Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

God I wish a situation where Joker needed to use items happened more often. I loving love that finger snap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

I don't know why you'd throw out one of your most polished and most central systems when it's currently the best it's ever been. It has heaps of design space left, especially if you decouple them from the Major Arcana.

I think social links are going to stay around because they're one of the pillars of the series at this point. If people want the RPG dungeon crawling without the life sim parts, that's what SMT is for (and, also, SMT owns and if anyone here is new to the series with Persona 5, go play SMT4/Apocalypse and Nocturne when you're done).

I do hope they branch out to other settings, though. As it stands, Persona 2: Eternal Punishment is the only Persona game where your protagonist isn't a high school student. It'd be cool to try out other things. Either go for a university setting like some have suggested, or go crazy, like make the protagonist an actual grown-up detective who naturally has to hang out with a wide variety of people to solve this impossible-to-solve supernatural crime and has to struggle with the fact that they know it's supernatural but can't prove it.

Or, hell, do a Persona spin-off title. SMT4 Apocalypse is cool as a spin-off to SMT4. What if we got a follow-up to Persona 5 that directly follows up Persona 5's story but from a very different perspective? It'd let them reuse a ton of assets, including environment assets, while making a whole new game, just like Apocalypse did with SMT4.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The only thing I'm really sad about with Persona 5 is that the school trip wasn't to Inaba.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
With so many key personnel moving to Studio Zero to work on Re Fantasy I'm a little uneasy about the prospects of Persona 6. Anything could happen really at this point.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Harrow posted:

I think social links are going to stay around because they're one of the pillars of the series at this point. If people want the RPG dungeon crawling without the life sim parts, that's what SMT is for (and, also, SMT owns and if anyone here is new to the series with Persona 5, go play SMT4/Apocalypse and Nocturne when you're done).

I do hope they branch out to other settings, though. As it stands, Persona 2: Eternal Punishment is the only Persona game where your protagonist isn't a high school student. It'd be cool to try out other things. Either go for a university setting like some have suggested, or go crazy, like make the protagonist an actual grown-up detective who naturally has to hang out with a wide variety of people to solve this impossible-to-solve supernatural crime and has to struggle with the fact that they know it's supernatural but can't prove it.

Or, hell, do a Persona spin-off title. SMT4 Apocalypse is cool as a spin-off to SMT4. What if we got a follow-up to Persona 5 that directly follows up Persona 5's story but from a very different perspective? It'd let them reuse a ton of assets, including environment assets, while making a whole new game, just like Apocalypse did with SMT4.

I'm not really sure SMT4A qualifies as a spinoff... it's basically "This is SMT5, but it's tied even closer than usual (and in fact starts partway during SMT4), so we'll call it SMT4A instead".

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I just finished the first place and my stats are still pretty low, proficiency is the only thing I have up to level 2 iirc.

What are the best early ways to up this? I'd like to get up Guts and Charm; and I want to hit on the cute punk doctor.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

RealFoxy posted:

I just finished the first place and my stats are still pretty low, proficiency is the only thing I have up to level 2 iirc.

What are the best early ways to up this? I'd like to get up Guts and Charm; and I want to hit on the cute punk doctor.

Eat burgers and bathe.

(If anything, having anything at level 2 at that point is actually rather impressive)

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Captain Oblivious posted:

With so many key personnel moving to Studio Zero to work on Re Fantasy I'm a little uneasy about the prospects of Persona 6. Anything could happen really at this point.

I'm more excited for Re Fantasy BECAUSE it seems they moved all the talent to a new IP and I'm excited to see how it turns out

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Supremezero posted:

I'm not really sure SMT4A qualifies as a spinoff... it's basically "This is SMT5, but it's tied even closer than usual (and in fact starts partway during SMT4), so we'll call it SMT4A instead".

Yeah, that's fair. I think I counted it as that because it seems basically interwoven with SMT4 and, well, has "Shin Megami Tensei IV" in its title.

Basically I think doing something like that for Persona 5 would be a good way to do something different with the Persona formula without making the official "Persona 6" a huge departure or something. Also a good way to reuse a ton of assets for a new Persona game.

