Store to use on his Android phone and being able to use them on the tablet would be good)

Not needed:

- Cellular connection (he'd use it over wi-fi for the most part)

Any suggestion is welcome! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

iPad

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Hi I'm looking for a somewhat specific thing.

An android tablet that doesn't weight a bunch, has preferably a 3:2 Aspect Ratio.

Will be used for heavy reading.
Doesn't necessarily need to be the newest poo poo.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Have you considered an e-reader if you're using it mostly for reading?

I don't think anything comes in 3:2. The closest I know of are 4:3, in which case there's Samsung Tab S2.

You're gonna have to clarify "doesn't weigh a bunch."

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

Have you considered an e-reader if you're using it mostly for reading?

I don't think anything comes in 3:2. The closest I know of are 4:3, in which case there's Samsung Tab S2.

You're gonna have to clarify "doesn't weigh a bunch."

Uh, well also reading comics I should have noted which use colour so the e-ink pages are out.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Cerepol posted:

Hi I'm looking for a somewhat specific thing.

An android tablet that doesn't weight a bunch, has preferably a 3:2 Aspect Ratio.

Will be used for heavy reading.
Doesn't necessarily need to be the newest poo poo.

Is there any reason it has to be Android? iPad Air 1, 2, or new iPad gives you a range of price, quality, and longevity.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Endless Mike posted:

I don't think anything comes in 3:2.

The Pixel C is pretty close.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

butt dickus posted:

The Pixel C is pretty close.

Huh, so it does.

I guess that's your option, OP.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone used one of the cheap Cherry Trail 2-in-1s? More specifically, there's the Chuwi hi10 for under $200 (if it's not caught by the customs) which ticks many of the boxes that I wanted for a travel companion. Almost disposable, 10", keyboard, real OS, reasonable specs. What it's missing for full happiness is the Core m and digitizer. The Chuwi hi12 has a digitizer but is at least $100 more expensive and 12". Nothing under $500 seems to have a Core m. Which wouldn't be a problem if I thought I'd put it to more use, so I'm pretty tempted to pull the trigger on the hi10 as-is.

E: after some more research, looks like the Cube Mix Plus is exactly what I'm looking for - Kaby m3 and Wacom digitizer in 10.6" form-factor. Also by far the cheapest core m option, though still quite a bit more that I'd want to spen, but perhaps there would be some deals on it soon.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 20, 2017

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
If I just want something to run Kodi and nothing else (some 1080p videos, mostly 720p), is a used Kindle Fire the most cost-effective way to go? 7" is totally fine for screen size and since I won't be using it for anything other than streaming from my server, storage space isn't an issue either. For $29 used it seems hard to beat.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I may be confused about what Kodi does, but isn't it for playing local videos? I imagine the small storage space on the Fire would be a big issue for that

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

I may be confused about what Kodi does, but isn't it for playing local videos? I imagine the small storage space on the Fire would be a big issue for that

It would stream from my local server, storage space isn't a thing at all.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Should be fine for that I imagine. Just keep in mind the screen isn't even 720p.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
are there any cheap tablets that can take sd cards?

It'd be cool to be able to load up some MKVs on an SD for a flight or whatever but otherwise wouldn't need much processing power - just an ability to use netflix etc when on wifi

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta

maskenfreiheit posted:

are there any cheap tablets that can take sd cards?

It'd be cool to be able to load up some MKVs on an SD for a flight or whatever but otherwise wouldn't need much processing power - just an ability to use netflix etc when on wifi

Amazon Fire Tablets take SD cards up to 200GB

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

crazkylo posted:

What if I went for $200-250 on just the portfolio tablet? I can work on getting the other one once my wallet has had a little bit of time to recover.

I prefer Android because I am more familiar with its OS

Nook HD+,9" IPS 1080P screen, $40-$50ish used on ebay.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

clockworx posted:

Nook HD+,9" IPS 1080P screen, $40-$50ish used on ebay.

It's a massive pain to actually use one of these. So slow and janky. If you're going old and cheap and slow but nice screen, a Nexus 10 is probably the worst/oldest I'd recommend, and it's pretty slow at this point.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

RVProfootballer posted:

It's a massive pain to actually use one of these. So slow and janky. If you're going old and cheap and slow but nice screen, a Nexus 10 is probably the worst/oldest I'd recommend, and it's pretty slow at this point.

