Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I got some 1846 and Twilight Struggle in tonight.

I lost at both :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Any advice on 2-3 player co-operative games? I've been enjoying a helluva lot of Pathfinder Adventure Card, and recently went out and kickstarted Maximum Apocalypse and The City of Kings to keep scratching that itch. I suppose if specificity matters, I'd ideally like games of comparable complexity to Pathfinder (middle-of-the-road difficulty, not 4x levels of ultra micromanagement), played in under ~1.5 hours, and not having a million goddamned miniatures to store somewhere.

terebikun
May 27, 2016

Kruller posted:

Got a couple of games of Brew Crafters in this week. It is very much Agricola with beer. We played the basic game, no extra actions, and basic research boards since both games were teaching multiple people. The action spaces feel very tight, with someone always taking something you really wanted. First player feels incredibly important, but not so important that you can't win without it. Collaboration works very well, giving everyone incentive to complete it even though it's going to give someone else points. Overall, I prefer it to Agricola, primarily because I'm on even footing with this, where Agricola has me going against people who've been playing for years and I've only played 3 times.

I'm a big fan of Brew Crafters, but never played Agricola. Do you think if I introduced it to my friend who hates Agricola there's a chance he might like it?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Sputnik posted:

Any advice on 2-3 player co-operative games? I've been enjoying a helluva lot of Pathfinder Adventure Card, and recently went out and kickstarted Maximum Apocalypse and The City of Kings to keep scratching that itch. I suppose if specificity matters, I'd ideally like games of comparable complexity to Pathfinder (middle-of-the-road difficulty, not 4x levels of ultra micromanagement), played in under ~1.5 hours, and not having a million goddamned miniatures to store somewhere.

Arkham horror lCG is the way to go

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Played too much Mage Knight this weekend, send help

A bit to my surprise, me and my wife's first full Co-op game we managed a victory, on the last action of the last turn of the last round of the game no less. :v:
Game is super fun but it takes us a looong time to finish a game, might have to do some blitz games in the future to get some more practice in without so much time on a single game.

So, are the expansions better left for once we've played a fair bit more of the main game or are any of them good to just pick up immediately?

Also just a clarification on the rules (I read this somewhere when I was looking up the game originally but I can't find it now), for assaulting a keep/city/etc you have to pay the move cost to initiate the attack and then on victory you move into the hex automatically right?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sputnik posted:

Gloomhaven?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1350948450/gloomhaven-second-printing

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Played too much Mage Knight this weekend, send help

A bit to my surprise, me and my wife's first full Co-op game we managed a victory, on the last action of the last turn of the last round of the game no less. :v:
Game is super fun but it takes us a looong time to finish a game, might have to do some blitz games in the future to get some more practice in without so much time on a single game.

So, are the expansions better left for once we've played a fair bit more of the main game or are any of them good to just pick up immediately?

Also just a clarification on the rules (I read this somewhere when I was looking up the game originally but I can't find it now), for assaulting a keep/city/etc you have to pay the move cost to initiate the attack and then on victory you move into the hex automatically right?

Blitz is fun to save time, as are the variety of competitive scenarios.

Lost Legion is great to pick up ASAP, just to enlarge the spell/AA/Artefact decks and give the heroes their co-op skills and extra different card. Add the units/monsters when you feel comfortable and/or find things too predictable. The big Volkare scenarios are OK, I still prefer Conquest. Krang/Tezla are basically for completionists only - do look into Tezla's rulebook, as it has a short scenario that doesn't need any Tezla components.

You're correct on the fortified site assaults (unfortified like dungeon/tomb/ruin you just move onto and then fight on the same or later turn, you don't get pushed out).

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Gloomhaven looks a tad too "heavy" for my tastes, but I'll definitely look into the Arkham card game. It seems weirdly inflated on Amazon, so maybe when it comes back in stock at $30 I'll pick it up (unless camelcamelcamel is lying to me on its pricepoint).

