Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.

Bombadilillo posted:

Is Yakuza anime?

That's a toughie.

I've gotten both answers already so I think my divisive post was a major success, grandpaps would be proud

Actually I think my anime problem first started back when I played Disgaea 5 for the first time, now that game is anime hopefully we can all agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'm about 72 hours in Persona 5 and still have a ton to do. I loaded up my SMTIV file to check the time it took me to complete and then that was on 66 hours or so.

Then I checked my Dragon Quest 7 3DS save and laughed at the SMT games.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yakuza films are a whole well-defined genre of film, primarily live-action, so by definition it is actually not anime

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yakuza films are a whole well-defined genre of film, primarily live-action, so by definition it is actually not anime

well its just a live action anime then like power rangers

while I intended this to be facetious I've actually now just confused myself, I will have to have a long think on anime

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
If you have to ask if something is anime, it's probably anime.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
although seriously, the robot anime game where lesbian girl bots dress up in BDSM leather and fight hetero robots with giant swords is pretty anime.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Apparently the Van Uber team is exclusive if you pre-order Wipeout Omega Collection on PSN?
I woulda liked to have all the content physically but ah well, I pre-ordered that fucker anyway. I miss Wipeout HD so much and it's fuckin comin back.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I had a problem in P4 where I felt like every decision with what to do with my time was wrong
. I found it incredibly stressful thinking I was going to miss things. That seems like it would be compounded by a 100 hour game I will probably only play once. I don't want to play with a guide telling me what to do but drat, the stress!

P5 better or worse or same, for that?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

I had a problem in P4 where I felt like every decision with what to do with my time was wrong
. I found it incredibly stressful thinking I was going to miss things. That seems like it would be compounded by a 100 hour game I will probably only play once. I don't want to play with a guide telling me what to do but drat, the stress!

While P5 is a great game, it's worse in this aspect. There are a lot more things to spend your time on, but at the same tim you also get railroaded a LOT more, so you end up going weeks at a time where you don't get to choose how to spend your time, because you instead spend every day being forced to an early bedtime by a cat

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Bombadilillo posted:

A bit better.
I've found P5 to me more lenient about that. Not only are there less instances where you're yanked away from free time for entire weeks, but you also have access to the Temperance arcana which can eventually basically gift you a free extra timeslot to do whatever you please with.
I've seen people finish their first playthroughs without a guide, and maxing out almost every s-link.
Everything you do feels beneficial in some way, you'd have to be going straight to bed after school to be "wasting" days.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

FauxLeather posted:

A bit better.
I've found P5 to me more lenient about that. Not only are there less instances where you're yanked away from free time for entire weeks, but you also have access to the Temperance arcana which can eventually basically gift you a free extra timeslot to do whatever you please with.
I've seen people finish their first playthroughs without a guide, and maxing out almost every s-link.
Everything you do feels beneficial in some way, you'd have to be going straight to bed after school to be "wasting" days.

Freak Futanari posted:

While P5 is a great game, it's worse in this aspect. There are a lot more things to spend your time on, but at the same tim you also get railroaded a LOT more, so you end up going weeks at a time where you don't get to choose how to spend your time, because you instead spend every day being forced to an early bedtime by a cat

Getting mixed signals

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

It depends on if you will feel a compulsion to max out every single S-Link and stat, you can probably do quite a bit but will need a guide to truly get close to 100%

I have never played a Persona game at all before P5 and I feel like I'm at a pace to end up with a lot of maxed links and be pretty decent on stats, I've checked a guide periodically just to see if there are any big events I shouldn't miss but aside from what the other person said about being forced to go to bed for days at a time here and there it's pretty easy at least to determine who I should see on which days etc.

The cat tells you to go to bed a lot in the beginning of the game, I've been experiencing this less and less as I continue. There will definitely be a time you just want to go buy plant food or something and can't leave your room for a few days because you are in the middle of a few days of plot. This is more just an annoyance than a huge problem though, it didn't last as long as everyone seems to imply IMO unless it comes back heavy later. I'm about 30h in and just finished the 3rd palace for context.

Scorps fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 17, 2017

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Scorps posted:

It depends on if you will feel a compulsion to max out every single S-Link and stat, you can probably do quite a bit but will need a guide to truly get close to 100%

I have never played a Persona game at all before P5 and I feel like I'm at a pace to end up with a lot of maxed links and be pretty decent on stats, I've checked a guide periodically just to see if there are any big events I shouldn't miss but aside from what the other person said about being forced to go to bed for days at a time here and there it's pretty easy at least to determine who I should see on which days etc.

The cat tells you to go to bed a lot in the beginning of the game, I've been experiencing this less and less as I continue. There will definitely be a time you just want to go buy plant food or something and can't leave your room for a few days because you are in the middle of a few days of plot. This is more just an annoyance than a huge problem though, it didn't last as long as everyone seems to imply IMO unless it comes back heavy later. I'm about 30h in and just finished the 3rd palace for context.

Nothing about this post makes any sense to me. I know all the words but in these combinations they're meaningless.