I would normally agree, but it sounds he's just using it to do a slideshow. It should be more than enough for that.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

clockworx posted:

I would normally agree, but it sounds he's just using it to do a slideshow. It should be more than enough for that.

Hmm, you might be right, I think I was mistaking it for someone asking about reading on it.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I've got a Shield K1, and just got a microSD card to use in it. Should I format that thing as internal storage, or just let it be?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Bieeardo posted:

I've got a Shield K1, and just got a microSD card to use in it. Should I format that thing as internal storage, or just let it be?

Let it be

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Thanks!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
This little Fire is a pretty nifty device! It showed up today, got everything updated and Kodi installed. 720p videos play without a hitch, once I get it hooked up to my shared Kodi library I'll test out 1080p, but I really don't have a ton of 1080p content so if it stutters, oh well :shrug: For $26 used I'm pretty happy with my portable video screen :)

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

My 2012 Nexus 7 is on its way to heaven. I've been using my wife's laptop for streaming PSVue in the garage quite a bit and I'm hooked, but I don't need a super powered laptop for it - would something like a chromebook fill the streaming niche on a budget? I think I'm over the tablet form factor unless you guys have better ideas.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
I recently purchased a Chuwi Hi8 Pro tablet for my race car to use as a dashboard. Worked fantastic, until it didnt 3 days later and shorted out the USB port. So now I am looking to get the exact specs in a new tablet that isnt a $90 piece of poo poo

Must have:
Must be 8" or less
1920x1200 minimum resolution
Must have USB on the go or two USB ports. USB3 a plus but not required. I have to be able to use a hub to charge and hookup my racecar's ECU
Must run windows 10
Must be X64/86 based so I can run my Holley EFI app

I was so loving happy with this dang Chuwang's display and performance for my requirements. What are my options?

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
Ok this is maybe a really dumb question but I'm not near any good physical storefront but I'd like to pick up the newest iPad Air 2 replacement. The problem is i have no idea how to search for one on Amazon. Everything I've seen just calls it iPad maybe 5th generation but if there's a model number to search for or something that'd help a lot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Holybat posted:

Ok this is maybe a really dumb question but I'm not near any good physical storefront but I'd like to pick up the newest iPad Air 2 replacement. The problem is i have no idea how to search for one on Amazon. Everything I've seen just calls it iPad maybe 5th generation but if there's a model number to search for or something that'd help a lot.

Just search "iPad 2017" but keep in mind Amazon doesn't actually sell iPads, so they're all through resellers.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Is there any decent tablet around 8", 3gb ram, expandable storage, $~125ish, and gets updates or good XDA support?

edit: or maybe get a Nexus 9? Or get a used Nexus 7 actually

E2M2 fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 8, 2017

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

E2M2 posted:

Is there any decent tablet around 8", 3gb ram, expandable storage, $~125ish, and gets updates or good XDA support?

edit: or maybe get a Nexus 9? Or get a used Nexus 7 actually

I'm keeping an eye on that Lenovo tab 4 pro, looks like it might be good but no reviews/release just yet. Suppose to be available later this month.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Chillyrabbit posted:

I'm keeping an eye on that Lenovo tab 4 pro, looks like it might be good but no reviews/release just yet. Suppose to be available later this month.

Wow those specs look good. But what do the Pros run at? Reads like the plain Jane ones are at that $125~ MSRP

edit: looks like the Plus is $200 and $250. 2gb might be enough for me though at $110

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don't buy a used Nexus 7 in 2017.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 51 minutes!
I recently find myself playing more and more mobile games on Android instead of traditional Windows pc games, especially since I got my new phone. But I find the screen too small for longer gaming sessions. Is there something nice and not too expensive with good gaming performance plus a decent screen and speakers ?

I checked if I can get a Nvidia Shield K1 around here, but had no luck. What are my alternatives ? I don't plan to do anything but late night couch gaming and maybe watching some vids with it, so I don't necessarily want to go anywhere into Ipad Pro price ranges. Usage will mostly be at home, so battery life is no issue.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
K1 seems like the best bang for your buck really, but they go out of stock all the time.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
FWIW, I posted this in the Android Tablet thread. And I'm still more than happy with it.

I dont really do any mobile gaming, so no idea what performance is like there. Though if anyone is interested I could maybe try some specific games.

MeKeV posted:

I've ordered a Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Plus 10. Does this make me terrible or cool?

