Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Strata fees are low I BC because depreciation reports aren't mandatory so EVERYTHING is FINE until it isn't and you get a $20,000 special assessment for roofing (or one building I visited that had one for $100,000). There are a few complexes that have realized this is stupid and now charge a real strata fee but many that haven't. As long as you know that this is a 'feature' of BC stratas and plan for it you will be fine.

Now at least depreciation reports are sort of required in that you have to have a AGM vote to NOT have a depreciation report done. Obviously if you're looking into buying into a building and you spot that on their AGM minutes then that's a huge red flag.

The problem remains though that in many of these buildings the fees were set artificially low. Now a strata has a report that suggests a few fee options, with the one that fully covers all depreciation likely well, well above what the building is currently paying in fees. Tacking on a substantial fee increase is an exhausting, uphill battle that's not really worth fighting at an AGM. It's a lot easier to accept the minimum recommendation of the depreciation report and try to increase fees by some tiny percent each year with the excuse of inflation and try to slowly crawl to where the fees should have been in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Femtosecond posted:

Now at least depreciation reports are sort of required in that you have to have a AGM vote to NOT have a depreciation report done. Obviously if you're looking into buying into a building and you spot that on their AGM minutes then that's a huge red flag.

The problem remains though that in many of these buildings the fees were set artificially low. Now a strata has a report that suggests a few fee options, with the one that fully covers all depreciation likely well, well above what the building is currently paying in fees. Tacking on a substantial fee increase is an exhausting, uphill battle that's not really worth fighting at an AGM. It's a lot easier to accept the minimum recommendation of the depreciation report and try to increase fees by some tiny percent each year with the excuse of inflation and try to slowly crawl to where the fees should have been in the first place.

Yeesh, there's so much bullshit to deal with in owning a condo, I think I'd rather just buy a chateau in France and save the money.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Femtosecond posted:

If you treated it as a red flag you couldn't buy in 80%+ of the places I've looked at. Way too many stratas are still deferring the report, so you just need to treat the assessment risk as a diligence item. ie, what is the risk that the roof, parking structure, drainage, painting, windows, deck, walls etc etc need to be dealt with in the next 2, 5, 10 years and so on. Just like a normal house, except your inspector needs to walk the whole property.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I don't know if this is the right thread for it, but I'll ask anyways: do we Canadians pay taxes on inheritance?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Professor Shark posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread for it, but I'll ask anyways: do we Canadians pay taxes on inheritance?

No, but an inheritance is a deemed sale, so the estate may owe taxes on previously-unrealized gains.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
The estate will owe certain taxes, but there is no explicit death or inheritance tax and if you inherit none of what you receive is taxable.

https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/canada-inheritance-tax-laws-information-463

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kalenn Istarion posted:

The estate will owe certain taxes, but there is no explicit death or inheritance tax and if you inherit none of what you receive is taxable.

https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/canada-inheritance-tax-laws-information-463

This is what makes the local radio ad here for some finance guy where he goes "imagine my surprise when the biggest benefactor to my mother's estate when she died was the CRA!!!!!!!" absolutely laughable.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Well, it's possible that the estate will pay more in taxes than any single inheritor will receive. With a bunch of inheriting relatives and a lot of unrealized gains, it probably isn't that outlandish.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Well, it's possible that the estate will pay more in taxes than any single inheritor will receive. With a bunch of inheriting relatives and a lot of unrealized gains, it probably isn't that outlandish.

Well yeah but the implication from the ad is heavily "INHERITANCE TAXES WILL STEAL ALL YOUR FAMILY MONEY" as opposed to "your dead relative has to pay the same taxes as the living on the same earnings because that's how taxes work"

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah - the estate pays regular tax rate on any money in rrsp or rrif and cap gains tax on any difference between ACB and current price st time of death. It's just capturing the gains that would have otherwise been realized if those investments were sold, and that's why the beneficiaries are left with a clean tax situation and use the value at time of death for their own acb for any inherited non-cash assets

HookShot posted:

Well yeah but the implication from the ad is heavily "INHERITANCE TAXES WILL STEAL ALL YOUR FAMILY MONEY" as opposed to "your dead relative has to pay the same taxes as the living on the same earnings because that's how taxes work"

Yeah this stuff is just wrong in Canada, although you can potentially defer those taxes by putting assets in trusts or gifting them in certain structures before death

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

In the case of an unexpected or early death the tax bill on RRSPs can be pretty big as the tax rate on withdrawing them all at once will often be substantially higher than the tax brackets that the deceased was in for most of their life. End of life estate structuring can make a substantial difference in terms of how much tax is actually owed.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

blah_blah posted:

In the case of an unexpected or early death the tax bill on RRSPs can be pretty big as the tax rate on withdrawing them all at once will often be substantially higher than the tax brackets that the deceased was in for most of their life. End of life estate structuring can make a substantial difference in terms of how much tax is actually owed.