Either way I'm assuming we're going to see all the demon models they made for Persona 5 showing up again, probably in the Switch SMT game and hopefully in another SMT spin-off or two on PS4/Switch/whatever.

Frankly I wouldn't be hugely surprised if we don't see Persona 6 until the next console generation anyway. Persona 3 and 4 releasing so close to one another was kind of an anomaly for any of Atlus's non-Etrian series.

Hell, maybe Studio Zero's next project after their fantasy game will be Persona 6. They explicitly named their studio after the Fool Arcana, after all.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Lakbay posted:

I haven't played them, but if you removed s.links wouldn't the game just be SMT but with a high school protagonist

Tokyo Mirage Sessions

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I'm imagining Mara flopping about in all the tv screens at the nintendo store in manhattan

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Late to the party on this, but for the Hawaii trip, my Confidants were as follows:

Priestess 8
Emperor 3
Lovers 3
Chariot 6
Temperance 8
Moon 6 or 7
Star 3

I said I liked smart girls, and my choices for who to spend my last bit of free time with were Makoto, Hifumi and Ryuji. Picked Makoto, ate garlic shrimp, watched the sunset, had the best time.

I hope this data was useful for helping determine how the game decides who your options for the Hawaii date are.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Harrow posted:

Either way I'm assuming we're going to see all the demon models they made for Persona 5 showing up again, probably in the Switch SMT game and hopefully in another SMT spin-off or two on PS4/Switch/whatever.

Raidou 3. C'mon Atlus, make it happen.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Is there a mod to change every instance of "adults" to "capitalists" yet?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

If you hold on, life won't change.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Time is infinite. There will definitely be a Persona 6. Someday. Perhaps even in my lifetime.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Persona 6 where the protagonist lives a well adjusted life with two loving parents until a sentient baby shows up in a tuxedo and recruits him to stop Odin from dropping a meteor on Neo Tokyo.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lakbay posted:

I turned on subtitles from the very beginning but there's stuff in anime cutscenes they completely forgot to subtitle.

The first time is the news report Sae and the SIU Director are watching and they didn't subtitle the report even though it's the focus of the entire cutscene, but Sae and the director have subtitles still

Much later on they also forget to subtitle a news report that's a plot dump and the focus of a cutscene and then even later they forgot to subtitle Ryuji's dialog while everyone else had subs

I'm playing with JP voices and I only really understood what was going on by listening really hard. It was good practice.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Frankly I wouldn't be hugely surprised if we don't see Persona 6 until the next console generation anyway. Persona 3 and 4 releasing so close to one another was kind of an anomaly for any of Atlus's non-Etrian series.

Atlus has a relatively quick development time on follow-up games using the same engine. DDS, Devil Survivor, Devil Summoner, and SMT IV all got their respective sequels in less than three years, as well as P3->P4.

If they went back to randomly-generated dungeons using a modified version of Mementos and kept the setting in Tokyo I could see us getting another PS4 SMT game of some sort pretty soon.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
No way you get it before Persona 5 : Ultimate Dancing At The Q Arena

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Saint Freak posted:

Give me Persona 4 Arena Ultimax Reloaded, now with P5 characters.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Saint Freak posted:

Starting LeBron James

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
i just wanna be a magic japanese salaryman and spend all my evenings getting hella drunk

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Give me Mara Kart

Mara Party or Mara Tennis will also do nicely. Really, just more screaming dick-chariot please

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Re Fantasy is supposed to be traditional fantasy right? I hope they have something similar to s.links so I can have a cute dwarf waifu since Dragon Age Inquisition blueballed you on that

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Atlus has a relatively quick development time on follow-up games using the same engine. DDS, Devil Survivor, Devil Summoner, and SMT IV all got their respective sequels in less than three years, as well as P3->P4.

If they went back to randomly-generated dungeons using a modified version of Mementos and kept the setting in Tokyo I could see us getting another PS4 SMT game of some sort pretty soon.

We are getting an SMT game relatively soon. It's on the Switch.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Lakbay posted:

Re Fantasy is supposed to be traditional fantasy right? I hope they have something similar to s.links so I can have a cute dwarf waifu since Dragon Age Inquisition blueballed you on that
Hopefully not too traditional. Hopefully it'll be weird enough to be worthwhile.