MeKeV posted:

Welp, I'm surprisingly impressed with this thing! I havent got a massive amount of tablet experience to compare it to, Nexus 7 mk1 that I never really used, and some 8inch Toshiba windows tablet that was a waste of time.

Battery life is excellent, battery was at about 85% out of the box mid day Friday, a couple of system updates when I first turned it on, about 5 hours of onscreen time over the weekend including installing all my apps and set up. Was down to it's last few percent Monday morning. All with auto brightness turned on, wifi and bluetooth on the whole time.

Screen is nice, though as I say not a lot to compare it to. I was expecting the whole thing to feel bigger than it does, having the 10inch screen. But it's a great size for me, and comfortable to hold one handed with the battery "pipe". Though I've never agreed with the "7-8inch tablet is the best tablet", as it never seemed different enough to make me use the tablet over my phone. 10inch is great for Photos, and Snapseed. And it's working nicely with Plex so far.

Seems not significantly less responsive than my Pixel in normal use, plenty happy with the speed initially. Whether I get some slow downs with more use remains to be seen.

I'm hesitant to recommend it though, as Lenovo's track record suggests no more updates ever, to be stuck on the 6.0.1 (February 2017 security patch) that it's on now. There's not a lot of Lenovo specific things on it though, it's almost stock android bar a couple of uninstallable apps, and the home app.

Note this is all based on the refresh model which has 3GB of RAM and I think a Snapdragon 652, there are older versions with the same terrible name AFAIK, and also a none PLUS version.

EDIT - So since last full charge this thing has been powered on but not used a great deal (~4hrs screen on time) and it's at 14 DAYS 12hrs with 27% battery left!

I've nothing recent to compare with, but that's pretty drat good right?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 51 minutes!
Well in the end I went for the costly option....

The Nvidia K1 is next to impossible to find in continental Europe, except for a crummy store in the UK with bad ratings.

The other option was the Asus Zenpad 3S 10. That looked really nice and the gaming videos I saw were good too. But it still runs Marshmallow and there's no word from Asus if it will ever get Nougat. Also the hardware on board is a mid-range chip from 2015, the Mediatek MT8176 and PowerVR GX6250 with only Dx 10.

There's a newer version of the Zenpad with a Snapdragon 650 and an Adreno 510, while the Adreno 510 looks better in benchmarks, the gaming performance seems to be almost the same. This version always comes with LTE, which I don't need on a device which I will only use at home.

The Snapdragon 650 with Adreno 510 is also the same combo used in the Yoga. So either that or the Snapdragon Zenpad would have been the reasonable choice.

Thing is, I saw Samsung's Amoled on my S8 and it's simply fantastic for videos and gaming. Ultimately the Amoled screen, pre-installed Nougat and the beefier cpu/gpu made me pick the significantly more expensive S3. Just played Asphalt 8 and Galactic Heroes and am perfectly happy.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Endless Mike posted:

Don't buy a used Nexus 7 in 2017.

If I could buy a new one, I would.

On a timeframe-related note, I recently inherited a barely-used iPad Mini 2nd gen, so between that and my Nexus 7 2nd gen I am fully stocked when it comes to 2013 technology. The N7 has held up very well for me other than its charging port going bad -- how is the Mini going to compare with modern apps?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So I have a Surface 2 (not pro 2), and while the lack of apps doesn't bother me, the performance is starting to get worse. I pretty much only use it for web browsing and watching videos, so lack of apps isn't really a huge issue for me. Should I just get a Surface 4 Pro or should I look into an iPad/Android?

I really don't know a ton about tablets, I just want something that will let me shitpost in bed more efficiently.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Well my Surface 4 arrived today, but it wont turn on.

Cant say this is a great first impression. I'm gonna let it charge overnight, and if doesn't turn on, I'm gonna take it to the nearest Microsoft store

Edit: it eventually turned on

God, this thing is huge compared to my surface 2

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 20, 2017

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

They're supposedly announcing the successor next week, so keep an eye out on your return policy if you want to return it. Good chance the SP5 will go on sale everywhere after it's announced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Is the 2017 iPad worth upgrading from an Air 1? I'd be perfectly happy with my 32GB Air 1 if not for the limited RAM causing browser tabs and apps to be reloaded.

I've been hearing some criticisms of the display, but are those display issues something I'd notice if coming from the Air 1?