Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

jivjov posted:

Because clothes are inanimate objects. They are not gendered, nor are they restricted to people of a certain gender.

Oh, jivjov... Sometimes I think you're just too pure for this world. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Rexroom posted:

Oh, jivjov... Sometimes I think you're just too pure for this world. :allears:

Jivjov's right tho.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

jivjov posted:

Because clothes are inanimate objects. They are not gendered, nor are they restricted to people of a certain gender.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Jivjov's right tho.

In a purely objective sense, yes. If you break it down to the basics, they're just pieces of fabric sewn together. But there's still the ideas connected to said fabrics, of status and gender. In other words, they are not free of values set by culture and society.

I'm just interested why Nintendo are including little pieces of gender role subversions in their games of late.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
I know what you mean and I think it's worth appreciating that they're embracing it, but I don't know how far back it goes.
It was a pretty big deal for some that male characters in New Leaf could wear dresses.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Rexroom posted:

I'm just interested why Nintendo are including little pieces of gender role subversions in their games of late.

Because it costs absolutely nothing to be inclusive. There is nothing to be gained from restricting garment choices.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

jivjov posted:

Because it costs absolutely nothing to be inclusive. There is nothing to be gained from restricting garment choices.

Well it helps that a majority of gears in Splatoon are unisex.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I haven't looked carefully at the character models but aren't they identical other than hair?if Nintendo was really trying to be political they would probably leave it all as appearance options instead of explicitly saying boy or girl.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

inferis posted:

I haven't looked carefully at the character models but aren't they identical other than hair?if Nintendo was really trying to be political they would probably leave it all as appearance options instead of explicitly saying boy or girl.

The eyebrows are different.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The school outfit in Splatoon 1 was gendered so it'll probably be the same again.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

The school outfit in Splatoon 1 was gendered so it'll probably be the same again.

There's a picture

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I figured that was two girl inklings. It would be cool if hairstyles weren't gendered as well.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

SeANMcBAY posted:

I figured that was two girl inklings. It would be cool if hairstyles weren't gendered as well.

inferis posted:

Ah, looks like I was mistaken. drat squidkids these days, you can never be sure. :bahgawd:

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I guess I'm just going to pretend that the squids in splatoon don't have genders and the boy/girl options are just colloquialisms for humans and has nothing to do with their actual gender.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I hate the short hair option the new female inkling amiibo has going on.

Something about it just looks weird and wrong to me. Same with the Skrillex hair that the boys sometimes had in the testfire.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The short hair girl is objectively the cutest kid.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rexroom posted:

In a purely objective sense, yes. If you break it down to the basics, they're just pieces of fabric sewn together. But there's still the ideas connected to said fabrics, of status and gender. In other words, they are not free of values set by culture and society.

Japan's culture and response to crossdressing is VERY different from that of the west. Its not just Nintendo. (This is both good and bad depending) Its not even necessarily trans people.

People dressing as the opposite sex is like, a major trope in Eastern literature / media. Where over here in the west its something that's been really uncomfortable until recently. But that doesn't mean they're super progressive, just... different.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm gonna miss my school jacket though.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

I'm gonna to miss my old football gear

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm gonna miss all my targets when I try out the sniper rifle.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Rexroom posted:

Is there money in it? There's your answer.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cross postin

Made by Keys Factory. Should be up, eventually, on Play-Asia via this link if you're interested in staying fresh

nota
Dec 9, 2013

Now I know what to get for my Switch, thanks ! I was already interested in a front cover / soft pouch combo and this one is perfect.
Apparently it will release around the same time as the game.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

I'm slightly tempted, but I might just buy a protective glass instead. There should be a particularly good reason to get the front cover, but I'm not sure what that would be. Other than the nice decals.

nota
Dec 9, 2013

Rexroom posted:

I'm slightly tempted, but I might just buy a protective glass instead. There should be a particularly good reason to get the front cover, but I'm not sure what that would be. Other than the nice decals.

It's useful to protect your screen from impacts when in your bag if you use a soft pouch, since unlike a screen protector, it won't break. If you use a hard case then yeah, not very useful.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Someone's hacking the game in the match I'm in. They're coving the entire map in ink instantly and remote killing squids from LOS. It's loving weird.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/855527824056356866

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
https://twitter.com/splatoonjp/status/855350844996198400

The old amiibo have the original gear unlocks from the first game, in addition to the other amiibo features (saving your loadout, taking photos with the character).

I wonder what Callie and Marie will do...

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

FFS I just got done translating the last one

There weren't even any bike shorts.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
In AC:NL, they let you have the other gender's hair too after a bit, I'm wondering if they'll do the same for inklings

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Isn't the hair the only difference between them?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

inferis posted:

If you count eyebrows as hair

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

inferis posted:

Thicker eyebrows on boys as well. I haven't noticed anything else

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://youtu.be/BilKgfIFU70

Some info bits from the Salmon Run presentation.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
http://splatoon.nintendo.com/squid-sisters-stories/#introduction

Some character is writing about how Callie and Marie split after the Final Splatfest, only the Prologue is live so far

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Oh no!

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

http://splatoon.nintendo.com/squid-sisters-stories/#introduction

Some character is writing about how Callie and Marie split after the Final Splatfest, only the Prologue is live so far

The Splat Fest results were canon the whole time.

We weren't just playing a game. We were writing their history.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Callie and Marie split

:ohdear:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Oh no. Callie is going to be the villain of single-player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Takoluka posted:

Oh no. Callie is going to be the villain of single-player.

The real villain will be the Idol Industry that forced them to fight in the first place.

• Locked thread