Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

moist turtleneck posted:

Annihilation field seems to require stuff to be on the same z axis tho :cool:

http://i.imgur.com/jhTXp7R.gifv

There's something odd going on there. He's definitely being staggered, but not by your combo.

I know at least the CC works on the Z Axis, because if I hang out on the raised platform in Firebase Zero, I end up with packs of adhi and raiders floating around below me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Annihilation Field absolutely has a Z axis. It's not a full sphere but to test I boosted the damage to 100x,went to firebase sandstorm or whatever the gently caress it's called and would consistently kill enemies in the above rooms if I jumped.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I wish they'd at least put connection bars on games so I would actually know if they were hosting from a cruise ship or something

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

The Iron Rose posted:

Annihilation Field absolutely has a Z axis. It's not a full sphere but to test I boosted the damage to 100x,went to firebase sandstorm or whatever the gently caress it's called and would consistently kill enemies in the above rooms if I jumped.

I think it's a dome shape because I"ll tag stuff with it that's above me but stuff on ramps that are below me (like in that gif) don't usually get hit.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Got my first UR, and it's a Rozerad. Am I correct to assume that it's a straightforward replacement for the Charger?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Ephemeron posted:

Got my first UR, and it's a Rozerad. Am I correct to assume that it's a straightforward replacement for the Charger?
Bless. Shall we break this guy in gently?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Ephemeron posted:

The Rozerad is a completely useless piece of poo poo.

tooterfish posted:

Bless. Shall we break this guy in gently?

gently caress it.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Zigmidge posted:

Bashing your skull against a wall for seven rounds is your poo poo eh. You'll get along great with this thread's regulars.

I'm stubborn and wanted my money.
Better believe I vote to kick the host every goddamn time though

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Ephemeron posted:

It's not that bad. It's a lightweight SMG with a huge clip size that is good as a back up on a sniping class or a soldier with turbocharge. It doesn't do that much damage but can finish off mooks that are really low on health.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Litterally anything can finish off a mook that's on really low health. That doesn't make the Rozerad suddenly not worthless.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Hurricane seems like it isn't good?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That DICK! posted:

The damage has been nerfed substantially.
It's certainly not The Best Sidearm anymore. I mean it probably still is the best of the available options, but if I remember rightly, in ME3 it had the highest dps of any gun.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Holy poo poo the Sandstorm's a bad gun

e: And the human engineer's an awful class

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 17, 2017

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

RBA Starblade posted:

Holy poo poo the Sandstorm's a bad gun

https://youtu.be/y6120QOlsfU

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

That DICK! posted:

Two Finger posted:

The damage has been nerfed substantially.
It's certainly not The Best Sidearm anymore. I mean it probably still is the best of the available options, but if I remember rightly, in ME3 it had the highest dps of any gun.

In ME3 it had practically uncontrollable recoil. I remember using it on a Vorcha soldier like a shotgun, aim for the chest and let the recoil drive it upwards into the head.

But its still a pretty good weapon in the right hands. Highest ROF of any weapon, so it primes really quick with special ammo. It is basically the straight upgrade to the Charger.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Considering the Equalizer never misses, I've found it to be great for ammo application.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The equalizer has accuracy decay/spread just like anything else.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I unlocked the Kineticist, my first UR character, and she's pretty fun because her gimmick is unique. Not very useful against Remnant though because Breachers and Observers cannot be pulled.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

precision posted:

Considering the Equalizer never misses, I've found it to be great for ammo application.

The hard limit on the Equalizer's range annoys me, so I never use it. It's a shame because I really like it's pew-pew noises.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

This video is better: https://vnh967tkwow

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Astroniomix posted:

Litterally anything can finish off a mook that's on really low health. That doesn't make the Rozerad suddenly not worthless.
I see. :(

I've only had a chance to try it out in a single bronze match so far, and it worked reasonably well there (compared to some of the other guns I've unlocked lately - but I guess that says more about said guns than about Rozerad).

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I think ultimately the problem is that while a lot of poo poo is viable on bronze, playing on bronze is also really really boring. The standard raider has what, 800 health on bronze? That goes up to 1600 on silver and 2400 on gold. That's a huge increase, and the fact time to kill varies so much probably goes a long way towards explaining why people are feeling everything's lovely on gold (where most hardcore players are probably playing) but a-ok on bronze/silver (where most pubbies are probably playing).

Except, proportionally, while the 2x and 3x health increases are an increase over what Mass Effect 3 had (175% and 250% on silver and gold respectively - not sure what plat did), it's not an incredibly significant. To be exact, it'll manifest itself as about a 16% increase in time to kill, not taking into account shield gating and one hit kill potential.

So given the general feeling of anemic guns and anemic combos, is the problem, all else being equal, just that it takes on average 16% longer to kill a mook compared to ME3?

I haven't delved too much into the numbers yet to figure it out, but while I can 100% believe that a 16% TTK differential can make all the difference in terms of feeling a lot greater than that, I can't help but feel there's something more to it.

