Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kumba posted:

I feel sorry for everyone who does not have Publix, poor souls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Publix is also employee-owned so I try and shop there for 90% of my groceries

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

Anyone else have Albertson's as a local grocer? It's weird, because they seem to not realize by having less stores, they don't reach so many customers. No one is going to drive 2 miles to hit a certain grocery store, but I see tons of ads for them, lots on the radio, lots of coupons....and I think I know where maybe 1 is anymore.

We used to have them down here in Florida but many have closed due to the supremacy of the one true grocery store Publix.

kumba posted:

Legit it is the only thing about FL I missed and now I'm grateful I have access to it again.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

You Are A Elf posted:

There is quite literally only one Albertson's I can think of in town, and I never see the parking lot as full as other grocery stores that are better and cheaper. It was changed to a Haggen Fine Foods or some poo poo to try and be more upscale, then liquidated out about a year later and turned back into an Albertson's :classiclol:

Haggen is another chain entirely. Also a wonderful topic for this thread though they are technically not circling the drain anymore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haggen posted:

2015 expansion

In late 2014, Haggen agreed to purchase and rebrand 146 West Coast Safeway and Albertsons locations over the coming year as part of anti-monopoly requirements following the Albertsons-Safeway merger. This increased the chain's locations from 18 to 164, and its employees from about 2,000 to about 10,000. In Southern California, the rollout of the new Haggen supermarkets were to be phased in between March and June 2015, with the first Haggen store opening in Carlsbad, California on March 11, 2015. The entire conversion and rebranding process proceeded north to south over the five months from February to June 2015.

On August 14, 2015, Haggen announced that it was closing 27 stores, including 16 supermarkets in California, 5 in Oregon, 5 in Arizona, and 1 in Washington.

On September 1, 2015, Haggen announced that the company had filed a lawsuit against Albertsons LLC and Albertsons Holdings LLC ("Albertsons") seeking more than $1 billion in damages. The complaint, which was filed that day in United States District Court for the District of Delaware, alleged that following Haggen's December 2014 purchase of 146 Albertsons and Safeway stores, Albertsons engaged in "coordinated and systematic efforts to eliminate competition and Haggen as a viable competitor in over 130 local grocery markets in five states," and "made false representations to both Haggen and the FTC about Albertsons' commitment to a seamless transformation of the stores into viable competitors under the Haggen banner."

Chapter 11 bankruptcy

On September 8, 2015, Haggen Food & Pharmacy filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection and entered talks to sell many Haggen Food & Pharmacy stores. Haggen announced pending closures of all California stores shortly after. On September 24, 2015, Haggen Food & Pharmacy announced its plan to exit from the Pacific Southwest market with all closures complete by mid November 2015. It announced it would realign its operations around 37 core stores and one stand-alone pharmacy in the Pacific Northwest as part of the Chapter 11 process.

A bankruptcy auction for the remaining core 33 stores of the Haggen chain was set for February 5, 2016.

I have no idea why a small grocery store chain decided that becoming 5x as big was a Good Idea. There are still a few Haggen stores left, they ended up losing about three stores and who knows how much money.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Agreed, Publix is one of the few things I miss about Florida too.

I like Kroger because they're union. And the pharmacist at my local one is awesome.

Welp, that's my grocery store story.

Have we talked about Family Christian Bookstores closing yet?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I had no idea Family Christian Bookstores was a chain, I thought it was just a local place here closing

Good riddance

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

kumba posted:

I had no idea Family Christian Bookstores was a chain, I thought it was just a local place here closing

Good riddance

Same. Saw some signs along the side of the road (EVERYTHING MUST GO!!!!) and thought it was a local single store closing. Never saw anyone there.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

kumba posted:

Giant is okay

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

BloodBag posted:

Having lived in Colorado, California, and Texas, I'm so sorry most of you don't get to live with the amazing store that is H-E-B. San Antonio gave a gift of great grocery stores to Texas with that. gently caress Safeway-owned chains, they all smell like rotten seafood when you walk in the door.

