Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

andrew smash posted:

Is there a way to set the irish province names back to the dirty anglo versions? I basically can't read the gaelic ones and it's harder to keep straight what is going on where.

I think there's a game rule now for cultural province names, but you'll either need to restart your game or be handy with save editing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Hmm. I'm not really willing to restart but i'll remember that for later. Thanks.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
My Republic needed more trade posts, so I went seduction focus and popped out as many legitimized bastards as I could. I had 7 in the end.

Every single fuckin one of them ran off to join a knightly order, and I never even got consulted because they'd spread out into other courts for some reason.

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.
I finally completed the immortality quest chain successfully!

http://imgur.com/twZcwlZ

He was 29 when he completed it, survived Consumption (twice), and conquered his neighbors to try and from the Empire.

He fell short when he died at 67, making love to his wife...with the heart of a 29 year old. :stonklol:

The event happened twice, the first time it was a 15% chance to die. A few years later, it was 40%, and it did him in.

Just seems silly that should happen to a young immortal character.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Rebels and Warmongers continues to own. Turns out if you'e blinded in a battlefield duel, you have a chance of literally becoming Zatoichi, complete with a totally bitchin' nickname. :black101:

The personal combat skill bonus mitigates the penalty for being blind in the first place, so you don't even miss a step. And of course, even legendary blind swordmasters need a loyal doggo to help them around the palace. :3:

.....For a few years, anyway. :(

Catalina
May 20, 2008

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

My Republic needed more trade posts, so I went seduction focus and popped out as many legitimized bastards as I could. I had 7 in the end.

Every single fuckin one of them ran off to join a knightly order, and I never even got consulted because they'd spread out into other courts for some reason.

Were the children's' mothers in a different court than yours? To increase the trade post limit, you need a legitimized unlanded adult male in your court. A child in another court will have decisions made for it by the AI. Personally, I like to seduce a woman and invite her to court, that way she can be a baby making factory for kids I raise myself. The better you get at seduction, the more likely it is that women will find you so attractive they'll go to your court (sometimes without even bribing them.), so you can invite them to your court and seduce them really fast without having to wait for the court travel time.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Adequate posted:

It's 784 and some 14 year old Greek kid just arrived at the head of the Sunset Invasion.

:allears:

e; holy loving christ he just came of age and has 42 intrigue

That kid's someone's son of Satan.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Rebels and Warmongers continues to own. Turns out if you'e blinded in a battlefield duel, you have a chance of literally becoming Zatoichi, complete with a totally bitchin' nickname. :black101:

The personal combat skill bonus mitigates the penalty for being blind in the first place, so you don't even miss a step. And of course, even legendary blind swordmasters need a loyal doggo to help them around the palace. :3:

.....For a few years, anyway. :(

That's drat rad. It's one of the reasons I'm sticking with RaW despite some weirdness in education and councils.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chakan posted:

I'm a bit over 250 years old and a while ago I got lunatic.

Now I know how my vassals feel. I'm starting to hate this thread because it holds too many titles.

druthers
Oct 12, 2012
Overthrow Ruler is the CB the game uses when either the so named faction fires or a vassal refuses your entirely reasonable revocation request.
It turns out that there are two versions, one of which has the term “is_tyranny_cb” in its code.
I’m not sure how long it’s been like this, ‘cos it’s a while since I decided to revoke everything and start again, and I don’t know enough about the way the games code works to properly understand the whys and wherefores. But when I failed to revoke the kingdom of Scotland it turns out that all my vassals decided to join in, on Scotland’s side.
At the time, I was Liege to Britannia, Norway, the Papacy, and about 60-75% of the former Karling realms.
The war didn’t last very long.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

So if you're overthrown, does the title go to an heir, a pretender, or the head of the faction?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Pester posted:

So if you're overthrown, does the title go to an heir, a pretender, or the head of the faction?

Last time I tried to revoke a vassals title he declared war and won, all my titles went to my heir.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Main Paineframe posted:

Wow, the plague is brutal. I expected the deaths, sure. But having the taxes for every castle in my entire realm reduced to zero, all levies cut in half, and 25% attrition on armies? If I'd known it was gonna be that bad, I probably would've saved my money instead of blowing it all on last-minute hospital upgrades that ended up accomplishing precisely nothing.

I did that with something like 2k in the bank, which whittled down to about 1k which I blew on some mercs and conquered a load of other ravaged places that were struggling to rebuild :black101:

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Anyone have a preferred UI mod that increases character screen size other than Bigger Interface on the Workshop? Want to check out options.