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy
How's my pacing? I am on October 22nd (roughly 60 hours in), and my dude is level 45. I've heard the game ends on December 24th, so I'm worried I won't have enough time to complete a few more social links or be able to fuse Satan or any of the other badass lvl 70+ personas.

I'm just surprised how much this game keeps you on rails (or generally pisses away days for incremental story progression) compared to Persona 3 or 4.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

when I see that trailer I can't help but think of the initial Wii U SMTxFire Emblem trailer which was entirely unlike what we got. Like, I know there'll eventually be something but I have no idea what or when.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Necronomoticon posted:

How's my pacing? I am on October 22nd (roughly 60 hours in), and my dude is level 45. I've heard the game ends on December 24th, so I'm worried I won't have enough time to complete a few more social links or be able to fuse Satan or any of the other badass lvl 70+ personas.

I'm just surprised how much this game keeps you on rails (or generally pisses away days for incremental story progression) compared to Persona 3 or 4.

You're forgetting that Persona 3 and 4 ate entire weeks at a time with some events. P5 is much more generous with its available time, especially with Confidants giving stat points.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually, I rather imagine Deep Strange Journey will be out first, so the next SMT game is on the 3DS.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Necronomoticon posted:

You need to max out Strength and Sun if you want the top stuff.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Harrow posted:

I generally really like how well-integrated the S. Links and main story are this time around. I like when confidants occasionally show up during the main story, like when you need to call a doctor for Futaba, and how being a Phantom Thief lets you help them all, too.

Also, I don't remember clearly: did social link characters cross over into each others' links much in Persona 3 and 4? Like the scene where you run into Hifumi while book shopping with Makoto was pretty funny and I enjoyed Joker's reaction when Makoto claimed he was only there to hold her books, or when you go fishing with Ryuji and Kawakami is the master. Gaining 3 points with each after saying, "Call her MASTER Kawakami" made me laugh a whole lot.

Before that moment fishing, I was uncertain as to whether or not I should pursue the MASTER, Kawakami.

After that moment, I knew that my priorities were straight and my cause just. And wow, it really is a well-written S.Link that gives her a complete character arc from the moment you interact with her before attending Shujin. It really explains why she's reluctant to take on the 'bad students' with terrible reputations because of her guilt over the one time she really tried to help. Her chance encounter with you really is what turns it all around.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

when I see that trailer I can't help but think of the initial Wii U SMTxFire Emblem trailer which was entirely unlike what we got. Like, I know there'll eventually be something but I have no idea what or when.
Even after watching all the later trailers and some reviews I still don't feel like I know what TMS is. Is it more like SMT? Like Persona? Like Catherine? How strong is the characterisation compared to Persona/Catherine? When all's said and done, should I play it?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I did a dumb thing and missed the trip to the maid cafe (late May/early June spoiler)
Am I doomed? Can I get there eventually again?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NRVNQSR posted:

Even after watching all the later trailers and some reviews I still don't feel like I know what TMS is. Is it more like SMT? Like Persona? Like Catherine? How strong is the characterisation compared to Persona/Catherine? When all's said and done, should I play it?

It's a a straight dungeon crawler. Skills are learned FF9-style from crafted weapons, and there are side-stories with your teammates. There are no specific days like Persona, time passes on story events like a regular JRPG.

It also has sick J-Pop performances and yes you should play it.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

tote up a bags posted:

I did a dumb thing and missed the trip to the maid cafe (late May/early June spoiler)
Am I doomed? Can I get there eventually again?

I'm in the same boat. I didn't even realize that was A Thing.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
I don't remember any explicit trips to that with other confidants, but you can go there again in your free time when you unlock the ability to travel to Akihabara

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're forgetting that Persona 3 and 4 ate entire weeks at a time with some events. P5 is much more generous with its available time, especially with Confidants giving stat points.

It's more generous and Temperance/Fortune help, but it's also made up for by much fewer opportunities to gain SL points during story events. The stat gating is also more prominent in 5, whereas for 4 the only really notable ones are Naoto, Shu, and I think Nanako/Dojima at a certain point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Seventh Palace The mouse mazes were cute. I'm gonna assume most people hated them though?