Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

Funny how right at the time you grew up the children became wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMqZ2PPOLik

are you implying i am wrong because i am a child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
did you see the celtics lost to the bulls? ugh wtf

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

fart simpson posted:

Funny how right at the time you grew up the children became wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMqZ2PPOLik

You know you can actually find poo poo from monks hundreds of years ago complaining about the printing press making books not special anymore and ruining future generations cuz people would be READING ARGHGH

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

fart simpson posted:

I think if you care about logical consistency and good arguments you would have been disappointed 10 years ago and also 20 years ago and also 30 years ago. You're just paying attention to it now and maybe the specific form of bad argument has changed over time but when exactly do you think normal people and the news etc were basing their political opinions on actual critical reasoning?

It's this.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

fart simpson posted:

Everyone here is fat.

And gay.

You dirty rat bastard...

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I don't disagree with him, it's just that my original thing had to do with PC culture, which is actually a thing now, it had nothing to do with political arguments 20 years ago.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Grats to autismo for becoming a breitbart schill, I hear it pays p well.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Stringent posted:

Grats to autismo for becoming a breitbart schill, I hear it pays p well.

gotta support the fam, u feel me

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Probably not, I live with mine.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Stringent posted:

lol

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

:iceburn:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

By the way, if you're actually curious why people are saying your arguments about PC culture are coming from privilege, it's probably because the current cultural climate is probably the first time in a really really long time that you and I, as white men, have a chance at having our opinions and views discounted based solely on our identity, whereas basically everyone who wasn't a white man has had to deal with that for a long time. I don't really like identity politics much either, but the past wasn't necessarily a time when arguments were judged on their own merit either. A lot of the people who are freaking out over this stuff seem to be white dudes who are arguing more from a position of fear of losing the little intrinsic power they had over others. No matter what arguments you make, you're likely gonna get lumped in with that group.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

fart simpson posted:

No matter what arguments you make, you're likely gonna get lumped in with that group.

That's the problem really. I don't necessarily see it as a good thing that people are being told to shut up because of their race/ethnicity, even if that race it caucasian, because it sets a bad precedent. I think that if said white people are legitimately just trying to stifle conversation with their opinions then there will be plenty of other ways that their view can be countered with logic, etc.

At a base level the whole thing that we should be fighting against is lumping people unnecessarily into groups and ascribing said groups negative attributes to all members indiscriminately.

"Other people had to deal with it for a long time so you should suffer now" is a pretty lovely position, though I can certainly understand where it comes from. It's just not a really positive step in my mind. Also it's annoying for me personally because I've spent 10 years as a minority in Japan, a lot of it living very well outside the expat bubble, including a lot of organizations and gatherings where I was the only non-Japanese or non-Asian.

Like I know/know of people who are non-Japanese ethically but grew up totally in Japan (using Japan as an example here because it's what I know but I'm sure there are similar people in many places), going to Japanese schools, sometimes bullied to the point of self harm and suicide. I'm sure there are still people who would deny they were minorities and deny their voice and opinions solely based on the color of their skin.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LimburgLimbo posted:

At a base level the whole thing that we should be fighting against is lumping people unnecessarily into groups and ascribing said groups negative attributes to all members indiscriminately.

this guy gets it

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

The Great Autismo! posted:

It's hard for me to take anyone seriously who only mentions "privilege" when talking about a wall of text. It is so embarrassingly and intellectually lazy and doesn't actually bring up a single point. The majority of the talking points I brought up were made before by a Lebanese immigrant in Canada who fled Lebanon during the Lebanese Civil War. You should shoot Gad Saad a tweet and tell him his viewpoints reek of privilege. I'm sure he'd love to hear from you.

you do realize it was me who posted that right?

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
i have unpopular opininos and piggyback on others so they take the blam instead of me lol

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Ceciltron posted:

Since I came back from China, I've chosen to go back to my home. I live and work in a community that is, perhaps, at most 20,000 people. Frankly, if you're using Facebook to identify with your neighbours, you've missed the entire point. Small towns function on word of mouth and facial recognition. Anything else is loving Up Severely.

