Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

After the past two years I fully believe that dogs are taking on human form and are infiltrating the highest levels of our government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Bert Roberge posted:

After the past two years I fully believe that dogs are taking on human form and are infiltrating the highest levels of our government.

You've changed, you son of a bitch. :clint:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Incredible episode. Can't think of much to say, but I had the same thought as the previous poster that Erika might have taken Lily and ran off, replacing her dead daughter.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I think there's good reason to connect Nora's cast with Lily's fate. It might explain why Kevin is positioned to start the conversation with Nora about Lily, even though they both lost a child. Aside from losing yet another person, she may also be harboring guilt related whatever happened. A car accident is a simple possibility. Getting her cast off imminently puts that accident as at most a few months prior, which means it fresh enough that everyone is overcompensating.

Although it is also worth noting that both Kevin and Laurie have their kids, and while John lost Evie on what was arguably a bad note, he still has Michael. And now Matt and Mary have their new kid. Maybe Nora had a rock-bottom event and she is pretending that she's "better" to keep from ruining the balance they have going, and is actually in a very, very bad place.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Scurvy posted:

Add me to the list of people wondering what happened to Lily.

I forget, what happened to Erika again? Did she die in that explosion in the S2 finale (only watched it once).

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Erika is still alive. She's in the season trailer.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Shageletic posted:

I forget, what happened to Erika again? Did she die in that explosion in the S2 finale (only watched it once).

She was about to leave John at the end of S2.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.

Last Chance posted:

Why does that necessarily have to be true :confused:

It was kind of tongue-in-cheek about the absurdity in this world.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Occam's Razor would say that after Evie blew up, Erika went a bit nuts over losing her child, stole Lily, and broke Nora's arm in the process. John was understandably upset at this and got together with Laurie, who found common ground over basically losing their respective families.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Aexo posted:

It was kind of tongue-in-cheek about the absurdity in this world.

I do like how they've ratcheted that up considerably. Three years and almost everyone's gone completely insane.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

Occam's Razor would say that after Evie blew up, Erika went a bit nuts over losing her child, stole Lily, and broke Nora's arm in the process. John was understandably upset at this and got together with Laurie, who found common ground over basically losing their respective families.

Wouldn't that happen shortly after the GR bombing though? Broken arms take months to heal, not 3 years. It would be weird for Erika to take 2+ years to go nuts. But I guess it's possible.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Say what you will, but dogkind got that sandwich in the end.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Dean revealed to be just a regular old crazy conspiracy theory dude is one of the biggest let downs ever. I'm trying to find more meaning in it but I don't think there is any.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
I think it was very interesting to see Dean through the eyes of relatively-sane Kevin.

I was really hoping that after the Pastor noted glass in Kevin's hair, he'd shake out a bullet on his way out the church. Maybe a little too much on the nose (and he's not impervious to harm either).

The way the show blends it's dark tone with moments of humor is so great. The exchange between Kevin and John is a great example. "What, I'm just supposed to accept her death because the dental records matched?" "Y..yeah?"

So happy The Leftovers is back!

Ashrik fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 18, 2017

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

UmOk posted:

Dean revealed to be just a regular old crazy conspiracy theory dude is one of the biggest let downs ever. I'm trying to find more meaning in it but I don't think there is any.

It sort of makes me wonder if dogs are genuinely acting messed up and in turn exacerbating whatever issues Dean had. Maybe he went nuts trying to figure out what the dogs are sensing that we aren't? It kind of fits alongside the notion that everyone else in the world seems to be losing their goddamn minds over stuff like that (the dogs, the water in Jarden, etc).

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 18, 2017

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
One little detail I noticed the Jardin police uniforms have their American flag patches on backwards as that's how's it's worn when they are considered to be at war.

Just noticed this in contrast when watching the season 1 episode The Garveys at their Best the Mapleton uniforms have the flags facing the normal direction.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I got a bit of an International Assassin flashback when Kevin opened his closet door :allears:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Le Saboteur posted:

One little detail I noticed the Jardin police uniforms have their American flag patches on backwards as that's how's it's worn when they are considered to be at war.

