Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Nina posted:

I'm sad that nobody got a dadNier costume

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

HellCopter posted:

Are there any stories left to tell in the Drakengard universe?

Oh please like that ever stopped Yoko Taro before.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Why didn't 9S get Emil's outfit? That seems like a missed opportunity.

Rangpur posted:

the fight against Red Eye & the Legion
Does this have any correlation with the Machines and Androids going ape-poo poo when they get red eyes?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I just dedicated my last 5 days to this game. And it was really great. I am so glad that this exists. The start of route C really got me.

Also, 2Bs alternate outfit looks really cool. I love future battle armor.

Augus posted:

Oh please like that ever stopped Yoko Taro before.

Yeah. This game is set millennia after the previous one after all. And we know how that ended.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

RanKizama posted:

Does this have any correlation with the Machines and Androids going ape-poo poo when they get red eyes?

Might do, but Red Eye was a singular entity, the leader of the Legion.

E: There's that theory that the aliens and machine cores being plant-like indicates they're another thing sent by the God of Drakengard to wipe out humanity. Or possibly, since humanity's already gone, to clean up the leftover androids and serve as God's ideal replacement. And Eve gets a symbol that looks a hell of a lot like the Cult of the Watchers on his chest when he goes mad.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 17, 2017

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Dabir posted:

Might do, but Red Eye was a singular entity, the leader of the Legion.

E: There's that theory that the aliens and machine cores being plant-like indicates they're another thing sent by the God of Drakengard to wipe out humanity. Or possibly, since humanity's already gone, to clean up the leftover androids and serve as God's ideal replacement. And Eve gets a symbol that looks a hell of a lot like the Cult of the Watchers on his chest when he goes mad.
I get a real kick out of imagining Taro and company sitting around, just throwing as much random cross-game poo poo into a title. Then they just wait and let the fans come up with a plethora of theories before Taro sees one he really likes and just says, "Yeah, that one." before the next game goes into development.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I unlocked fast travel and this game got EVEN BETTER.

Did somebody say there is an upskirt cheevo? This game is so self-aware.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Look Sir Droids posted:

I unlocked fast travel and this game got EVEN BETTER.

Did somebody say there is an upskirt cheevo? This game is so self-aware.
Yeah. Work your camera to look up 2B's skirt a few times to get your creeper achieve. There's one for 9S as well if you enjoy playing with no pants on like I do.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

RanKizama posted:

Mayhap. There's a lot of little touches that function as callbacks to the past games, but interpretations vary.

So far as I know the only definitive source is Grimoire Nier, which was only published in Japan. It has a lot of gaps, especially as it applies to other games, but it does pretty clearly lay out how they got from Drakengard ending E to the original Nier. Short version is, when you get bits of powdered god caught in your sinuses you either turn into salt or a horrible monster. At some point the latter got organized under a dude called 'Red Eyes' (implied to be Caim, the protagonist of the first game) and start loving things up even more than they already were.

Things have to get pretty dire before 'let's separate everyone's body and soul for a couple thousand years so we can get this poo poo sorted' starts to seem like the smart play, you know?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

RanKizama posted:

Don't worry about it. There isn't really any meaning to anything the machines do.

I feel like for the machines the excuse is really gonna be that they just found that stuff in human data and ended up incorporating it in a way that seemed right to them without actually knowing the meaning.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

RanKizama posted:

Yeah. Work your camera to look up 2B's skirt a few times to get your creeper achieve. There's one for 9S as well if you enjoy playing with no pants on like I do.

You'll know when you're doing it wrong right cause 2B will look around and jump back. Make her do that ten times and you get the achievement.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Nina posted:

Don't worry about it. There isn't really any meaning to anything the machines do.

I feel like for the machines the excuse is really gonna be that they just found that stuff in human data and ended up incorporating it in a way that seemed right to them without actually knowing the meaning.

Right, but that's the boring answer. People like the idea of wild off the wall answers that might play into a future game.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Fangz posted:

Right, but that's the boring answer. People like the idea of wild off the wall answers that might play into a future game.