I just spent a week in Texas and I would agree. H-E-B has friendly people to help everywhere, and their prices were 25% lower on most items than my local grocery chain. Incidentally, my local chain just bought out their major competitor last year and now can't afford to pay their liquor distributor. The shelves in the liquor department are nearly bare, which will piss off the average Wisconsinite more than dry cheese curds. To attempt to make up for it they have raised their prices on everything and cut sales so people are leaving in droves. Nice strategy there. Enjoy your trip down the drain.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

monster on a stick posted:

Haggen is another chain entirely. Also a wonderful topic for this thread though they are technically not circling the drain anymore.

I have no idea why a small grocery store chain decided that becoming 5x as big was a Good Idea. There are still a few Haggen stores left, they ended up losing about three stores and who knows how much money.

Haggen's is / was my hometown chain, the core stores are still called "Haggen's" (including the flagship in Bellingham, of which I have lots of fond memories), but Albertson's owns them now. Literally the next paragraph from your wiki link:

quote:

On March 11, 2016, Haggen announced it was selling its 29 remaining stores to Albertsons for $106 million

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Are all of these American Supermarkets?

Our ones have weird names but I can't imagine them being that far away. Even in my bumblefuck home town there were at least 5 within a 5-10 minute drive.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I'm sorry that I didn't bring this up when we were still on movies. I was wondering though, aren't a few of the big studios kind of teetering on collapse? Like, the need for those big movies and if they don't hit these crazy goals have put them in precarious positions. Suicide Squad made like 3/4x its budget but it only broke even for the studio. I know that Hollywood finances don't help as everything is obscured as much as possible.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

I'm sorry that I didn't bring this up when we were still on movies. I was wondering though, aren't a few of the big studios kind of teetering on collapse? Like, the need for those big movies and if they don't hit these crazy goals have put them in precarious positions. Suicide Squad made like 3/4x its budget but it only broke even for the studio. I know that Hollywood finances don't help as everything is obscured as much as possible.

Sony Pictures is in trouble, but the rest seem to be doing ok as far as I know. Theres no way Suicide Squad was a failure when it made more than the studios projection and the studio gave the director a next big budget project and are in talks to make another Suicide Squad. As is ever the adage in Hollywood, if you lost money on the first one why would you make a sequel; see the harry potter films where WB tried to claim they all lost money despite having made 8 of them.

There is a lot more to a films profit than just the Box Office. Batman v Superman or Man of Steel had already earned its entire budget back on product placements and tie ins before it ever hit theaters so if you cant make money doing that woof.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Comic book movies.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
How are restaurants doing? I took a road trip last month to visit family which required me to drive though all of Western Ohio. I saw signs for Steak N Shake which I'd not had in years so I decided to stop in. I saw a notice that they now have a "Kids Eat Free" all day promotion. The food was not at all what I remembered and the burger seemed mostly bun. I ordered a side of slaw and it was halfway frozen.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Barudak posted:

Sony Pictures is in trouble, but the rest seem to be doing ok as far as I know. Theres no way Suicide Squad was a failure when it made more than the studios projection and the studio gave the director a next big budget project and are in talks to make another Suicide Squad. As is ever the adage in Hollywood, if you lost money on the first one why would you make a sequel; see the harry potter films where WB tried to claim they all lost money despite having made 8 of them.

There is a lot more to a films profit than just the Box Office. Batman v Superman or Man of Steel had already earned its entire budget back on product placements and tie ins before it ever hit theaters so if you cant make money doing that woof.

That sounds more like Hollywood accounting than anything. If memory serves those did very, very well and made more than their budgets. However Hollywood, being Hollywood, works a lot of accounting magic to avoid paying for things. This is why Forrest Gump never got a sequel made. They did that to the book's author who agreed to take a piece of the profit. Very mysteriously there was no profit! The guy went "wow gently caress you guys" and refused to hand over the rights for a sequel.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

queserasera posted:

Agreed, Publix is one of the few things I miss about Florida too.