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Sputnik posted:

Gloomhaven looks a tad too "heavy" for my tastes, but I'll definitely look into the Arkham card game. It seems weirdly inflated on Amazon, so maybe when it comes back in stock at $30 I'll pick it up (unless camelcamelcamel is lying to me on its pricepoint).

It's $34 at CSI: http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/231085

I'm not sure if it's "worth" doing 2x, unless you have the disposable income for the sake of the doubles. You can probably proxy the second copies that you want, but otherwise there's a lot of redundancy (like all of the adventure cards, tokens, etc). This was an LCG FFG really should have done a single core with doubles/quadruples of the cards, as applicable, since the delta probably isn't actually that much more compared to the price of reprinting all the investigations, rulebook, and tokens. But you can also buy the released packs and scenarios if you need to get to that free shipping threshold.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Sputnik posted:

Mage Knight is probably the bext 3p coop for my money, and does now have an ultra-fast mode. Big-rear end box though.

Warhammer Quest Card Game is good, Aeon's End is good, Mistfall Heart of the Mists is OK.

We've been doing a bunch of these recently.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
You know what's annoying? Someone watching a game trying to learn how to play but they keep taking stuff off the board to read it and fiddle with it while the other players still need it instead of just reading the rulebook right next to him or using the online video tutorial that explains the game

First world problems :v:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

hogofwar posted:

Been researching every type of sleeve for my game of Nightfall, ended up going with the Swan Panasia sleeves, as they are (apparently) good quality for a few pounds more than mayday (the cheapest).

Hopefully this is a good choice for the 800 or so sleeves i'm getting.

A better choice would have been not buying Nightfall. Picking the right sleeves is like picking the right toilet paper to lovingly wrap your turds in.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

I bunch of acquaintances of mine have recently been trying Gloomhaven and apparently are really displeased with it. They're miffed that it seems solely focused on combat (which is a weird complaint, since I think that's how it advertises itself), and failed the 1st scenario 3 times at 4 players, which is really strange because I've heard that victory can be razor tight but that the game isn't that merciless. Does the games difficulty scale weirdly at 4 players, are did these dudes likely botch some rules/are secretly bad at games? This especially eyebrow raising as these guys aren't averse to more complex euro games. I'm asking since I'm backing the reprint and I'm weirded out by the discrepancy between the positive reception itt and the negative reception by these dudes who until now have displayed Good Taste In Games™.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I haven't played it yet, but I've heard the first scenario is really strangely difficult.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

CSI's current sale has Vinhos Deluxe for 50 bucks :eyepop:

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

I bunch of acquaintances of mine have recently been trying Gloomhaven and apparently are really displeased with it. They're miffed that it seems solely focused on combat (which is a weird complaint, since I think that's how it advertises itself), and failed the 1st scenario 3 times at 4 players, which is really strange because I've heard that victory can be razor tight but that the game isn't that merciless. Does the games difficulty scale weirdly at 4 players, are did these dudes likely botch some rules/are secretly bad at games? This especially eyebrow raising as these guys aren't averse to more complex euro games. I'm asking since I'm backing the reprint and I'm weirded out by the discrepancy between the positive reception itt and the negative reception by these dudes who until now have displayed Good Taste In Games™.

Four players is perfectly manageable and how we've played most of the game. But the first scenario is pretty hard, to be fair. The opening room in particular has a ton of guards right by you and if you get the wrong AI card and aren't acting fast enough to whittle down their numbers (or at least diffuse the damage/temporarily disable them) you can eat a lot of damage right off the bat. It's no doubt compounded by not being used to the strategy of the game yet.