Thoughts?

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 17, 2017

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Well it's not that it's harder, because it's not. We get more enemies at once, that are harder to kill... and somehow ME3 still felt more challenging.

Personally I think it's more that they screwed play variety. Powers, beyond a notable few (usually ones that buff weapon damage) aren't worth using for anything other than crowd control. Combos aren't worth using for anything other than crowd control. So every class is now some variety of gun class. Which is further exacerbated by the fact that only a few guns are even worth using.

So yeah. TBH classes that have passive and active buffs to weapons feel fine. It's classes that should be relying on powers and combos that feel anaemic.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

FWIW I thought mass effect 3 had incredibly spongey and often unsatisfying enemies for an action game too, but it was a slightly different situation there because it had far too many giant enemies like banshees in the later waves, while the chumps were much easier to kill than andromeda's due to a couple main things (for weapons): Weak spot hitboxes actually making sense, and a bigger weak spot multiplier.

If you compare this to this, bodyshots to kill with a lot of guns in ME3 weren't drastically lower than andromeda for the chumps, but most of these guns did 2.5x headshot damage, whereas in andromeda it's 2.0x for snipers and 1.5x for everything else according to relentless' spreadsheet. Other factors: These guns are also listed without any mods which can add 25% or more damage, powers + combos did far more damage to things relative to how frequently you could use them, and you were usually only playing with level 20 classes because you leveled up way faster and also ranked up 1/6 of the classes in the game at a time, so you would have those passive damage bonuses more readily.

The shield values listed on the enemy spreadsheet are pretty huge, but ME3 also gave you better access to shield-stripping stuff, like the acolyte, reegar, and overload on like a 3-second cooldown. So many classes/loadouts had ways to quickly reduce every enemy to just a health bar.

So I think you're right rose, there's a somewhat bigger jump between difficulties but that's just one factor out of many.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 17, 2017

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Digirat posted:

So I think you're right rose, there's a somewhat bigger jump between difficulties but that's just one factor out of many.

Offhand, it appears the devs thought the change of not having a shared cooldown would drastically change the damage output of every class. Ditto being able to combo every explosion type off each other.

Then they overcompensated by upping everything's cooldown AND nerfing the damage AND nerfing explosions. Add in not calculating ROF correctly, and just generally having more hp to lower damage guns...

And it was all to solve a non-existent problem. ME3 had a few soldiers where 2 of their 3 abilities were off cooldown. Or just never used.

The balance in general is just off. They need to figure out how long enemies should take to kill, and work backwards from there. Powers, explosions, and guns are just operating at different scales, so it's hard to figure out where the real balance issues are.

Except silent teleporting stretch Armstrong fiends, those need to be fixed asap.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I don't have a problem with fiends because I just queue up against outlaws every time

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

I don't have a problem with fiends because I just queue up against outlaws every time

And with no xp/credit penalty, why wouldn't you?

Bruc
May 30, 2006

Relentless posted:

And with no xp/credit penalty, why wouldn't you?

This is honestly maybe my biggest issue with the game now. Outlaws are the easiest and also the most fun to fight by a mile because the kett bosses are so bullshitty especially if there's any kind of lag and remnant suck to fight as melee.

On a different note one of my friends plays a lot of Asari adept and I built an asari sentinel around combo damage to see if it would be worth a poo poo in gold and with every thing primed and debuffed and all the combo damage boosts sentinel gets its actually pretty good on gold.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Bruc posted:

On a different note one of my friends plays a lot of Asari adept and I built an asari sentinel around combo damage to see if it would be worth a poo poo in gold and with every thing primed and debuffed and all the combo damage boosts sentinel gets its actually pretty good on gold.

This thread will disagree until its blue in the face and blood runs down it. They're wrong, of course. But good luck maintaining this point!

I've been working on my human adept to earn my gold biotic nameplate and I'm constantly topping the scoreboard. Every time I see that I think of this thread and chuckle to myself a little bit.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Zigmidge posted:

I've been working on my human adept to earn my gold biotic nameplate and I'm constantly topping the scoreboard. Every time I see that I think of this thread and chuckle to myself a little bit.

How did you build and give a little breakdown on how you play.

I'm so tired of vanguard and soldiers

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Zigmidge posted:

This thread will disagree until its blue in the face and blood runs down it. They're wrong, of course. But good luck maintaining this point!

The guy with X URs and 10x the hours of most pubs is consistently topping the scoreboard? Shocked, I tell you!

I actually like the human adept myself for cc and biotic explosions, because I you can pull off 3+ explosions within range of each other they actually do noticeable damage. That doesn't mean that combo damage isn't borked for literally every other situation, and (unless you know something I don't) you're still doing most of your damage with guns/fists because of the long cooldowns.

