Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

So it's Breloom, but faster & with a much wider move pool. Does it get Spore too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rangpur posted:

So it's Breloom, but faster & with a much wider move pool. Does it get Spore too?

It's like Virizion if Virizion traded the power of its STABs for the widest physical movepool (fighting/grass/ground/rock/ghost/poison/bug/psychic/fire/ice/electric/dark) and a disgustingly good stat spread. 115 speed, 115 attack, and 90/85/90 defenses.

It lacks Spore but it has Stun Spore, Leech Seed, and Synthesis, and a choice between Bulk Up and Swords Dance for stat-up moves.

And that's the problem with Garlikid as a guy, you can't really be sure what it's going to do because it can subpunch or set-up sweep or be an offensive pivot, all extremely well.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
It has a BST of 600, so it's basically a legendary Pokemon.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Does it get Shadow Sneak? Because if so, Swords Dance/Mach Punch/Shadow Sneak/grass move (Seed Bomb?) sound like a ridiculously good set.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

By the way, since this whole thing was optional and the only point was to get Garlikid, at no point will anyone acknowledge we did this or obtained the information we have.

Yep.
Wait isn't this a backstory to plot latter on making it weird that no one acknowledges it? Also, 92 is the periodic number for Uranium...

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Some Numbers posted:

Does it get Shadow Sneak? Because if so, Swords Dance/Mach Punch/Shadow Sneak/grass move (Seed Bomb?) sound like a ridiculously good set.

I was thinking more pivoting.

Garlikid@Life Orb
Jolly/Justified
6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Drain Punch
Seed Bomb
Knock Off/Poison Jab/Ice Punch/Fire Punch/Earthquake/Shadow Claw/whatever you need really
U-Turn

Garlikid would be best as an offensive pivot because of its high speed and attack, weird movepool, and high-power STAB draining move. It has some real important resistances, and notably can completely dunk Rotom-Wash and 2HKOs no-investment Garchomps with Drain Punch while outspeeding no-scarf ones. That 3rd move is really that wide of a choice, and is the key to making this work. Lean on U-Turn and Drain Punch really hard and only reveal that 3rd move when you have to, because you want to surprise whatever it hits. Knock Off a notable item, Poison Jab a Tapu, ice over Landot, something. What was once an answer to its STABs is now crashing and burning and it still has that sicknasty Drain Punch.

For gently caress's sake, it doesn't have the worst numbers against Celesteela, hitting 35-42% with Drain Punch on a 252/6 one, and I think that's more of a statement of how grossly powerful Garlikid is than anything. It does get hit by a 120 BP Heavy Slam, alas.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I actually like Raffiti... mostly. It looks way too much like a human with a bad haircut, but it's a good idea.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

God, chainite is even worse than linkite.

Mostly because it made me realize that a ghost dude becoming a substitute doll in an identity crisis, getting over said crisis, and then evolving into a form where its ghostly self is literally breaking of out its substitute prison would be pretty rad, uplifting, little mini narrative.

You know, instead of the edgelord cringe they chose to make with the same base idea.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So basically Garlikid is the hero of love and justice Caped Baldy?

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Gologle posted:

So basically Garlikid is the hero of love and justice Caped Baldy?

Only if he can defeat every foe in one punch :colbert:

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

krisslanza posted:

Only if he can defeat every foe in one punch :colbert:

The One Punch Mon

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Garlikid is so dumb, it bounces to funny.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hemingway To Go! posted:

They're actually proud of making garlickid?
Is he the authors garlic fursona?

My foodsona is a poutine

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Chainete's design is so stupid, it looks like it's wearing the substitute's head as a dumb looking hoodie or something.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Chainete's design is so stupid, it looks like it's wearing the substitute's head as a dumb looking hoodie or something.

If it actually were a spooky edgelord ghost wearing a silly substitute hoodie, it would be amazing. Kind of like the Ghost types that look like mean fellows but are actually just merry pranksters.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

And, you know, an actual good evolution for it would be it remembering what species it was, but still being too attached to its substitute sweater to let it go. I.e. the same haunted pokeball with a cool ghost thing rising out of it, wearing a slightly ill-fitting substitute hoodie in an adorable way.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.

Crazy Achmed posted:

And, you know, an actual good evolution for it would be it remembering what species it was, but still being too attached to its substitute sweater to let it go. I.e. the same haunted pokeball with a cool ghost thing rising out of it, wearing a slightly ill-fitting substitute hoodie in an adorable way.

This would also be a good idea! I mean, my mental bar was set really low by the rest of this game but Chainite is just so, so stupid. Wow.