I like Kroger because they're union. And the pharmacist at my local one is awesome.

Welp, that's my grocery store story.

Have we talked about Family Christian Bookstores closing yet?

Eh, every Kroger employee looks miserable and they make less than Publix workers so I'm not sure if that whole union thing is working out for them.

Publix is great, but we go to Market Basket whenever we're up North and man that place rocks. The employees went out strike after the board tried to get rid of the long time CEO. Which I don't think I've ever heard of happening before.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That sounds more like Hollywood accounting than anything. If memory serves those did very, very well and made more than their budgets. However Hollywood, being Hollywood, works a lot of accounting magic to avoid paying for things. This is why Forrest Gump never got a sequel made. They did that to the book's author who agreed to take a piece of the profit. Very mysteriously there was no profit! The guy went "wow gently caress you guys" and refused to hand over the rights for a sequel.

Wasn't it some insultingly low amount of money, like half a million or something? And yeah, that's why there never was a sequel, despite him having written one.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

What on earth would a Forrest Gump sequel be about?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
If I can go back to Grocerchat for a moment, I'll always have a soft spot for Fresh 'n Easy. They had an interesting selection, but their goldmine was the discount foods aisle. Why yes I would love cinnamon rolls and mashed potatoes for $2 thank you.

Tesco rolled a bunch of them out but apparently did little research in the way of what products to offer so they were trying to sell Americans some Watercress Salad poo poo. Their fresh breads also had no preservatives so they went moldy real quick.

Sadly there's like 3 in my area, all green husks.

whiteyfats posted:

Wasn't it some insultingly low amount of money, like half a million or something? And yeah, that's why there never was a sequel, despite him having written one.
The sequel was supposed to be not as charming anyway. Part of what made Gump fun was the alternate history of the American Boomer.

For creative accounting are also Spïnal Täp, who according to Harry Shearer only paid out like $500 in royalties for the actors.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Badger of Basra posted:

From what I remember, he goes to the moon and wins the super bowl.

So it would just be more of the same.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Barudak posted:

Yeah, and also don't forget that most of what gets reported is domestic box office, and that Suicide Squad, Man of Steel, and Batman vs Superman all brought in more internationally than they did domestically. In fact, most blockbusters are gonna make more money at the box office outside the U.S.

Factor in the international box office and you've got a 3:1 to 4:1 box office to budget ratio. Even with a crazy advertising budget not officially included in the production costs, these movies are stupid profitable, and that's before all the other ways that these movies make money beyond the box office take, as you point out.

If anything, the international market helps to explain how style over substance directors like Zach Snyder keep getting hundreds of millions. Batman vs Superman did about $100 million more internationally than Guardians of the Galaxy, despite the same domestic performance, and while I'm sure DC wishes it performed like Civil War, I bet they're pretty satisfied with how it did overall.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rue21 is closing 400 stores and going online only.

As for movies, foreign BO is the big ticket now, see F8 where it is the highest grossing opening of all time but did it on only 98 million in the US.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, and also don't forget that most of what gets reported is domestic box office, and that Suicide Squad, Man of Steel, and Batman vs Superman all brought in more internationally than they did domestically. In fact, most blockbusters are gonna make more money at the box office outside the U.S.

Factor in the international box office and you've got a 3:1 to 4:1 box office to budget ratio. Even with a crazy advertising budget not officially included in the production costs, these movies are stupid profitable, and that's before all the other ways that these movies make money beyond the box office take, as you point out.

If anything, the international market helps to explain how style over substance directors like Zach Snyder keep getting hundreds of millions. Batman vs Superman did about $100 million more internationally than Guardians of the Galaxy, despite the same domestic performance, and while I'm sure DC wishes it performed like Civil War, I bet they're pretty satisfied with how it did overall.

If you go through Box Office Mojo and look at domestic versus foreign takes, it's only been in the last decade or so that foreign box office actually made a difference. I guess the rest of the world finally caught up to American consumerism (or China started actually paying to watch movies).