So if you're going to die in a car crash, preferably it would happen on NYE, before midnight?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

The main thing that can be done with rrsps is to name your spouse and dependent children as beneficiaries. They then receive their share tax free should you die before conversion. Not sure if you can do the same thing with rrifs

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Rick Rickshaw posted:

So if you're going to die in a car crash, preferably it would happen on NYE, before midnight?

Nah, NYE is the worst case, as it gets tacked on to all your income from that year, leaving even more of it in your highest marginal bracket -- New Year's Day is the best.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

blah_blah posted:

Nah, NYE is the worst case, as it gets tacked on to all your income from that year, leaving even more of it in your highest marginal bracket -- New Year's Day is the best.

Oh geez, right. Hangover brain fart. My bad.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Tax inheritance 100% IMO

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Uh what

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Inheritance massively benefits the rich and the richer a family is the bigger the benefit. Obviously 100% tax is hyperbole, but not having any official estate tax or law in place allows the richest to sit on their piles of money generation after generation.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Saving money and planning for the future benefits the rich. Why would you want to penalize someone for being successful and or prudent enough to leave some behind for their kids

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Kids tend to spend all the money in general who cares

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I too hope that one day I will be successful and prudent enough to leave 50k behind in RRSPs so my kids can pay off their HELOCs. Maybe in enough generations my family will have built up enough wealth to buy a house in Vancouver.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Saving money and planning for the future benefits the rich. Why would you want to penalize someone for being successful and or prudent enough to leave some behind for their kids

I mean, this is like the most fundamental philosophical question of capitalism. How do you reward hard work without hampering social mobility? This is becoming more and more of a problem over time due to the devaluation of labour in comparison to capital.

As with all things, a balance can be had. An inheritance tax of some kind is probably a good idea in an attempt to strike that balance. Make it too high though and people will just move more assets off-shore.

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 24, 2017

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Rick Rickshaw posted:

As with all things, a balance can be had. An inheritance tax of some kind is probably a good idea in an attempt to strike that balance. Make it too high though and people will just move more assets off-shore.

I'd be fine with this if we move the rich people offshore with their paper assets, comrade.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Eat some but not all rich.

Many wars including the class war.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Can anyone recommend a cross-border tax professional who can advise me and my spouse what to do with a Canadian TD mutual fund now that we're US taxpayers, or finding one online? The filing requirements for PFICs look challenging, and I'm guessing we're not the first dumb Canadians who moved to the US without thinking about the tax implications of our overpriced investments.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Yeah - the estate pays regular tax rate on any money in rrsp or rrif and cap gains tax on any difference between ACB and current price st time of death. It's just capturing the gains that would have otherwise been realized if those investments were sold, and that's why the beneficiaries are left with a clean tax situation and use the value at time of death for their own acb for any inherited non-cash assets

It ain't that simple.

-Most registered funds (RRSP, RRIF, TFSA, LIRF) will roll over tax-free to a spouse, a dependent adult child, or dependent grandchild.

-$200,000 of an RDSP's value can be rolled over to a beneficiary's RDSP tax-free.

-The principle residence exemption still applies to the home of the deceased.

-Funds from Life Insurance are paid out tax free, unless the Life Insurance contract is considered non-exempt (Universal Life Policy with a savings portion where the savings is greater than the face value).

-Non-registered accounts or assets without shared ownership are subject to Probate, and the fees vary by Province/Territory

DariusLikewise posted:

Inheritance massively benefits the rich and the richer a family is the bigger the benefit. Obviously 100% tax is hyperbole, but not having any official estate tax or law in place allows the richest to sit on their piles of money generation after generation.

Instead of bitching learn how to invest. Nobody is stopping you.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

grack posted:

Instead of bitching learn how to invest. Nobody is stopping you.