Then again, we won it first try despite the aforementioned terrible draw and immediate pounding, so :shrug:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

deadwing posted:

CSI's current sale has Vinhos Deluxe for 50 bucks :eyepop:

Buy that sucker. Buy two and flip one. It's a good game and usually goes for $80.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Got to play Signorie on the weekend. Despite playing mostly euros for the last 4 years this was the first WYG title I've played, 2 of us were new and one had played once and the owner had played a few times. There's a ton of iconography to take in right off the bat and a plethora of options available to you, fortunately for the most part the iconography is pretty clear though some of the actions (mostly sending your women/dudes to the cities) have a few steps that we needed some reminders for the first few times we used it. I like how each die you take can be used in mutliple ways, the amount of different options and ways to build your engine mean with careful planning you can pull off some pretty cool combos that you might not at first think you'd be able to.I went heavy into the helpers, partially as there was a scoring round for them and also just because I like getting extra actions in games and it seemed to work pretty good, I used them to let me quickly place guys onto the crown track and shoot them all the way to the top to score lots of points when sending them off to the cities. I ended up winning though it was very close, everyones scores were within about 4 points of the player ahead of them and the second place player may have ended up winning but they misunderstood how the scoring worked when pulling guys off the different tracks.

I thought it was good but not great and pretty much what I expected from a WYG title based on what I've seen; a mostly abstract, low-interaction but heavy, puzzley euro with many options and tons of ways to score points. My biggest beef with the game from the one play is that it feels like it's too long, I'd probably like it better if it was 1 or 2 rounds shorter since the game doesn't change that much in terms of what you're doing from the first round to the last, you're just doing more of it. If you like heavier games with lots of planning and engine building it's worth trying.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.

Jedit posted:

A better choice would have been not buying Nightfall. Picking the right sleeves is like picking the right toilet paper to lovingly wrap your turds in.

That's a point, if the sleeves are biodegradable that would be a bonus!

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Some dude on my local buy/sell/trade group wants to get rid of new Through the Ages and Dominion 2nd edition and wants to acquire Clank, Time Stories, and Ghost Stories. Different strokes.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

CaptainRightful posted:

Some dude on my local buy/sell/trade group wants to get rid of new Through the Ages and Dominion 2nd edition and wants to acquire Clank, Time Stories, and Ghost Stories. Different strokes.

Holy cow how quickly did they get rid of it? We've had people at the local board game BST trying to get rid of poo poo games for good games for months and months. That's all it is for trades.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

Holy cow how quickly did they get rid of it? We've had people at the local board game BST trying to get rid of poo poo games for good games for months and months. That's all it is for trades.

First "PMed" comment was within a minute of the posting. The majority of the offers are terrible, but I've picked up Food Chain Magnate and Totaler Krieg through this group!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Is Ghost Stories good with 2?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

The first room in that scenario requires you to realize how to manage aggro in a tight space immediately as well as focus down or de-fang targets before they can strike. It shouldn't be too hard unless you have guys who want to melee and are running up to engage 3+ guards each, which will wreck almost any level 1 character.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

It's possible that they botched some rules, or that they've got some bad strategy idea (like, spending too many "lose" cards early). The first mission is hard, but not -that- hard (we've only ever played with 4 players). I'd suggest they just pretend they won and move on. Some of the other early missions were significantly easier. While I can certainly imagine not liking the game, my work group has played Gloomhaven literally every work day since we got it, and have scheduled multiple after-work meets (the first time we've done this) to play more. Our last mission was super tight, and ended up being one of our favorite missions ever despite a very vanilla setup.

We don't have a lot of complaints. We've gone overboard on storage with bead boxes and hanging files and little multi-row racks for the monster cards, and setup goes super fast. If you actually had to put the game away in the box between plays, I can see how setup would be a real downside. Otherwise, fiddliness is mostly pretty low (with the exception of the bloody Oozes: they're terrible for having too manage way too many damage counters as Oozes split and hurt themselves and regenerate, often a propos of nothing).

The print and play solo missions are great so far. We've liked almost all of the characters. Missions and enemies and items are satisfyingly varied, and the game unlocks at just the right pace.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Kashuno posted:

I think the dummy player rules are crippling (though it is possible we misunderstood them), so give each player two characters.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

CaptainRightful posted:

First "PMed" comment was within a minute of the posting. The majority of the offers are terrible, but I've picked up Food Chain Magnate and Totaler Krieg through this group!

If I can find where I hid/trashed my Talisman+expansion I've been wanting to get rid of it for years. I dream of getting Kemet or Inis for it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Kashuno posted:

It certainly seems a lot easier with 2 than with 4. Still challenging though.