The increase in the number of traits and character modifiers in the past few patches/DLCs have made that bottom corner an unreadable mess these days.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 17, 2017

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I'm not sure why I couldn't grapple with this game before, I'm having a great time now. What's the best way to lock down a county? I just spent a few years trying to stamp out a revolt, got sick of it and assassinated the ruler, then had to deal with several of his minor children who were being run by some fat bishop who I couldn't stab successfully. Now I have an eight year old in prison and all I want is a vassal that will shut up and pay his goddamn taxes.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Are there any DLCs that cause noticeable slow down? My computer is fairly old and I'd like to steer clear from anything that can.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

andrew smash posted:

I'm not sure why I couldn't grapple with this game before, I'm having a great time now. What's the best way to lock down a county? I just spent a few years trying to stamp out a revolt, got sick of it and assassinated the ruler, then had to deal with several of his minor children who were being run by some fat bishop who I couldn't stab successfully. Now I have an eight year old in prison and all I want is a vassal that will shut up and pay his goddamn taxes.

Use the find character button in the bottom right to find a male non-ruler of your culture, religion and preferably of your dynasty, that has the Content trait. Give them the title.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

andrew smash posted:

Sounds like you've already come up with a solution.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Keep in mind that sooner or later that content vassal is going to die and inevitably you're going to end up with some ambitious dickbag. Sooner or later, bad vassals have to be dealt with no matter what you do. I always try bribes, honorary titles, etc. first but if the guy's a rival or just plain committed to hating you for various reasons then keep yourself militarily strong and maintain good ties with as many vassals as you can and you should be fine if the rear end in a top hat(s) in question revolt. And if they revolt then you've got a wonderful reason to strip a title off of them and throw them in the oubliette until they die. I'm particularly fond of stripping a duke of his duchy title and giving it to one of the other, more favorable counts in that duchy and letting them keep them in line. If I'm an emperor I do the same with kingdom titles and the dukes within it.

Oh and if you form non-aggression pacts with vassals they'll stay out of factions and poo poo. Of course this somewhat limits your methods of being an rear end in a top hat to them but generally I don't gently caress over my vassals as long as they're playing nice too. I also like using conclave's empowered council and council war declaration to keep councilors from joining factions. Sure you get a demesne bonus from absolute authority but I don't mind giving that up for a more stable realm.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Apr 17, 2017

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

FalloutGod posted:

Are there any DLCs that cause noticeable slow down? My computer is fairly old and I'd like to steer clear from anything that can.

Legacy of Rome used to be notorious for it, since it would make Greek characters evaluate who they could castrate at every tick.

That was fixed when they got serious about profiling what made the game show.

It was also pointed out that unit packs cause nontrivial memory pressure, so don't go overboard and use them all.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Edison was a dick posted:

Legacy of Rome used to be notorious for it, since it would make Greek characters evaluate who they could castrate at every tick.

It was also pointed out that unit packs cause nontrivial memory pressure, so don't go overboard and use them all.

This is probably still one of my favorite bugs of all time. In a similar vein I also really loved hearing about the one goon MP game where everybody was in the Byzantine Empire and it ended up being a bunch of nerds negotiating to try to keep their dicks from getting cut off.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Honky Dong Country posted:

it ended up being a bunch of nerds negotiating to try to keep their dicks from getting cut off.

but enough about the latest goonmeet, ha ha ha

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006

Edison was a dick posted:

Thank you for the information.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

andrew smash posted:

revoke, put in a content family member

if you can'r revoke, fabricate a claim on it; you have a free revoke reason on anything you have a strong claim on

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
My favorite thing about it all is that the current title holder, the kid who is imprisoned currently, has a favorable opinion of me, i assume because everybody hated his poo poo bag dad so much.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Imperial administration owns because every vassal serves at the Emperor's pleasure and you can revoke all of their poo poo at a whim.

Of course, getting there is a pain in the rear end because you have to have absolute crown authority and no council rights, and it can be tedious as your viceroys constantly die and you have to hand-pick their successor. HIP and CK2+ have a scripted event that make this a lot easier though; basically whenever a viceroy dies or you get a little pop-up saying "hey, do you want to give their viceroyalty to their kid, or someone else?" and then if you pick "someone else" you get a couple of pre-selected choices from your court or the duchy's counts. It even pops up if once viceroy seizes another viceroy's duchy and asks if your Imperial Majesty wants to let them keep it. I always say no :agesilaus:

Plus, you get a fancy purple portrait frame! Win-win-win.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 17, 2017

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
For future reference, if an Agnatic line dies out the titles will go to another family, not the women in that family. Now I need to engineer a crisis for Germany so I can press my daughters weak claim...

Also, if I had some tributaries and I wanted to fracture their kingdoms, what would people recommend? I'm thinking it's best to wait till a regency then whip up a couple vassals to rebel, but I feel like there should be a better way to get a tributary to be absorbed.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Chakan posted:

For future reference, if an Agnatic line dies out the titles will go to another family, not the women in that family. Now I need to engineer a crisis for Germany so I can press my daughters weak claim..