It's a bit weird for me because I run an escape room business now and most of my customers are, like, really friendly and awesome people. But I've had to unfollow or unfriend almost everyone I knew before coming to China on social media because they've all become insufferable.

The Great Autismo! posted:

I don't disagree with him, it's just that my original thing had to do with PC culture, which is actually a thing now, it had nothing to do with political arguments 20 years ago.

I don't actually think it's "pc culture" so much as a resurgence of puritanical behavior. It's extremely FUN to vilify and demean other people, especially if you can yell at them from some unassailable moral high ground. I've heard grandads who were Red Guards talk about how much fun it was to beat up their teachers and stuff. I can sympathize because as a kid I somehow learned that teachers were my enemies and didn't really figure out they were just dudes like me until I became a teacher and found myself acting like them, then had to step back and develop better strategies and stuff to actually enjoy my job and make it fun for students.

Anyway my point is it's kind of awesome to be like "this person is a giant piece of poo poo" and poo poo on them and everyone seems to be broadcasting that all the time because they are addicted to the chemical release. PC Culture is just corporate culture, and it is largely there for legal reasons, but a lot of people have interpreted these corporate norms as some sort of moral absolutism and it's causing a lot of confusion.

Because rules meant to prevent employers from being exposed to litigation aren't really supposed to be applied to stand up comedy? Because taking extreme to offense to someone's use of a word isn't a good way of building relationships with allies?

This is my interpretation anyway. My observation of Millennials is that they seem to be the first generation of Americans that had far less fun than the one before them, almost on purpose. It's like nobody taught them 70% of Vietnam War protest attendees were just trying to hook up, and not serious claiming to sexually identify as a Dreadnought Class Star Destroyer.

bad day fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 17, 2017

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Like, I know this guy who's totally awesome but he's a big fat neckbeard and has big fat neckbeard health and esteem problems that would mostly be solved by him eating less bullshit and being slightly less fat. But because he was born 15 years too late now he thinks he has gender dysphoria and is really a woman or third gender or something and it's just sad to watch. I certainly won't ever tell him what I think though, or anyone else who knows him. I don't want trouble.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Where do they sell Darlie toothpaste in Shanghai?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Busy Bee posted:

Where do they sell Darlie toothpaste in Shanghai?

Did darlie stop being ubiquitous while I was gone?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Put a sock in it, cracker.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

bad day posted:

Like, I know this guy who's totally awesome but he's a big fat neckbeard and has big fat neckbeard health and esteem problems that would mostly be solved by him eating less bullshit and being slightly less fat. But because he was born 15 years too late now he thinks he has gender dysphoria and is really a woman or third gender or something and it's just sad to watch. I certainly won't ever tell him what I think though, or anyone else who knows him. I don't want trouble.

Uh I think gender dysphoria has existed for a long time, dude

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Yes because a great big fat bearded man's most likely problem is that he's really a great big fat bearded woman and changing this will fix him somehow.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

bad day posted:

Oh geez I had a friend just like this. The internet makes you stupid.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Red guard grand dads having fun beating teachers up?

Holy gently caress Henan get glassed. I used to feel bad about making fun of Henan but god drat it's a desolate place.

Same with North East China. All these communist bastions can be stuck in a economic recession

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

bad day posted:

Yes because a great big fat bearded man's most likely problem is that he's really a great big fat bearded woman and changing this will fix him somehow.

Maybe he has 2 problems?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

caberham posted:

Red guard grand dads having fun beating teachers up?

Holy gently caress Henan get glassed. I used to feel bad about making fun of Henan but god drat it's a desolate place.