The biggest hit in England used to be Mamma Mia!. I guess Brits really like Pierce Bronsan singing.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

whiteyfats posted:

Good, the first book was complete garbage and I'm sure the second would've been even worse.

edit: good about no sequel, not cool about not paying him (no matter how poo poo the book was)

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The Gump novel sequel had Forest 2 inventing methane harvesting from trash, and new Coke as a kid. Because of course.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Badger of Basra posted:

It had his son as a super genius and oysters instead of shrimp.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The first novel was alright, the second was just bad.

Jen-nay didn't die in the original, either.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
So, this is one case where the movie was better than the book

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Krispy Kareem posted:

If you go through Box Office Mojo and look at domestic versus foreign takes, it's only been in the last decade or so that foreign box office actually made a difference. I guess the rest of the world finally caught up to American consumerism (or China started actually paying to watch movies).

The biggest hit in England used to be Mamma Mia!. I guess Brits really like Pierce Bronsan singing.

Yeah, that's about when the major studios really started doing simultaneous worldwide releases (or even releasing early overseas).

Before that, studios would typically wait a couple of months before releasing overseas, which would cause movies to perform poorly because the folks who really wanted it see it just pirated it, which meant no one went to see it in the theater, and things got stuck in a vicious circle until about a decade ago.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If you want a really crazy one, Lou Perlman was being paid as a member of NSYNC and Backstreet Boys despite being a fat pedophile because his accounting tricks cost the actual band members almost all the money they were supposed to be making.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pick posted:

a fat pedophile

Holy poo poo.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I understand how people can dislike Uber, there is a lot of valid criticism that needs to be addressed.

But regular taxis are so loving awful at their one job that I still root for Uber to utterly destroy all of them. NYC and Chicago are probably the only areas where old-school cab companies are remotely functional, every other city I've visited has been total poo poo as far as paying somebody to take you across town.

The ideal situation is that Uber goes out of business and somebody buys the infrastructure for pennies on the dollar and manages it better and treats employees better. But if Uber keeps on ticking long enough to drive old-school cab companies out of business I'll still be fine with that. I was in Boston a few weeks ago and the Uber drivers always got me around VERY reliably for $10 or so. The regular cab companies always tried to tell me some bullshit minimum, refused to take credit cards to the point where the cab driver would offer to take me to an ATM, and be so unreliable with expected arrival time that you couldn't even get to a movie early enough to get good seats.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Eh, every Kroger employee looks miserable and they make less than Publix workers so I'm not sure if that whole union thing is working out for them.

Publix is great, but we go to Market Basket whenever we're up North and man that place rocks. The employees went out strike after the board tried to get rid of the long time CEO. Which I don't think I've ever heard of happening before.

Market Basket is the poo poo. They treat their employees super well - the teenager stockboys actually seem to want to a good job. It makes a difference too, which seems to be a shocker to other companies. The produce is always well stocked, the fish and meat counters are always busy, things are neat and tidy, and the prices are really low. It's the grocery store champion in my opinion. Well, minus the high-end stuff of course.

Tumble has a new favorite as of 22:33 on Apr 17, 2017

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tumble posted:

I understand how people can dislike Uber, there is a lot of valid criticism that needs to be addressed.

But regular taxis are so loving awful at their one job that I still root for Uber to utterly destroy all of them. NYC and Chicago are probably the only areas where old-school cab companies are remotely functional, every other city I've visited has been total poo poo as far as paying somebody to take you across town.

The ideal situation is that Uber goes out of business and somebody buys the infrastructure for pennies on the dollar and manages it better and treats employees better. But if Uber keeps on ticking long enough to drive old-school cab companies out of business I'll still be fine with that. I was in Boston a few weeks ago and the Uber drivers always got me around for $10 or so, the regular cab companies always tried to tell me some bullshit minimum, refused to take credit cards to the point where the cab driver would offer to take me to an ATM, and be so unreliable with expected arrival time that you couldn't even get to a movie early enough to get good seats.