You could even have an Eevee number of different evolutions for it; fish-shaped ghost wearing the substitute-hoodie if evolved on water, tree shaped one if in a forest, Graveller shaped for in a cave, etc. Maybe an angel-winged one for friendship evo, one that looks more like that punk rat for dislike evo.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

you know what Garlikid reminds me of?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LbWWx80ZPA

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I avoided spoiling myself on the Linkinite evolution, and wow that is the worst design in a game of bad designs by a lot. Can it go any lower?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

we must go obscurer

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Raffiti is pretty doofy-looking but I like it. The eyes hidden by the hair is a good cartoonish look. All it really needs is a little more polish.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

you could probably make a decent possessed substitute doll pokemon but the concept of this thing is too far gone to ever fit thematically with pokemon

They threw a dart and completely missed the Pokemon board and hit OFF instead.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Aesclepia posted:

This would also be a good idea! I mean, my mental bar was set really low by the rest of this game but Chainite is just so, so stupid. Wow.

You could even have an Eevee number of different evolutions for it; fish-shaped ghost wearing the substitute-hoodie if evolved on water, tree shaped one if in a forest, Graveller shaped for in a cave, etc. Maybe an angel-winged one for friendship evo, one that looks more like that punk rat for dislike evo.

It's a trade evo, so even in that factor Uranium fucks it up; there's no way for Chainite to get better without being fundamentally Not Chainite in pretty much every way.

RareAcumen posted:

They threw a dart and completely missed the Pokemon board and hit OFF instead.

And then took that as a sign to make their aesthetic based off a French-made indie game instead of the intended message of just ceasing work on their trainwreck in progress.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I don't know, Chainite is extremely stupid, but I guess I was expecting it to be dumber, somehow? I think after Titanicmon, everything else will underwhelm me.

Also, the Garlikid sidequest is the most stupid thing so far. "Hey guys, everyone likes that FPS level that takes away all the player's guns, right? :downs:"

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

We know there's a legendary Pokemon named Lanthan... I wonder if the two are related...?
The entire mountain is a Mega Stone. It can Mega Evolve whenever you fight a battle in the mountain.

Also, is this one of the legendaries they didn't bother to implement?

We got Hidden Power 13 updates ago. And just now we find the NPC who tells us the type. To contrast, in OR/AS and S&M, they're in the same building.
Will he tell you what type the Pokemon's Hidden Power would be if it knew the move, or only after you've deleted a move to learn Hidden Power?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Commander Keene posted:

Will he tell you what type the Pokemon's Hidden Power would be if it knew the move, or only after you've deleted a move to learn Hidden Power?

I don't know about in Uranium, but in the official games the person tells you what it would be if it knew the move; you don't need to learn it.

Makes sense since if you know the move you can just trial-and-error out what type it is by seeing how it interacts with other pokemon.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Honestly, what with Uranium showing your mans' IVs, I'm surprised the Hidden Power guy exists at all, especially given that the type of person who'd know how to figure Hidden Power type from a Pokemon's IVs seems to be exactly the sort of person this game was aimed at.

(Saitama's hidden power would be ghost type, incidentally)

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

gently caress you for reminding me of this

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Herr Tog posted:

gently caress you for reminding me of this

How could you ever forget food with attitude?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I keep trying to come up with non-edgelord designs for Chainite and I keep looping back to Mimikyu but with a substitute doll instead of a Pikachu cosplay.

One possible variation I could think of is an amorphous ghost holding the substitute doll as a teddy bear. The ghost still has no real form but is no longer ashamed of it and doesn't need to hide in the substitute any more.

Also, the folks of the Sage Discord wanted me to say hi.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Schubalts posted:

same way we forgot looney toon squad reboot in the 90s

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Schubalts posted:

Vodka and therapy.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Asehujiko posted:

I keep trying to come up with non-edgelord designs for Chainite
But what if we pushed it in the other direction?

(seriously though I was expecting something more like this from the description).

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

HardDiskD posted:

Also, the Garlikid sidequest is the most stupid thing so far. "Hey guys, everyone likes that FPS level that takes away all the player's guns, right? :downs:"

The only good use of the 'take away all the players gear' cliche I can think of is Eventide Island in LoZ Breath of the Wild which is one of the cooler shire quests.

However unlike the Garlikid sidequest, Eventide is:
-Not story related in any way.
-Out of the way, you have to deliberately travel to a distant island in the far corner of the map.
-Doesn't take away all your upgrades, just weapons and armor.
-In a game where you're continuously collecting new weapons anyway.
-Actually Fun.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Scarodactyl posted:

(seriously though I was expecting something more like this from the description).

:gonk:

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Scarodactyl posted:

This would be a great enemy in a game that wasn't pokemon. It's really fine piece of work!

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Vorpal Cat posted:

The only good use of the 'take away all the players gear' cliche I can think of is Eventide Island in LoZ Breath of the Wild which is one of the cooler shire quests.

However unlike the Garlikid sidequest, Eventide is:
-Not story related in any way.
-Out of the way, you have to deliberately travel to a distant island in the far corner of the map.
-Doesn't take away all your upgrades, just weapons and armor.
-In a game where you're continuously collecting new weapons anyway.
-Actually Fun.

half life two?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Scarodactyl posted:

I could see this in a Persona game or something.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, that's a pretty good design and some very nice spritework, but it does not belong anywhere near a Pokemon game at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I think it's actually a slightly better design for pokemon by virtue of getting rid of the spiky pokeball, go figure.

• Locked thread