Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

MMF Freeway posted:

They mean the darkmoon covenant ring

Yeah! Darkmoon Covenant; sorry for not being more specific.

Your Computer is just confusing me so much. I think he's making jokes but I'M SO CONFUSED. :psyboom:

MMF Freeway posted:

I always liked the ring of favor and protection.

Someone marry me with it

We considered this one, but I really really like the look of the Sun Princess ring in 3. It's so feminine and pretty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

What is the most fun 'fast'-weapon, compatible with Pyro build? I've gone sword/mage, strength and fth/str in the past.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I think the biggest hitch in his logic is how much he invokes Demon's Souls. It's 2017 tyool no one gives a poo poo about that game if they even heard of it. Like sure he's trying to respond to initial reactions to ds2 but a little late on that. He should be talking about the game's merits today, which would include where it stands compared to 3. I do think 2 is better than 1. And 3 is better than 2. So I still will never go back to 2 because for as much as they get right the core mechanical experience has always been improving.
Also I think the worst thing he pushes is that attrition is dumb and boring. It's like the defining mechanic of the series (that being games called Dark Souls) as it ties into the themes at play. Press on or hollow.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

What body armor are you using here?

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Southern Heel posted:

What is the most fun 'fast'-weapon, compatible with Pyro build? I've gone sword/mage, strength and fth/str in the past.

The gross Witch Locks because it means some illucid undead strung together dissected demonic hair that sets itself on fire.

Time_pants posted:

It looks like sunset helm, dancers chest, ruin leggings and the fashionable golden bracelets.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

MMF Freeway posted:

I always liked the ring of favor and protection.

Someone marry me with it

I only have a horsehoof ring if you still wanna do this

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Southern Heel posted:

the current pyro meta weapon is the demon scar. it has the curved sword moveset which automatically makes it really good. main problem is it is pure fire damage but youre a pyro so just spamming dark damage is always an option too.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Time_pants posted:

That's the Dancer's armor, it's very fancy :sparkles:

my cat is norris posted:

Your Computer is just confusing me so much. I think he's making jokes but I'M SO CONFUSED. :psyboom:

:iiam:
nah I'm a huge nerd, I recognized the ring immediately which is why I posted about how pretty it was :kimchi:

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

Quantum of Phallus posted:

This is very cool
The Golden Crown makes everyone look stylish.

FauxGateau posted:

It looks like sunset helm, dancers chest, ruin leggings and the fashionable golden bracelets.
That's exactly it! You have a keen eye.

basalt fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 17, 2017

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Slides ring onto bride's finger

*bride does a 4k backstab on the priest*

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

my cat is norris posted:

Yeah! Darkmoon Covenant; sorry for not being more specific.

We considered this one, but I really really like the look of the Sun Princess ring in 3. It's so feminine and pretty!

Totally. Going with the DS3 variant was a good choice. Plus ya know a little hp regen always comes in handy.

Node posted:

I only have a horsehoof ring if you still wanna do this

This is going to be a londor wedding isn't it...

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
That setup looks incredibly Final Fantasy. In an Amano sense, at least. Fancy as hell.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
dancer set looks v. pretty on girls :blush:

(fake edit: or guys, if that's what you're into)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The best ring is clearly the Cat's Ring from Demon's Souls.

Why?

Because it has the best icon:

(seriously that's what it looks like ingame)

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I think the fundamental point of the hbomber video that I agree with is that while DS2 isn't a better dark souls 1, it's a better game overall, but what that loud minority wanted was another and better dark souls 1.

Also that mathiosis video is really bad.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I wish I knew whose cat it was. The moment the Cat's Ring was found, it never left my finger.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is there any reason to use bows in this game? I maxed out the darkmoon bow since I have 60 int and I never use it since it does gently caress all damage

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jose posted:

Is there any reason to use bows in this game? I maxed out the darkmoon bow since I have 60 int and I never use it since it does gently caress all damage

Infinite source of ranged damage. Mainly useful in PvE, not so great in PvP. Crossbows do more damage with no stat investment and can be fired with one hand, making it easier to switch to them for a single shot.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
The input buffering is really weird in this game, it feels. I can't count the number of times where I've been trying to roll out of the way of something lethal, only for another attack to come out instead. Don't imagine there's a setting I could change, is there? It's crazy how sluggish it feels compared to Bloodborne, or even DS2.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hanales posted:

Also that mathiosis video is really bad.

Nah man he has a sexy Irish accent. It's worth it for his six hour dark souls commentary tbh.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Jose posted:

Greatbows are fun and do a lot of damage. Can be fun in PvP with the obscuring ring to pot shot people and freak them out from a distance. Can also cheese enemies you don't feel like fighting from quite the distance.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Jose posted:

To do damage at range if you don't have magic.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What's the most cost-effective spell in terms of FP to healing ratio?