Just noticed this in contrast when watching the season 1 episode The Garveys at their Best the Mapleton uniforms have the flags facing the normal direction.

I don't think that means they are at war. I think it just became standard practice at some point so it looks like you are moving forward and not running away. Even if it did, I don't think it would apply to police.

At the last Army Navy game Nike made some sweet uniforms for Army based on the 82nd Airborne Division in WW2. It had non-reversed flags and veterans went nuts saying they were on backward and slamming Nike for such a "basic mistake". Only problem is Nike got it right, the flag was not reversed on the uniforms worn for D-Day.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

JethroMcB posted:

The entire show has been about people unable to process grief after loss where there's no physical proof that anything happened to them other than simply vanishing, so now John is established as a character who has definitive proof of his loved one's death (There was at least enough left of Evie to confirm her dental records,) yet ironically refuses to accept it. It's a natural evolution for his character - John wasn't able to process the idea that Evie left of her own volition three years ago, why would he now accept her second sudden and far more permanent departure from his life?

I know it's going to be important to where his character's story is going - but this early on, who knows where that's going to be.

Also why the hell haven't the cleaned up the crater in the ensuing three years? Lawsuit interference? Or did the ATFEC leave it there intentionally as a "warning" to people coming into Jarden?
The biggest irony is John with the help of Laurie are helping people get over their loss and grief by "conning them" (for free) and giving them closure of sorts.

Also I think it was in Sepinwall's review but he's also wearing glasses in the same style as Evie's as well.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

JethroMcB posted:

One of my nitpicks with last season's finale - as good as it was - was that, on the anniversary of the Departure, the US Government would not have increased security at a national park directly connected to the event and known to attract zealots. We know the feds take a brute force approach to new wave religious movements in the post-Departure world (don't forget the ATFEC guy in Season 1 implied to Kevin that they could "took care" of Mapleton's GR branch,) you mean to tell me they really would not be in a perimeter around the park armed to the teeth, and that they'd entrust security to local law enforcement and a handful of park rangers? Or that they wouldn't mobilize troops as soon as somebody parked a suspected bomb on the bridge and initiated a countdown?

The opening scene was a nice resolution to my pedantry. They might not have been prepared for Meg's stunt, but they sure as hell weren't going to let it go.

For me it fit's perfectly with how the federal LE side of the government's been portrayed so far on this show, just as this insanely reactionary, sadistically vengeful entity. It's almost like they hope some of the cults get radical and threatening enough so they can gleefully smite them in biblical fashion.

sticklefifer posted:

In regards to the new family structures, I liked the fake out they did with Tommie's line about "everyone's getting married these days" and having Michael as a brother, followed by it actually being Larie/John who had married and the daughter popping in to say "hi, bye, see ya later". The daughter/Michael romance subplot of last season was one of it's only missteps, it really served no purpose other than to give Michael some screentime/exposure to the audience, and while he's a very likeable character, that subplot just killed anything interesting the daughter had going on dead in it's tracks. That part of this episode sorta reminds me of how early on in last season the writers gifted us with that scene addressing viewer annoyance at "conflict created by non-communication" by having Nora and Kevin just blurt out all their secrets to eachother in the bluntest of manners. This one wasn't nearly as memorable, but it just shows how this show is so self aware about not wasting time with bullshit and not being scared to throw convention out the window to improve on previous flaws.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Onomarchus posted:

Say what you will, but dogkind got that sandwich in the end.

That one beat just made me think this season's going to be really good. It seemed like the writing was were really on point in this whole episode.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I wonder if we'll see Kevin trying to kill himself over and over and it not working.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

UmOk posted:

Every episode there's going to be a dog or dogs doing something suspicious looking in the background and the finale will have the dog denouement.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

ruddiger posted:

Every episode there's going to be a dog or dogs doing something suspicious looking in the background and the finale will have the dog denouement.

The twist better be that they're saving humanity, and the world, cuz dogs are good and mans best friend

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

I wonder if we'll see Kevin trying to kill himself over and over and it not working.