The way Taroverse canon works the true answer that carries over into a future game isn't probably even in the game. Remember that pretty much everything from the first Nier that ends up being actually relevant is stuff like novellas and cd dramas.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Yoko Taro just really likes red eyes as a sign of turning evil.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I mean even Square-Enix CEO Yosuke Matsuda is a red eye in the new DLC

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Nina posted:

I'm sad that nobody got a dadNier costume

I was certain 9s was going to get it.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Bholder posted:

Yoko Taro just really likes red eyes as a sign of turning evil.
As far as basic signalling goes "the eyes are the window into the soul and just started glowing with a flashingly aggressive color" is at least more intuitive than evil stuff turning everything purple

and also true for evil locked doors vs benevolent unlocked green doors!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

RanKizama posted:

Grapplejack posted:

I was certain 9s was going to get it.

Nah, he is 100% bro-Nier in terms of arc.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

and dad nier is just a little too shirtless for 2B or A2

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

I dunno. If the strap placement is strategic enough...

Joking aside I hope they go all out designing interesting combat scenarios. They said it wouldn't be just brawling so I'm hoping for interesting experimental stuff VR Missions style.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

"I wanted to have the Papa Nier skin available to A2 and 2B only, but I was told it would result in the age rating changing to CERO Z/AO, which was unacceptable. By way of apology then, please enjoy beating the poo poo out of Matsuda-san, for crushing our dreams. Also Sato-san, because he didn't fight for this as hard as I'd hoped he would, the treacherous bastard." - Yoko Taro, probably.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

They'll give Dad-Nier's outfit to Pascal

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rhonne posted:

They'll give Dad-Nier's outfit to Pascal

That's what I was thinking.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I am glad this means we can recreate the t shirt video ingame

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

given how little kaine's outfit leaves to the imagination,

Nina posted:

I dunno. If the strap placement is strategic enough...

would not surprise me even a little bit

I am moderately amused that the same DLC that takes away all of 2B's remaining clothing gives A2 more, though

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'm thinking of doing a nier automata loss edit.

someone talk me out of this

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Fangz posted:

I'm thinking of doing a nier automata loss edit.

someone talk me out of this

Why would we?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/plazablueage/status/850948631100354560

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
The secret Colliseum battle will be Business Division VI as plain named robots.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Blattdorf posted:

The secret Colliseum battle will be Business Division VI as plain named robots.

that's a weird way of spelling 'Caim and Angelus'

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

You get papa Nier's outfit if you use self-destruct while wearing Keine's outfit. The integer overflow causes you to loop back around to being fully dressed in the starving hobo garb he's wearing in the very beginning of the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rangpur posted:

You get papa Nier's outfit if you use self-destruct while wearing Keine's outfit. The integer overflow causes you to loop back around to being fully dressed in the starving hobo garb he's wearing in the very beginning of the game.

Finally, a reason to do an entire run of the game using the iron pipe!

Also, I got a new avatar and I like it a lot

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
hey thread, I bought this based on word of mouth and I'm hungry to try it out but the game freezes during the first boss battle. GeForce 780 & intel i5, I googled around and apparently this is fairly widespread. Anyone know of a fix out there?

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
https://twitter.com/NieRGame/status/854092309461295105

New hair colors are a thing. I am okay with this. Makes me wonder what else is unlocked in the coliseum

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RanKizama posted:

Makes me wonder what else is unlocked in the coliseum

we found verdelet's hair!

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

RanKizama posted:

New hair colors are a thing. I am okay with this. Makes me wonder what else is unlocked in the coliseum

Kaine's DLC outfit :raise:

Suddenly I realize how much nicer 2B's original dress is and at least A2 got pants. The total price is $15 which feels a bit expensive but cosmetics.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Apparently the DLCs name is "3C3C1D119440927" (odd number of 15 hex digits, so i guess it's 1 buck per digit), because of course it is

and i'm extremely extremely sad that's not actually a valid steam code

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 18, 2017

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Translate "3C3C1D119440927" to Angelic
Now look at the palm of your hand and discover there's a new line.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Alder posted:

Kaine's DLC outfit :raise:

Suddenly I realize how much nicer 2B's original dress is and at least A2 got pants. The total price is $15 which feels a bit expensive but cosmetics.

2B's design is interesting since it's incredibly fanservicey, but it works in a way a lot of similar designs don't. It's distinctive, it suits her character, and it's clearly integrated into the rest of the world's aesthetic. There's a touch of class to go with the excellent rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

RanKizama posted:

Even the cheesy battle arena DLC has that Taro touch at the end, lol fighting middle-aged Japanese businessmen is going to lead into a tear-jerking monologue about the fragility of life in the face of a ceaseless lust for death that lurks inside every one of us or some poo poo.