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I think the biggest hitch in his logic is how much he invokes Demon's Souls. It's 2017 tyool no one gives a poo poo about that game if they even heard of it. Like sure he's trying to respond to initial reactions to ds2 but a little late on that. He should be talking about the game's merits today, which would include where it stands compared to 3. I do think 2 is better than 1. And 3 is better than 2. So I still will never go back to 2 because for as much as they get right the core mechanical experience has always been improving.
Also I think the worst thing he pushes is that attrition is dumb and boring. It's like the defining mechanic of the series (that being games called Dark Souls) as it ties into the themes at play. Press on or hollow.

Attrition is bad, which is why the addition of a healing source that can run out and costs resources to replenish from one specific source is a good idea. Also getting killed while trying to heal is never fun but making it even harder to not to get killed while trying to heal until you boost your Agility is good.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
If only you could lock on to the heads of enemies when you equipped a bow/crossbow.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Dark souls isn't even HDR

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

What's the most cost-effective spell in terms of FP to healing ratio?

Great heal. The faster the spell the worse it is for fp to HP. But heal aid or projected is the only you can sneak in during pvp

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Go back to last page's bonfire, where that question was already answered

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

hanales posted:

I think the fundamental point of the hbomber video that I agree with is that while DS2 isn't a better dark souls 1, it's a better game overall, but what that loud minority wanted was another and better dark souls 1.

oh cool someone finally said "loud minority" :jerkbag:
it does things differently, and you might prefer these differences and in at least some regards it improves on the original. That's not hard to say. It isn't hard to like a game without being a smug douchebag about it. Stop that.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Augus posted:

it does things differently, and you might prefer these differences and in at least some regards it improves on the original. That's not hard to say. It isn't hard to like a game without being a smug douchebag about it. Stop that.

There is absolutely a lot of people that whined about it not being a clone of DS1 though. They do the same thing about DS3.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
:psyduck: DS3 is the cloniest clone of DS1 that ever cloned

DS2 wasn't and that is fine

everybody gets something they want

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Dark Souls 1, Dark Souls 2, and Dark Souls 3 are good games

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Internet Kraken posted:

There is absolutely a lot of people that whined about it not being a clone of DS1 though. They do the same thing about DS3.

E: Ah fuckit

New Concept Hole fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 17, 2017

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Augus posted:

The people who scream about metas and nitpick animation details are not the majority of people who play the game. The people relitigating the iron keep elevator are also not the majority. The majority doesn't give a poo poo about stuff like that. It's the very definition of a vocal minority. Nothing smug about it. But maybe you could invite me to a git gud group on steam to follow that awesome post up.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

I've watched a ton of first playthroughs and it's no exaggeration to say that a a lot of people were in essence mad it wasn't DS1, yeah :(

A lot of people who had played a ton of DS1 and gotten really used to its quirks were completely baffled that DS2 was different from DS1 and their previous Pro Gamer Knowledge no longer applied (which made them angry). I watched a guy get angry that his attacks were "completely phasing through enemies" (and by extension that DS2 had crappy hit detection/hitboxes) when in reality he was whiffing half his attacks because he wasn't used to the range of the Mace two-hand moveset in DS2. :ms: There were people mad that the B-TEAM :byodood: removed ripostes from the game, except of course they were mashing R1 thinking parries were identical to DS1 and never even made an effort to understand why it wasn't working.

That kind of first impression tends to stick, and I don't think any of these people enjoyed their playthroughs. Not because of actual problems with the game, but their expectations of it being just like DS1 and their refusal to learn how the game actually worked.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 17, 2017

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

New Concept Hole posted:

It's not a legitimate complaint that the game is so different from the first one? It's even stranger now that it's pretty much the one-off game for a lot of changes, good and bad.

i think to most sane people diffrent isnt much of a problem. the question is, was it fun. its understandable that some people are frustrated that their cheesy strategies like absuing shields isnt as effective in the next game, but some dont care because theyll just figure new tricks to cheese the game with.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The funny/sad thing is that in addition to the whining about it not being enough like DS1, there were people that claimed DS2 didn't have any original ideas on launch and copied DS1 too much. That's the problem with sequels. People have all sorts of expectations you can't realistically meet.

I'm glad this series is getting put to bed for a few years. I think another Souls-esque game like Bloodborne will be good for From.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I can't believe people doing recognize dancer plate. That's really good armor for it's weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
What is the current opinion on KB&M play because after way too many hundreds of hours of both play styles I still feel like KB&M can give you an edge in unlocked combat even though it's clearly not the way the game was designed to be played