It seemed fine to me the one time I played it. If you hate risk management mechanics and the possibility of being totally dicefucked then it's probably not for you though. With good strategy you don't need to rely on the dice on any particular roll, but over the course of the whole game you do need them to go your way a reasonable proportion of the time.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

jmzero posted:

It's possible that they botched some rules, or that they've got some bad strategy idea (like, spending too many "lose" cards early). The first mission is hard, but not -that- hard (we've only ever played with 4 players). I'd suggest they just pretend they won and move on. Some of the other early missions were significantly easier. While I can certainly imagine not liking the game, my work group has played Gloomhaven literally every work day since we got it, and have scheduled multiple after-work meets (the first time we've done this) to play more. Our last mission was super tight, and ended up being one of our favorite missions ever despite a very vanilla setup.

We don't have a lot of complaints. We've gone overboard on storage with bead boxes and hanging files and little multi-row racks for the monster cards, and setup goes super fast. If you actually had to put the game away in the box between plays, I can see how setup would be a real downside. Otherwise, fiddliness is mostly pretty low (with the exception of the bloody Oozes: they're terrible for having too manage way too many damage counters as Oozes split and hurt themselves and regenerate, often a propos of nothing).

The print and play solo missions are great so far. We've liked almost all of the characters. Missions and enemies and items are satisfyingly varied, and the game unlocks at just the right pace.

Is it possible to put together a "travel version" of Gloomhaven? By which I mean, you obviously don't need most of the contents of the box every single session, but to what extent can you narrow down what you'll need for each mission before you get started? My group doesn't meet at my house and I'm hoping I don't need to lug the entire box with me every time we want to play.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

EBag posted:

Got to play Signorie on the weekend. Despite playing mostly euros for the last 4 years this was the first WYG title I've played, 2 of us were new and one had played once and the owner had played a few times. There's a ton of iconography to take in right off the bat and a plethora of options available to you, fortunately for the most part the iconography is pretty clear though some of the actions (mostly sending your women/dudes to the cities) have a few steps that we needed some reminders for the first few times we used it. I like how each die you take can be used in mutliple ways, the amount of different options and ways to build your engine mean with careful planning you can pull off some pretty cool combos that you might not at first think you'd be able to.I went heavy into the helpers, partially as there was a scoring round for them and also just because I like getting extra actions in games and it seemed to work pretty good, I used them to let me quickly place guys onto the crown track and shoot them all the way to the top to score lots of points when sending them off to the cities. I ended up winning though it was very close, everyones scores were within about 4 points of the player ahead of them and the second place player may have ended up winning but they misunderstood how the scoring worked when pulling guys off the different tracks.

I thought it was good but not great and pretty much what I expected from a WYG title based on what I've seen; a mostly abstract, low-interaction but heavy, puzzley euro with many options and tons of ways to score points. My biggest beef with the game from the one play is that it feels like it's too long, I'd probably like it better if it was 1 or 2 rounds shorter since the game doesn't change that much in terms of what you're doing from the first round to the last, you're just doing more of it. If you like heavier games with lots of planning and engine building it's worth trying.

Madeira is their best game, I think Signorie would be pretty far down the list. I happen to like Vasco de Gama, and of course they did the first Vinhos. Zhan Guo is good as well.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

CaptainRightful posted:

Is it possible to put together a "travel version" of Gloomhaven? By which I mean, you obviously don't need most of the contents of the box every single session, but to what extent can you narrow down what you'll need for each mission before you get started? My group doesn't meet at my house and I'm hoping I don't need to lug the entire box with me every time we want to play.

Yeah, this should totally work. The mission's page has a little "ingredients" list at the bottom that'll tell you the stuff you need (and, as you would guess, each mission uses a very small percentage of the total components). To be extra confident, I'd take a quick look through the decks for each monster and player character you bring, just to make sure you have the stuff they may use (ie. a few monsters can create traps or summon other monsters; I think these are listed on the mission page, but better safe than sorry). Similarly, some player characters can create obstacles, traps, or summons, so you'll want to make sure you have the right stuff for those as well.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Lorini posted:

Madeira is their best game, I think Signorie would be pretty far down the list. I happen to like Vasco de Gama, and of course they did the first Vinhos. Zhan Guo is good as well.