Bruc
May 30, 2006

Zigmidge posted:

Human adept is really fun in anything not bronze. I do really think this game is in need of some pretty major balance changes but having played more I don't think its quite as awful as I did before. I even really like the P.A.W. now on the sentinel because it will basically instantly apply a full status effect on any enemy in the game if youre using ammo because every shot hits dead center and it fires really fast.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Stickman posted:

The guy with X URs and 10x the hours of most pubs is consistently topping the scoreboard? Shocked, I tell you!

I actually like the human adept myself for cc and biotic explosions, because I you can pull off 3+ explosions within range of each other they actually do noticeable damage. That doesn't mean that combo damage isn't borked for literally every other situation, and (unless you know something I don't) you're still doing most of your damage with guns/fists because of the long cooldowns.

I don't melee or fire a round from my gun but go on, keep telling me how it is. It's on par for this bad thread.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Zigmidge posted:

You know that you double dip as a biotic by getting assist points on your own kills? Have a close look at where your points are coming from, it's something I noticed on day 1 (adept is my thing, it's the very first class I played). Topping the scoreboard as an adept isn't terribly hard, but it's not necessarily reflective of how effective you're being (not that topping the scoreboard even is in general).

These criticisms aren't coming from nowhere, and they're not just being aired here either. Even if you disagree there's no need to be such a wanker about it.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

I don't melee or fire a round from my gun but go on, keep telling me how it is. It's on par for this bad thread.

You're so full of poo poo.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Zigmidge posted:

Human Adept is my poo poo, what's your build/playstyle?

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

My go to class right now is the human female sentinel.
My cooldowns are such that I could take an isharay and still have 100 percent.
Energy drain as a primer is actually stupid good.
Maxed most of the skills except for barricade, just one point in that cause I routinely forget about that skill anyway.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Yeah. The human sentinels are probably a bit overlooked, but they get really good passives to go along with generally good active powers.

Throw is really good for detonating ammo too, its cooldown is low enough that you can use it all the time.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Digirat posted:

FWIW I thought mass effect 3 had incredibly spongey and often unsatisfying enemies for an action game too, but it was a slightly different situation there because it had far too many giant enemies like banshees in the later waves, while the chumps were much easier to kill than andromeda's due to a couple main things (for weapons): Weak spot hitboxes actually making sense, and a bigger weak spot multiplier.

If you compare this to this, bodyshots to kill with a lot of guns in ME3 weren't drastically lower than andromeda for the chumps, but most of these guns did 2.5x headshot damage, whereas in andromeda it's 2.0x for snipers and 1.5x for everything else according to relentless' spreadsheet. Other factors: These guns are also listed without any mods which can add 25% or more damage, powers + combos did far more damage to things relative to how frequently you could use them, and you were usually only playing with level 20 classes because you leveled up way faster and also ranked up 1/6 of the classes in the game at a time, so you would have those passive damage bonuses more readily.

The shield values listed on the enemy spreadsheet are pretty huge, but ME3 also gave you better access to shield-stripping stuff, like the acolyte, reegar, and overload on like a 3-second cooldown. So many classes/loadouts had ways to quickly reduce every enemy to just a health bar.

Would increasing the weakpoint damage to 2x across the board be a good change? Increases the rewards for scoring headshots with your semi-automatics, at least.

Relentless posted:

Offhand, it appears the devs thought the change of not having a shared cooldown would drastically change the damage output of every class. Ditto being able to combo every explosion type off each other.

Then they overcompensated by upping everything's cooldown AND nerfing the damage AND nerfing explosions. Add in not calculating ROF correctly, and just generally having more hp to lower damage guns...

And it was all to solve a non-existent problem. ME3 had a few soldiers where 2 of their 3 abilities were off cooldown. Or just never used.

The balance in general is just off. They need to figure out how long enemies should take to kill, and work backwards from there. Powers, explosions, and guns are just operating at different scales, so it's hard to figure out where the real balance issues are.

Except silent teleporting stretch Armstrong fiends, those need to be fixed asap.

I think they used the same numbers for cooldown and damage as single-player, conveniently forgetting the frankly ridiculous bonuses to both that Ryder can get through profiles and passives.

But what do you think is a good TTK for your basic Outlaw Raider, if we assume 15 of them spawn in each wave? (I actually don't know how many Raiders there are in each Survival wave, 15 just sounded like a good round number)

And I think power damage needs a buff across the board (except for the Combat-based ones). Combo damage can remain the same, I guess, maybe a slight boost. Weapons are bit more complicated, because they also need to factor in accuracy, reload speed, magazine size, etc.

tooterfish posted:

Yeah. The human sentinels are probably a bit overlooked, but they get really good passives to go along with generally good active powers.

Throw is really good for detonating ammo too, its cooldown is low enough that you can use it all the time.

I got both human sentinels to 20. Male has both Throw and Energy Drain maxed out and is a typical caster, female has Energy Drain and Barricade maxed out and is a weapons platform. I have to say I prefer the weapons platform because being able to plant yourself basically anywhere and hose down a bunch of enemies is pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I'm too cool for gold these days, I just let my strike teams do that.

• Locked thread