Being opposed to dynastic wealth is not incompatible with participation in markets, investing etc.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Lexicon posted:

Being opposed to dynastic wealth is not incompatible with participation in markets, investing etc.

Y'all read the rest of his posts?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

The posts from 3 years ago where I was first asking about re-allocating my investments?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I found out today that the lawyer expects things to be settled in 6 months, which seems standard from what I've read online. What takes place during that time?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

I found out today that the lawyer expects things to be settled in 6 months, which seems standard from what I've read online. What takes place during that time?

-Accounting of estate assets/obligations
-Final tax return/Rights and Things
-Discovering/notifying beneficiaries
-Probate
-Legal challenges (if any)
-Paying off debts/obligations
-Distributing assets (Residue)

For most estates discovering and notifying beneficiaries tends to take the most time, and then Probate. However, if there are any legal challenges to the will that can take a long-rear end time but they're fairly rare.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Square Peg posted:

I wanna say thanks to this thread for letting me know how incredibly expensive Canadian mutual fund fees could be. I had my meager assets set up with Questrade already, but reading the thread spurred me into action on unfucking my parent's retirement savings. They're both looking to retire in the next year or two, so it's definitely time.

My mom somehow had 3 RRSPs and 3 TSFAs (though one was with the bank and had, like, $2 in it) across multiple advisors/companies, and they were all ripping her off. One fund she was invested in had an MER of loving 3.8%!:siren: The rest were all in the high 1.X% to mid 2.X%. She thought she was doing ok, but when we compared the return rate I got last year with passive index ETFs to what little scraps her mutual funds passed on to her, she was pretty willing to switch. We're gonna see how Questrade's authorized trader system works so I can set up/rebalance her portfolio for her. That way I don't have to walk her through everything using Teamviewer or something.

I haven't gotten to my dad's finances yet, but I'm not expecting much better there. He's with Investors Group. :gonk:

When I think about how much better off they could have been if they'd switched to cheaper plans 15-20 years ago, I get pretty pissed, but at least this will make their humble savings last considerably longer.
Thank god they both also have public sector pensions.

My dad recently passed away and my mom was debating what was a better option for his pension, a 307k lump sum or 1200 a month for the rest of her life. She's 56. After talking to my accountant uncle she finally agreed with me that the lump sum would be a better choice. Not looking forward to going through the rest of their investments and seeing just how many stupid choices they've made the last couple decades

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Is the $1200 indexed to inflation?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

A Typical Goon posted:

My dad recently passed away and my mom was debating what was a better option for his pension, a 307k lump sum or 1200 a month for the rest of her life. She's 56. After talking to my accountant uncle she finally agreed with me that the lump sum would be a better choice. Not looking forward to going through the rest of their investments and seeing just how many stupid choices they've made the last couple decades

How do you figure the lumpsum is better? She'll likely live another 25 years. Lump sum means tax implications and probably blowing it on real estate.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cowofwar posted:

How do you figure the lumpsum is better? She'll likely live another 25 years. Lump sum means tax implications and probably blowing it on real estate.

1200 x 12 x 25 = 360K. You're espousing a big bet against market returns, I think.

E: by my reading, most pension plans can be flipped into registered plans, meaning that she could control the tax consequences of drawdown while compounding the full amount

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 26, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I'd have voted for the trickle drip if you think your mother cannot handle financial decisions. You would also be hands off and care free during those years. Worth considering.

OTOH taking the lump sum sets you up for an inheritance in case of living a shorter life, a morbid take on the situation.

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 26, 2017

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

1200 x 12 x 25 = 360K. You're espousing a big bet against market returns, I think.

E: by my reading, most pension plans can be flipped into registered plans, meaning that she could control the tax consequences of drawdown while compounding the full amount

What about indexing over that 25 years? My napkin calculation is that conservatively 4% of 307k is less than $1200/mo, so the monthly payments are worth more, unless there are some factors in play that change the valuation.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If average market returns over a 25 year span hit 4%, then yeah, things are not good for her.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Risky Bisquick posted:

OTOH taking the lump sum sets you up for an inheritance in case of living a shorter life, a morbid take on the situation.

This is where my mind went.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Um a lump sum payment of $307k would trigger a > $80k in tax liability would it not?

Whatever, I guarantee you that all that money will be gone in less than ten years and you'll be supporting her.