Yah I'm a big fan of Vinhos and Lacerda games in general. I'd like to try Zhan Guo as well as Nippon but they're hard to find now, fortunately the guy who owns Signorie also owns a bunch of their other games though I'm not sure if he has Madeira.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

terebikun posted:

I'm a big fan of Brew Crafters, but never played Agricola. Do you think if I introduced it to my friend who hates Agricola there's a chance he might like it?

Well, I kinda really hate Agricola, which is odd because I love everything else I've played by Uwe. So take that as you will. If you never describe it as Agricola, you can probably trick him.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Nice big Easter weekend of gaming.

First, it was my girlfriend's birthday on Thursday and we got in about four games of Captain Sonar and a round of Telestrations.

Sonar was another, unqualified hit. We had full player count and not only did everyone have a blast, but we even converted someone who had played it before and didn't enjoy it, firmly into the "loves it" camp. We are strict on two rules. The first is that if you yell STOP you have about two seconds to issue an order. If you take longer or issue an order only to have your engineer/first mate say that you in fact, cannot do it, you take a damage. It's kinda mean but it really makes sure that people are only yelling stop when they actually can do something. The second rule is to really make sure people are loud, and clear when they issue a directional order, and always make sure they say "HEAD" before the compass direction (as it is in the rules).

At its core it's a party game but playing co-op Battleship with friends with some great music in the background is a treat. I feel bad for people who had bad experiences with the game. It's not for everyone but my god, when you've got a good group it's tons of fun.

Telestrations was, as always, a great little game to wind things down with that everyone had fun with.

Then, on Saturday I got to teach Food Chain Magnate to three newbies. Everyone was scared at first but by the third restructuring phase everyone got the hang of it and you could see the gears turning in their heads as they set up businesses, hired cooks/truck drivers, and embarked on marketing adventures. One guy went full waitresses by the end too, and was doing pretty well for himself. I think the only parts that people had trouble understanding were the questions of routes and streets when it came to mailboxes and cart operators. Aside from that, the game was dirt simple to teach and it was hilarious seeing pricing wars between three businesses sandwiched next to each other. Everyone loved it and after it ended, were having conversations about what they'd do differently or where they messed up.

Then we learned Clash of Cultures. This was an extremely okay-to-good game. The bad out of the way first: the pieces are crap. Whatever plastic they made the figurines with was made of something that appeared to be melting and left a greasy residue on the tiles. Also, they were so poorly cut that a lot of them wouldn't stand properly due to strange uncut growths. And, the blue player didn't get any boat bases. They got the sails, but no boats. The reviewers were not kidding when they said the figurines were crap. At least the hexes, player boards, and chits were of good quality. Another negative was that the first few turns seemed pre-programmed to an extent that everyone appeared to be doing the same thing, whether accidentally or on purpose. By the second or third round we had gone in different directions but it appeared that going for spirituality and then priesthood for a free tech every turn was the way to go.

Aside from that, I enjoyed how much a civ-lite the game was. There was brinkmanship, people militarising, interesting tech choices, and a couple of wonders constructed. Everyone had a good time and we would play it again with different decisions. I just think that it needed more flavour and more naturally occurring problems rather than getting bad draws from the event deck.

And finally, on Sunday we played Karuba, Junk Art, and Panic on Wall St for the first time.

Karuba was Karuba. An instant hit that took three turns before everyone knew exactly what they were doing and then they had a great time.

Junk Art was a flop because my mother got mad at her own poor motor skills and rage-quit (but she liked the concept of the game).