... I think I'm too old for Persona... or it's just too anime.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

I'm almost 30 and if you asked me would say I have no interest at all in anime (tried to watch several recommended series and didn't find myself interested very much), the aesthetic of the game does help a lot. I think as a whole package it just does a really nice job, the things you do in the life simulator part affecting your combat in the RPG dungeon crawler part adds to the mechanic also.

I bought the game based on its style alone and hoped that it would win me over and it did, now I'm not suggesting that is a very good strategy for buying games but this one in particular worked out alright for me. Persona more than any game I'm pretty sure people's initial reaction to it can tell them to buy it or not, when I saw it I went wow that aesthetic is crazy and the game is super steeped in it which I liked, if you saw a video of the gameplay and went, what the gently caress is this poo poo? I'm guessing the game won't win you over by playing it.

I don't mean this to be negative just that it's strange how with this particular game everyone's first reaction seems to be correct for them

Scorps fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 17, 2017

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bombadilillo posted:

I still haven't played P4 but I don't feel overly anxious about any of my decisions in P5, especially compared to P3P. I'm about 30 hours in and have a couple of S. Links nearly at max and a bunch of others well along. It's one of the best games I've ever played, please play it

Fuzz posted:

Nothing about this post makes any sense to me. I know all the words but in these combinations they're meaningless.

... I think I'm too old for Persona... or it's just too anime.

:rolleyes:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

A good game is a good game whether its ascii or anime

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Here's an edgey opinion, both Persona 5 and Mass Effect Andromeda are very similar. They're both terribly written. I'm enjoying ME a little more since I definitely lean more space nerd than anime nerd and enjoy the cool visuals, but they both suffer from dull characters and a plot that only a young child could find interesting.

Stability and facial animations have been great/tolerable respectively post-patch.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah that's edgy alright

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Playstation 4: What is anime? Is Bloodborne anime?

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

I think ME:A is significantly worse off in the writing than Persona 5 is. I think Persona 5 can be overly cheesy but I think it works much better in the context and environment of that game itself. Plus it has the standard "JRPG Quirkyness" stuff. ME:A just is a mess and has really inconsistent and baffling tone to a lot of the writing where it comes off as trying to be edgy irongically. I think the characters in Persona 5 are pretty interesting, I feel like they all have realistic personalities at least although they definitely are "caricatures" of specific archetypes (but that's the whole point of Persona I'm pretty sure)

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Here's an edgey opinion, both Persona 5 and Mass Effect Andromeda are very similar. They're both terribly written. I'm enjoying ME a little more since I definitely lean more space nerd than anime nerd and enjoy the cool visuals, but they both suffer from dull characters and a plot that only a young child could find interesting.

Hmm I can't speak for Mass Effect Andromeda but P5's story has plenty of nuances that make it far more interesting than the majority of game stories I've played and I can't in good conscience call it "terribly written".
P5's themes come together with the gameplay well too imho, the VN elements don't feel tacked on at all, just one side of the same coin.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

we all rose from anime and we will all return to it.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

i just realized that my own avatar could probably be considered anime, now I will have to double my thinking length on this anime conundrum....

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I am kinda intrigued by Flinthook. Out tomorrow...

http://flinthook.com

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Just bought the Samsung KU700D for $1099 on sale. How did I do?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My only experience with Persona's gameplay is the fighting game spinoff where I mashed the "easy combo" button a lot and beat a few people who actually tried.

I assume the normal gameplay's boring jrpg stuff

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

My only experience with Persona's gameplay is the fighting game spinoff where I mashed the "easy combo" button a lot and beat a few people who actually tried.

I assume the normal gameplay's boring jrpg stuff

It's not boring at all

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Here's an edgey opinion, both Persona 5 and Mass Effect Andromeda are very similar.

True, they're both anime

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Freak Futanari posted:

True, they're both anime

that's not true

that's impossible

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

All games are anime. You look, but you do not see.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is Journey worth the money? I've heard it's only 2 hours long.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PirateBob posted:

How much money? It's very short, but that means it's short enough to play repeatedly with co-op.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

PirateBob posted:

The best 2 hours of anime you'll ever experience.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

PirateBob posted:

Depends on how much money. If it's less than $10, then yeah, it's worth it. I only played it a couple times to get all the trophies. It was about 6 hours of my time total. I have no desire to play it again, though.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

Scorps posted:

i just realized that my own avatar could probably be considered anime, now I will have to double my thinking length on this anime conundrum....

skwisgaar is nots some girly cartoons from japans. skwisgaar is metals.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Afro posted:

skwisgaar is nots some girly cartoons from japans. skwisgaar is metals.

Separated at birth??

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

spudsbuckley posted:

The best 2 hours of anime you'll ever experience.

Dragonballz battle of gods?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Spend about the same amount of money on Journey as you'd spend on a movie ticket, but imagine its like one of the most charming, beautiful and kinda sad movies ever.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

Spend about the same amount of money on Journey as you'd spend on a movie ticket, but imagine its like one of the most charming, beautiful and kinda sad movies ever.

Hmm, it does cost about the same as a movie ticket. Plus I get to re-experience it whenever I want. I think I'll go for it. Cheers guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Guillermus posted:

Playstation 4: What is anime? Is Bloodborne anime?

Lady Maria and the final battle of the base game are anime as heck imo.