Market Basket is the poo poo. They treat their employees super well - the teenager stockboys actually seem to want to a good job.

Ever "report" a taxi driver? I'd imagine that has great impact. Lol

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Burt Sexual posted:

Ever "report" a taxi driver? I'd imagine that has great impact. Lol

I got physically thrown out of a YellowCab when i lived in SF lmbo

I got a ride home from the bars at like 1:45am, dude got sorta lost and obviously didn't know the area at all. We stop a good clip from house because I'm sick of watching the meter tick up and I hand him my card and he kinda pretends to make a motion to run it but stops and says "I'm not taking cards tonight" and I'm like "Well it's clearly not broken I can see it turned on with my own eyes and I'm out of cash" and the guy's like "well we will have to go to a bank machine" and I say "no, I'm tired and I'm not pulling money out just because you want to cheap out on card fees that is not my problem, you already got lost so just run the loving card."

dude starts swearing at me in some language i do not speak, and then he rolls down the window and holds my card out like he's going to throw my card out the window. So I kicked the seat and said "You better not loving throw my card out the loving window!" but he did, so I kicked the seat again, at which point he got out of the car, opened my door and tossed me out of the loving cab lol

but i did not have to pay for that cab ride!

Tumble has a new favorite as of 22:50 on Apr 17, 2017

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Azathoth posted:

This is also part of why Hollywood has been going toward flashy action movies with amazing CGI but mediocre, bland plots. Most of the world doesn't understand American culture, American memes, and American ways of thinking all that much but absolutely everybody understands giant robots, super powers, and explosions. Aside from that America is only 300 million out of over 7 billion and let's face it, everybody who can get to a movie theater will probably shell out a few dollars to watch a movie every now and again.

As much as some people like to pooh pooh and go "lol targeting the lowest common denominator" almost everybody likes the idea of occasionally turning their brain off and watching things explode for an hour or two. Action movies and epic fight scenes are where the most money is.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It's my understanding that studios get a much smaller cut of the international box office compared to the domestic, so they still prefer a movie to be a huge hit domestically but the international can be a consolation prize.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
My take is cab companies treat the customer like poo poo, but turn a profit doing so.

Uber treats the driver, and municipalities like poo poo, and mostly treats the customer okay, but is burning money in spite of already shifting the costs of owning and operating a fleet of cars to the driver 100%.

Even if they get legal, trusted self driving cars working, they will have to pay for them and all the costs of owning a car. Is a self driving car, should it exist in the next 5-10 years expected to cost what an Uber driver grosses per ride?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tumble posted:

I got physically thrown out of a YellowCab when i lived in SF lmbo

I got a ride home from the bars at like 1:45am, dude got sorta lost and obviously didn't know the area at all. We stop a good clip from house because I'm sick of watching the meter tick up and I hand him my card and he kinda pretends to make a motion to run it but stops and says "I'm not taking cards tonight" and I'm like "Well it's clearly not broken I can see it turned on with my own eyes and I'm out of cash" and the guy's like "well we will have to go to a bank machine" and I say "no, I'm tired and I'm not pulling money out just because you want to cheap out on card fees that is not my problem, you already got lost so just run the loving card."

dude starts swearing at me in some language i do not speak, and then he rolls down the window and holds my card out like he's going to throw my card out the window. So I kicked the seat and said "You better not loving throw my card out the loving window!" but he did, so I kicked the seat again, at which point he got out of the car, opened my door and tossed me out of the loving cab lol

but i did not have to pay for that cab ride!

I've had similar, but did you report him? Like Uber seems to treat bad ratings like the plague, especially the drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

WampaLord posted:

It's my understanding that studios get a much smaller cut of the international box office compared to the domestic, so they still prefer a movie to be a huge hit domestically but the international can be a consolation prize.

They absolutely get a smaller cut no question, but that cut has been as far as I know increasing quite a bit as studios get bigger and do this more often. Ive heard 50% overall thrown out although there are assuredly markets where its much much lower (china).