Same with North East China. All these communist bastions can be stuck in a economic recession

uhm excuse me -NE China

kenner116
May 15, 2009
Gender identity during the Cultural Revolution sounds like an interesting subject actually.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Urban Dictionary defines "woke" as being aware, and "knowing what's going on in the community." It also mentions its specific ties to racism and social injustice. To use "woke" accurately in a sentence, one that captures its connotations and nuances, you'd need to reference someone who is thinking for themselves, who sees the ways in which racism, sexism and classism affect how we lives our lives on a daily basis. Or, alternatively, someone who doesn't. In which case you unfriend/unfollow/delete.

no see this is the stuff GBM is talking about, like people need to be so vigilant in their injustice-awareness and call out and shut down every infraction that they actually have a term for it that they wear like an armband and make it part of their identity

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
postmodernism isn't necessarily a bad lens to view things through SOMETIMES. but the people that view the actual world and all of their daily actions through a postmodernist prism are off the rails and annoying AF

signed,
a cis white male

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I consider myself a postmodernist but think that everyone's perspective (including mine) is equally useless.

So, like, my experience isn't more valid than yours, because nobody cares what you think either. Not really. Here, smoke this.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I guess that's called postnihilism.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Why pay attention to woke Twitter?

Woke Twitter brought down Bic in 2015 for their Women’s Day post and played a role in driving awareness of the Appletiser social media disaster. Conversations around #feesmustfall, racism, homophobia, transphobia and social justice are driven by woke Twitter, and this includes brand activities of all kinds. Whether it’s Marie Claire advertising an unpaid internship, a Woolworths branch featuring a half-complete Christmas display reminiscent of slave trains, or an Eskel Jawitz listing featuring an old South African flag on display in the lounge, brand reputations are on the line, online, every single day.

But, you might say, this is not our target audience, so why does it matter?

There are no Chinese walls between target audiences and channels. Twitter is now a prime source of content for mainstream news organisations, which means that any trending topic is likely to be given even greater coverage. What happens on Twitter definitely doesn’t stay on Twitter (or Facebook, for that matter, as Penny Sparrow knows only too well).

How do I assess creative work through the eyes of woke Twitter?

It helps to be familiar with the types of conversations happening online and the type of messages – deliberate or accidental – that are likely to push the wrong buttons. If you’re not, find someone who is. Pay attention to imagery, copy, and the interplay between the two. Could your ad be interpreted as victim-blaming? Are you being insensitive to racial nuances? (Appletiser, for example, made the mistake of referring to a black woman as a “brunette”.) If you’re not sure, don’t put work out into the public domain, even if it’s just a Facebook post.

Should I censor creative work now?

It’s important to understand that woke Twitter doesn’t have to like what you’re putting out – this is an audience that is skeptical of brand communication and dislikes most advertising on principle. Woke Twitter is never going to like ads that promote conventional gender roles, for example. It’s when there’s potential for outrage that brands have a problem. Avoid anything that can be construed as racism, sexism, homophobia or victim-blaming. Cultural appropriation is becoming more of an issue too; Woolworths recently removed a pink feather headdress on a mannequin after being called out.

gotta keep an eye out for those chinese walls

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Yeah this is why the smart thing for businesses to do these days is have limited social media presence or public interaction with customers. It seems counterintuitive and is the opposite of what they currently teach in most b-schools but there's no material benefit to likes and shares and high cost in the form of labor and potential mishap.

The new best way to interact with your customers on the internet is don't.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

LentThem posted:

Why pay attention to woke Twitter?

Woke Twitter brought down Bic in 2015 for their Women’s Day post and played a role in driving awareness of the Appletiser social media disaster. Conversations around #feesmustfall, racism, homophobia, transphobia and social justice are driven by woke Twitter, and this includes brand activities of all kinds. Whether it’s Marie Claire advertising an unpaid internship, a Woolworths branch featuring a half-complete Christmas display reminiscent of slave trains, or an Eskel Jawitz listing featuring an old South African flag on display in the lounge, brand reputations are on the line, online, every single day.

But, you might say, this is not our target audience, so why does it matter?

There are no Chinese walls between target audiences and channels. Twitter is now a prime source of content for mainstream news organisations, which means that any trending topic is likely to be given even greater coverage. What happens on Twitter definitely doesn’t stay on Twitter (or Facebook, for that matter, as Penny Sparrow knows only too well).