Panic on Wall St was really good and I was excited to finally get a chance to play it. My only complaint was that since we played six-players, the rules said three managers and three investors. This was too many managers! There was not enough scarcity and the managers (including myself) were more worried about covering the $10k per stock operating fee, that we were happy to take a low buy price just to get it off the books for a turn. Since there were so many stocks available there was not much competition between the investors and negotiating a "close" deal was rarely done. Overall though, by the end everyone was really shouting at each other and hustling and making deals. I got killed and I wanted to play it again. Next time we've got a big group it'll be Sonar and Panic for sure.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I had no idea you could filter ratings by your Geekbuddies on BGG, man that's so much better for finding recs.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Similarly I had an Easter Gaming weekend, but with 7 of us we were somewhat limited with what we could play.

Someone earlier in the thread begged me not to play Eldritch Horror with 7 people. We went ahead anyway and I had one of the worst games I've ever played. Eldritch Horror is not fun with 7 players. The ONLY saving grace was that:

A) We were playing against Hypnos, who's whole theme is that he sends you to sleep and off to the dreamlands where bad things befall you, and because of all the lovely downtime, we were all fighting off sleep, which was super thematic, and
B) My first character was the soldier, who's first turn had him eating some magic mushrooms, and getting paranoia, hallucinations and hunger, then dying next turn, which was cool.

We played a few games of Scythe and it went down a storm. The second game was a bit of a stomp, one player won with 85 points having placed 6 stars, and the next highest was less than half of that with only 3 stars, but in retrospect, I'm 90% sure he'd misunderstood some rule, because I never managed to get an upgrade star, despite gunning for it almost exclusively with the 'industry' board, while he managed to get all of the player card-completionesque stars? Thinking about it, is that even physically possible? Difficult to pay attention to another 6 players though. Maybe he just hit perfect events? Of note he was Rusviet, and I was Albion, I don't know what his player board was.

ANYWAY Scythe is great. Like really great. I have to say though, I do feel like its very difficult to actively enact a plan, it feels like the game ends about two or three turns before any long term strategy can come to fruition, but I usually think that's a sign of a well designed game, plus playing with a full board is I suspect very different than if there are any empty spaces. Some people have said they didn't like the endgame being unpredictable / hard to plan for, and I can see some validity in that, hopefully the expansion coming out at the end of the year will fix that with its various different endgame scenarios. (I think the only spoiled one so far is when the fifth star is placed, there are two more rounds and then the factory explodes).

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

We bought the in laws a copy of Camel Up for Christmas so they'd have something non awful to play with their grandkids. We possibly overestimated their past successes with Carcassonne and a few other entry point games.

They admitted that they tried to play with just the two of them on three separate occasions and gave up due to the sheer complexity of rules. Finally they did play and from some odd comments I think they might have played with a camel each and done it as some kind of roll race.

The plan is to try and teach them tonight

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mojo Jojo posted:

We bought the in laws a copy of Camel Up for Christmas so they'd have something non awful to play with their grandkids. We possibly overestimated their past successes with Carcassonne and a few other entry point games.

They admitted that they tried to play with just the two of them on three separate occasions and gave up due to the sheer complexity of rules. Finally they did play and from some odd comments I think they might have played with a camel each and done it as some kind of roll race.

The plan is to try and teach them tonight

Don't you mean Amel Cup?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

EBag posted:

Yah I'm a big fan of Vinhos and Lacerda games in general. I'd like to try Zhan Guo as well as Nippon but they're hard to find now, fortunately the guy who owns Signorie also owns a bunch of their other games though I'm not sure if he has Madeira.

I played ZhanGuo once and hated it. It's the epitome of the type of modern Euro that tries to incorporate every mechanic, forming a needlessly complicated point salad completely unrelated to any theme. If you prefer spreadsheets and rules memorization to elegance and player interaction, you might enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
SU&SD mentioned Gloomhaven in their news writeup today, and I was sorta baffled by Quinn's comment:

quote:

I’ve done quite a lot of investigation as to why, and it’s not that Gloomhaven is such a spectacular game – even the big fans admit that – it’s more that there’s a truly indecent amount of it.

The entire reason I'm interested in the game is specifically because the mechanics of the game are incredibly exciting to me. Obviously I'd be less enchanted if there were only components to play 10 missions or whatever, but the grandiose nature of the game is second to how much fun I had playing the first session just on combat mechanics alone.