I was hoping the scene on his bed was him trying to off himself, but alas he is Jesus :angel:

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

What was with the duct tape on the legs in that scene?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

El Jeffe posted:

What was with the duct tape on the legs in that scene?
He used it to seal the bag.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

SLOSifl posted:

He used it to seal the bag.

Oh lol I thought he put a strip across his legs for some reason.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

El Jeffe posted:

Oh lol I thought he put a strip across his legs for some reason.
He did when he was prepping the bag. Maybe it's a superstitious ritual to keep Patti/sleepwalking away?

Also, I don't know anything about history or religion, what's the significance of birds with notes wrapped around their legs? How does it apply to the prologue and ending of the episode? Like I get pilgrim lady and flashfoward Nora are a reflection of each other, but in what way?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Ausmund posted:

He did when he was prepping the bag. Maybe it's a superstitious ritual to keep Patti/sleepwalking away?

Oh yeah it's gotta be for the sleepwalking.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

El Jeffe posted:

Oh yeah it's gotta be for the sleepwalking.
I think he just wanted the length of tape ready so he didn't have to try to unroll tape with a bag on his head...?

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

SLOSifl posted:

I think he just wanted the length of tape ready so he didn't have to try to unroll tape with a bag on his head...?

It is this. He put the tape over his knees adhesive-side-up for a moment, before taping the bag shut.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Ausmund posted:

Also, I don't know anything about history or religion, what's the significance of birds with notes wrapped around their legs? How does it apply to the prologue and ending of the episode? Like I get pilgrim lady and flashforward Nora are a reflection of each other, but in what way?

The last part may have been alluding to the Noah story, where after the flood Noah sent out a dove to see if the world was habitable again. Not a literal plot parallel, just a possible bit of reference.

In the intro the birds seemed to be carrying messages to help calculate the dates of the rapture.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

Lord Krangdar posted:

The last part may have been alluding to the Noah story, where after the flood Noah sent out a dove to see if the world was habitable again. Not a literal plot parallel, just a possible bit of reference.

In the intro the birds seemed to be carrying messages to help calculate the dates of the rapture.

That makes sense. I thought it was just each religious community communicating with each other to see if anyone from another village had gone to heaven, or whatever.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I suppose since the Millerite sect originated in America but the one shown was in Australia the messages probably were to spread the teachings to such a far out area.

Why do the Busey dudes at the beginning tell Kevin "never underestimate the spirit"?

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 19, 2017

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
"I'm a god. I'm not the god."

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

Lord Krangdar posted:

I suppose since the Millerite sect originated in America but the one shown was in Australia the messages probably were to spread the teachings to such a far out area.

Why do the Busey dudes at the beginning tell Kevin "never underestimate the spirit"?

https://twitter.com/THEGaryBusey/status/786662102928764928

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

El Jeffe posted:

Wouldn't that happen shortly after the GR bombing though? Broken arms take months to heal, not 3 years. It would be weird for Erika to take 2+ years to go nuts. But I guess it's possible.
Nah, it wouldn't be weird at all. Couples often drift apart slowly after losing a child/baby. You'd mourn with your partner at first and try to stay strong for each other, you'd be angry at anyone associated with her passing, you'd try to put on a brave face for the community (especially in "Miracle"), etc. Realistically the cracks would get bigger as time went on, in this case especially if John was being counseled by Laurie and growing closer to her, and Erika was becoming increasingly desperate to fill the void of losing her child. Maybe John leaving Erika for Laurie was even the catalyst. Getting to a mental state where you'd kidnap a baby and run off must be a lengthy process. That's something that could've come to a head only a few months ago.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Ausmund posted:

Also, I don't know anything about history or religion, what's the significance of birds with notes wrapped around their legs? How does it apply to the prologue and ending of the episode? Like I get pilgrim lady and flashfoward Nora are a reflection of each other, but in what way?

Maybe because the internet and long-distance telecommunication are gone, or that place is just very remote, but it's definitely a flash-forward to at least 20 years later judging by Norah's aging.

• Locked thread