How do I assess creative work through the eyes of woke Twitter?

It helps to be familiar with the types of conversations happening online and the type of messages – deliberate or accidental – that are likely to push the wrong buttons. If you’re not, find someone who is. Pay attention to imagery, copy, and the interplay between the two. Could your ad be interpreted as victim-blaming? Are you being insensitive to racial nuances? (Appletiser, for example, made the mistake of referring to a black woman as a “brunette”.) If you’re not sure, don’t put work out into the public domain, even if it’s just a Facebook post.

Should I censor creative work now?

It’s important to understand that woke Twitter doesn’t have to like what you’re putting out – this is an audience that is skeptical of brand communication and dislikes most advertising on principle. Woke Twitter is never going to like ads that promote conventional gender roles, for example. It’s when there’s potential for outrage that brands have a problem. Avoid anything that can be construed as racism, sexism, homophobia or victim-blaming. Cultural appropriation is becoming more of an issue too; Woolworths recently removed a pink feather headdress on a mannequin after being called out.

gotta keep an eye out for those chinese walls

I don't understand this post

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Looks like something from a blog that's really just an ad for a lovely internet marketing firm.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

LentThem posted:

“This country was on a path directly to hell, and everyone was hellbent on resisting Trump’s agenda,” BBA told the Observer. “And in a political space heavily dominated by white men, we wanted to bring in intersectional feminism.”

http://observer.com/2017/03/resist-trump-hellbent-podcast-parody-account/

How are they bringing in "intersectional" feminism? Is being unemployed enough to rate an intersection now?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
GBM I think the problem you run into is just picking the wrong arguments a lot of time for no reason.

As a white males, I also feel the exhaustion sometimes about PC stuff. There is really no place for white males in the US to join in on any of this stuff. You are the enemy to the point that even agreeing with people who say PC stuff makes you a villain. I saw a tweet today that ended with "Men, don't like or RT this, it's not for you."

https://twitter.com/RheaButcher/status/853821197728882688

https://twitter.com/sublimelight312/status/853837208360554496

https://twitter.com/MissManicMuffin/status/853822665370607616

https://twitter.com/cmclymer/status/853839855218028545

Like, ^^ this is the poo poo that annoys you. I get it, it annoys me too. I agree with what fart said also though about "these are the people who just a few decades ago had no voice." It's not right that white men just can't weigh in on anything ever again, but the answer isn't (not saying that you are doing this either) to go full pepe frog 4chan guy and rage out about "FEMINAZIS" or whatever.

When you want to pick an argument about this stuff (and really why would you want to do that unless you absolutely have to?) is defending Trump as a force of nature who "sometimes does liberal stuff" really the hill you want to die on? Everyone around Trump is a cartoonishly evil conservative, and they are usually the ones that get to talk to him and tell him to do dumb poo poo. Just because he sometimes goes off the rails and accidentally does a sort of good thing isn't enough. Why pick a big argument over this and make such a big deal out of it? Trump is overall very very bad, and it makes you come off as pedantic to argue otherwise.

Being able to call someone "a huge bitch" to their face is another example of "a hill not worth dying on."

The tweets I posted above are so cartoonishly bad and make the PC people look absolutely dumb and ridiculous. The sit-in video you linked me to on Slack--same deal. But that doesn't mean you should get off on alt-right talking points about how awful PC culture is. Just like a lot of people who lean liberal fall in for all of that "identity politics = white people are evil" stuff, a lot of other people fall into neo-nazi politics with bashing that overly PC stuff as their gateway drug.

A personal pet peeve, but you also don't want to end up being the "South Park libertarian" who thinks he's so wise by just sitting in the middle and making fun of everyone left or right of you for anything they do.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I actually don't argue with anyone like this I just think it's terrible and it adversely affects the field I work in.

I also didn't call someone a huge bitch to their face, I said someone who was acting like a total bitch was a bitch and this offended a bystander by using that word to describe a woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
personally if people care too strongly about any single thing i make fun of them for it