If the title is still agnatic you won't be able to press your daughter's claim at all until/unless you are playing as her.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Hmm, I'm starting to think I should just find another claimant. I can't think of a way to influence a titles inheritance laws from outside the realm. Every time I play I get these flashes of insight that allow me to make great progress towards a goal, then get stumped on something else for a decade.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

andrew smash posted:

You can always just leave the vassal in prison; someone in jail is fairly limited in their ability to cause trouble, and there's nothing to stop you from imprisoning someone for the rest of their life. Alternately, you can try to make as many of your vassals people with the Content trait as possible, as they're far less likely to cause trouble. Either way, though, that'll only last a single generation.

Chakan posted:

For future reference, if an Agnatic line dies out the titles will go to another family, not the women in that family. Now I need to engineer a crisis for Germany so I can press my daughters weak claim...

Also, if I had some tributaries and I wanted to fracture their kingdoms, what would people recommend? I'm thinking it's best to wait till a regency then whip up a couple vassals to rebel, but I feel like there should be a better way to get a tributary to be absorbed.

You don't really want to break up tributaries, usually. They're giving you a big chunk of their money, and you can call them into your wars as allies. Just by having them, you get stronger while they get weaker, so I usually take the opportunity to go bully other nations instead.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

My M&M game is going pretty well, my first guy died after a decade leaving only his 1-year-old daughter, but to my surprise, things in Flanders held together pretty well and she became a Grand Duchess renowned for her exceptional piety. I really like the societies you can join, it gives such a huge amount of character to your, well, characters.

Hilariously, although showing up essentially as soon as they possibly could (someone had the Son of Satan stuff in the first two years of the game lmao) the Aztecs have mostly stalled out, they own most of Morocco and southern Iberia and that's it.

Also hilariously, Charlie died in combat against the Umayyads about three or four years into the game, meaning Karloman inherited everything, meaning everything soon fell the gently caress apart. France and Germany are a mess.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

You don't really want to break up tributaries, usually. They're giving you a big chunk of their money, and you can call them into your wars as allies. Just by having them, you get stronger while they get weaker, so I usually take the opportunity to go bully other nations instead.

They are part of the old Roman empire and I have spent most of my 250 years trying to restore the old borders. I wasn't too worried about it, till I became a lunatic. Now I am solely focused on breaking down these kingdoms and making their crowns my own.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Someone please explain me this blurb from Rebels and Warmongers

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Presumably it means there are special events for duels between horses and humans.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I can imagine a more mundane explanation (it's for modeling stuff like unhorsing and infantry vs. cavalry generally) but I prefer yours.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

It's for Glitterhoof v. Glitterhoof

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

DrPop posted:

Someone please explain me this blurb from Rebels and Warmongers

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I can imagine a more mundane explanation (it's for modeling stuff like unhorsing and infantry vs. cavalry generally) but I prefer yours.

Basically this. Battlefield duels play out differently if one or both of the combatants is on horseback (which is in turn determined by if you're breeding horses or not). Naturally mounted fighters have a huge advantage over people on foot (one of the options in the opening stage is literally trampling them into the dust), but if they manage to unhorse you you might get really loving hurt when you hit the ground.

It's a lot more dynamic and unpredictable than the HIP/CK2+ duel engine but my one complaint is that RaW's events don't fire immediately after one another like the duel engine does, so sometimes a duel ends a while after the actual battle does.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

ninjahedgehog posted:

Imperial administration owns because every vassal serves at the Emperor's pleasure and you can revoke all of their poo poo at a whim.

Super annoyed you can't get it or something like it as a Merchant Republic.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

BenRGamer posted:

I think I like the current dynamic better, where you just stab the everliving poo poo out of anybody who gives you any guff or stands in the way of your heir and an electoral victory. I pretty much live in the intrigue focus while playing a republic. It also fits in really well with Satanics for obvious reasons. But honestly being a total bastard in a republic has worked pretty well where most other government types would get reasons for revocation easier.

Plus if you stab an entire dynasty to death, it's kind of like a revocation...hehhehheh....heh.....ehhhh. :shepface:

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 18, 2017

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

BenRGamer posted:

It's been a long time and a few patches back, but you were able to get it by taking over a title that has IA law already (e.g. Byzantines). No idea if that still works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I'm currently futzing around, considering another run to convert to EUIV (possibly romans, jerusalem, persia, or india), and I'm pondering heresies. Specifically, what do heresies do? I'm aware they're the wrong religion for relations purposes, but aside from most of the catholic ones (that seem to do stuff in terms of allowing women or removing the pope), being a heretic doesn't seem to do anything.

• Locked thread